Archive for Sunday, July 5, 2009

Shooting in Douglas County sends Eudora man to hospital, suspect turns gun on himself

A Saturday night altercation in southeast Douglas County send one man to the hospital and left another man, who police believe was the shooter, dead.

July 5, 2009, 12:00 a.m. Updated July 5, 2009, 12:18 p.m.

"I don't think (it's a random act of violence)," Lewis said. "It's related to an ongoing situation at the residence."

Lewis said there were several others at the house to launch fireworks when the shooting occurred, but that the victim and the suspect were not related.

Sheriff's deputies were dispatched to the scene at 8:17 p.m. Saturday night and as of Sunday afternoon had completed most of the investigation, Lewis said.

Lewis said he could not yet release the names of those involved in the shooting.

Comments

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

uh, isn't that sorta Vinland?

Google ads: live at legeands, and kc massage therapy school! lol

this is in the online version of the paper, no coverage of what happened on Perry st. in north lawrence, big fight one went to the hospital perhaps.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

now lpd just had a foot chase started at the Reserve, ended on 31st/2500 block.

I think the guy is caught.

applejuice 5 years, 5 months ago

That is the most worthless video in the history of the Internet.

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey that's great. LJW is short on awards. MWV. Does that come with a plaque or trophy?

Cindy Flippo 5 years, 5 months ago

Would it be possible to not have all the negitive posts. Do you guys just sit up and wait to post your stupid thoughts? I bet you would complain if you were hung with a new rope, and the LJW would be to blame. Try reading the paper and keeping your mouth shut, or just dont read it at all and let other people not have to put up with your negitivity.

SusieCreamcheeze 5 years, 5 months ago

Geeeeee thats about half a mile from my house...good thing i was in Eudora at the fireworks show.

Teresa Cunningham 5 years, 5 months ago

riverdrifter 5 years, 5 months ago

"Remember that Ernest Hemingway quite effectively emptied his brain pan with a 28 gauge, which is much smaller than a .410."

Nope.

28 gauge bore = .550 inch. The .410 is named for its small bore size and is not actually a gauge reference at all.

RoeDapple 5 years, 5 months ago

Started my daughters out on a 20 gauge single shot youth model. They preferred the full size 870 Rem in 12 gauge because it didn't kick as abruptly, and more shot meant more broken clay birds.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 5 months ago

Cheeseburger- We first posted a story about this at 11 last night, less than three hours after the shooting occurred. Much like the police have to investigate, we also have to conduct interviews and reporting. We posted an update to the story at 3:15 a.m., because our overnight reporter was able to get more information. This is only our third update. So, you see, we do aggressively report news that happens far from our front door..

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan,

First two paragraphs say:

"A Saturday night altercation in southeast Douglas County sent one man to the hospital and left another man, who police believe was the shooter, dead.

"Sheriff's deputies say a 34-year-old Eudora man was shot in the back at a residence in the 400 block of E 2000 Road. Lewis said a 29-year-old Ottawa man took a .410 gauge shotgun to the house and shot the Eudora man before turning the gun on himself and killing himself."

Second paragraph mentions "Lewis" -- who is this? Not called by name prior to that.

Thanks in advance for clarifying, and thanks for all you do.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

"lewis" is Steve Lewis, one great guy, now spokesman for DGSO.
in earlier incarnations of this story, it had ref to him and his job above...lost in editing.

Cheeseburger, look at the time stamps On my first two posts under this. no, there wasn't much detail then.

and, isn't this location actually in Vinland township? or, if not, what township is that out there?

now that the article has more detail: *I'm glad the shooting victim is alive! hope he heals quickly.

thanks Jonathan.

igby 5 years, 5 months ago

410 is a powerful load. Small number of shoots, however, the barrels small and long like a rifle and full choke. All 410's have 3 inch chambers for magnum 3 in. loads.

It makes a great goose gun with number 2 buck shot.

But with a deer slug it's just as powerful than a 50 cal. flintlock.

RoeDapple 5 years, 5 months ago

igby - hope you are a better shooter than writer :-p

ChasL 5 years, 5 months ago

Igby, the amount of misinformation in your post above is unbelievable!!

A .410 shotgun is not barreled any longer than other gauged shotguns.

It is the least powerful of all shotgun gauges currently produced.

They can be choked anywhere from open cylinder to turkey.

.410's are also chambered in 2.5" shells.

