Letters to the Editor

Class envy

March 16, 2009

To the editor:

In the March 11 Public Forum, Fred Whitehead Jr. states “Rush Limbaugh is not a conservative.” Rush is the conservative’s conservative.

Whitehead states, “He is a self-serving employee of his self-aggrandized EIB network. Conservative translation: Rush is a successful, productive businessman, who believes in capitalism and the United States Constitution. (Typical case of class envy). It is just “not fair for someone to be so successful.” Boo hoo.

There is a cure for class envy. Get rid of your victim mentality and join the productive members of society. Rise to the challenge. Become an achiever and vanquish your belief that you are a poor victim of circumstance. Keep in mind, it takes effort to not be a victim. I would welcome you to the productive members of our democracy.

Fred makes a reference to the size of Rush Limbaugh’s audience as small or “imaginary.” Fact: Rush is the most successful talk radio host in the history of broadcasting. Twenty-two million “imaginary” listeners tune in every day. The January/February data shows a significant increase in listeners over the same time last year. You need to have facts when you attempt to trash someone. After all Rush is just a harmless little fuzz ball. Ha!

I would love to see you debate the issues with the likes of Rush. I am guessing it would take about one-eighth of his brain to shut you down. Remember, next time you attack someone, have some facts not just class envy and anger.

Kyle Givens,
Lawrence

Comments

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

Kyle-

If you were a smart Republican, you would stop defending Rush and start talking about the issues. You have fallen into the Democrats' trap. Instead of looking at the all of the money they are spending and for what, you are talking about a man who is a talk-show host, and is paid $400 million to defend himself. Forget about Rush. Look at what the President is doing to destroy the fabric of the country.

justforfun 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow!! Somebody loves Rush!!
Kyle it was just a LTE don't get so worked up! SHEESH!!!!. I don't know about you but I'm ready for Rush to talk about Quarterbacks in the NFL again??? That worked well last time! Ha Ha

BrianR 5 years, 9 months ago

This letter begins with a false premise, hits rock bottom and begins to dig. Brilliant, Kyle.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

Was class envy Rush's latest talking point? It seems like it's getting tossed around a lot, and when that happens it usually originates with one of the talking heads or another.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 9 months ago

Jeez Kyle.What were you doing with your other hand while penning this tidbit?

I pray that someday you will be able to speak your own mind and not replicated stimuli.We have parrots for that.

grammaddy 5 years, 9 months ago

We have parrots for that...like Nancy-Tom.

think_about_it 5 years, 9 months ago

Nothing like a LTE that speaks the truth to get the libs' panties in a bunch. You guys are extra frothy this morning.

redmoonrising 5 years, 9 months ago

Just depends on how one view's Robin Hood, the hero or the evil doer.

jafs 5 years, 9 months ago

Ok, I usually ignore this "class envy" stuff, but I can't this morning.

It is absurd to suggest that all of us who are concerned about the massive differences between the rich and the rest of us have "class envy".

There are many reasons to be concerned about this problem - studies have shown that societies in which the wealth is more equally distributed seem to have a happier population, for example.

Also, relatively few people will ever make it to the "rich" category, so the idea that we can all make it if we just work hard is unrealistic.

I have no problem with Rush Limbaugh - if enough people want to listen to him that he can make a good living, fine. Of course, given the little I've heard from him, it makes me wonder why so many do listen.

And, for the record, I have no "class envy" - I've always had enough, and been quite satisfied with my lifestyle, which is modest by mainstream American standards.

beawolf 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I can't believe anyone would actually defend Limbaugh. He is a narcissistic, racist, homophobic, bigoted, clown.

sci4all 5 years, 9 months ago

Limbaugh supports the Constitution alright. We know this because here's what he said about it at CPAC (from http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_030209/content/01125106.guest.html):

"We believe that the preamble to the Constitution contains an inarguable truth that we are all endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights, among them life. Liberty, Freedom. And the pursuit of happiness. "

Pssst - hey Rush - that's not the Constitution. It's not even an accurate version of the Declaration of Independence. Go Rush! Keep showing us how much your version of the Republican party cares about our country's founding document.

Class envy? Hardly. More like a$$ envy: moderate Republicans wish the Democrats had a self-appointed spokesperson with so much certitude and so little actual knowledge.

