Archive for Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another tax

June 17, 2009

To the editor:

Add or raise “user fees”? You mean, raise taxes. That’s what “user fees” are. I have already paid for city facilities with my taxes. But the city, like the university and the state, failed to account for the need to budget sufficiently for operating costs and maintenance. What’s next? A “user fee” for the folks who use the tracks at the high schools for their daily run or walk? How about one for the families who use the parks and playgrounds for picnics and entertainment? Say $1/kid/day?

I think I’ll put up toll booths on the sidewalks around my house. I neither asked for nor want them, but I have to replace and maintain them so that the general public can use them. I get to put up with people damaging my landscaping, leaving litter for me to clean up, and using my yard as a pet waste receptacle. I think I’ll charge a “user fee” of 50 cents per trip down my walks. That should cover the cost I incur each year for snow removal and cleanup. It may help me set aside some funds for the repairs I have to do and the insurance coverage I may need.

I have already paid for these city facilities and am not willing to pay again to use them. Come to think of it, I probably won’t vote for another new amenity project.

Meyer is from Lawrence

Comments

KS 6 years, 2 months ago

Meyer: - You are right on. People are just sheepeople and they will go along with it because most of them don't use something that will involve a user fee.

imastinker 6 years, 2 months ago

Bronze,

that's a misleading statistic. Corporation's match part of income taxes, social security, unemployment, and many others. There are stiff real estate taxes that are paid. Corporations pay sales tax on items not for resale. Corporations also pay taxes on earnings. If they don't retain the earnings, they pay it out to owners or stockholders where they get taxed as capital gains.

Brent Garner 6 years, 2 months ago

There are three things I can think of that are never satisfied: 1) the grave, 2) the taxman, and 3) the leftists.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

queequeg (Anonymous) says… Find another town to live in

Watch what you wish for.... we need all the tax revenue we can get. This is NOT the time to be running people out of town... Trust me enough, enough tax-payers have left to greener pastures.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

The residential “boom town” economy has come back to bite us in the butt because residential does not payback the cookie jar thus increased taxes/user fees. The market was flooded before the national scene took place so welcome to a double whammy.

The city commission has no intentions of being a positive player. This commission will continue business as usual….approving more and more residential no matter what.

Their answer is “get more people to move to Lawrence”.

The true answer is tighter markets hold property values up not down.

The powers that be spent the last 20 years expanding the tax base with residential which does not generate enough tax revenue to support city services that neighborhoods demand.

So after 20 years of expanding the tax base where are the tax dollars? Where did the money go?

When economic growth lags or economic displacement is becomes the rule taxes/user fees increase.

Over the years Lawrence has approved approximately 5000 more homes than the market dictated on a “build just in case someone shows up” notion.

Face it flooded residential markets are unfriendly to property owners and property values which again calls for higher taxes/user fees to pay the city bills .

The answer is tighter markets hold property values up not down.

Under "boom town housing economies", in bedroom communities, property values are inflated to generate tax revenue to run the city. When the boom busts artificially high housing values cannot be sustained so here come higher taxes and user fees.

Shane Garrett 6 years, 2 months ago

Obama, I am in fear of my life and I don't have very long. Obama the tax man is coming and he looks like death to me.