Archive for Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Longtime Lawrence resident, social worker seeking school board position

January 27, 2009

A longtime Kansas social worker and Lawrence resident is seeking a seat on the Lawrence school board.

Bob Byers, who also is chairman of the school district’s Equity Council, filed this week. He joins seven other candidates.

“I think school districts around the country, Lawrence specifically, will have some major issues coming up around the budget, how to stay strong and not go backwards when you’re confronted with major cuts,” said Byers, whose son is a Lawrence High School graduate.

Byers has worked for nearly three decades for the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services. He is currently an assistant program administrator for child support enforcement with the agency.

A state budget crunch will present challenges, but Byers said his time working on equity issues in the district and his professional experience will pay dividends during lean times.

“There’s some hard decisions that have to be made, and they’ve got to be made in a manner in which we don’t lose the gains that we’ve made,” he said.

Comments

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

What does being "African American" have to do with anything, Pogo? Your racism and lack of intelligence continue to shine.

rusty2 6 years, 2 months ago

sounds like a USD 497 'yes man'.not what we need.

jayhawk13 6 years, 2 months ago

Those of you that don't know anything about Mr. Byers please keep your comments to yourself. He deserves a fair shot. Working for SRS means that he is a caring person and wants to make a difference in the community. So just zip it Pogo!!!!!!!!!!!!

mememe 6 years, 2 months ago

Pogo - by "reputation" do you mean gossip? or do you mean found guilty under the law? or do you mean sanctioned by the department for which he works? or most likely you mean you and some of your "street" informants have had experiences with Mr. Byers in his previous capacity as a child abuse investigator which did not conclude in your favor...

jayhawk13 6 years, 2 months ago

Pogo-obviously you know nothing about Mr. Byers, so I suggest you just shut your mouth. You say" Byers wasn't an investigator", well that is not the truth AT ALL!. He was, and was liked by most of his customers. If you know anything then you know that you don't start at the top, one has to work their way up. He is very good at what he does, and the school board will benefit from his knowledge and passion for heping the community.

1lawrencemom 6 years, 2 months ago

Sorry Pogo, I'm with meme and jayhawk. Whoever you are I would doubt if you've held any job for 30 years your record is flawless either. What I would look at in making a choice as to who I want helping make decisions about the schools my kids attend include (but are not limited to) intellect, ability, and knowledge of the needs and strengths of this community. This would not include gossip about ALLEGED ALLEGATIONS ALLEGEDLY made by ALLEGED subordinate emloyees. But I suppose everyone has their own criteria for making decisions and doing things like posting stuff on a public forum that they can't back up and are intended only to cut down someone brave enough to try to make a positive difference in the community.

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 2 months ago

Pogo,I am sorry you are a racist, I will pray for you.

listener 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm so glad to see that others are seeing through the rantings of Pogo.................Mr. Byers was, in fact, an investigator. Also, Pogo posts dont' make sense or stand to reason. If he/she is to be believed, Mr. Byers is both a "yes man" and has a "pock marked past". This just doesn't stand to reason. Most "yes men" have exemplary records because they are, well, "yes men" and they avoid trouble..........so, which is it Pogo, is he pock marked or is he a yes man, can't have it both ways. You post as though you have information, if you have any CREDIBLE information, I'm sure people would love to hear it, if all you have is gossip, then keep it to yourself and let this good person step forward and try to do good for the people of this community. Mr. Byer has dedicated his life and professional career to children and families-of course he has angered some-it comes with the territory. The fact that he has shown that he has the where with all to stay with it for 30 years should tell us that he has what it takes to make some really tough decisions that won't be popular.I'm sure that in 30 years he has made some decisions that have been less than perfect-I don't believe he has claimed to be more than human-please correct me if I am wrong.He absolutely has my vote!!!!!And before you count my worth as a human being by how many posts I have made to this forum, I'll help you out, I believe this is my 3rd.............not really sure why you think that says something about a person.

listener 6 years, 2 months ago

"even we will vote for him"....multiple personality disorder going on there? Do you represent a group? You have still posted no CREDIBLE information that I asked for-do you have any????

listener 6 years, 2 months ago

Still waiting for you to "bring" what you have insinuated, but since you haven't, I will assume you have nothing. I have no wagons to circle. Mr. Byers is what he is and as stated before, the "peole" have seen through you..............

Jayhawk2007 6 years, 2 months ago

What a surprise, someone has a grudge against a social worker! He isn't an ice cream man, people are going to hate him for what he does, just like pogo. The people who typically hate him tend to be those who were on the bad end of the stick. Not to mention those who truly know this man, would realize that his mother-in-law lived in lawrence and leaving Topeka had a lot to do with caring for her in her old age. So who ever your "street" informants are need to look a touch deeper.