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't listen to Rush because he is a numnut, and has nothing to do with class envy. He doesn't have his finger on the pulse of anything.

rtwngr 5 years, 9 months ago

Excellent letter, Kyle!!! Don't look for much agreement in this town. I read some of the negative replies and they sound like they are literally pulling lines from the Communist Manifesto. We are merely the bourgoisie trampling the proletariat under foot. Karl Marx and Frederick Engels would be so proud.

repaste 5 years, 9 months ago

I think Palin did herself in Tom. Trashing the other party is a republican thing, not democrat. Without palin we might of had a chance.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon): The problem I have is that the Democratic Party (and liberals follow, naturally) exploit victimization to the Nth degree for political gain.

Poor Tom, you're simply a victim of the liberals use of victimization as policy. Life must be so hard! But wait, you're capitalizing on your status as a victim to make a political argument. Are you sure you're not a liberal? You seem to meet your own criteria pretty well. Maybe not to the Nth degree yet, but your on your way!

BrianR 5 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps the writer should have expolored the relationship between class and wealth before writing his letter.

No amount of money or income can buy class.

BrianR 5 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps the writer should have explored the relationship between class and wealth before writing his letter.

No amount of money or income can buy class.

deskboy04 5 years, 9 months ago

Why do we call it "class envy" when a policy doesn't favor the rich?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 9 months ago

If you're a millionaire or billionaire seeking to pay as few taxes as possible while exponentially increasing your wealth by outsourcing jobs, you're a hardworking capitalist hero. If you're a blue collar worker seeking not to get thrown out of your house, get a decent health insurance policy that doesn't bankrupt you and maybe make it possible for your kids to at least get into a community college, you're guilty of "class warfare."

Come on dittoheads, it's a stupid unsupportable argument. Give it up.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

Rush is a drug addict. Whether he is in recovery shouldn't matter to the likes of him.... Just throw em in Jail.... that's what he said before getting caught.

deskboy04 5 years, 9 months ago

How do you feel about those capitalists at AIG?

Rex Russell 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't have class envy. I am looking mostly at what is fair and what is not fair. Went to school. Did well enough. Got a wife and two kids. Bought a house. Raising my kids with a sense of fairness and hard work. Here's what I resent-not envy. If my wife and I work hard every day, pay our bills, mortgage on time and teach my kids the same, I can still lose my job. And the house. And a chance for my kids to go to college and become something. If the rich turn into the super-rich, and the middle-class disappears slowly into the working poor with no hope, there is going to be a revolt they cannot stop. If this path that we are on is allowed to continue much longer, they are going to create communist thinking people out of ordinary Americans. The irony is that that can't happen without the preaching of the Unbridled Unapologetic Capitalism. The fantasy that everything Wall Street does is good for the country is just that-a fantasy. We all had better hope that there is better oversight and regulation to come. If not, there is going to be trouble. We are at the edge.

BigDog 5 years, 9 months ago

Damn .... we need to stop looking at one party or another .... as far as I am concerned .... both have contributed to the significant problems our country has economically ..... both have crooks in them ..... both have members who look out for what's best for them or their large contributors and not what's best for our country as a whole ...... both parties are responsible for spending us into the huge deficits we have ..... both are responsible for removing regulations that contributed to the banking industry problems.

And if you believe that this same bunch is going to fix the very same problems they have created ..... like putting top executives of companies we are bailing out to oversee banking reform ..... what's next a guy to oversee the IRS who doesn't pay taxes (wait that has happened .... oops too late)

This new crap is the same as having a company Cheney worked for getting huge no-bid contracts. Just to name one of the very questionable happenings ..... run up and huge profits for oil companies could be another

The American people have to stop tolerating this kind of stuff .... both on the local and national level .....regardless of party affiliation. It is time country means more than any political party.

womanwarrior 5 years, 9 months ago

rrussell, I couldn't have said it better. Hardworking people are tired of being considered a liability instead of an asset to a company. I work hard and have never been fired from a job, only left for better pay and benefits. You can't tell me these executives at the banks and AIG didn't know that they were making bad decisions which would look good in the short run, but really bad in the long run. Can someone tell me why they deserve bonuses in the millions? Because they are smart enough to rip off people? I don't envy the criminal class, thank you very much.

