Archive for Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Local students spend day learning about inauguration

Students at New York Elementary watched the inauguration live, and are hopeful for the future.

January 20, 2009

Fifth-grader Marcya Floyd leans on her history book while she watching the swearing in of President Barack Obama in her classroom at New York Elementary School on Tuesday.

Inauguration Day 2009

President Barack Obama takes the oath of office from Chief Justice John Roberts at the U.S. Capitol in Washington on Tuesday.

Obama’s inauguration

Barack Obama will become the 44th President of the United States on January 20, 2009 — the first African-American elected to the position. Many locals will make the trip to Washington, D.C., to watch the historic event. Others will watch from here in Kansas.

Presidential Memories
Obama’s inauguration

Reserve a piece of history

Purchase images from the historic 2008 election and inauguration.

Obama’s inauguration

Inauguration Commemorative Package

Purchase commemorative copies of the Journal-World.

Students at New York School on Tuesday tuned in to television coverage of Barack Obama’s inauguration as the nation’s 44th president.

“It was just an amazing day because Barack Obama, he’s the first African-American president,” said sixth-grader Stewart Metz.

Students couldn’t believe the size of the crowd.

“From the White House to the Washington Memorial, just packed with people,” Metz said.

While they might not have been able to help elect the president, the students understood the importance of the event.

“No one (ever) knew an African-American president would win,” said fifth-grader Ja’Darius Woods. “Now Barack Obama made history.”

Vicki Penner joined her daughter, Sophia Minder, a fifth-grader, in class to witness the ceremony.

“It was exciting to know that she’ll have a model of a president that at least I really admire and she’ll see what possibilities there are in good national leadership,” Penner said. “He’s the next generation.”

Some of the students have a lot of hope for their new leader.

“His presence gives out a good vibe,” said sixth-grader Jasmine Keys. “Sometimes you just get the feeling that you already know that something good’s going to come.”

Jai Strecker thinks Obama can live up to his promises. “He seems like he really wants to make this country better and that he wants to solve all the problems.”

But they weren’t the only ones who were excited to see Barack Obama take office.

“A lot of teachers were crying in class,” Woods said. “I think he’s going to be the best president.”

Comments

ECEforAll 5 years, 11 months ago

I used to work for the afterschool program at New York and most of these students were in my classroom when they were in kindergarten and first grade. Watching them in the video and reading their quotes brought tears to my eyes and has made me so proud to see the caring and aware young people they are becoming. What a wonderful day for them to experience!

Trobs 5 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully this gets them involved in the democratic process. They research candidates and choose based on their beliefs and ideals. Sadly, there are a lot of teachers who preach their ideals and beliefs to the students while teaching this sort of thing. I think that corrupts the process no matter what the teacher believes.

Aiko 5 years, 11 months ago

What they should be taught is to RESPECT the current President as well as the next in line. I see where children are learning to hate political figures from elders and that will only hurt our country from this point on..

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

DonQuipunch (Anonymous) says…"My 8-year-old son was actually quite sad about this, since I explained to him what abortion was."Then you have to show him how the poor lived in the third world countries, and how many babies they have, and how they are deprived of proper birth control measures. Then, he'll even be sadder.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

Trobs (Anonymous) says…"Hopefully this gets them involved in the democratic process. They research candidates and choose based on their beliefs and ideals.Sadly, there are a lot of teachers who preach their ideals and beliefs to the students while teaching this sort of thing. I think that corrupts the process no matter what the teacher believes."The same goes with your pastors who preach things that "corrupt" your children's mind.

Aiko 5 years, 11 months ago

Liberty_NOne: Is that what I said? Try again....

Jason Bailey 5 years, 11 months ago

For the life of me I simply don't get the "I feel like Obama's going to do good" or "I feel that Obama gives me hope". This way of thinking is just so foreign to me.Obama has no track record to go on besides a liberal voting record in the Senate and at the State level. Personally, I wanted a President who has a deep history that I can review and executive experience in some aspect of their life. I doubt that any Board of Directors at a Fortune 500 company would hire a CEO based on how he made them "feel" -- it's always based on a track record of results. Yet, we've elected a CEO who made us feel good. Apparently we get what we deserve.