They are a great goose wounders. Payload is too small for consistent hits to the vitals and buckshot is lead........illegal to use on waterfowl.

Can't use a .410 slug gun during muzzleloader season so whats the use in comparing them. I'd take a rifled .50 over a smoothbore .410 slug gun any day.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

kufanattic I already went though all of this a few months back. Take my advice and just go with the flow. What you're doing is just pouring gasoline on the fire. Now that Roe and I are pals, I ain't no little cheerleader any more, I 'm gonna get me an over and under Mossberg. I can shoot as good as I can write. Don't know how to think you, Roe. Ha, ha, deal with that! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, etc. etc.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

---be afraid. be very afraid!

"I can shoot as good as I can write. Don't know how to think you, Roe"

did you teach her to shoot Roe? and no, she don't know how to think.

classclown 5 years, 5 months ago

"The Eudora man's injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, but he was transferred to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Sgt. Steve Lewis of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office."

++++

Shouldn't that say "The Eudora man's injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, SO he was transferred to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Sgt. Steve Lewis of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office."?

nlf78 5 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know what happened on Perry St??

lmn 5 years, 5 months ago

We're all in great danger if Irish shoots as well as she writes.

NicoleLeanne 5 years, 5 months ago

The Eudora Man is ok. he was released from the hospital last night

smiley__25 5 years, 5 months ago

The eudora man is a good friend of mine. I would just like to say you guy's think a .410 couldn't do much damage but I saw first hand it does enough. And its not right for you all to downplay the situation.

NicoleLeanne 5 years, 5 months ago

Smiley-His Girlfriend is actually living at my house right now, where it happened.

everyone, this is real. you obviously don't know what really happened.

SusieCreamcheeze 5 years, 5 months ago

I am more confused than any of you. First there is no 400 block of 2000 rd....we are in Palmayra township...I think I know where the house is but there is no sign of a shooting at all. So Leanne is my neighbor? What happened to the nice family with the kids that was living there? Who are you people and what are you doing living near me?

SyncMaster 5 years, 5 months ago

When is someone going to post names of the men?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

NLF, big crowd reported, fight, possibly one transported by ambulance...no details in ljworld. of course, you know, Perry st. is in north lawrence. [hope it isn't that reason why Perry st. went unreported.]

all the details I have NLF.

NicoleLeanne 5 years, 5 months ago

the address is 499 E 2000th. we're the same family that has lived there for 3 almost 4 years. i'm not going to say too much but i will say just recently we took in one of my mom's friends and her children. she was getting divorced from the shooter. he didn't know where she was but some how he found us. this wasnt supposed to happen, because he wasnt supposed to know where she was. he was a violent man. i dont feel comfortable releasing the names at this time either.

river_rat 5 years, 5 months ago

the perry st incident was a bunch of ladies drunkin fightin was in front of my trailer no ambulance but quite a bit of blood. happy 4th eh

countrygirl 5 years, 5 months ago

All I'm going to say is that the guy who got shot did a very brave thing. I'm proud to say I know him. Take care and heal fast.

redneck 5 years, 5 months ago

I wish you guys wouldn't make a joke out of this. This is a very serous matter, and I'm sure you wouldn't make a joke out of this if it involved somebody you cared for. I am very sorry for everybody involved, and thy guy who was shot is a very brave man. I hope everybody can get back to their lives and this incident doesn't keep that from happening. As far as I'm concerned, domestic violence shouldn't be treated any different from terrorism. It's the same thing, but only on a smaller scale. I hope everybody will keep in mind, that the shooter is the one who chose to turn this unpleasant situation into a deadly situation. I'm sure there was nothing else anybody could have done to prevent this from happening.

linda143john 5 years, 5 months ago

To NicoleLeanne, I do not know you and I was not there but I do know the parties involved and the shooter was NOT a violent person, if you believe he was, then you apparently did not know him. He loved his wife and children more than even they will probably ever understand in their lifetime, that is what drove him to the choice he made at that very brief moment when everything happened so fast and without thought. Had he been thinking clearly he would never have done this and he certainly would never have done it with his children at the residence. Please don't judge people by the last act that you believe they commit on this earth, it is not your job or mine. He was a very sensitive person who was full of pain not violence and the pain his death has brought his family and friends has brought life to the families that will receive transplants as a result of his death, that is the final act in this young man's life. May God and his children forgive him.