Archive for Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Scare tactics

June 17, 2009

To the editor:

In response to Diane Hoffmann, the pro-life advocate who wrote her movement would not be silenced, I do not pretend to speak for the entire movement but as one pro-choice advocate, I can assure you I do not ask you to be silent. Just as the 14th Amendment protects a woman’s right to privacy in determining her reproductive options, so does the 1st Amendment protect both your right to “freedom of speech” and “the right of the people to PEACEFULLY assemble” (emphasis added).

My parents taught me that with privilege comes responsibility. While it is common in America for people to know each and every right they have been given, it is rarer for people to understand that those rights come with responsibilities. As Americans we are not required to agree with how each citizen chooses to exercise his/her constitutionally protected rights. However, in demanding the freedom to exercise those rights ourselves, we must have the courage to trust others with those same rights. Using the above scare tactics to intimidate others in an attempt to deny them their constitutional rights is cowardly and shows a basic misunderstanding of and disrespect for our Constitution, our Bill of Rights and our country.

Carmody is from Lawrence

Comments

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

Nancy Tom-lack of responsibility on which side? Are you taking responsibility for your half? Unless you have a uterus, please shut up.

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

I didn't say you did. I'm tired of men trying to have some input on what is clearly a womens' issue. Are men taking any responsibility for contraception? Not much. If and when they ever do, then they MIGHT get a say. If men were the ones that had to give birth to the child and take complete responsibility for it's care and feeding, abortion would be the law.

motocross 5 years, 6 months ago

You make me sick grammaddy.... Smile, your mom chose life!!!

Satirical 5 years, 6 months ago

Kay.... "When your movement resorts to stalking, harassment, intimidation, trespassing, vandalism, bombings, assault and, yes, murder, you have abused your rights."

When was this advocated by conservatives generally, or in the article she mentions?

Also, you might want to look into the protests, harassment of a certain religious group, and vandalism after Prop. 8 to see if liberals practice what they preach.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 6 months ago

Freedom of Choice. It's the American Way.

Guns_R_Good 5 years, 6 months ago

"What I do ask, however, is that your movement understand you do not have a monopoly on civil rights. When your movement resorts to stalking, harassment, intimidation, trespassing, vandalism, bombings, assault and, yes, murder, you have abused your rights."

-This coming from the side of the arguement that kills babies. So does that mean your 14th Amendment rights no longer hold?

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

I am not going to be around later to see where this goes, and will no doubt be interesting. But I don't know how pro-life advocates overlook the rights of the mother. Everyone talks about the rights of the fetus (baby, lifeform), but by advocating for the baby, aren't you overlooking the rights of the mother to do with her own body?

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

Motocross- so did yours, the operable word being "chose" as in a woman's right to choose. Get it?

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Tom, "their STD's"? Now there are STDs exclusive to feminists?

Okay, then there is bound to be a form of constipation exclusive to conservatives.

staff04 5 years, 6 months ago

bea-

It's not exactly exclusive to conservatives, but Larry Craig, Ted Haggard, Ed Schrock and many others demonstrated it for the world!

gogoplata 5 years, 6 months ago

Enough with the uterus crap already! Having a uterus does not give you the right to kill. If it was really just a part of a womans body I would agree that the woman should be in charge of what to do with it. It is a separate body, a separate life, a separate individual with rights that need to be protected.

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

I am a woman. I have a uterus so I guess that gives me the RIGHT to say this. Abortion is murder. Period. What about the rights of the woman? What about the RIGHTS of the baby!? He/She didn't ask to be conceived. No I do not condone the murder of Dr. Tiller. I am PRO-LIFE which means respecting ALL life. Also the man should have some say in matters of abortion. The child is half his DNA. If the woman carried to term, you bet she would be knocking on his door for child support!

KansasVoter 5 years, 6 months ago

Abortion is not murder. You anti-choice terrorists need to get that through your heads. It's a legal medical procedure.

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

Music_girl, and rightly so although she may never get it. Maybe if more men were stepping up to the plate and helping support that child once it is born women might be a little more hesitant to get an abortion. BTW abortion has been legal since 1973 in this country. Instead of fighting with the pro-choice people, why not take it up with the legislature.They are the ones with the power to change the law. Nancy-Tom- I also burned mine since our wonderful government decided my name must be masculine and tried to draft me. Are you trying to say that abortion leads to STD's?

