Letters to the Editor

Time for change

June 6, 2009

To the editor:

I would like to respond to Mr. Simons’ Saturday Column where he continues to attack President Obama’s efforts to improve the well-being of America. Simons implies that Obama is trying to turn the United States into a “socialist” nation by “taking over” the banks and car companies and trying to “socialize” health care.

May I remind Simons that it was George W. Bush who first called for taxpayers to bail out big businesses because they were “too large to fail.” May I remind Simons that it was Bush’s totally incompetent administration that handed Obama the biggest financial mess this country has seen since the Great Depression.

I suppose Simons believes that it’s perfectly fine if 46 million of our fellow Americans go without health care. Our neighbors and family members can suffer with catastrophic diseases without health care because they are too poor to pay the enormous hospital and doctor bills? That’s OK with Mr. Simons? I suppose he calls that “compassionate conservatism” like Bush did.

Finally, may I remind Simons that it was his beloved Bush who allowed the largest terrorist attack on the U.S. homeland under his watch. It was Bush who led us into a trillion-dollar war that only benefits the big oil companies. It was a coincidence that Exxon-Mobil posted the highest recorded profits in U.S. history under Bush? Apparently, you didn’t agree with the majority of Americans that thought we needed a big change.

Comments

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

Obama's doing nothing about the mess because he busy making new messes. Simmons right about all his points.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

I am as big a Bush hater then anyone, but 9/11 was as much Clinton's fault as Bush, and it's not a sin for Exxon-Mobil to make money.

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

Next thing Obama will do is start bailing out states. Then the Feds will be more intrusively involved in individual state's affairs. Then he'll start bailing out the media and the Feds will be controlling the message (if they aren't already). The dollar will be worthless. But look on the bright side LTE writer, we'll have ourselves a dictatorship with your fearless leader at the helm. Oh, goody. I probably will need to wind down my postings, with his "internet czar" proposal on the table, but that will most likely coincide with his media bailout, so I might have a little more time. Then you libs won't have anyone to argue with and we should be on our way to utopia.

canyon_wren 5 years, 3 months ago

Why do liberals assume that those who are very concerned about the direction Obama is taking us are necessarily fond of Bush and his administration? Both parties have gotten us into this mess, but I don't have a good feeling about Obama's "smoke and mirrors" getting us out of it.

I was recently in Europe and a matronly guide on one of the bus tours I took made the comment, "You Americans on the bus--I just want to say your new president is GORGEOUS!" I felt like saying, "Gorgeous is not what our country needs right now!"

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

Poorly written, factually inept attempt at an LTE, Rick.

Great letter.

Followed by what may be the greatest collection of ignorant and purposely off point comments in LJW history.

Not surprising, I suppose that the party of failed ideas has nothing to offer. Would be interesting to hear the conservative solution to the mess Obama inherited from bush. And failing to offer anything, perhaps they'd be better served standing on the sidelines of American political life in silence.

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

"Look at Obama's recent forced closings of hundreds of dealerships across the US. It will not make the auto maker more competitive, period, and how many local people will be impacted by this in the very near future?"

But you're all for consolidating schools to save money? If Obama had just told the auto industry to go away and solve their own problems, then you would have accused him of allowing them to fail and putting all those people out of work. Obviously the management doesn't know what it's doing, or they wouldn't be in this mess now. Obama can't screw it up anymore than it's already screwed. Remember they came to Washington begging. Beggars can't be choosers. They are a welfare company now. You can be charitable and buy a car from them, or you can do what you do to individuals on welfare, deride and debase them. If a business wants to remain in the capitalist system, it shouldn't ask for help from the government; it should learn to compete.

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

Not a single offering, Pilgrim. How telling.

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

scott2364 Good challenge. What ideas does the conservative party have? No more criticisms, just solutions. Where are the solutions? Marion? Tom? Check in with your pundits, and come back with solutions to the mess that Obama got handed. Let us know your plan, please, but don't blame the mess on Obama. Bush denied for more than a year that anything was wrong. Just kept smiling. What is the conservative's solution? Just ignore it, and hope it goes away? Remember these banks and business came begging, the government didn't go to them. So much for your self made capitalists. They're all a bunch of wimps who were out playing golf. I'll bet if you compared the management of businesses that are doing ok with the new welfare crowd, you'll find their management works for a living. They aren't busy throwing multi million dollar birthday parties for their trophy wives. And please don't come back with the stupid class envy argument. Try coming back with your solutions. You are all so wise and all knowing. I'll bet this thread now dies now. Solutions anyone?

