Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at lawrenceks.org
Tavern asks for sidewalk seating area
City commissioners will consider allowing the downtown tavern Eighth Street Taproom to set up a special seating area on the sidewalks along Eighth and New Hampshire streets.
The city has limited sidewalk seating areas to restaurants, but last year commissioners let bars apply for a new sidewalk hospitality license. Among other things, bars must show that they don’t have another option other than the sidewalk for outdoor seating. Several bar owners said the smoking ban makes outdoor seating areas necessary.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Feb. 24.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims; approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Award bid for nine police cars for the police department to Shawnee Mission Ford for $196,896.
b.) Award City Bid No. B09014, Project No. PW0904, 2009 Crack Seal Program, to Missouri Pavement Maintenance Inc. for $242,000.
c.) Set bid date of March 24 for City Bid No. B09019, Project No. PW0905, 2009 Curb and Gutter Replacement Program.
d.) Authorize staff to advertise a request for proposals for Design and Construction Phase Engineering Services for Option 4 in the replacement of the Waste Water Plant Administrative Building Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system.
• Adopt the following resolutions:
a.) Resolution No. 6821, authorizing the mayor to sign Agreement 22-09 with the secretary of transportation for reimbursement of costs for the 2010 KLINK project, 23rd Street (Kansas Highway 10), Haskell Avenue to the east city limits.
b.) Adopt Resolution No. 6824, authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds in the amount of $450,000 for the milling and overlay of 23rd Street (K-10), Haskell Avenue to the east city limits. This amount has been funded in the Capital Improvement Budget.
c.) Adopt Resolution No. 6822, authorizing the mayor to sign the application for the 2009 Emergency Shelter Grant from the city to the state of Kansas.
d.) Adopt Resolution No. 6823, setting a hearing date of April 28 to discuss the condition of the structure at 1207 E. 13th St. and to consider declaring the structure unsafe and ordering its repair or removal within a period of time.
e.) Authorize the mayor to execute resolutions of support and eligibility for the transportation enhancement projects, as authorized by the City Commission on March 3, 2009.
• Approve unanimous recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission (TSC) for a trial installation of pavement markings at the shared-use path/driveway crossings along the south side of Sixth Street between Folks Road and K-10. The Bicycle Advisory Committee will report back after six months.
• Receive request from Lawrence-Douglas County Chapter of the Kansas Equality Coalition to revise Chapter X of the human rights ordinance to include gender identity as a protected category. Refer to staff and the Human Relations Commission for a report.
• Receive letter from AT&T regarding the introduction of AT&T U-Verse TV Internet Protocol-based next generation video product to customers in Lawrence on or after April 1.
• Receive Downtown Lawrence Inc. 2008 Fourth Quarter Report.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Gale Fleming, 204 N. Minn.
• Approve as “signs of community interest” a request from St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church to place temporary signs on church property at various times throughout 2009 promoting various church activities.
• Authorize the publication of the proposed amendment to the 2009 budget and establish March 24 as the public hearing date.
• Authorize the city manager to sign a lease agreement with the Lawrence school district for the use of baseball/softball diamonds at the Sport 2 Sport Complex at the cost of $4,800.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Conduct hearing and consider approving Site Plan SP-02-10-08 and the sidewalk dining and hospitality license for Eighth Street Taproom, 801 N.H.
• Conduct public hearing to consider the vacation of 10 feet of right-of-way of 12th Street and the vacation of an unused 10 foot utility easement along the northern boundary of Lot 1, Block 1, Delaware Commons Addition II, as requested by Tenants to Homeowners Inc.
• Consider the issuance of a request for qualifications to allow the city to select an engineering firm for sanitary sewer and water infrastructure at the Lawrence Municipal Airport.
• Receive staff memo regarding quorum ordinance requirements.