Keith 5 years, 11 months ago

I love the sound of wingnuts in the morning, it reminds me of victory.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

jason2007 (Anonymous) says…"Obama has no track record to go on besides a liberal voting record in the Senate and at the State level. Personally, I wanted a President who has a deep history that I can review and executive experience in some aspect of their life. I doubt that any Board of Directors at a Fortune 500 company would hire a CEO based on how he made them “feel” — it's always based on a track record of results. Yet, we've elected a CEO who made us feel good. Apparently we get what we deserve."Looking back will only bring a nation backward. He doesn't have the "experience" to run office, but since when has a president of the United States has the experience at the Oval office? What track records are you talking about? What track records do George Bush has to offer?

UfoPilot 5 years, 11 months ago

Did they do this four years ago? Eight years ago? Twelve years ago?

DRsmith 5 years, 11 months ago

Good point UfoPilot. All of sudden it is just now important.

1029 5 years, 11 months ago

Since society will likely move leftward as it evolves, I too am teaching my kid about the really important issues like abortion. It is every good God-fearing conservative's duty to try to create more good christian conservatives to replace our aging population. Access to information and increased educational opportunities can potentially put our people on the brink on extinction someday.Plus, you got all these liberal teachers teaching our kids to be liberals. The only safe thing these days is to homeschool and train your kids the way you want them to be trained, with good conservative values. If you don't, you're going to be sorry once you see what happens once they start interacting with diverse groups of people and seeing issues from multiple and complex perspectives.

melg 5 years, 11 months ago

Has the whole country gone crazy? I can't beleave what everyone in the country, LJ World included, could be so wrong about barack. The statement, first black president is totally wrong. He is just as much white as he is black. If people would check they would find that he 1/2 white and 1/2 black. Since he is not black and he is not white, his race should not be mentioned.I think Barack is a good man, but he is not black.

Trobs 5 years, 11 months ago

"The same goes with your pastors who preach things that “corrupt” your children's mind."My father is a minister. He taught me to love and respect everyone regardless of race, color, creed, sexual orientation, etc. He taught me to love God above all things. He taught me to be like Jesus the Christ and forgive. I'm sure the ministers you refer to are the hate mongers who spout hate. These men and women have distorted the Christian faith from one of peace and forgiveness to one of hate and condemnation. If you wish to condemn them, feel free. However, do not assume all ministers preach that. I do not assume all teachers are biased, but some are. Do not assume all ministers are wack jobs.

ECEforAll 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow 1029,Did you really just say “train your kids the way you want them to be trained”? Last time I checked you train a dog and educate a child.

Jason Bailey 5 years, 11 months ago

Livingstone wrote:"What track records are you talking about? What track records do George Bush has to offer?"Oh boy...now I'm understanding a bit more about those that voted Obama.Let me speak slowly: e-x-e-c-u-t-i-v-e- experience. I do believe that Governor of a state plus owner of a sport franchise do qualify as executive experience. Reagan and Clinton also were governors.Obama has zippo in the realm of executive experience.

formerksteacher 5 years, 11 months ago

I can't believe people are actually suggesting that a teacher crying or showing emotion during the inaugural events yesterday should be fired!! I must say I didn't cry, but I was quite moved yesterday simply by the fact that so many Americans were brought together in one show of camraderie, Aretha Franklin was amazing, and it really got me just watching the kids CARE to listen. I encouraged them to clap when the crowd clapped - after performances, etc. It's basic courtesy, and yes, kids need to be taught those things. The thought that hopefully this fervor will at least get them INVOLVED, whether democrat or republican is very exciting. Why would anyone be surprised to see a teacher crying when showing something to their students that sparks something within them!? That's what (MOST OF) the teachers I know state as the thing they enjoy most about their jobs - when they see a light bulb really start shining. It's sad to see people who want to blame and convict any time you have the chance to jump to a conclusion.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

jason2007 (Anonymous) says…"Oh boy…now I'm understanding a bit more about those that voted Obama. Let me speak slowly: e-x-e-c-u-t-i-v-e- experience. I do believe that Governor of a state plus owner of a sport franchise do qualify as executive experience. Reagan and Clinton also were governors.Obama has zippo in the realm of executive experience."Oh boy, now I understand those who voted for Bush... first, you don't even remember that you didn't write down "executive experience", but "track record". Track record is very different from executive experience... you sound very Bushie.Second, someone can spent their entire life having executive experience, but does all the wrong thing. Executive experience is only a "bull" invented by the Mccain campaign, alongside Joe Six Pack and Joe the Plumber.... now... tell me, who is more stupid? Those who voted for Joe Six Pack and Joe the Plumber or those who voted for change?

