To the editor:
President Obama (how nice to write that) brought the slogan “Yes We Can,” and he has reminded us over and over that “we” are an essential part of change. Getting our country back on track will take effort from all of us. Here are some simple suggestions for things we all can do to help current crises.
• If you have a chronic illness, be more diligent in taking care of yourself.
• If you smoke, stop. Help is available.
• If you drink too much or get in trouble with drugs, stop. Join a 12-step group or call DCCCA.
• Don’t drink and drive.
• If you need to start a diet, do it now.
• Get enough exercise.
• Work hard.
• Don’t go into debt for things you don’t need. Buy American when you can.
• Patronize locally owned businesses; let your money recirculate in Lawrence and Kansas.
• Don’t waste gas; think when you use it. Let’s buy less oil from foreign nations.
• Again, don’t waste gas.
• Turn down the thermostat, especially at night and when you’re not at home.
• Minimize your use of electricity; think when you use it. Recycle, reuse. Check out Lawrence Freecycle.
• Help someone you don’t know. The Roger Hill Volunteer Center has suggestions.
• Become more aware of what’s happening in your local, state, national government.
• Raise hell the next time a leader tries to take us into war.