Archive for Thursday, January 15, 2009

School district, LHS neighbors settle lawsuit

A months-long battle concluded Thursday, as the Lawrence school board and plaintiffs representing the Centennial Neighborhood Association came to a settlement agreement regarding the new athletic fields at Lawrence High School.

January 15, 2009, 6:26 p.m. Updated January 16, 2009, 9:53 a.m.

Settlement terms

Construction

• At the Lawrence High School stadium, the press box will be built on the east side away from houses, and a retaining wall on the west side must be at least 87 feet from the school’s property line.

• Neighbors will have input on the landscaping installed west of the stadium.

• The new LHS softball field must have dugouts at least 65 feet from the property line.

• Lights on the new fields must be limited to how they shine into the neighborhoods.

Use

• The district will not allow Lawrence Parks and Recreation to use any new fields at LHS except for the new tennis courts.

• Any sound system at a new LHS field cannot be used after 10 p.m., unless there are extenuating circumstances, like a weather delay or extra innings.

• Except for the tennis courts, the district cannot allow a third party to use lights or the sound system.

Related document

School Fields Settlement Agreement ( .PDF )

It took about three months to negotiate.

Instead of a legal battle that might have lasted for years, the Lawrence school district and neighbors reached an agreement Thursday to allow construction of new athletic fields and a football stadium near Lawrence High School.

“I think everyone was mindful of the fact that we were trying to do this for the betterment of the students at our high schools, and I think both sides worked very hard to get that done,” said Craig Grant, school board president.

Several members of the Centennial Neighborhood Association sued the school district and city in November, alleging the boards illegally approved the project. They objected to the size of the stadium near LHS and several other sports fields near their properties.

“My clients are pleased, and there have been substantial modifications to the original plan addressing many of their concerns,” said Ronald Schneider, an attorney representing the neighbors.

Board members unanimously approved the settlement — which does not involve money — during a special meeting Thursday night after they met for 30 minutes with their attorneys, Pete Curran and Brad Finkeldei.

Last year, the board had approved financing for what would amount to a $12 million construction project to add and improve several athletic fields with artificial turf at both high schools, including adding bleachers for football stadiums on the campuses to avoid renting Haskell Stadium.

Board members had said it was a safety issue to keep students from having to leave campus for practices and to create equity between the two high schools. Several neighbors last year objected at lively Planning Commission, City Commission and school board meetings.

After the lawsuit was filed, however, both sides worked hard to reach an agreement. The school district made concessions on the construction and limiting the use of the new LHS fields and stadium.

Grant said he hoped LHS could play some football games on campus this fall, depending on the construction timeline.

For example, the district can only allow Lawrence Parks and Recreation to use the new tennis courts to be built near the former Centennial School instead of any new fields.

“As our plans have progressed, we have found additional ways to further accommodate the neighbors without affecting our ability to further improve the LHS campus and infrastructure,” Superintendent Randy Weseman said. “We are pleased to have found a way to proceed cooperatively with the neighbors of these schools.”

Schneider, who negotiated for the neighbors with attorneys Ed Collister and Adam Hall, said once the suit was filed, negotiations became productive.

“This proceeded well, and I must attribute it to both counsel on the other side and Randy Weseman in particular,” Schneider said. “My clients also deserve credit.”

The settlement also dismisses the suit against the city, Schneider said.

The neighbors will also have further input in some landscaping plans and traffic discussions.

Comments

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

What no private wildlife reserve for Sven to walk his dog? What a bunch of Repubiliturds BASTARDS!

tolawdjk 5 years, 11 months ago

NSG> There really is something to be said for brevity. Once is sharp, twice can be ammusing. You are boarding on Obsession.

kusp8 5 years, 11 months ago

Recently I attended a tarot card reading seminar so I'm going to look into the card and see what they tell me.It looks like this settlement will suffice just long enough for the people who are the major complainers to move and then the district will forget all about the settlement.But I'm not sure how accurate tarot cards are, after all Ms. Cleo was put in jail and clearly didn't see that coming, oh well...