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

One more thing, jason2007, remember, Bush couldn't even speak properly when he first took office, and kept missing out words after words after words... and even made many blunders. He didn't start working until several months later, and probably just after 9/11. I don't know if you call that executive experience that he learned from Texas, but if you consider that experience, that'll be a joke. When the GOP has nothing to bring out, about experience (Obama holds many proper jobs), then, they bring out executive experience. Executive experience means, the experience to execute an order... RIGHT OR WRONG.What you're saying is that 53% of people who voted for Obama are all stupid, and 50% of those who voted for Bush are smart. Excellent. It's so easy to forget the total number of errors Bush (and of course congress) has made.I now know the level of "knowledge" the other 47% of people has. You lost, boo-hoo!

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

Jason2007, here is more for you. Do you think Abraham Lincoln is one of the best presidents we have in the US history? Well, he was a Republican. And guess what? He HAD NO EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE before he became the U.S. President. In fact, he wasn't even a Senator, but a Representative! Next? John F. Kennedy!Richard Nixon didn't even have executive experience before he became Vice-President, and we all know VP does nothing at all!Before the GOP ever brings out Joe Six Pack, Joe the Plumber, and no executive experience, do some fact checking! Go read the history before bringing out old stories. And stopped yourself from brainwashing by FAUX NEWS!

Aiko 5 years, 11 months ago

Liberty_None:"Respect" is what I typed. Try again.......

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

Did_I_say_that:"Abraham Lincoln did indeed have executive experience (as it relates to his time). History records his ownership of several businesses, some successful and some not. He was a captain in the Illinois Militia. Lincoln was also full partner (executive) in at least two law firms. As to Mr. Lincoln’s political affiliation, he was actually a Whig before he became one of the founders of the Republican Party."You may want to change these articles:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_previous_executive_experiencehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_LincolnWell, you GOP likes to redefine "executive" experience the way you want.... nice try. So Obama's work in non-profit, base on your new definition, is also considered executive experience?He taught constitution laws, so he's more conversant with the laws than Mccain and Palin all add up together...Well, now do you clearly see why Mccain lost the election even with his TONNES of experience? And the GOP are still crying over "executive" experience? Well, creating a false sense of ownership and people.... doesn't work. Obama is the real Joe Six Pack, and Joe the Plumber, because he worked on the ground level, he worked for poor people, he wasn't a rich man, he gave up law practice to underpay himself to work in a poor neighborhood. He created more foundations, and helped more poor people than McCain and Palin combined!The Faux News still ran things that Obama doesn't have an economic plan, but we clearly saw it when he was running for President. Though many didn't like it... but he has a plan! But McCain was still running on his Vietnam experience, Joe Six Pack, Joe the Plumber... NO PLANS! A lousy plan is much better than no plan!Tell me, what's so important about "Executive" experience... it's all a GOP made-up... I watched Faux News daily... just to cheer myself up watching all the made-up.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

Did_I_say_that:Read all articles published on the web... nearly all of them clearly stated that Lincoln didn't have executive experiences.Are the GOPs so stupid as not to understand why Obama use Lincoln's bible to sworn in? The way he "resembles" Lincoln more than anyone else? Come on! Maybe, this is too complicated for many GOP voters! Who only understand Joe Six Pack, Joe the Plumber, Communism, and of course "Executive Experience"!

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 11 months ago

Did_I_say_that,If my words sound negative, I do apologize. However, it's really true that Lincoln didn't have the kind of "executive" experience that the GOP claimed Obama didn't have before he took office.http://asifyoucare.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/does-executive-experience-make-a-good-president-the-results/There are too many opinions out there.Again, this is my last posting to you.