Archive for Monday, June 1, 2009

Douglas County sees first case of swine flu

Following scares all over the area, swine flu has reached Douglas County.

June 1, 2009, 4:09 p.m. Updated June 1, 2009, 4:47 p.m.

Swine Flu Pandemic

An outbreak of H1N1 Swine Flu was reported in Mexico in April 2009. By the end of May, it had spread across the U.S., with all 50 states reporting cases.

Swine flu has made its way to Douglas County.

An adult male was confirmed as having the first case of the H1N1 influenza A virus in the county, health officials said Monday afternoon.

The patient is recovering from the flu and has not been quarantined, said Lisa Horn, spokeswoman for the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department.

“He’s being asked to kind of isolate himself … and because he’s in the recovery stage, he isn’t infectious anymore,” she said.

To protect his privacy, Horn said she could not give more information about the patient, including what city he is from, his age, or whether he had been hospitalized.

Horn said local health leaders are thoroughly investigating the case and contacting people known to have come into contact with the patient.

So far, 89 confirmed cases of swine flu have been reported in the state, according to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

The state health agency reminds individuals to contact their health care provider if they are experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Symptoms of the virus include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting.

As with any influenza virus, individuals are encouraged to take the following steps to reduce spread:

• Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to get rid of most germs and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

• Stay home when you are sick to avoid spreading illness to co-workers and friends.

• Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue and properly dispose of used tissues.

• Stay healthy by eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water and getting adequate rest and exercise.

Comments

sourpuss 5 years, 6 months ago

Names. I want names. Or the name. Whatever.

domino 5 years, 6 months ago

Can we get a new pic to go with all the swine flu articles? Tired of looking at the same one.

Mixolydian 5 years, 6 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says…

Everyone grab their growlers and head for the bunker now.

Best advice ever.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 6 months ago

I guess Marion is too busy imitating O'Reilly right now on the Tiller story to get all World-Health on us right now.

Marion loves quoting WHO in recent weeks.

Instead of the measly tiny H1N1 flu story, he should read WHO's new initiative on a much larger killer:

NervousTick 5 years, 6 months ago

i knew this day would come thats why I activated my plan to move to mexico i will be safe there once I get out of the us and across the border i just hope that they dont find it suspicious that im leaving the us all of the sudden when douglas county gets the swine flu

Unix_Admin 5 years, 6 months ago

This morning I had a bad case of wine flu.

Daniel Kennamore 5 years, 6 months ago

Forgive if this is a repost, my last message didn't seem to go through.

For a trip down memory lane, read the comments on the first story of cases in Kansas.

As I said then, the fear of the flu has proved to be much more costly than the actual flu.

more_cowbell 5 years, 6 months ago

...Does whatever a Spider Pig does! ;-)

pace 5 years, 6 months ago

If by panic, you mean people should kindly wash their hands and stay away from people when they are sick. Then panic away. Washing your hands should be one of the habits you have. Not sneezing on your grandma or coworkers is just good manners.

SuperSnot 5 years, 6 months ago

I say let's go find the guy, rub his germs all over us, and then we'll be immune the next go around this Fall when it's really a potent epidemic!

Raider 5 years, 6 months ago

Panic! I literally saw a woman in dirty Dillons tonight tell her kids they couldn't have any hotdogs with pork it them because of swine flu. Her kids were mad but she just kept insisting "no pork, nothing with pork in it". I just shook my head and laughed. People are funny.

Nikki May 5 years, 6 months ago

I would have probably told her she was wrong. I try to mind my own business, but even though I don't eat pork, that bothers me. I can't believe some people.

However, I tell my kids no pork or beef, but only because I don't eat mammals.

Rabbitgoesthump 5 years, 6 months ago

HA Lawrence got it before Topeka Take that Lawrence.....

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

whoa, so, Multi, that would be typhoid Mary? wow.

this from the article makes no sense at all!

---okay, if he's not infectious, why in heck are they isolating him???

makes no sense at all!

"diet, d"
edit?

for his privacy the health department wouldn't identify the douglas county mail, but they said he was a grumpy self-aggrandizing maile over 50, wearing blue blockers who collects guns and old cars, muttering something about the trade route through lecompton.

Angie Dick 5 years, 6 months ago

I so hope they get this virus under control. My youngest son a few yrs ago got Roto virus. He was so sick! He was in hospital for about a week. He lost 3lbs within 24 hrs, It was just horrible! So if this virus is anything like that? Gosh I so hope it stops soon!

BrianR 5 years, 6 months ago

Unix_Admin (Anonymous) says…. "This morning I had a bad case of wine flu."

Ahh, the wrath of grapes.

lawthing 5 years, 6 months ago

Someone once said "We would have a black President when pigs fly'

Now we have a black president and the swine flew!

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

Something like 500 million cases of malaria/year globally, more than a million die each year from malaria. But whoa nellie! Swine flu! Sooeey!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

gramma, you can't contract swine flu from properly cooked pork.

swine flu and the ignorants reacting that way against pork, are hurting the iowa economy, and the kansas pork producers, too.

kinda nice, the prices of all pork products has gone down. they'd risen quite a bit in the last four years due to ethanol and energy.