Nancy:

You have evidence to support your claims? Most of the mainstream polls I see show 65%+ supporting Obama.

Aren't the 25% or so who really disapprove of Obama the same mental defficients who supported bush no matter what he did? Why would anyone care what they think?

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

So Nancy, are you a liar, or do you have proof of your claim?

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

"Right now,..... and about half disapprove"

Still no proof for this claim.

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

scott3460, They are doing it again. Don't let them distract you with Obama's ratings. Marion and Tom, if you were president, what would you do when large companies that employ multitudes come begging at your doorstep. What would you do? What are your solutions? Your hero Bush gave them a lot of money with no strings attached. Would you do the same? Do you loan people money without any accountability? Isn't that why you criticized the mortgage companies? Don't distract us with silly polls. What are your solutions? As my Dad used to say "Where's the beef?" No more fluff, please.

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

I hear nothing but crickets, Dandelion. Nothing but crickets.

They all seem so sure they're correct. Wonder why they don't offer us their solutions?

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

Must be sad to be a scrub standing on the sidelines.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"Bush did it" is just as much an argument fail as "Clinton did it."

commuter 5 years, 3 months ago

I was listening to NPR and heard that Obama is polling very favorably with Muslims. He has a higher approval rating with Muslims than any other religious group from what I heard from NPR.

Nancy:

The pollster you cite states the following:

"It's still to early to say whether Obama's leadership numbers this month are a statistical blip or the beginning of a trend."

Thus, when you have every other poll stating Obama's approval in the mid to high 60's and the poll you cite states the results may not yet be believable, you have not made much of a point.

Now, on with your proposed actions Obama should be taking.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry, Rick. Conservatives are only chasing their own tails, but I doubt anyone can convince them that, yes, it is your own tail that you're chasing.

Mixolydian 5 years, 3 months ago

There are so, so many candidates for the coveted title:

"Kevin Groenhagen of the left"

The LTE writer is right up there!

Someone is just going to have to rise to the top and self publish an Anti-Bush book.

Obama may be spending us into oblivion.but but but look at Bush. Look at this shiny thing over here....Over here. Looky!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

In the USA there would be little capitalism without billions upon billions upon billions of socialism aka corporate welfare susbsidies...

T.I.F and tax abatements etctec

slowplay 5 years, 3 months ago

Scott,

Tom watches Hannity and Beck every night and then regurgitates that crap on this board. He can not, will not give a qualified alternative, because Hannity and Beck always attack and never espouse alternatives. They can't because the only real alternative is what was tried by the Bush administration and failed miserably. While Republicans orchestrated some of the greatest economic blunders encountered in two generations, forward thinkers are shifting focus from recession to recovery. Tom will keep his blinders on and continue to repeat the party mantra because he has no alternative.

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

"Compared to your illustrious contribution. How predictable."

Well, I agree with the actions Obama's taken & voted for him. You oppose every move he makes, yet offer no alternatives. Why should anyone take your objections seriously if you have nothing to offer in the alternative. You might as well go outside and rail against the sun rising.

Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

I could not care less what Bush did or did not do. We are where we are now, and should stay in the present. Why is it that President Obama is refered to as the Messiah by some? Where does that come from? I am glad I voted for him but that does not mean I agree with everything he does or says. We have a three pronged government of legislative, judicial and executive so that we have a system of checks and balances. The President does not make any decision all by himself, he has to have approval from congress and they have to go though a process to have a bill enacted and become law. How many people in this country were actively protesting the Japanese internment camps?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

Still waiting. What do the conservatives plan to do? I'm off to the lake. Hopefully when I return they will know what they would do with begging welfare corporations who have many people by the balls. Do like Bush? Give them a bunch of money with no strings? Is that your solution?

slowplay 5 years, 3 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says… I would hope that lawrenceguy40 is being sarcastic. For all love, it is not Barry O, it is President Obama.

Unfortunately he's not. Read some of his other posts. Just another radical republican tool who is living in denial. It's almost comical how these Obama haters ca not accept reality, change or improvement.

georgiahawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Solutions righties? Where are they? What are they?

