Archive for Friday, July 24, 2009

Victim in Thursday night crash in good condition

July 24, 2009, 5:27 p.m. Updated July 27, 2009, 4:41 a.m.

The victim of a Thursday night car crash that caused a natural gas leak near the intersection of Sixth Street and Lawrence Avenue was in good condition Sunday.

Jerry Lee, 55, of Oswego was taken by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, police said. His injuries were initially thought to be serious.

Police said the vehicle hit Kobe Japanese Steakhouse, 2907 W. Sixth St., causing a natural gas leak. Multiple businesses were evacuated and traffic in the area was diverted.

Comments

puddleglum 5 years ago

umm, so why did he crash? bad sushi?

KEITHMILES05 5 years ago

Not sure why Lawrence even has a hospital. They can't treat squat.

gsxr600 5 years ago

I've said this once, and I'll say it again. I was there last night before the accident occurred and it absolutely reeked like natural gas. This car didn't cause the leak.

gsxr600 5 years ago

There was a cop with his windows down no more than 50ft from the area when I drove by.

gsxr600 5 years ago

The unique smell is the t-butyl mercaptan added to the odorless, pure natural gas. This is added so someone, even as dumb as you, can detect a leak. You would have to have a case of mild retardation not to know what natural gas smells like you idiot.

workinghard 5 years ago

I can smell natural gas when others can't until it gets stronger. Some people have a more sensitive nose for it. My spouse cannot smell it even when it is strong and everyone else can. I guess that makes us a good match.

workinghard 5 years ago

Even if it had been reported, it would have taken Black Hills and hour to get there by the time the worker was called and went to pick up a truck and drive there.

Angie Dick 5 years ago

I know the smell of natural gas. It smells like a dead mouse or rat. OO it stinks! (not that I saw many of those) But I had a deal they sent in the mail (scratch n sniff) OO gosh.. AWEFUL SMELL! SO everyone should be lucky, nothing BLEW UP!

leftylucky 5 years ago

What I heard from someone displaced from the accident was that Black Hills does not know where the shut off valves are in the city. They had to bring in a back hoe to dig 3 holes to cap the gas. When Aquila sold to Black HIlls did they give them maps of the shut off valves in the city?

workinghard 5 years ago

Sounds like thier maps need to be updated. I've heard their maps were based on where the curbs are. If the curbs have been moved, then the maps are wrong. Of course this should have been done at the time the curb work was done, since a gas company employee is required to be there or to at least mark the line. Maybe the city should make keeping the maps current a law.

puddleglum 5 years ago

I drove by the site 15 seconds after gsxr600's very slow & underpowered motorcycle drove by. It did smell like gas, but not natural gas. More like non-natural, man-made gas. I passed gsxr600 shortly after that.