J2od 5 years, 11 months ago

Considering that "beobachter" was part of the name of the Nazi Party's newspaper, it makes absolute sense that THIS beobachter would be the sort to spread lies and propaganda while simultaneously bullying people with snide insults. Of course, he also has the safety of the veil provided by the internet. I have absolutely no doubt that beobachter is intelligent in some circles, but you need only look at his comments (there are plenty, I assure you) to gather the trend with which he delivers his "thoughts".Let me be frank: I make this comment only to encourage beobachter to cease his inane and subjective ridicule. He seems very knowledgeable of the matters at hand, yet his comments draw away from what could possibly be construed as some semblance of intelligence.Let me also say, I have nothing to add to this particular article; I merely thought somebody should hold this poor, foolish person accountable for his lack of insight and credibility.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

yeah,Not-So-Greek, you didn't do anything to resolve this! you're a bad bad boy! tonight's newscast says the neighbors "will have input" on traffic and landscape. the neighbors didn't want lawrence parks and rec to have access to the lhs stadium. that's pathetic. the neighbors did win on keeping a greater distance from the boundaryline, which made sense to me, given the zoning/laws. but though this suit had a minuscule bit of validity, it doesn't change the fact that Sven/ariadne/coaltrain/spiderman/spammerman/spiderham's posting behavior has been outrageous! and even tonight he won't admit that all his issues regarding birds, turf, lights, natural buffer, etc., etc., etc., have all been mere ploys only meaningful as amunition without any real care about them.

Freestater456 5 years, 11 months ago

did anyone take the time to actually read NSG's posts cause I figured out after the first two that it was a waste of time

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

I have to admit, I don't really know much about this (even though I live just a few blocks from the location). However, I grew up in Wichita, and we had high schools with 1600-2000 per. Our high school didn't have anything but a practice field, and our "home field" was a high school on the other side of town (further than the distance across Lawrence). So... I don't get it. Why does Lawrence "need" this facility? A couple of years ago LHS was cutting music programs due to a lack of funds. I'm guessing you could buy a lot of tubas for the cost of this project, so I'm a little confused about "why".

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Ariadne, here's a couple of responses...I believe that Deerfield and Hillcrest footprints are adjacent to homes. Yes, there are some open spaces, but I know that at Deerfield, it's hard to tell where school property ends and the homes begin.I agree with you that the School Board should have done a better job of engaging the community. At a minimum, they should have done a better job of documenting what efforts they did. I thought that a lot of the community's fears could have been resolved with better communication and responsiveness. That would have been so simple. Oh, well...I disagree with you regarding "exclusive" athletics. For years, some sports like soccer and tennis take everyone who tries out. The only cuts occur when students quit. Baseball, softball and basketball can be more exclusive, but that's caused by limited positions. Sports like volleyball have much bigger sophomore and JV squads than varsity. I've seen that as a natural progression since you don't have a Varsity "B" squad.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Worth repeating:“15 July 2008 at 9:09 a.m.spiderman (Anonymous) says……i am withdrawing from the forum…”That lasted for about a day, didn't it?

TacoBob 5 years, 11 months ago

"Neighbors will have input on the landscaping installed west of the stadium."UGH! This thing will never end, with 'certain' posters here wrangling over the 'input' and how they are not being listened to. The materials will be wrong, such as the wrong types of mulch and too little manure!Just get this thing done and stop the yapping.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't believe that there will the "backlash" against those elected individuals who supported this plan. I believe that those in opposition have greatly exagerated their significance.If the lawsuit had merit, the resolution doesn't validate that conclusion. Concessions were made, but that didn't stop the project.The first home soccer game on the football field will still be on April 7, 2009, (LHS v. FS) and the first football game on the field will be on September 4, 2009, at 7:00 PM (LHS v. SM North).That's the bottom line.

jafs 5 years, 11 months ago

I believe a significant amount of money that was spent on this project was originally a bond approved for other uses.That seems completely wrong to me, regardless of where one stands on the sports thing.If I vote "yes" for a school bond, I expect it to be used for what it was intended for, not diverted to other uses. Otherwise the point of voting on them is a bit watered down.