How long before Obama owns the situation? That is a good question! Ten years after Reagan left office, you all were claiming that the good economic times during the Clinton years were because of Reagans policies! Given the mess left behind by the neocons, I think 6 months might be a little premature.

Let's hear your solutions!

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

"I've asked this many times. Just when WILL Obama be taking ownership of things?"

According to the rules of the right, he should have at least until Sept. 12th.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

“I've asked this many times. Just when WILL Obama be taking ownership of things?”

His second term. Get used to it.

verity 5 years, 3 months ago

Best. Comment. Section. Ever.

Where are your solutions, Obama haters? Where are your ideas?

I'd really like to hear them.

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

Non-stop requests for "solutions" from on-line forum posters, mostly from the people who's only "solution" a year ago was to get Bush out. No offense guys, but I recall no 'solutions' coming from your mouths before. And the majority of you sarcastically ask for such responses when you have absolutely no intention of actually considering them. Don't get me wrong, that works both ways here, but it makes it no less silly.

"It seems the conservatives are still in denial over the fact they lost badly in the last 2 elections"

The new leader as the most trite phrase posted on these boards.

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

Challenge issued at 9:08 am.

Not a single alternative solution or course of action submitted yet by the conservative/repuglicon brain trust.

And the crickets continue chirping.

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

"No offense guys, but I recall no 'solutions' coming from your mouths before."

Oh no you don't, jaywalker. Our solution is the approach we voted for. A more mainstream & at times Progressive approach to governing. Massive stimulus to get out out of the hole bush drove us in to. Conciliation and engagement with the world. Environmental responsibility. A more "green" economy.

The conservatives spend each and every day railing against this approach & we are wholly within reason to expect that alternatives be articulated. In the absence of positive contribution to the exchange of ideas, we can only conclude there are no ideas being offered by the conservative side of the fence.

verity 5 years, 3 months ago

Jaywalker,

Yes, I will consider any real ideas given.

And I did have ideas about what should be done when Bush was president. Obama was the person whose ideas I agreed with the most, which is why I voted for him.

I don't know (and no one does, obviously, although some certainly would have us think they do) whether Obama's policies will succeed or fail. And those who continuously hate on him need to put their money where their mouth is, or risk looking like what they are.

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

verity,

And I respect that you would consider any ideas proffered. I wasn't attempting to make a blanket statement. There are those that have no intention of doing so.

verity 5 years, 3 months ago

To put my money where my mouth is, I will start with some ideas.

I am, in general, a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. It scares me no end how our country is getting into debt. However, because of the economic mess we are in, I see no other way out than to put money back into the economy and save as many people's jobs as we can. If people don't have jobs, I fear that our economy will get even worse and it will take a very long time to recover.

My study of history tells me that absolutely free market capitalism has never existed. I feel that the concept has become a religion to some people. Reasonable restrictions must be made because a number of greedy people exist and will screw up the system for the rest of us.

OK, I've started the conversation. Let's hear some other ideas.

Thank you.

slowplay 5 years, 3 months ago

Tom,

I really think you are liberal trying to show the absurdity of the far right's denial. Rational human beings just don't think that way. Good job, keep it up.

scott3460 5 years, 3 months ago

"The other day, I heard Rush “2112” on The Boneyard–a great tune from a great album I hadn't heard in a long time. The end made me think of The Obama, Pelosi and Reid Regime, said in a very ominous and sinister voice:

“We have assumed control…….We have assumed control…….We have assumed control…….We have assumed control……."

Yet another post entirely devoid of any alternative ideas. We get it, Tom, you don't like Obama. Didn't vote for him, I bet. But what the f%$&&()&^% would you do differently & why?

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

"Non-stop requests for “solutions” from on-line forum posters, mostly from the people who's only “solution” a year ago was to get Bush out. No offense guys, but I recall no 'solutions' coming from your mouths before."

Jay, are you kidding? Have you actually forgotten all those who said we shouldn't even go to war with Iraq, then that we should move toward pulling out of Iraq far sooner than Bush was willing to admit it was a good idea? How about those who said that we shouldn't give massive tax cuts to the wealthiest of the wealthy during wartime, nor block research on stem-cells, and that the president shouldn't hire his unqualified friends to run agencies like FEMA or nominate them to the Supreme Court ... Sorry, but there were plenty of solutions being offered for Bush's errors.

