Archive for Thursday, January 22, 2009

Helping Obama

January 22, 2009

To the editor:

President Obama (how nice to write that) brought the slogan “Yes We Can,” and he has reminded us over and over that “we” are an essential part of change. Getting our country back on track will take effort from all of us. Here are some simple suggestions for things we all can do to help current crises.

Health care:

• If you have a chronic illness, be more diligent in taking care of yourself.

• If you smoke, stop. Help is available.

• If you drink too much or get in trouble with drugs, stop. Join a 12-step group or call DCCCA.

• Don’t drink and drive.

• If you need to start a diet, do it now.

• Get enough exercise.

Economy:

• Work hard.

• Don’t go into debt for things you don’t need. Buy American when you can.

• Patronize locally owned businesses; let your money recirculate in Lawrence and Kansas.

• Don’t waste gas; think when you use it. Let’s buy less oil from foreign nations.

Environment:

• Again, don’t waste gas.

• Turn down the thermostat, especially at night and when you’re not at home.

• Minimize your use of electricity; think when you use it. Recycle, reuse. Check out Lawrence Freecycle.

Community:

• Help someone you don’t know. The Roger Hill Volunteer Center has suggestions.

• Become more aware of what’s happening in your local, state, national government.

• Raise hell the next time a leader tries to take us into war.

Joe Douglas,
Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years, 3 months ago

Excellent list of suggestions Mr Douglas .Drive less - Celebrate more!Celebrate clean air and lovely breathing.Be green and save some green! Get your shopping done without all those driving headaches. Trip chain and use transportation options. Plus, you might not even have to hit the road.You"ll save wear and tear on you, your wallet,your vehicle and the planet! Just make a list and check it twice. Combine shopping trips. Map out the most efficient routes. Shop close to home aka locally if possibly Increase the fun by carpooling to stores. Bike, walk or take transit JOCO K-10 Connector or The T YES! * Shop online locally ---- lots of local business people offer online shopping yep in downtown Lawrence. Vinland Valley Nursey may soon be joining this group. Some folks will need vehicles for work purposes no question about it. Buttttttttt will not always need a vehicle for other events. Leaving gas powered vehicles behind as often as possible will make a huge difference.

labmonkey 7 years, 3 months ago

-Don't shop at Wal-Mart and support China.-Look at the label and buy American-made...even if it costs more.-No More SUV's...

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

• Stop patronizing the corrupt right wing media and think for yourself.

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

Yea, when I listened to the President's speech, I didn't picture any of the things mentioned in the letter, except maybe debt reduction, and a big group hug. Freezing white house salaries (over 100,000) is a good start

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

The O'dude wants you to have good bowel movements. Eat more fiber.

Leslie Swearingen 7 years, 3 months ago

Joe, I hate you, seriously, you are a major git.I don't understand why someone would not like Obama. I mean what is not to like?I am not an Obama Zombie, I am an Obama supporter, we share the same ideas, the same ideals, the same hopes for the future.That is why I voted for him.That is why I am happy today.The naysayers will not defeat me.Dust off my shoulders.

Leslie Swearingen 7 years, 3 months ago

My guy is president of the United States, my guy is already accomplishing things, my guy is respected world wide for being competent, articulate and willing to talk and work with others.Your guy couldn't give away free tickets when he returned to Texas.Nananana, nananana, hey, hey,hey, goodbye!!

labmonkey 7 years, 3 months ago

Although I don't like Obama, this is a good letter. All I would add is look at the label when you buy something. If it says "Made in China," you can probably do without it (that means no more shopping at Wal-Mart). Obama's theme song should be "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour.

Leslie Swearingen 7 years, 3 months ago

Same old hate, same old insults, if I replied in kind then I would be lower than a snakes belly.Obama is a good man who is trying to bring morality and decency back to how our country deals with other countries. We will not compromise our ideals.Communication is a two way street and must be done with mutual respect.Nothing will diminish what Obama is doing, no matter what anyone does or says.My faith in him will not waver one inch.

ddayot 7 years, 3 months ago

Obama had the first chance to cut back and did anything but that. How much gas and energy could have been saved by not having the largest planned inauguration in history....... how about 130 tons of post inauguration trash? I'll cut back when those who ask us to, do it first.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 3 months ago

-Dance like no one is watching-Love like you'll never be hurt-Sing like no one is listening-Live like it's heaven on earth- Oh, and recite as many cheesy cliches as you can muster up.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

The O'dude was the go-along, get-along guy that never rocked the boat of Chicago corruption. He can't get away with voting 'present' anymore.

Jim Phillips 7 years, 3 months ago

How much money will George Soros kick back into the community? Will the Clintons give back the $10k they get every month from the government to house their Secret Service Agents in the guest house on the Clinton Estate that costs them $10k a month? What community improvements is Barbara Streisand going to finance? How many homeless people is Whoopi going to house this year? What benefit concerts are the Dixie Chics doing this year?

