Letters to the Editor

Parking issue

March 18, 2009

To the editor:

I parked the car, paid the meter, took the children to the library. I came out to find a $40 ticket on my windshield. “Improper stall parking,” it said. I look at the lines. Was I over the lines? No. Then I noticed the back of my car was hanging over the sidewalk. At first it was upsetting, then I had to laugh. Was this in the driver’s license handbook? Later I learned the ticket was because I had backed into the parking stall. It is a city ordinance. Who knows that?

Also, I was told by another “parkee” at the library that if you do not pay your meter immediately — in other words, if you take time to get your child out of the car first — you are in violation of paying the meter. Times have certainly changed. One plus though: The lady doing the story time was well worth the $40.

Fran Johnson,
Lawrence

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

Improper stall parking,” sounds like something a horse would get.

yobrigidey 5 years, 9 months ago

I too got one of these tickets after backing into a metered spot. I have been backing into the same spot every day since August, and was just now given a ticket. It took 3 hours of research and multiple friends to find a description of the law I had broken. It seems as if the City of Lawrence is in desperate need of some additional revenue.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 9 months ago

thomgreen 5 years, 9 months ago

$40 ?!?!? Talk about a punishment that doesn't seem to fit the crime. How does backing into a stall carry such a high fine?

Kirk Larson 5 years, 9 months ago

I believe the reason is so the patrolling police cars can see the license plates while looking for stolen/wanted cars.

kansas778 5 years, 9 months ago

Cappy (Anonymous) says…

"Sorry, but I have always known that you aren't supposed to back into parking stalls. No sympathy here."

It wasn't for backing into the stall, the ticket my mother got was because the trunk of the car was partially hanging over the sidewalk.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 9 months ago

Is Fran your mom? That's not what her LTE says. I know you don't block the sidewalk either. Also on the "why you don't do it", when people park in the middle of a lot, in the "herringbone" area, with their rears to the middle, when they pullout they are going the wrong way.

weatherguy48 5 years, 9 months ago

demonfury (Anonymous) says…

Maybe the next time you are at the library Fran, you can go online and read the Kansas State Driving Manual. You might even find other regulations / laws that you break on a routine basis. I feel that Lawrence should raise the fines even more, and fine the hell out of violators, over and over again, until those who are ignorant, and care less about the rules, learn them, and follow them. No sympathy here whatsoever.

Oh you shut the hell up. No lives or property were put in danger by parking the car in backwards.

imastinker 5 years, 9 months ago

I have to sympathize. Not only did I not know that this is a problem, but I tend to park like that because I get in trouble for my back end hanging out too far (some parking spots aren't big enough for a pickup). I got a $35 parking ticket at KU for that - I was in as far as I could go (6" left in front), but was "blocking traffic" because my back end hung out too far.

MYOB 5 years, 9 months ago

demonfury- Were you serious or just being sarcastic? If serious, then get a life!

Jeremy 5 years, 9 months ago

Weatherguy,

If your car is blocking the sidewalk and I have to walk into the street to get around it, my life or my child (who is being pushed in a stroller) is endangered.

How about when my kids have to ride their bicycle into the street to go around a car that is blocking the sidewalk?

No sympathy on this end either.

kmat 5 years, 9 months ago

I think this state passes out drivers licenses to anyone that asks. The test they give is a joke and everyone just uses the cheat book to fill it out. I think they should start giving more tickets out to teach people what the rules are. You block a sidewalk, you get a ticket. Other states are really nasty about breaking small rules like this and have much bigger fines.

I want cops to start pulling people over on the highway for using the left lane as their regular driving lane. It's for passing!!! They do it out west, but never in the midwest. People out here have no idea how to drive or what the rules of the road are.

passionatelibra 5 years, 9 months ago

You can use the driver's manual to take the driver's license test?

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 9 months ago

That's the way the dirty sob's do ya. Thank you, Lynn

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

As stated in the original letter, the woman said she violated a city ordinance. Don't know if many people know EVERY single city ordinance. Now, if it was in the manual, you should know it.
And btw, are you supposed to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk?

kmat 5 years, 9 months ago

passionatelibra (Anonymous) says…

You can use the driver's manual to take the driver's license test?

Yes. Once you have an established license, they just send you the test in the mail and you fill it out and take it in.

In driver's ed, they let everyone use the manual while taking the test. No one ever learns a thing. I can say KS drivers are some of the worst in the country. I've been all over, and only FL and MO have surpassed the suckiness of KS drivers.

I always thought a KS driver's license was a price in every box of Cracker Jacks because it was so easy to get.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 9 months ago

mom o' 3

Riding on sidewalk OK 'cept within, I think, 100 ft of business entrance or pretty much anywhere downtown. There's a lots of streets where it's unsafe to ride anywhere BUT the sidewalk. Them cars'll hit ya!

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 9 months ago

Give us a break, how long r u going to print this letter? Thank you, Lynn