However, you are correct in that one year ago it was pretty clear that Bush wasn't going to change his ways in his final months, and the one major solution offered and actualized was to make sure not to put another Republican in office. Problem identified, solution offered, problem fixed.

And there have been plenty who have said for years that the Reaganesq mantra of government needing to just get out of the way of business (said at the most recent RNC by your girlfriend Cindy McCain, no less) was not the way to go and that deregulation of the banking system would lead to trouble. There have been plenty of solutions being offered during both of Bush's terms. I'm actually surprised you seem to have forgotten this.

Like those solutions offered during Bush's terms, I'd love to hear some real solutions beyond what Obama is already doing that might fix the banking, auto industry, and housing market collapses. I'm just not seeing them being offered.

Tom, do you really believe that Obama (or any person) could turn the economy around in just a few months? Like an oceanliner, you can't just put on the breaks and it will stop on a dime. Do you seriously think things would be radically different under McCain? (I do, meaning I believe they would be much worse.)

Further, if most people don't buy Obama's so-called "fluff" as you say, then why does he remain so popular with the American people? In May, he had a 65% approval rating (Gallup poll). Despite out troubling times and divided political landscape, that is still a pretty high number no matter how you look at it.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

I know how you feel about the GOP and McCain. That is pretty much how most of us grew to feel about the GOP and Bush. Never forgive, never forget.

georgiahawk 5 years, 3 months ago

The "geen" revolution can be the next economic boom that we have. One way or another, given all of the people in this world and the dwindling amount of earth's resources that we have so far depended on for progress, we must head into the green direction. We can either lead this revolution or let other countries lead and we can follow. It makes more sense to me to lead it. I would rather sell to the rest of the world than have to buy from them.

Tom, do you just want to keep your head in the sand and ignore the situation (typical conservative aproach) or maybe, just maybe open your eyes and do something that will be both economicaly positive and future positive? Given your posts, I think I know the answer!

slowplay 5 years, 3 months ago

"Tom, do you just want to keep your head in the sand and ignore the situation (typical conservative aproach) or maybe, just maybe open your eyes and do something that will be both economicaly positive and future positive?"

This is currently impossible for most Republicans. There only chance at being a viable party is to oppose everything Obama does and hope he fails. If there is an economic recovery, the party is done. Fold up the tents. Add in the potential for different results in Iraq and Afghanistan; a middle east peace accord; a leaner, meaner auto industry; a lessening on the dependency for foreign oil; a world leader in green technologies; more resources and reform in education; and banking/wall street stability (witness the Dow's resurgence) and the republicans worst nightmare comes to life.

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

Tom, more criticism and no alternative solutions. We get it. You hate conserving natural resources and you hate Obama. What ideas do you and your conservative friends have? At least Marion decided to drop out of this thread before he started looking like only a whiner, not a doer.

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

"The main cause of hyperinflation is a massive and rapid increase in the amount of money, which is not supported by growth in the output of goods and services. This results in an imbalance between the supply and demand for the money (including currency and bank deposits), accompanied by a complete loss of confidence in the money, similar to a bank run. Enactment of legal tender laws and price controls to prevent discounting the value of paper money relative to gold, silver, hard currency, or commodities, fails to force acceptance of a paper money which lacks intrinsic value. If the entity responsible for printing a currency promotes excessive money printing, with other factors contributing a reinforcing effect, hyperinflation usually continues. Often the body responsible for printing the currency cannot physically print paper currency faster than the rate at which it is devaluing, thus neutralizing their attempts to stimulate the economy." ............courtesy of wikepidia

It is the ONLY thing we have not experienced yet. Sit back and watch. There will be riots at the grocery stores. It will also happen over night.

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

beatrice,

No offense, but none of what you wrote after "are you kidding" was a 'solution'. Opposition is not solution.

I truly hope what the Prez is doing IS a solution. From my perspective, printing money is not the answer and has extraordinary, long reaching impact. Think the economy is bad now? Wait 'til the inflation that's comin' our way hits. And the funny thing is the poorest among us will be the one's most adversely effected. Everyone's gonna need 'affordable health care' when milk is ten bucks a gallon and a loaf of bread costs five. A good portion of what makes me sneer at the rhetoric that's thrown around on these boards lies behind the idiocy of blaming Bush for the economy and the belief that Obama can save the economy. And the inverse invokes the same response. Noone can control such an entity, and that's exactly what it is; a living, breathing force of nature. Funnier still is the constant "at least Obama's doing something", as if mere 'action' is a 'solution'. Ladies and gentlemen, 'action' is what an overwhelming majority of this country wanted in response to 9/11. How you likin' that now? That's what I thought.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Instead of whining and sniping at each other, does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done better, or what might be done differently? All this Obama bashing gerts on my nerves. I wasn't among the 51% "mandate" that voted to re-elect Bush either but I dealt with it and tried to get involved in whatever I thought might take the "sting" out of that. Put up or shut up.