Poon 5 years, 11 months ago

Is the new stadium going to have a track?If so, they should take out the track so they can lower the field and add seven rows of seats.They could enclose the end of the stadium even though it would block off the view of the hill.The stadium must have a huge video board so LHS can match Pitt State in the video board war.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Everyone at the high schools are encouraged to participate in sports, dumbnut. It's not for the elitest, believe me.

redmoonrising 5 years, 11 months ago

We are talking athletic fields here. These are in turn are connected to schools. And after reading some of the juevenile comments here, it seems that some posters need to go back to school or grow up. It's not that I approve of all the money being spent on the fields. Nor do I approve of frivolous lawsuits that waste taxpayer dollars. Heaven knows we have had a few of those in conjunction with another long standing project. Be it athletci fields or new roads, not everyone is going to be happy. If you are affected directly, I don't question your right to protest, even sue, but give it a break people. This town is all about the self-serving few trying to dictate their wants and needs onto the whole taxpaying populace of Lawrence. Time is not standing still here. Lawrence is growing, changing and it will continue to do so. Everyone sticking their tongues out at each other doesn't seem like a viable way to handle this change and growth.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

"no soundsystem after 10pm" - that agreement was easy to reach because football games are usually done by then. "press box on the east side" - this is kind of dumb for both sides to agree to. The people who are calling the games will be looking into the sun for a while, but I don't think it's going to make a difference which way the sound comes from. Maybe it's a "pretty" thing. "won't let the city use the facilities" - does that mean neighbors won't be able to use the track? Wish it did, but I know it means parks and rec won't be able to use any of the new fields at all. that is kind of dumb, since some of their own kids and grandkids might get the chance to use it. "make sure lights don't shine on the neighbors" - now would they really shine on the neighbors so much since they are supposed to light up the field? I can hear it now - "hey coach, I can't see the ball. Sorry, kid, can't shine the light that way because it keeps grump neighbor up who goes to bed at 8 pm." But it does seem like what the school district gave in to wasn't going to make much difference anyway.

Beelzebub 5 years, 11 months ago

Well....I just saw and ad on craigslist....Community activist for hire...licensed in six states...special discounts for elderly and "curious"...will work for food. Didn't I see this guy down on Mass St. the other day soliciting?

monkeyhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

jafs (Anonymous) says…"I believe a significant amount of money that was spent on this project was originally a bond approved for other uses.That seems completely wrong to me, regardless of where one stands on the sports thing.If I vote “yes” for a school bond, I expect it to be used for what it was intended for, not diverted to other uses. Otherwise the point of voting on them is a bit watered down."jafs, that is the crux of the matter. That is why taxpayers should have absolutely no faith or trust in their leaders. I voted no because it did not smell right. Now we see that the taxpayers were completely misled, maybe robbed would be a better word for it. Why more people are not incensed about this bait and switch is the real dilemma, not the idiot architect. But, I guess since it is for the children, the thieves get a pass, again.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 11 months ago

I can't understand why anyone would sue a school over this or why they would move next door to a high school and act like they hate kids.But I see it everyday. I am sorry for those who were duped into supporting this man's irresponsible behavior.I have children in this school. It is a great school. I am proud of the people who work there and hope they are proud of themselves and the great work they do.

Beelzebub 5 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm...seems there are many people who are knowlegeable on "this topic"

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Hepburn - Do you think the track at LHS will be done before track season begins in March?

trigger 5 years, 11 months ago

Finally the voice of sanity. Good point 99. Ignore Ariadne whatever - the guy is obviously a mess.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

You will notice what local architect posted yet once again an article about another architect in an pretty obvious attempt to slur his competition.