As for Rush, he's an entertainer, period. Lots of entertainers get paid more than they are worth, but he should stay out of the Republican party, because he'll only hurt them.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom: "the dishonest mainstream media took care of the decorating (and trashing the party [Palin] down"

That darn media! I guess it was the media that made Palin say that Obama was "pallin' around with terrorists," and when asked serious questions, I guess it was the media that tossed dust in her eye, making her wink in response. It must also have been the media that knocked up Palin's underage daughter, staged and then cancelled a shotgun wedding, then had the nerve of getting the mother of the knocker-upper arrested on charges of selling drugs. That darn media and their tricky questions and willy ways.

Yep, it was the media's fault. Sure it was, just as anyone who criticizes Rush Limbaugh, or George Soros or Lew Perkins for that matter, is suffering from class envy. Yep, that must be the case.

Rex Russell 5 years, 9 months ago

Pilgrim2- I used to be, as a matter of fact. Used to be a contractor. Started my own business from scratch. Wife lost her job at Maupintour after 7 years as a manager. She had the insurance, so I stayed home w/ kids for 18 months. You do what you have to do. Now she is at KU. Your comments still don't address what I said in any fashion. Just smug,smarmy, and not really on topic.

BigDog 5 years, 9 months ago

Pilgrim2 (Anonymous) says…

BigDog (Anonymous) says…

You mean like the one the Clinton administration awarded before Cheney was even on the political radar?

Pilgrim2 - I didn't know Clinton was President during 2003-2004 (when many no-bid contracts were given to Haliburton) and was running the Iraq war......

also Cheney not on a political radar ....hmmmm ... he has been a political insider for many years ..... started in Washington in 1969 during Nixon adminisration ..... worked for Donald Rumsfeld, was White House Chief of Staff, Congressman from Wyoming, Secretary of Defense ....

maybe alot like the Clinton re-treads we have now .... many of these people have been attached to the Washington political game for years

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 9 months ago

Ha, ha, ha,!!!!! Boy, Kyle, you REALLY started something!

Grundoon Luna 5 years, 9 months ago

Class envy? You might as well say, "They're just jealous, nya, nya, nya, nya, nya, nya." That is so Junior HIgh. There is nothing envious about getting pissed when others are getting way far ahead at your expense and it's facilitated the former government.

Rush is pathetic sleazebag and blind aliegence to him will see your party sautee in failure. Honestly, I can't wait so keep on keepin' on Rush!

FenixKS 5 years, 9 months ago

You're only a victim if you've allowed someone to take advantage of you.

Kyle, dear, you're a "victim" of Rush's rhetoric. Stop allowing him to pollute your soul.

Rex Russell 5 years, 9 months ago

Pilgram- Now you're just making stuff up. I don't think my boss or my company is evil. As a matter of fact, it's the best place I've ever worked besides working for myself. Never complained once about it. Grasp this if you can. If people at the top of this worldwide financial foodchain do irresponsible and unethical things on a daily basis,- I can't stop them. I'm here in Lawrence doing my job. Whether it's self employeed or working for someone else. Doesn't matter. At this scale, they will take and let the rest of the country crumble with little or no conscience about it. I got a problem with that. Your insinuation that I'm somehow a lazy whiner is about as far from the truth as possible. I'll stack my work ethic and history against yours any day. My problem is that I can bust my a** and still get screwed by people you'd rather defend.

KS 5 years, 9 months ago

Kyle: Good letter. We have now again seen proof of how the left works. If they can't argue the point, they will attack you personally. "Just the facts, madam!"

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

Gee KS, how did you miss all of those pilgrim posts? Or is pilgrim a leftist to you?

Oh, and what, pray tell, have You contributed to this thread? This last post appears to be a personal attack, devoid of any facts at all. Pretty much the same as the LTE, that has one fact in a whole slew of personal attacks, that fact being that Rush is successful. Of course, so is Larry the Cable Guy, and Carlos Mencia.

Blindness and hypocricy. Good show.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 9 months ago

I see.And just what "facts" is Kyle bringing to the table? I see him "attacking" another LTE by announcing his allegiance to a rightwinged circlejerk which has made Rush Limbaugh their pivot-man. It is amusing to watch the rightwingers stumble around in the dark grasping for new icons and catch phrases.Unfortunately for them Rush is the best that they can come up with so far.I do believe that his radio show and immense exposure will ultimately prevent him from ever being elected to a government office should he ever choose to run but who knows?The Governator did it.

