Archive for Thursday, July 9, 2009

State slows down introducing new license plates

July 9, 2009

— The state’s budget problems means some Kansans aren’t getting the new license plates on their cars.

People at the beginning of the alphabet who got their license plates renewed in February, March and April got the plate with the new design.

But those whose names are lower in the alphabet will have to keep the old plate for now.

State officials have decided to save money by not issuing the new plate after April. Drivers instead get a sticker with “10” on it, designating 2010 for their current license plate.

Carmen Alldritt, director of vehicles for the Kansas Department of Revenue, says it’s unclear when the state would resume distributing the new plates. The state hopes to save more than $4 million by delaying the new plates.

Comments

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

I like the old plate on my truck. I would like to keep it.

KansasVoter 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad that I get to keep my old plate for at least another year. I don't like the new ones because I think that they're too cheap-looking. The old ones are much nicer with the capitol, wheat, and blue sky with fluffy white clouds.

irnmadn88 6 years, 1 month ago

I wish they would change the vanity plate color... brown just doesn't do it for me.

persevering_gal 6 years, 1 month ago

I think the state of Kansas should do something similar to what Florida does. Florida has a vast majority of specialty license plates to choose from. The money produced from the purchase of the plates goes towards the particular program that the plate supports. In 2007, specialty plates produced over 33 million dollars in revenue which also meant that it saved the state of Florida 33 million dollars in contributing to the programs that not necessarily everyone agrees with. Instead, the residents have the opportunity of which program they choose to support. That's just my idea anyway.

hail2oldku 6 years, 1 month ago

persevering_gal (Anonymous) says… I think the state of Kansas should do something similar to what Florida does. Florida has a vast majority of specialty license plates to choose from

Ummmm, maybe not quite as many as Florida, but still quite a selection.............

classclown 6 years, 1 month ago

I renewed my tags the first week of April and I didn't get new plates. Not that I'm complaining, just that I was never given or offered them. Were they given out by request only or was everyone supposed to get them?

If they're those ugly blue things, then I'm fine keeping the ones I have.

average 6 years, 1 month ago

If I could re-install the better-looking late-90s (blue/yellow/wheat) ones or the early-80s (blue, single stalk of wheat) ones, that'd be great. Whee, we have a domed capitol. Like 32 other states.

Stuart Evans 6 years, 1 month ago

but our domed capital is the best one...covered in copper or something. "Besides being home to one of the largest capital domes in the United States - even surpassing that of the United States Capital, the Kansas dome is the only one in the United States that continues to offer dome tours[1]. There are 296 steps leading up from the fifth floor to the top of the dome"

and that's why our dome is the best dome.

blindrabbit 6 years, 1 month ago

Why don't they really save money, and do what California has done for years. The plate is issued with the car at registration and becomes a permanent part of the car even if the car is sold to another individual. Additionally, the State does not re-new plates in a routine way. Since the 1950's, I can only think of about 7 different designs; and many 50's cars still sport their originals.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

When I restore my old Monte Carlo, I would like to get a 1984 plate on it. I think someone on another thread awhile back told me I could do that if I had an older plate.

anneht 6 years, 1 month ago

What an easy way to save millions of hard-to-come-by dollars.... and you complain about the colors??????

Tammy Copp-Barta 6 years, 1 month ago

Why do we have new plates every now and then anyways ... seems silly .. since I have the other number memorized ...

GardenMomma 6 years, 1 month ago

The blue plates are ugly and boring looking. Was that the design that won? Really?