Archive for Friday, January 23, 2009

No arrest in incident involving gun at LHS

School reacts swiftly after Tuesday report

A Lawrence High School student who admitted he brought a gun to school has not been arrested.

January 23, 2009

A Lawrence High School student who admitted he brought a gun to school has not been arrested, police said Friday.

On Tuesday, the high school senior told a worker at the school he had taken a gun to school on Jan. 16. The school contacted Lawrence police to investigate.

Principal Steve Nilhas said it's a very serious situation anytime a student reports such activity and that swift action was taken.

Nilhas said he didn't know why the student reported taking the gun or why he waited several days to report it. But, it's a situation administrators said they don’t take lightly.

The principal would not release additional information about the incident, because of an ongoing police investigation.

"Having something like this on campus is not a safe situation," Nilhas said. "We want to avoid that."

Students at the school had mixed feelings about the report of a possible deadly weapon in their school.

"That's really immature," said Mary Grace Paez, junior. "I just don't get how kids bring guns to school."

Nilhas wouldn't release details about the student or his past, calling it private information.

The case will be forwarded to prosecutors for consideration of charges, once the school's resource officer files the appropriate paperwork, a police spokeswoman said.

Taking a weapon to a Lawrence school can result in long-term suspension or expulsion.

Comments

dani36921 5 years, 3 months ago

I think students should have the right to know who it was, for their own safety. Once he is convicted of course. I have some inside info and apparently HE did not tell somone he brought a gun, but a close friend of his told on him. It seemed too stupid to tell on yourself anyway

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

even if he was, what does that have to do with anything??

pickaname 5 years, 3 months ago

jayhawker666 (Anonymous) says… It just so happens that this kid is half black half mexican.This is NOT true!!!

yoornotmee 5 years, 3 months ago

My old school had a shooting. Three killed, one paralyzed. While zero tolerance is often too extreme for my taste, when it comes to firearms in school, I think the student should be expelled and locked away for some amount of time. You just don't bring a gun to school.

invictus 5 years, 3 months ago

"It just so happens that this kid is half black half mexican."lets cut him some slack then, considering slavery and mexico's loss in the mexican-american war. Is there an adress where I can send him money?

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

where are the parents in all of this? I was once charged with "minor out after curfew" when my 17 year old son was found sitting on the curb in front of our house at midnight. we had been arguing and he went there to cool off. I can't believe there hasn't been any action taken against the kids parents.

rainyday50 5 years, 3 months ago

jayhawker666 - How do you know who it was? Do you have any idea what they meant in the article about the student's "past"? Sounds like there may have been some trouble before, or some psych history, since he felt comfortable talking to a staff member, not bragging to peers, and could have been in a counseling session. Definitely sounds to me like he wanted help and/or attention. Absent parents? Likely.

jayhawker666 5 years, 3 months ago

It just so happens that this kid is half black half mexican.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Alm-I graduated in 1996 and remember pretty much the same thing during hunting season...rifles in many of the trucks. Of course a few years later, they would bring dogs onto the lots, and break into a kid's truck (without telling him)even if there was a spent casing from target shooting. Zero tolerence is stupid.I am not justifying the kid's actions, but there seems to be an incredible lack of facts in this article. Did he accidently leave a shotgun in his vehicle, or did he have a Glock in his locker? Two, very different situations. Was he bragging about having the gun in a manner where it could be interpreted he was going to shoot up the place, or did he tell a "trusted" teacher he forgot to take a shotgun out of his vehicle after target shooting/hunting? Again, I am not justifying his actions, but I would like more detail before I jump to conclusions.

redmoonrising 5 years, 3 months ago

No one was justifying the kids actions. Just throwing out some ideas as to why. He could have been bullied, threatened by someone else, done it on a dare, showing off or just didn't have the nerve to carry out his Columbine-like plan and realized that he needed help and figured telling would keep him from trying again. At least he didn't go shooting out windows and cars to scare old ladies. Now that makes a lot of sense over a baseball. Good thing they didn't hit her by mistake. Would that have been justified as boys being boys? Better yet, she didn't relaliate with her own shotgun so one of those boys is here to tell the story. In today's world, if everyone took a shot every time someone p****d someone off, we'd be ducking for cover all the time. We might evolve into four legged creatures slinking close to the ground to avoid all the bullets.

jafs 5 years, 3 months ago

People should really learn how to read.This case will be forwarded to prosecutors after the necessary school paperwork has been completed, according to the article.Also, the poster who mentioned bullying didn't say that justified the actions - they merely pointed to a possible explanation.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 3 months ago

sorry that was kind of mean i appologize to everyone who is involved with lhs

Tony Kisner 5 years, 3 months ago

oh good old FREESTATE!!!!!!! this story is just to stipuid its funny!!

