Archive for Friday, July 24, 2009

Dumb move

July 24, 2009

To the editor:

The Lawrence City Commission is always worried about maintaining the viability of downtown. But now they’ve jacked up the parking fees without looking at the big picture.

They’ve doubled the meter costs to 50 cents per hour from 25 cents — a 100 percent increase.

They’ve increased the overtime fine from $2 to $3 — a 50 percent jump.

What all this says to me is, “We don’t want you here. Please don’t come downtown.”

OK, be that way. I won’t be back except for emergencies.

They’re slowly strangling the golden goose. Real smart.

Fleming is from Lawrence

Comments

geekin_topekan 5 years, 5 months ago

Last summer I went to visit relatives in Madison Wi. All I can say about Madtown's parking is that it is scandalous. Highway robbery. A stick-up. Parking anywhere near WU's campus/downtown is limited to 2 hours. And when I say near, I mean anywhere within a two mile radius. And they have roving, aggressive enforcment. This means that in order to visit my mom during the day, I would have to A find a spot and B move my car every couple of hours because the fine for parking was $10. To put that into perspective, imagine two hour parking that extends to New York to the East, LMH and beyond to the north, Iowa west and 25th to the south. Who cares if you live there! You can park at night for free but from 7am till 5pm youd better have someplace to take your car because you cant park in front of your house. Madison has a great bus system tho. For the year that I lived there in the 90s I never drove anywhere. Didnt need to, the bus ran every 15 minutes from 4am till 2 am. Last week I was in Lincoln, ne. I didnt really pay attention to calculate the hourly rate of parking downtown and near campus but I do remember putting a coin in, then another, then another and then, a couple more. It added up to 25 minutes. SO then I put some more in. Seemed like a pocket full before I finally reached the 90 minute mark. Then I came back to larrytown and put a dime in and got a full hour! Smokin' deal. Dan, if you dn't pay the three bucks on the spot or mail it in within two weeks, you are the reason for the court costs and no one else. I love toontown.

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

Gee Dan, you can park two blocks away for free, and as geekin' said, if it takes you that long to get two bucks in that's your problem. Oooh dear! 2 quarters!!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Save the primo parking spots on Mass for the folks who are unable to walk as good as they once good.

Walking a bit is good for the heart,muscles and the joints. If we drive I like to park a few blocks away from our destination(s). Too much time can be wasted getting that real good spot on Mass.

After having a meal walking a few blocks feels good.

Janet Cinelli 5 years, 5 months ago

I say kuddos to the city for raising these ridulously low rates to only crazy low rates. Sorry, Dan, but the city has to make more money in order for us to continue to have a good quality of life. I would rather pay fifty cents and $3 for a ticket (which I NEVER get) to park than have my property taxes raised. I also think the city should charge for Sunday parking and until 7 every day.

Now, if only they would repave 17th Street!

Bruce Bertsch 5 years, 5 months ago

People complaining about the parking rates in downtown need to get a clue. It's cheap. Of course some would rather burn a couple of dollars in gas to avoid paying a quarter.

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 5 months ago

are you kidding me? Hiking parking tickets from $2 to $3 is going to keep you away from downtown? Give me a break. Sounds like you're too cheap to have purchased anything downtown anyway...big loss of revenue there. Welcome to a "city". I suppose the sidewalk tax being collected now from your water bill will keep you from drinking the city's water as well....how about the tax this city voted for to fund the (Emp)T?? Oh so many stupid taxes to complain about and you choose the parking meters?? Give me a break. Go back to Lecompton.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 5 months ago

"When someone gets a ticket, who carries around three $1 bills in their pocket? "

Is Mr. Fleming more likely to be carrying two bills than 3? Maybe I just don't understand the nature of his complaint. Perhaps a change in wardrobe is needed for pockets that will allow for the required three singles to be held.

If only there were some person downtown who was around during traffic enforcement hours... a 'merchant' of sorts....who could convert a larger bill into smaller ones. We could call it "making change", then Mr. Fleming could break the rules all he wants, and never have to worry about going to court!

Only in a perfect world.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

"When someone gets a ticket, who carries around three $1 bills in their pocket? If you don’t pay right then, you might be looking at court costs."

Don't put cash in those little yellow envelopes. (You'll just have to follow with the check, anyway.)

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

When I'm actually able to find a parking space on Mass, I'll start to believe this crap. Until then, I'll fight everybody else for Dan's spot.

khawk1949 5 years, 5 months ago

It is so amazing to me that the people in Lawrence are always willing to pay for anything.

kansasmutt 5 years, 5 months ago

The #1 problem with downtown lawrence is all the bars. You have 60 people who drive 1 car each , to each bar and use up all the parking for the shoppers.Then you have employees of the businesses who park on Mass st. Maybe that $7 million they want to waste on a rec center over in richville west , could be used to build a parking structure. Owh, sorry i forgot , they (city)dont want people to shop downtown.

notjustastudent 5 years, 5 months ago

Kansasmutt- there is a slight chance that you were trying to be sarcastic, but I have this feeling that's not the case. If not, there are a few problems with your post, mainly that the entire thing is just plain idiotic. Let me list them for ya- 1) I will bet my life on the fact that 60 people don't all drive one car each to the bars. A lot of the population walks or preparties at a house and carpools. I don't know why I am making this argument though, because 2) Stores on Mass close by 6 or 7, well before the drunks come down to the bars. If they are at the bars that early, they were probably shopping or eating before that anyway. 3) Oh my god! Employees parking near their workplace! I wonder where you park in relation to your workplace... 4) Uh, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there's a parking garage located on New Hampshire between 9th and 10th.

That being said, I think the #1 problem with downtown Lawrence is that it is the downtown area of a city populated by the cheap and the lazy. And sorry if you were being sarcastic...

denak 5 years, 5 months ago

For me, It doesn't really matter what the parking charge is for downtown Lawrence. The only place down there I use on a regular basis is the library.

I will, once in a blue moon, go to Mad Greek or Jefferson's but thats it.

There is absolutely nothing down there for me, a lower-middle class, middle aged woman to buy down there that I can't get cheaper elsewhere in town. 95 % of the clothing stores I can't shop at because they are all geared towards the 18-22 year old size 2 college girl.

As far as I can see, downtown depends on the college crowd not from "regular" Lawrencians. I really fail to see what the attraction is with downtown in terms of shopping. It is "trendy' rather than practical. The selection isn't that great, it is a hassle and it is over priced. So the fact, that the parking fee is being raised kind of fits into the whole problem I have with downtown.

Dena

notjustastudent 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't want to be too rude, Dena, because you're right about some things- especially the part about size 2 clothes. But unless you think that all KU students are richie riches from Johnson county, I don't see how college students can afford things that you can't. It's true that you can find things cheaper elsewhere in town (except for maybe books a la the Dusty Bookshelf, so "absolutely nothing" might not be accurate), but you can't always find the other things anywhere in town. Restaurants aside, I head to Mass st for fabric all the time- definitely more expensive, but the quality and quantity of available fabrics are unmatched. I also hit up the Yarn Barn, because you can't find that much selection or knowledgable staff at other stores. I'm a huge fan of Vosges chocolates from Au Marche, don't know where else to find them, and honestly, you can't charge too much for chocolate. And although you and I can't fit into a size 2, there are lots of women in Lawrence that can, and guess what? They're not college students, they're "regular" Lawrencians.
I don't think downtown depends on the college crowd, I think it depends on those people who are willing to spend a bit more for quality, or uniqueness, or local, or whatever else you can think of. If that's not your thing (because it certainly isn't always mine) than I guess downtown wouldn't be for you.