RuralKsGirl 5 years, 11 months ago

You can all throw pebbles at whomever you want and disagree until the cows come home, but I, for one, am thrilled that both high schools are getting their own facilitites. Someone suggested centralized facilities that both schools could use. Good suggestion, as well. Either option would have been better than the facilities the schools had been using (Haskell, back in the early 90's, was in desperate need of updating. I can only imagine how much worse it got throughout the years.) As a Lawrence High grad, I can tell you it was a pain in the arse to load up sports/band/etc. equipment and haul it to Haskell, and I can imagine the haul was much more inconvenient for Free State.How wonderful that both schools can be on their ACTUAL home turf! As for the neighbors, I don't know what to say other than this... schools change, they add on, they re-build. I don't believe it was a "win" for Centennial. And I don't believe it was a "win" for the School Board. Both sides had to make sacrifices and negotiate, and neither side came out with exactly what they originally wanted. I'm glad they were able to come to an agreement.Looking forward to the first Lions HOME football game!!!

mightyquin 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree ruralksgirl, I am just glad this can be put behind us and they can get to work on the facilities. Neither side got exactly what they wanted but such is the nature of negotiations. You give a little, you get a little. As long as there is the understanding that you can't get everything you want things should work out for the best.As for ariadne and the not so greek, they need to go somewhere and just duke it out. I am tired or reading the crap they both post.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… Solicitng funds to pay attorneys even while settlement talks are ongoing is quite legal, so put it in a bowl.-----------------------------------------------------------------------Legal? Maybe. Ethical? Not at all.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

I trustgirfriend forbothlegalandbusinessadvice.Not.

CarterFaucheaux 5 years, 11 months ago

i'd like to offer a big "F you" to the centennial neighborhood association

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

interesting:Ariadne and Marion are resorting to the same strategy in an attempt to diminish their opposition; counting posts. Ravens and 'Bub have plenty on point, where 90% of Ariadne's posts are vapid repostings of the same stuff, or reposting other people's stuff! if 'Bub posted more about his personal experience with Ariadne I don't think Ariadne/spiderman/spiderham/spammerman/cool/coaltrain would like it! but, I strongly encourage 'Bub to give his first-hand experience with Sven on this board! maybe some of his neighbors don't know some of those things about him. and, no, NSG isn't Ariadne/sven/environ-mental-architect/spammerman/cool/coaltrain. the two most ignorant and irritating posters on LJWorld make common cause, interesting: Ariadne and Marion. that by itself speaks volumes.
finally, note in the agreement no money changes hands. were Ariadne and the "plaintiffs" trying to milk the system? very telling!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

"Marion (Marion Lynn) says…If legal bills are outstanding, it is always ethical and legal to solicit for donations to pay the bills you idiots."Isthathowyou've dealt withyourfailedbusinessventures?Soliciting?

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Sorry Marion, Centenial neighbors are delusional if they think they "won". Before I read this blog, I actually found your "victory" hollow. I found it especially so in light of all the evils the detractors dragged up to attack the plan.Don't hold your breath on the school district stepping over the line. There's no reason for them to do so. I understand that the football and baseball fields are projected to be completed by March 1 at both schools. Soccer fields by April 15. Softball will be a longer project. Lights will not be installed until the fall at those fields presently without lights.I spoke with an AD from Shawnee Mission tonight. He commented that he was surprised that the uproar was about LHS instead of Free State. He felt that the "community" around LHS would have been joyous with placement of the fields on campus. He was surprised that wasn't the case. I explained to him that Lawrencians don't seem to think like normal people.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

once again, I think for the fourth or fifth time, Ariadne calls me a "wingnut" or "wingut." no evidence to support it, though I've asked him. no response to my points. if I'm the wingnut/wingut, how come you're the one who's gone through several screen names for violation of the LJWorld's Terms of Service? apparently, I'm the one keeping it between the ditches. what have the kids at LHS learned from Sven Erik Alstrom's behavior? why should he and his cabal keep the facilities at LHS off-limits to lawrence parks and rec, so average people could use the track, field, etc.? who elected them? Ariadne/spiderman/cool/coaltrain/environ-mental-architect won't answer these points, I bet!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