Jason Bailey 5 years, 3 months ago

@Grammaddy: Yes, the solution is let the companies fail. It has worked for > 230 yrs of our great Republic and for the life of me, I cannot understand why it suddenly is unacceptable to let capitalism work.

Either we're a capitalistic society or we're not but, the last time I checked, the govt can't just make these sort of sweeping laws to commerce or get involved to the degree that they are without some significant rewriting of the Constitution. The Feds have the authority to regulate inter-state commerce, not how commerce works within states or which businesses will be allowed to stay open or forced to close.

That answer is not going to be pleasant but the answer of sprinkle pixie dust, in the form of billions, on GM and anyone else who made bad decisions the last decade isn't going to be pleasant either. We will eventually have to pay that back in the form of inflation or higher taxes -- right now we're throwing good money after bad with nothing to show for it.

The answer is ALWAYS let capitalism work. If GM fails, it fails. If I do a bad job at my workplace, I get fired. That's life.

It's amazing to watch liberals whose mantra is "Government is the solution!" (as they clap their hands and sing Blowing in the Wind). My mantra is the same as Reagan's, "Government is the problem!"

jafs 5 years, 3 months ago

jason,

The problem is that so many large companies were somehow interconnected that to let them fail seemed to mean the collapse of our economy.

Also, letting them fail would mean many who bore no responsibility for the bad decisions at the top would be punished, and much more severely than the CEO's who would still walk away millionaires.

I understand the frustration with the government involvement - I would like to see a way that those who are responsible suffer the consequences. But given the structure of corporate America, that doesn't seem likely.

Government is neither the problem nor the solution. Sometimes it seems to be more one than the other, and then it shifts.

For example, it is the lack of government regulation and oversight that allowed Bernie Maddow to profit, and allowed financial insitutions to profit from the bundled and securitized mortgage mess.

On the other hand, government is frequently inefficient and bureaucratized, leading to stupid and wasteful decisions.

jafs 5 years, 3 months ago

And, of course, this isn't the first time the government has stepped in to help businesses.

Remember the savings and loan crisis? Or the Chrysler deal (when Lee Iaccocca was in charge)? Or the massive subsidies of various industries in the federal budget?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

If you don't hush up & drink Barry's Flavor-Aid, the Klingon will glare at you. You don't want that. http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/197847.php

slowplay 5 years, 3 months ago

Snap,

A little early to be hitting the booze.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

This letter is a worthless pile of horse pucky. Lame to the extreme, Rick!

pinecreek 5 years, 3 months ago

Pilgrim2: The Demorat-controlled Congress Reagan had to deal with. It spent about $1.30 for every $1.00 of income during the Reagan years, and receipts to the federal treasury nearly doubled during that time thanks to the Reagan tax cuts. ================================ Pilgrim, don't give us that pile of cr*p--how many budget resolutions did Reagan veto during his terms? If he truly wanted to balance the budget, he could have forced Congress to play. (BTW, the correct answer to the question is....zero!)

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

So Pilgrim2, we have asked this question of Marion and Tom. What would you and your fellow conservatives do to improve the economy? It's been your "capitalist" friends who have made it difficult for the average person to run their own business. A local example is the developers who have pushed up downtown land values so much that local business people can't afford to open small shops. True capitalism is based on fair trade, not the conglomerates and monopolies we have today. Your "trickle down" capitalism has created these monster corporations who have eliminated competition, and only let the bad stuff trickle down. No more history lessons, please. What would you do differently than President Obama? What would your conservative leaders do differently? We are still waiting.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Nancy-Tom wants to know when Obama will start taking responsibility for the mess we are in now.My guess would be when he gets all the messes he inherited cleaned up and starts making messes of his own.

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

"chirp, chirp" say the crickets.