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

KansasVoter, just because it's legal doesn't make it right. It used to be legal to own slaves. Segregation used to be legal. Does not mean it was right. Maybe one day our society will evolve enough to realize that killing babies isn't right either.

gogoplata 5 years, 6 months ago

dpowers 5 years, 6 months ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The "pro-life" movements concern for human rights begins at conception and ends at birth. How many unwanted children have you adopted, Nancy-boy and all?

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The “pro-life” movements concern for human rights begins at conception and ends at birth"

Then you've said nothing whatsoever at least twice. Are you so thick to 'believe' that pro-lifer's don't adopt? Pro-lifer's are anti-children? You're not the only idiot to spout that drivel, just the latest, dpowers.

By the way, my parents are staunch pro-lifer's and adopted three children.

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

dpowers (Anonymous) says…

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The “pro-life” movements concern for human rights begins at conception and ends at birth. How many unwanted children have you adopted, Nancy-boy and all?

Music_Girl says:

The prolife movement is actually concerned with all life from conception to NATURAL death. Not that I expect my words to have much of an impact on you. Also as a matter of fact my parents adopted a sibling set of 3 because they were taken away from parents who counldn't/wouldn't take care of them. I, too, have no issue with adoption and have offered to adopt a couple of friends' baby when they found out they were pregnant and considered abortion. Fortunately they changed their minds, carried the baby to term and were very happy with their choice.

Calliope877 5 years, 6 months ago

"Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call And she sweared god d@mn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore.

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose Then you really might know what it's like." -- Everlast

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

There are people out there who do understand and are willing to help those that have gone through such a life altering experience. There is a wonderful group called Rachel's Vineyard who works with post abortion mothers, fathers and grandparents. Their website is http://www.rachelsvineyard.org

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

"Abortion is murder. You pro choice terrorists need to get that through your heads."

Great argument. That should just about wrap it up.

KansasVoter 5 years, 6 months ago

News flash: Fetuses aren't people! They're not babies! They're just clumps of cells until they're born. If a woman wants to abort her fetus, it's none of your business. You can't compare fetuses to slaves because black people are people. Fetuses aren't people. And I don't know why you anti-choice terrorists have such a fetish for fetuses. It's not like they're hard to make or rare in any way, and there are already more than enough people in this country and on this planet, so who cares if a few women decide that they don't want their fetuses? It doesn't affect you in any way, so why don't you people just mind your own business?

Kirk Larson 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey Nancy Boy, So only Liberals sleep around? Tell that to Rep Ensign (R-NV) and all the other repub family values hypocrites.

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

KansasVoter, fetuses are indeed people. They are human being. I encourage you to check out this link and would especially draw your attention to page 2, myth 2. http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_01lifebegin1.html The author of the article is a real doctor with a Ph.D. not just some "Pro-life terrorist".

Brent Garner 5 years, 6 months ago

It is very convenient to use an Orwellian newspeak idea to change unborn babies into fetuses. By relabelling them we can treat them as things other than what they are and rationalize and excuse our treatment of them whether that treatment be good or ill. A similar game is played with the term "pro-choice". I have lost track of the number of people who claim to be "pro-choice" but then, in the next breath, claim to be against abortion. What kind of semantics game are you playing? Frankly, abortion is not about what a woman wants to do with her body as it is avoiding responsibility for one's actions--and I include the men in that statement. Responsible people do not engage in activities that can easily result in something they do not want. If you contend otherwise, then you must also feel that we are no better than rutting animals and with as little control over our passions and sexual appetites. I thought we were the sentient ones on this planet?

MyName 5 years, 6 months ago

Tom:

"Responsibility? The lack of it is the root cause for 99% of abortions."

And what part of your butt did you pull that "statistic" from? Exactly how is someone who decides to abort their pregnancy early rather than let the child die in the womb or shortly after birth being "irresponsible"? When someone chooses the lesser of two evils that's not being irresponsible, that's being and adult.

99% of all statistics on the internets are made up. TRUE FACT!!1!!

wyattearp2 5 years, 6 months ago

I think we can solve this nonsense by just sewing shut the wayward uterus', and do away with the roaming penis' of society.

Geez, I don't remember any of this crap happening back in the late 1800's.....but then again, the saloon flies were responsible ladies.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 6 months ago

wyattearp2 (Anonymous) says… Geez, I don't remember any of this crap happening back in the late 1800's…..but then again, the saloon flies were responsible ladies.

Uh, newsflash. Women have been aborting fetuses through herbal, chemical, and physical means for all of human history. It's not like it is a recent development.

dpowers 5 years, 6 months ago

Good for you Music Girl and jaywalker! I am glad that your parents put their money where there mooth is and adopted children. But, I ask you again, HOW MANY HAVE YOU ADOPTED?

