Archive for Saturday, January 31, 2009

Checking up

January 31, 2009

To the editor:

Kansas University is talking about laying off some employees and eliminating some departments they feel are not really needed anymore. It would serve them well to go through and weed out people who occupy a space only and pick up a paycheck, which are the only things they do well.

I worked for KU for 22 years, and I know a lot of people abuse their time. They work three or four days a week but put on their time sheets they were there every day. Supervisors should be taking care of employees’ time and them only. Facilities and Operations do not let their employees keep their own time. KU could save a lot of money if they paid more attention to things they evidently think are unimportant.

Jean Wright,
Lawrence

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

More evidence of why free markets, not government, show us the path to prosperity.

Luxor 6 years, 1 month ago

There are a lot of supervisors at KU who lie on their timesheets too. A lot of people are getting paid for 40 and working 20 or 30. One of the many issues that KU's HR turns a blind eye to.

imastinker 6 years, 1 month ago

The goal is not to save money. That's why don't they care.

camper 6 years, 1 month ago

God bless the people who work hard and put in 40 or 40+ hours a week. The people described in this letter are typcical of those who are in the Peter Principal (promoted to places where they can do less damage). I say it is a good thing that they don't show up for work as often as they should, because if they did, they would really distrupt the organization.

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 1 month ago

Silly girl, the supervisors aren't there to check their time. They are gone too. Thank you, Lynn

think_about_it 6 years, 1 month ago

There are multiple posters on this site with thousands of posts during working hours who work for KU. You know who you are..........

think_about_it 6 years, 1 month ago

and your time is justifyably limited at KU. We, the people who are paying your salary, are watching you.

Kelly Russell 6 years, 1 month ago

There are many lazy people who recieve a full-time paycheck with benefits when they are really only working part time. And when they are there, are they really working? But just for the record, my husband is employed at KU. He is a salaried employee. So while he regularly puts in 50-60 hours per week, he is only paid for 40 hours. He has done this for years and I wish he was paid for his time and expertise, but that is just one of the "perks" of of being salaried I guess.

MeAndFannieLou 6 years, 1 month ago

Somehow I don't think KU has any corner on deadwood. I've seen them at every workplace I've ever been in. Every workplace has do-nothings and also workhorses who pick up everyone else's slack. It's bad for morale, but it sure isn't unique to KU.