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

And in other news, "The Supreme Court on Monday agreed with the Obama administration and refused to review Pentagon policy barring gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military."

That would be on top of continuing the bailouts of the Bush administration, delaying the closing of Gitmo, a 'surge' in troops to Afghanistan, an announcement from the new HHS secretary that universal government-funded healthcare is off the table, etc., etc., ...

So, when do we get this "change" people keep talking about?

dandelion 5 years, 3 months ago

logicsound09, Don't you know that the corporations and their managers are gods. They can do no wrong. If you criticize them, you are a commie.

bad_dog 5 years, 3 months ago

"The final collapse has come with the election of Barack Obama. His speed in the past three months has been truly impressive. His spending and money printing has been a record setting, not just in America's short history but in the world. If this keeps up for more then another year, and there is no sign that it will not, America at best will resemble the Wiemar Republic and at worst Zimbabwe.”

If even the Russians are warning us away from the cliff Barry Joe wants us to jump off, then you know how bad it is. They tried it once, and it turned out to be an unmitigated, abject failure. We should learn from their experience, not repeat it." Pilgrim

You just have to love it when a conservative points to an op-ed in Pravda as somehow supportive of their world view. Keep in mind this epitome of wisdom is located on the same pages as the following pearls of reality:

Hmm, first there's an article about the Blue people of Kentucky and then a dog giving birth to a mutant creature that looks human, right alongside the stories on bad girls are more fun and stories on dungeon sex slaves and issues with thongs for models... not to mention the enlightening "Men lie for no reason because women make them to"... or the Aliens downed Tunquska meteorite to save Earth, People communicate with ghosts in sleep, Mysterious dwarfish alien brutally murdered in Russia's remote village, People mysteriously disappear in front of other people, and my favorite: "invisible poisonous skyfish fly at 300 km/h all around us"

"Analysis of film and video of skyfish from around the world indicate that they might range in size from just a few inches to perhaps over a hundred feet in length! How could something that large be unknown? That’s the essence of the mystery. "

(Just hit refresh and the stories keep on coming!)

How could you possibly refute the authenticity and accuracy of an article on capitalism found in Pravda?

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

pork_person;

Go out on the street and poll a few hundred people, see how many know who Franken is compared to Rush Limbaugh. Of the tiny number who know who Franken is, see if they can identify where he stands on one issue or policy.

Let us know how well that works out for ya'.

(I also find it incredibly amusing, porchie, that you think a failed comedian-turned-politician could make a laughing stock out of anyone - almost as funny as you believing this failed comedian-turned-politician is a source of serious political knowledge.)

JHOK32 5 years, 3 months ago

I have no sad faces, quite the contrary. The farther that the Bush - Cheney horror years get behind us the bigger my smile gets! Name one thing that Bush did right? Screw up #1 - He allowed the largest attack on the U.S.mainland in history while on HIS watch, HIS administration got their asses kicked & 3000 innocent people got killed because of stupid incompetence - Screw up # 2 (He then spends a $Trillion dollars of our money chasing Bin Laden all over the middle-east & never caught him. Screw up # 3 - He sends us on a wild goose chase to get rid of Saddam's WMD's, which of course we now know was an out right lie to the American people because they never existed and he knew they never existed. Screw up # 4 - He gets on a ship with a huge sign that reads "Mission Accomplished" and what mission would that be? Besides wrecking the U.S. economy of course. That mission was definetly accomplished! His big banker buds were allowed to loan out billions of bogus loans with absolutely no collateral to secure the loans with (which is now Screw up # 5) ...... while 4000 of our kids were dying in the sand, Exxon-Mobil was lavishing in mountains of cash with their highest record profits of any U.S. company in history. Fat cat big oil companies get filthy rich while our kids are getting their heads blown off - Something is smelling pretty ripe to me at this point. You really see nothing wrong with this picture Mr.Shirley Boy, or Nancy Boy, or whatever your panty pink name is?

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

porch_person (Anonymous) says…

"Maybe in whatever backwoods you live in but here in the real world, Al Franken is a US Senator."

Larryville is what you consider the "real world," porchie? I hate to break this to ya', little one, but even the rest of Kansas doesn't consider Larryville the "real world." There is a "real world" out there, porchie - you ought to get out of mommy's basement and see some of it sometime. But thanks for the laughs - no wonder you think Franken is funny.

