Archive for Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Roberts wants Biden to see examples of wasteful stimulus spending while on trip to Kansas

June 10, 2009

— Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts wants Vice President Joe Biden to extend a visit to Kansas to see what Roberts calls wasteful spending of federal stimulus dollars.

Roberts said Wednesday that Biden also should help with efforts to relocate the residents of Treece, a small, environmentally contaminated southeast Kansas town.

Biden plans to visit Overland Park Thursday for the groundbreaking of a new interchange on U.S. 69.

But Roberts said Biden should continue traveling south on U.S. 69 into Cherokee County, where the state plans to spend $760,000 in stimulus funds upgrading a stretch of road.

Comments

Daniel Kennamore 5 years, 3 months ago

"Roberts noted the federal government plans to use the same road under a stimulus-financed project to clean up contamination in the area — damaging the road and possibly forcing its repair a second time."

Why bother maintaining any roads if we'll just have to do it again in a few years?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

beobachter, your lies and half truth have no effect. All you liberals loved to call Bush an idiot but he was elected president of the most powerful nation on earth twice. And yes right wingers loved saying Bill Clinton was an idiot but he was able to be elected twice also. My conclusion is that Bush, Clinton and Roberts have far more on the ball then beobachter does.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

Everyone lies beobachter, deal with it.

RiverCityConservative 5 years, 3 months ago

I think it may be stretching things to say that Bush was elected twice. The first time, it took physical intimidation on the ground in Florida and a biased Supreme Court justice to hand him the election. The second time, the Ohio secretary of state is believed to have stolen the election for Bush. Not exactly a groundswell of support nationwide. :) But we ought to leave those things in the past, along with the errant policies of that hopefully soon forgotten administration. I will say that when I have contacted Roberts' office to express my concerns as a Kansas voter, they have been very polite and helpful in getting my message across, even if it runs up against a brick wall when he receives it himself. On the other hand, when I called the White House in 2003 to express my disagreement with the planned invasion of Iraq, there was actually giggling at their end of the phone. Roberts hasn't been exactly a maverick, but at least he keeps a straight face when listening to the opinions of his constituents. Where are the good old Republicans in the mold of Bob Dole, who had the capacity to express reasoned views that were more nuanced and parsed than can be expressed on a bumper sticker or 3 second sound byte?

Lori Nation 5 years, 3 months ago

How about wasteful spending in this town get rid of our school board members and the useless city officials

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

The republican party is living in fear that the USA may bounce back after 8 years of their war mongering bank fraud economics. The fear is if the USA quality of life improves dramatically they are out of politics for a very long time.

What do they fear? National Health Insurance New Industry thus new jobs thus new wealth for the USA Green Collar Industries which produce jobs that cannot be outsourced A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans Being exposed as the party manipulating the lower middle class,middle class and upper middle class to fund increasing wealth to the upper 1%. Loss of tax incentives/tax breaks that actually create tax increases for entire spectrum of the middleclass thus constantly reducing the wealth of the middleclass. * Clean air,clean water,clean energy and healthy green space scattered throughout america

Godot 5 years, 3 months ago

Who cares? Obama is determined to spend this country into non-existence. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that Roberts can do to stop it.

If I recall correctly, Roberts voted for the TARP. If I am wrong, I hope someone from his office rebuts me immediately. I also recall that Roberts voted for the first GM bailout. Again, if I am wrong, please correct me.

If I am correct in assessing Roberts' voting record, he has no credulity when he complains about the massive fraud, croneyism, and completely unconstitutional abuse of power that is occuring as a result of the passage of TARP. If I am correct in my memory, Roberts voted in favor of granting unlimited power to the executive branch to tax and spend, with no oversight by Congress or the Supreme Court, over the decisions of the President and the Treasury Secretary with regard to the allocation and spending of TARP funds. If I am right, Roberts is guilty, at the minimum, of a failure of of the oath of his office, a failure of vision, and, at the worst, along with every member of Congress who voted in favor of TARP, of treason.

Please, Senator Roberts, if I am wrong, correct me, for the record.

pace 5 years, 3 months ago

If you want examples of a real waste of tax dollars. look at Brownback's salary. He is portraying Kansas as unable to host federal prisoners in our federal prison. He'll take the money, just not the job. This is true on almost every stance he has take. I think Roberts is better but can't we bring Kansas into the play instead of using our energies just to oppose the "other" party. Don't the conservatives have solutions other than Newt's pickles. Why don't the Kansas republicans get some backbone and come up with something other than the old refrains.

blakus 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't know what kind of machines the Feds are going to use to clean up the contamination... are they any heavier or more destructive than farm equipment or semis? This just seems like a silly jab at the Obama administration. I would like to see Roberts come up with an alternative solution to this supposed problem.

KLATTU 5 years, 3 months ago

"All you liberals loved to call Bush an idiot..."

Hmmm, I guess 78% of Americans are liberals.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Godot-

Roberts voted NO on TARP and the Auto Bailout. Brownback voted Yes on the auto bailout but NO on TARP.

tls 5 years, 3 months ago

Pat Roberts is not even a Kansan. He has pretended for years. Like all in Washington - he will be revealed for what he is.