after 55 years the school district is intalling an engineered drainage system instead of flooding our homes……hopefully that is.---oh, this from Mr. Spellcheck! remember Zeppelin/Zeppalin Ariadne?and, won't there be a Zeppelin mooring mast raised up from the Oread Inn.questions Ariadne hasn't answered:did you have a hand in some of the "construction accidents" and flooding of the Oread Inn building site?Can you account for your whereabouts at those times? Aren't you capable of that?Ariadne, if your behavior on these boards were more reasonable and rational, I wouldn't be posting on this topic. so, instead of calling me a "wingnut" or "wingut" again, look in the mirror if you want to know why I "popped up." it is not mere coincidence that I am here. and, again, anyone recieving PM's of harrassment from Ariadne should forward them to admin of this site right away: Jonathan Kealing or David Ryan.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Ariadne...as I indicated in my response to your "private" email, which I thought was only that and not a reprint of what was stated here, the Athletic Director to whom I refer is a decent, "non-jock" type who has gotten out of coaching so that he can have more time with his own kids. His perception of Lawrence "school politics" is that of an outsider, albeit one with a prejudice, but with eyes open to more than his own adgenda. His comments were to explain how this issue is viewed by those outside our city limits. No, I don't suspect that he lives next to his high school nor does he have a stadium in or near his backyard. After all of this brohaha, we are reminded that you and the Centenial neighbor has such, with lights and high school games scheduled starting at least by April 7. For what it's worth, the Centenial neighborhood has abdicated protection of student safety and health by abandoning the crusade against the evils of athletic turf. And too, Centenial abandoned the fight against the harm of traffic congestion and parking, among other issues now moot that we have heard much about.Were these just arguments against or true beliefs about harm and injury? If true beliefs, then why are you not still fighting?

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) says…Ariadne, how do you withstand all the insults on you? I feel rather protective regarding you too.~~~~~~~~~~~~Interesting. But ariadne's verbally abusive behavior to others on here posting their opinions is a-ok in your book?It is perfectly fine for him to insult, call names and send verbally abusive emails to others on this forum who don't agree with him.It is perfectly fine for him to solicit funds for his lawsuit on a public forum even though he knew a settlement was in the works and was not disclosing that info to potential donors.It is perfectly fine for him to claim to be someone other than himself (for example, claiming to be Roger Pine) on this forum but no one can call him on it.You've got an odd set of standards..

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) says…And Katara, you want to start insulting me now? Getting personal and showing us what poor metal you may be made of? Or will you choose the high and golden road?~~~~~~~~~~~~What is insulting about questioning your standards or making simple observations about them?What is personal about commenting on something you chose to say on a public forum?And your comment to me that your standards are not bought and sold, is not implying that mine somehow are? Is that not insulting or personal? And the remarks about denied alcoholism, who are those supposed to be directed to? Seems to me that would be getting personal and insulting on your part. And then your comments to others...calling beobachter anti-american...implying that Ravens has a psychological maladjustment...?I'm by no means a religious person but shouldn't you be concerned with the log in your eye first?You condone ariadne's abusive behavior but condemn others when they call him on it. BTW, I haven't insulted you. I have made simple observations about your posts on this thread. I'm sorry that you find pointing out that your posts are not consistent with the standards you are setting insulting.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says…Dear Katara,hopefully as i said - University Place neighborhood will have the final word in the City Commission & School Board boondoggle known as the 'practice fields' at LHS & CVS.in the beginning of the approval process of neighborhood meetings Bracciano told the assembled Centennial crowd that these were just 'practice fields'.so the whole thing stinks - lies & deception by Weseman's administration to the neighbors from day 1.later it became a 4000 seat stadium, then 90 ft light poles near the Cornerstone church, then artificial turf that costs about $500,000 per each field and requires replacement (after expensive maintenance) every 8 t 12 years, all while having inadequate parking.i hope University Place gets the ACLU involved in civil rights violatiions of the City Commission standing the development code on its head for these projects and not protecting 'fee simple' homeowner's and their rights of quiet enjoyment according to the zoning code & Kansas law.~~~~~~~~~~~~So basically what I'm reading here is that your plan is to peck the school district to death by incessant demands for this and that. You'll continually waste tax payer money that is intended for our children's education on frivolous lawsuits in an attempt to bully your way through.I might remind you to that since you are not a property owner in Lawrence that it is not your money you are spending but my and my children's money.Your civil rights have not been violated. The "right" to quiet enjoyment is not a civil right. It isn't even a true property right. The ACLU will not get involved with this, especially if they ever read anything you post. You'll end up sabotaging any type of work they would do by shooting your mouth off as you frequently doFirst it was about drainage, then it was about parking then it was about a natural buffer (of which you said in a city council meeting that it was a fantasy that trees would provide that) then it was about parking again. I'm sure there are other issues that you will claim is the #1 reason for your actions. This is why very few take you seriously.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