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

Tale of a gun!No gun?or Gun.Tale of a gun!In America we have rights and there is rule of law."I thought I brought a gun but it was a joke to get attention"."because some kids were bulling me"?Facts people facts.There is no case without the evidence and hear say is not fact or evidence.I thought all you went to school?Give yourself 8. Lol.

del888 5 years, 3 months ago

alm77 (Anonymous) says… I graduated in 1995 from a small town in southern Missouri. 3 million people..... 4 last names

Marion Lynn 5 years, 3 months ago

password wrote:"password (Anonymous) says… perhaps peer pressure or bullying could be a reason he brought the gun to school?"Marion then wrote:"Marion (Marion Lynn) says… password (Anonymous) says…perhaps peer pressure or bullying could be a reason he brought the gun to school?”Marion writes:Your post was a joke, right?"password then wrote:"password (Anonymous) says… no, why would it be a joke? a kid could retalliate against someone who's bullying them with extreme forces. things like this have happened. but a positive thing is that he admitted to it."Marion writes:So you are justifying the kid's potential use of deadly force because he maybe got "bullied"?You are justifying the breaking of several firearms laws, both state and federal because the kid might have been "bullied"?You think that it is OK for the kid tonot be rpsecuted for all kinds of violations of firearms laws because he might have been "bullied"?Woo Hoo!Over 40,000 firearms laws in this country and you let this kid go?

alm77 5 years, 3 months ago

I graduated in 1995 from a small town in southern Missouri. I remember when I started high school, most of the boys had guns on their gun racks (in their trucks) especially during hunting season. Then the rules changed, so, they'd meet after hunting and before school in the parking lot, put all the guns in one truck, which would then be parked a half a block away at our 3rd grade teacher's house. We were probably all safer when the guns were kept individually, but "rules is rules" ;) .

password 5 years, 3 months ago

Freestater456 5 years, 3 months ago

Who in their right mind would tell a school employee that they brought a gun to school! I guess he did bring a gun to school so he probably wasn't in his right mind but still.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 3 months ago

password (Anonymous) says… perhaps peer pressure or bullying could be a reason he brought the gun to school?"Marion writes:Your post was a joke, right?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm.Kid brings gun to school, violating how many laws?Kid not prosecuted."Liberals" howl about "gun control". and yet in the very steaming, smelly swamp of Kansas liberalism, the kid is not prosecuted.Now the "liberals" will use this incident as yet another excuse to deprive law abiding citizens of their rights.

hipper_than_hip 5 years, 3 months ago

A guy during my junior year at LHS stole a shotgun off the National Guard career day table and hid it in his locker. He got cold feet about taking it home, so he just left in the locker, and a janitor found it after school let out for the summer. He didn't come back for the fall semester.

invictus 5 years, 3 months ago

Vega,No but you never can be too cautious.

password 5 years, 3 months ago

vega 5 years, 3 months ago

"invictus (Anonymous) says…During College I had my shotgun under my bed during pheasant season. It was store it there or in my car, but I didn't want it stolen. In hindsight I probably was breaking a rule but it was civil disobedience."Were there a lot of pheasants under your bed? I didn't know pheasants get into people's bedrooms...

invictus 5 years, 3 months ago

macon47 5 years, 3 months ago

"I didn't feel good about it when I heard about it," said Mattie Casad, junior. "I was pretty scared."FOR GOSH SHAKES GET A GRIP THIS POOR KID NEEDS TO BORROW HERPARENTS TIN FOIL HAT

1029 5 years, 3 months ago

Back in the day everyone brought their guns to school. We used to sit around the old oak tree at lunch cleaning our guns and tellin stories of what we had killed. I remember there was this mean old lady that used to keep our baseballs if they went into her yard when we were kids. Well I'll tell you what, once we started in high school we would walk by her house everyday after school and shoot out her windows or put bullet holes in her car. That old witch was so scared she never did nothing. Good times. They never let boys be boys these days.

Kevin Sontag 5 years, 3 months ago

Smokey, this is not Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.You mark that frame an 8, you're entering a world of pain.

Confrontation 5 years, 3 months ago

Arrest the parents for raising a stupid kid.

daddax98 5 years, 3 months ago

sounds like a pretty serious cry for an a$$ whipping!!

lisabeth2002 5 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a pretty serious cry for help!!