Archive for Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Junior high students write letters to the editor

January 20, 2009

Dear readers,

The following letters are the result of a lesson in persuasive writing. In order to give my students a more realistic experience in this process, I contacted Mr. Dennis Anderson of the Lawrence Journal-World about giving them advice on effective persuasive writing. I would like to thank Mr. Anderson for his time and effort when assisting me with this project. I am grateful for his time spent in my classroom, as well as his offer to publish these letters.

As you read the following letters, be aware that the students are new to the process of writing an effective argument. They researched their topic and were to include a good mix of facts and opinions. As with all projects within the school setting, this is a learning process that is always in progress. My goal for this project was to help teach these young adults how to present their personal opinions in a manner that is fitting and effective. It is my hope that constructive criticism will be provided to further stimulate the learning process.

Sally Landoll

Language Arts teacher

Southwest Junior High

Comments

Jason Bailey 5 years, 11 months ago

demonfury wrote:"I can tell you that the work represented in this young man's letter was equal to the level of work expected of my 10th grader."Not sure that's exactly saying much. Could be that the standards for 10th grade composition are equal to the ability of a 7th grader? Two ways of looking at the coin.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

These are kids, for the love of God! Why do so call grown up men get off on attacking children? They need support and encouragement, not someone nitpicking until they give in and give up.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey Sally,Your students are miles ahead of some. They put their real names behind the thoughts offered to the public. Great job and thanks to all who provided encouragement.Merrill

lily 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, kudos to the students and teacher. I've seen examples of college students writing and let's just say not everyone has the same abilities for whatever reason. Maybe they would have done better if they'd had such a teacher.

Judgesmails 5 years, 11 months ago

Informed's horned rimmed glasses are on too tight.Lighten up, Poindexter

energy 5 years, 11 months ago

I applaud Mrs. Landolls determination to make kids like me get into journalism by making persuasion letters that were sent to the paper. It gives me a humble feeling that kids might now be heard for topics that we talk about every day. Us kids apprieciate it very greatfully

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

welcome to our comment threads Energy!I am one poster who welcomes hearing from the middle school and high school citizens in our community. ***Mrs. Landoll,I am glad you are putting the time in to teach your students this way. I assume you will include a discussion of outcomes and results of publishing their letters.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 11 months ago

After reading the recent letters by young people about their concerns Sally Landoll,Language Arts teacher, deserves recognition for the art of encouragement. The young writers deserve a hats off for moving forward with that project. Excellent performance on relating your thoughts to the public.Teenagers are selling themselves short. Put ingenuity to work and tell boredom to take a hike. More new buildings will not eliminate boredom. You young people can do it!Do any of the parents have space for a 4'X8' sheet of plywood to build a lego city that could involve more than one teen?http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Department.aspx?d=9&CMP=KAC-YAHOONA&HQS=lego+city How to get around: Use bikes and feet = exercise or public transportation. Walking or biking about town will provide a ton of exercise. Remember water.Do one day of:indoor poolgo to a moviework on Lego City ( we're talking 1,000's of pieces)have a gathering in a home – play cards take bike hikes to Clinton Lake on the bike trailplan a hike on foot ( 5-6 miles round trip with lots of water)Volunteer to help an older senior neighbor with yard workSchedule art project classes at the Art Centergrocery shop for Mom and Dadpart time jobplant an organic food gardenplay kick ball school groundstake up roller blade hockeyKU Natural History Museum board game party in a home4H projects – even for city slickers a wide variety*Prairie Park Nature CenterAbove are 17 days of stuff to do. If you have afternoon parties at in homes don't forget the music. These activities are necessarily "thinking outside the box" which is to say get on with it.Be constructive, Creative and Enjoy yourselves!