"As far as a “failed comedian” goes, Franken has been a (charter) writer for the most successful comedy show in US history (Saturday Night Live) ..."

And that qualifies him as your political guru? [Pssst - hey porchie - I hate to break this to you, but you know those news segments on SNL? They weren't real.] I suppose it would - your posts to this forum have pretty much demonstrated that your understanding of politics is a joke.

Pretty amusing that you say Limbaugh's "niche" is in confrontation, when the title of your idolized "successful author"s book includes the words "is a Big Fat Idiot." Oh, and by the way, porchie - who's sold more books - Franken or Limbaugh?

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

JHOK32 (Anonymous) says…

"Screw up #1 - He allowed the largest attack on the U.S.mainland in history while on HIS watch, HIS administration got their asses kicked & 3000 innocent people got killed because of stupid incompetence "

Well, at least we know that jhoker is the LTE writer. There can't really be two people ignorant enough to make that statement, even in the Larryville area, can there?

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 3 months ago

I think Americans get tired of watching reruns like Newt Gingrich and they are bored with the rhetoric of the Republican Party.

Today's Republican Party is a lot like GM.

No one wants to buy the same old cars anymore.

Maybe it is time to get real serious about changing the way you do business or just go away and let somebody else take a shot at SERVING the American people.

Companies and Political Parties fail when they forget about what the customer wants. Today's customers are a lot smarter than they used to be.

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

porch_person (Anonymous) says…

"Al Franken is the US Senator from Minnesota, not Lawrence KS. How in the world you could possibly think I was talking about Lawrence KS is funny."

I was referring to your "backwoods" comment, dolt. I keep forgetting your reading comprehension is below 4th grade, sorry, I'll try to keep it extremely simple for you.

"Al Franken has written three bestselling books on the far right, among others. How many books has Rush Limbaugh written?"

Well, the first two both went to the top of the NYT bestseller list, one stayed there for 24 weeks.

"Does anyone even read them anymore?"

Every day 10 times as many people listen to Limbaugh than voted for Franken - once.

"Limbaugh is a joke."

Maybe figuratively. On the other hand, you're citing the political 'wisdom' of someone who's a comedian. Literally.

"Two months ago, Michael Steele called Rush Limbaugh “an entertainer”, and his rhetoric “incendiary” and “ugly”. And that's from the Chairman of the Republican Party!! Is Rush running for anything anytime soon?"

Limbaugh has always identified himself as an entertainer, not a politician. It's only the absolute morons on the left who have ever believed he is some kind of de facto leader of the Republican Party. (Hmmm - who does that remind me of?) Get it? Everyone else did.

"(laughter)"

That's it, porchie, just keep telling yourself that people are laughing with you, not at you.

75x55 (Anonymous) says…

"Clearly the fevered questions of a deluded apparatchik."

75x55;

You only have to Google a few sentences from pork_person's posts to see where he gets his pabalum spoon-fed from. But you might be just a little off-base thinking he's "a deluded apparatchik." Pretty sure he's the child-who-just-won't-leave living in the basement of mommy-and-daddy deluded apparatchiks.

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

porch_person (Anonymous) says…

"I was calling you “backwoods” for not knowing that Al Franken was the new US Senator from Minnesota. ... Move to the city."

And again, child, perhaps if you got out of mommy's basement once in a while, you'd hear the rest of the country laughing their a**es off that you consider Larryville 'the city.'

"When you get your information from a drug addict on AM radio, you can become confused."

Sorry, porchie, I don't listen to Rush - he's on during the day, and unlike you, I work for a living. You apparently seem to know a lot about what he says, though - an avid listener are you?

"I especially like how you confused two different population sets. Did you think the whole country voted over whether Al Franken could become US Senator from Minnesota or are you ignorant of our election system? Your statement was one of the wildest fallacies I've heard in awhile."

How long have you had this little problem with cognitive functioning, porchie? You were touting the political 'wisdom' of a failed comedian who got himself elected to the Senate from the same state that elected a professional wrestler for their governor a while back. You questioned how many people paid attention to Limbaugh, and I pointed out that it's a he** of a lot more than pay attention to your apparent hero. But then, with such a complete lack of comprehension of political issues (and everything else), you must be used to huge numbers of people thinking you're a loon.

"Arguing about it further is pointless."

The typical parting shot of someone losing an argument so badly that the laughter is deafening.