Jason Bailey 7 years, 3 months ago

Cleopatra wrote:"Same old hate, same old insults, if I replied in kind then I would be lower than a snakes belly."Earlier in the forum, Cleopatra wrote:"Joe I really hate you..."Guess you're officially lower than a snake's belly.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

Under the old system, those who didn't take care of themselves paid the price in ill health, higher insurance premiums, and earlier deaths. This allowed people who made good choices to benefit and those with bad choices to suffer the consequences of their own choices. The problem with socialized medicine is, and always will be, the "moral hazard" of forcing others to pay the price for the individuals bad choices. Personally, I plan to take full advantage of the new system. When the young and healthy realize how much they are paying for the health bills of those older and sicker than they are (lower birth rates means the US population is getting older, think of a inverted pyramid with the few supporting many) not to mention all the illegals who never paid a dime into the system and they will wake up and realize they have been scammed by the AARP. I also will be quitting my job and collecting all the benefits I possibly can and I am not alone. Sigmund Shrugged.

TacoBob 7 years, 3 months ago

Work HardRock HardEat HardSleep HardGrow BigWear Glasses if you need 'em

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says… "Shop online locally –- lots of local business people offer online shopping yep in downtown Lawrence. Vinland Valley Nursey may soon be joining this group."I recently bought a TV online. Locally this little beauty ran $2,000, plus sales tax of $146, plus delivery of $80, for a grand total of $2,226. Online it was $1,500, zip for taxes, zip for delivery, for a grand total $1,500. I saved $726 or 33% from buying locally. That is how you do that.The best part isn't the $500 i saved on the set or the $80 I saved on delivery. Nope, I saved the taxpayers the pain of watching the city of Lawrence and Richard Heckler wasting $146 of my sales tax dollars and now I get to waste it on whatever I want. Moving forward and as the local sales taxes increase in 2009, I will buying whatever I can from anywhere but Lawrence and smiling just a bit bigger.

labmonkey 7 years, 3 months ago

Cleo is a moron and hypocrite. If she wants to go that route, then W. was probably the most moral President we ever had. He always did what HE thought was right, never really giving a damn what the country thought....and you see where that got us. Many people had unwavering faith in him too, and you see where that got us. Take your Wal-Mart bought blinders off and look at the truth (and really, shopping at Wal-Mart goes against what Obama encourages...if you have unwavering faith in him, quit shopping there! http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/cleopatra-on-the-kaw/2008/dec/26/why-i-love-wal-mart/ ). You should never put your faith in anyone, especially a President because he has sold his soul at one point to get there. Until he actually does something, "Cult of Personality" will play in my head everytime I think of him.

Scott Drummond 7 years, 3 months ago

"I recently bought a TV online. Locally this little beauty ran $2,000, plus sales tax of $146, plus delivery of $80, for a grand total of $2,226. Online it was $1,500, zip for taxes, zip for delivery, for a grand total $1,500. I saved $726 or 33% from buying locally. That is how you do that.The best part isn't the $500 i saved on the set or the $80 I saved on delivery. Nope, I saved the taxpayers the pain of watching the city of Lawrence and Richard Heckler wasting $146 of my sales tax dollars and now I get to waste it on whatever I want. Moving forward and as the local sales taxes increase in 2009, I will buying whatever I can from anywhere but Lawrence and smiling just a bit bigger."Well, good for you. Aren't you smart? By the way (and I do mean this seriously) do you work? Will you tell us where & what industry? I'd appreciate a chance to make a decision on supporting your continued employment. To save a buck, you understand.

Leslie Swearingen 7 years, 3 months ago

In Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope, he talks about Wal-Mart associates in a positive way. My daughter is one of those and that is one reason I started to like Obama. Perhaps, I should not have written, I hate Joe, that was the emotion of the moment when I felt attacked and threatened. People will always have differences of opinion and express them in ways that feel immediately good, but are not so much so in the long run.Like Obama says, we need to find a way to communicate a difference of thought in a calm, reflective, respectful way.We will all violate this at times, we can all pick ourselves up , dust ourselves off and try one more time.

Leslie Swearingen 7 years, 3 months ago

I find it interesting that when I stepped on someones toes I was told off in no uncertain terms. (But women are learning from our new and marvelous first lady that it is okay to be tough. I can dish it out and I can take it.)But, my question is why is it that no one saw fit to comment when I tried to be conciliatory and communicate. Like the husband of Michele.

Centerville 7 years, 3 months ago

This letter, "Helping Obama" is like watching The Night of the Living Dead. Creepy. Which makes me think it's complete satire. Good job! Almost had us!