If your concern for human rights does not end at birth, then you should have adopted more children than the octomom has given birth to. And I say that the concern ends at birth because many so called "pro-lifers" are in favor of sending 18 year olds off to fight in unjustifiable wars, such as Iraq!

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

"If your concern for human rights does not end at birth, then you should have adopted more children than the octomom has given birth to. And I say that the concern ends at birth because many so called “pro-lifers” are in favor of sending 18 year olds off to fight in unjustifiable wars, such as Iraq!"

Wow. That is one weak, incredibly stupid response, dpowers. By your 'rationale', all pro-lifer's should have adopted more than 8 children each? Brilliant! Then you throw out a grand generalization which on its face is moronic, and, amusingly, leaves a gaping 18 year hole "from birth" to deployment, not that a statement that idiotic needed anything extra to make me laugh.

For your sake I'm hopin' you're still in junior high. By the way, I'm pro-choice, just to point out one more flaw in your thought process. Get back to me when your grow up, kid.

Brent Garner 5 years, 6 months ago

beobachter

More Orwellian newspeak. From where do you derive your definition? Are you, like most liberals and leftists, resorting to a legal definition as determined by some court somewhere? A local attorney reminded me of the fallacy you have brought forth. She told me, "In the US we do not have a justice system. We have a legal system." In otherwords we have decided what is legal not what is right or just. There can be, and often is, a vast difference between what is legal and what is just and right. Consult your history book, unless you have one of the new edited ones they use in the public school system. Slavery was once legal in this country. Should we then say that at that time slavery was right and just? Hardly. By the same token I challenge your decision to "define" that a fetus does not become a baby until leaving the womb.

BigPrune 5 years, 6 months ago

I think 99.99% of the prolife advocates would've rather seen Dr. Tiller in prison than murdered.

dpowers 5 years, 6 months ago

jaywalker, all i'm saying is that there are a lot of children out there waiting to be adopted. I would respond to your personnal attacks upon me, but I will not stupe down to that level. You have never answered my question in the first place.

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

d,

All you're sayin' is absolute garbage with no basis in fact, with no logical assumption or purpose. Ask a real question and I'll be happy to answer it. Whether or not I've adopted one or eight children is none of your business even if the reasoning behind you asking the 'question' was sound, which it certainly is not. Not to mention the whole reason you threw that crap out there is because you falsely believed I was pro-life. So since I'm pro-choice your strawman is rendered moot anyway, what's the point?

By the way, it's "personal" and "stoop". Don't want to undergo a 'personal attack'? Don't post moronic garbage. Now run along and don't forget your juice box at recess.

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

beobachter, how do you define what a "person" is? Just because something breathes air? Physically coming through the birth canal magically makes them more real than they were in the womb? Your logic makes absolutely no sense at all. I'd like to see some sort of scientific evidence to back up your line of "reasoning". Atleast I could provide a reliable and scientific source for my "lame arguments".

dpowers, I am very open to adoption when I am married and have a stable home life to offer. As I am young and still in college it would be irresponsible for me to try and raise children on my own.

kansastruthteller 5 years, 6 months ago

Arrghhhh.....I'm so confused. Is a fetus just a clump of cells or is it a baby......the CA supreme court and other states say it is a baby (at least sometimes). Can it be both?

The state Supreme Court strengthened California's fetal-murder law Monday, declaring that the killing of a pregnant woman counts as two homicides even if the perpetrator was unaware the victim was pregnant. The 6-1 decision overturns a 2002 lower court ruling that said a killer must know the victim was pregnant to be guilty of murdering the fetus.

Music_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

kansas, technically we are all just a huge "clump of cells" I suppose. The case you describe is just another example of trying to use a double standard...you end up shooting yourself in the foot. It's only murder if the mom wanted to keep the baby? Doesn't make much sense does it?

Brent Garner 5 years, 6 months ago

beobachter

A belief not a provable fact. Let me, then, point out a historical fact. Up until the time certain segments of society wanted to make it legitimate to kill the unborn, when a woman was pregnant the unborn child was almost universally referred to as a baby. "With child" was a common and practically universal way of referring to a woman who was pregnant. It is only when we arrive at the point in time of the now infamous Roe v Wade that we decide to change a millenia old "belief" and begin calling the unborn a fetus. That change was made by those advocating the legalized death of the unborn so as to cause people to think differently about the unborn. It was a propaganda move, not a factual move, and it flies in the face of very long term practice.