Archive for Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Homeless count gets under way

David Tucker walks along the along the Kansas River, trying to ID people who might be living out in the cold. A study released Wednesday said the homeless population of Kansas was shrinking.

January 28, 2009

Volunteers are braving the cold in 40 Kansas counties — including Douglas — to count the number of people who are homeless.

Federal grants are given to communities and organizations that take part in homeless assistance planning programs, or what's called Continuum of Care networks. Kansas has five such networks which provide services to the homeless across the state.

Check back to LJWorld.com later for more on this story.

Comments

budwhysir 6 years, 5 months ago

Great way to spend part of this funding. Required to take a count? I would suppose that any homeless people wanting help are aware of shelter locations. No need to count.

Connacht 6 years, 5 months ago

"Volunteers will survey homeless individuals who are staying in shelters or living in cars, abandoned buildings, under bridges, and other such places."That seems pretty dangerous. Who volunteers for that kind of work?

50YearResident 6 years, 5 months ago

"The count Wednesday aims to establish how many people are homeless in Kansas, how long they've been without homes and what conditions put them on the streets. Results of the study are expected to be released in April.I bet most of them will say they came to Lawrence from far away places because they found out about all the free handouts and great accomodations here. The word of mouth has spread far and wide. Lawrence is a homeless paradise.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

The counts are required for networks seeking to maintain and use federal funding.--------------------------------- This would be a good job for our city auditor.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

duplenty- I think under the bridge to no where should be heated. We are protecting snail darters, frogs, burial grounds and just about everything else, we might as well protect human life. Finally, the SLT would make some progress.

kmat 6 years, 5 months ago

The loving, right wing Christians following the word of Jesus, I see. Remember, Jesus was homeless too."If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." John 3:17-18 "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me into your home. Matthew 25:35""There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Deuteronomy 15:11 "He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." Proverbs 28:27 "When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 23:22 "If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." Deuteronomy 15:7"That's just a drop in the bucket. I am no longer a practicing Christian, but even I know the basic scriptures. Come on people! How have you gotten so cold hearted? It's disgusting.

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 5 months ago

Great post kmat !!!!It's funny to see the Christians who are all godly be the first ones to outcast the homeless or speak badly towards them.

denak 6 years, 5 months ago

"....Remember, Jesus was homeless too....."Just curious as to how you know this??Dena

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 5 months ago

denak said:….Remember, Jesus was homeless too…..”Just curious as to how you know this??Dena________Although I am not a Christian, I have spoken to Jesus. And although he did not answer my prayers, he did tell me he was homeless.

kmat 6 years, 5 months ago

Dena - if you read the New Testament, you'll know the answer.

budwhysir 6 years, 5 months ago

First off we must define homeless. Then we can conduct a count of people running the system and not willing to work to support themselves who have created a lifestyle of homeless so they can panhandle and live off me.Then you have the homeless that are mentally or physicaly unable to work or support themselves. I say support the secound let the first go on thier way.However we here in lawrence give laws like not being able to verbaly ask for money or handouts but it is perfectly ok to make a sign. Many of the panhandlers love this, it is much easier to hold a sing then say the same phrase over and over to everyone all day long

Emily Hampton 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you kmat, woodenfleaeater, and other human beings who who are still human beings. Yes. I will admit. I CHOSE to be in the "homeless lifestyle" when I was younger. Do I think people should mooch off of those work for a living? Not unless they're desperate, which many are. Do I think the people who do that are lesser than me? NO!I do a lot of things every day that I'm not necessarily proud of. I'm sure all of you saints, who spit fire at the very mention of homeless people, are perfect citizens at all times, but you have NO idea what their lives have been like.No idea what mental illnesses or addictions they might be dealing with. I now work in non-profit and try to help people no matter what their choices are. I may not understand them. But I aint gonna try to pretend either. we're all just trying to cope.