There is no question in my mind that Rush Limbaugh is a genius.He has supurb speeking skills and is a marketing wizard and Kyle's letter is proof that his seductive talk works on a certain class of people/intelligence. Rush publicly disclaims his comments as being his opinion and nothing more by tongue in cheekly proclaiming himself as next to god.Sadly,there is a population in this country who do not understand his approach to marketing and buy every word.

I shudder to think what Kyle's vision of a perfect America would be if he even has one (of his own).Even more disturbing is the thought of, what will the next conservative/separatist cult leader instill on the gullible minds in this country?

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

"Even more disturbing is the thought of, what will the next conservative/separatist cult leader instill on the gullible minds in this country?"

Here's a case where you shouldn't include conservative as if they're the only ones.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 9 months ago

Of course they are not the only ones.I am just responding to Kyle's letter and KS' cheerleading.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

True, but Mr. Whitehead's referenced letter had a pretty major Godwin in the middle of it that was it's only real content.

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

Thank you Mr. GIvens for all of the Limbaugh dittohead cliches. I hadn't seen any of those for at least 15 minutes. It was so refreshing to know that we still have people dedicated to reciting the Limbaugh main themes. You could have said a little more about socialism and remind people to be very afraid of that, as I am certain we will be standing in bread and toilet paper lines soon if we don't get the word out. So, thanks again.

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

See, I have been accused of having "class envy," but actually never realized that Limbaugh had any class. So, ..... I'm confused about this.

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

So, maybe he meant a$$ envy, cause Limbaugh has a lot of that, but ..... a, I'm not sure.

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

So a, conservatives who complain about people being on welfare are envious of those folks? That would follow logically I think, wouldn't it?

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

I guess I am also envious of Limbaugh's drug addiction problems, oh and also I am envious of his inability to be married. Boy, I wish I could be more like Limbaugh, wouldn't that be great?

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

In the last eight years, there was a significant growth of millionaires. Likely, that was a result of socialism. Run now, run fast and be very afraid. If that keeps up, we are all going to end up millionaires. OMG, run very very fast.

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

I am very troubled about people finding affordable housing. It is right up there with people being able to make enough from work to be able to feed themselves and pay their bills. I find that extremely troubling. What kind of society would ever want this kind of thing. I say run, run now, get away from these socialistic demons I say.

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

I think the government should only subsidize auto companies, banks, wall street, farmers, corporations who send their manufacturing to other cheap labor countries, and give tax breaks to the wealthy, all that is good, but never make sure that the working people will make it. Let those dogs suffer. It will make them tough. You start taking care of the working stiffs and the next thing you know, we will all be in soup kitchens and busting up rocks, wearing uniforms and begging for coal to keep us warm. I say run, run now and don't look back. Stop the evil socialists now, before it is too late!

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

Lab monkey, I don't think there is much fabric left after Bush and Cheney finished it off. We are having to borrow fabric to start trying to remake something, hadn't you noticed?

temperance 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm with rshrink on this one -- Rush is the only way to stop the Socialist Menace, and anyone who disagrees clearly has class envy. Simple. as. that.

Hey, not to change the subject, but does anyone else find the wild gyrations of Parkinson's sufferers totally hilarious? That ad Michael J Fox did a few years ago was a non-stop laugh riot, with his body shaking and arms flailing. Funny stuff!!!

Palin/Limbaugh in 2012!!

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

Temperance, Thank you for your support. Yah, I laughed my bottom off. Limbaugh/Palin or vice versa (Stop the commies)

Bob Hechlor 5 years, 9 months ago

The Diagnostic Manual is now recognizing a new disorder which has been labeled, socialist phobia, under the heading of anxiety disorder.

It is usually a subcategory, generally seen as a part of a larger syndrome known as the Limbaugh Malaise.

Limbaugh Malaise Syndrome or LMS is characterized by the following symptoms:

1. A sense that there is always an impending catastrophy
  2. Paranoia stemming from people with differing political views
  3. A general sense that people cannot be trusted
  4. A compulsion to speak dramatically about one's point of view rather constantly in an effort to get others to take on your fears
  5. Difficulty relating with others without the use of a microphone
  6. A compulsion to put on weight and smoke cigars
  7. A desire to go to foreign countries and take Viagra
  8. Difficulty staying married possibly leading to avoidance of long term relationships

5 of the 8 symptoms are required to make the diagnosis.

Also consider eating disorder, drug addiction, borderline and histrionic personality disorders.