Letters to the Editor

Better on radio

March 11, 2009

To the editor:

Whenever KU is having trouble, I turn off the TV and listen to the game on the radio. The Jayhawks play better on the radio than they do on the TV.

Ben H. Barteldes,
Lawrence

Comments

KS 5 years, 9 months ago

Ben: I sometimes find out that they do better when I turn them off or leave the room. Strange, isn't it?

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

I have turned off the tv sound and listened to the radio many times this year. Chris Piper is sometimes more neutral than the announcers on tv.

cowboy 5 years, 9 months ago

Ben is correct , but they seem to play faster on the radio , about five seconds faster than they do on my dish network.

could lazer / klwn delay the fm broadcast about five seconds so us satellite users could listen to chris and Bob in sync ?

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 9 months ago

I prefer the radio also, but I like to watch the TV with the sound muted because 9 times out of 10 the announcers irritate me.

My only complaint is the lag time. I wish they could get rid of that and then a lot more people would listen to the radio.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 9 months ago

Cowboy and Jayhawk: I'll pass on a great tip from my son-in-law. On KLWN, the radio broadcast generally lags behind a few seconds. If you have TIVO/DVR, just press "pause" momentarily and work with it a few times in order to sync Bob and Chris with the TV broadcast. I would add that the CBS announcers for the Texas game were very poorly informed and at times hardly seemed to be paying attention to the game, which caused me to switch to the radio broadcast rather quickly. Of course, if Billy Packer is anywhere near the TV microphone, it's mandatory before the game starts.

grammaddy 5 years, 9 months ago

They seem to do better if I go outside for a smoke. I always miss the best plays that way.

somebodynew 5 years, 9 months ago

I just can't stand the lag time.

That and they seem to do better when I drink large amounts of beer and then yell and scream at the announcers (none of which pay any attention to the game).

Oh- and throwing things at the TV sometimes works too - buy one has to be careful to pick soft and fuzzy things in case one actually hits the set.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 9 months ago

Can we put Ben in a Hall of Fame of some sort? The man is incomparable.

@ cato -- Don't know if you heard, but they fired Packer after last year. If there was one thing that could make me even more excited about the tournament, that would be it.

AJ_Hawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Dear flamingdragon,

Please give it up. Your comments are getting old.

I've even reviewed your old posts and have realized that you used to post without an accent. Please return to your old ways.

Thanks, AJ_Hawk

PS: Keep writing Ben. I love your letters.

q_ball2kand1 5 years, 9 months ago

Dear flamingdragon, Crack me up every time. Thanks

AJ_Hawk 5 years, 9 months ago

flamingdragon,

Thanks for clearing that up about your sister flamingdragon. Her English is a lot better than yours. You could learn a few things from her.

The dumb western-racist-typical missourian attitude comment was uncalled for though.

AJ_Hawk.

appleaday 5 years, 9 months ago

Genius: We should name a street after Ben.

HermioneElliott 5 years, 9 months ago

flamingdragon you don't need to apolozise for your writing. I enjoyed your post very much. I think we should all write and speak our minds and let the chips fall where they may. I refuse to be manipulated by someone using being offended or having their feelings hurt as an excuse to make me feel bad or shut me up. The "letter" is about the size of a tweet.