This issue has gone ballisti and inane.Ariadne, you criticize my comments from a Johnson County high school AD because he is biased. I acknowledged such. He's got an out-of-county perception of Lawrence. He was at the meeting when LHS and Free State stadiums were under scrutiny. And neither I nor he live near a proposed high school stadium.I acknowledge that he's different from you and your neighbors. He just has an opinion that the controversey would not be at LHS, but at Free State. I find that interesting and commented on it.I also believe that your perception of a local outcry against city and school board commissioners is greatly exagerated. I certainly can be wrong, but I think most people won't consider this as a significant issue in the voting decision. Besides, there has to be someone running for the school board, which just isn't happening at this time.Then I commented that after all this is over with, we all realize that you and the Centenial neighbor are going to be living with stadiums built on Lawrence High campus Much of the commentary on these blogs has been about drainage, lights, noise, trash, parking, traffic and athletic turf dangers. I think the drainage issue has been resolved. The issue regarding lights has been settled by the agreement. Noise has been taken care of in much the same way. As for trash, that will take experience to tell us if that is resolved. Parking has some plans for resolution, but only usage will tell if that is or is not a problem. Traffic plans were often called into question, but we really don't know what will happen. Finally, the turf was called dangerous, but it is now going into the stadiums. Budetary and financing issues were called into question, but have disappeared.With the agreement, those issues not identified have been satisfied or abandoned. I guess the salient topics of conern for the neighborhood were to deny City usage of the stadiums for Parks & Recreation programs, an increased distance from property boundaries, no after 10:00 PM out-door activities, and appropriate attention to lighting and PA systems. All of those are fairly reasonable concessions and demands by the parties.My question is whether those issues not covered by the agreement were real or were they simply arguments? If they are significant, why did they disappear? Were they only "talking points" for the crusade against the project? I find it unfortunate that if serious, they no longer exist. I do not accept the argument that it is now the responsibility of the school board or city.Finally, don't you ever lump me in with those you declare as "wingnuts"! My comments have and remain without personal attacks. They will remain such regardless of your's and other's accusations. I recognize your personal investment in the opposition. I have also read your and others written "broadsides". I don't do that; I won't do that; don't do that to me!

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) says…Generally these are the rules. Can you all follow them?Keep it clean.Stay on topic.Be honest and accurate.No personal attacks. Don't bash anyone based on their race, creed, heritage, or orientation.Don't say anything here you wouldn't say in front of your mother at the dinner table.Use the 'Report Abuse' button when you spot a rule violation. (Don't report comments just because you disagree.)Let's find out.~~~~~~~~~~~~~So under those rules, what do you think this comment of yours is?notnowdear (Anonymous) says…Ariadne, Don't pick on her. She is not my mental match. Have mercyor maybe this comment of yours?notnowdear (Anonymous) says…beobacher, your actions and thoughts are anti-American.or perhaps this comment of yours?notnowdear (Anonymous) says…And Raven, what is it within you that needs to ridicule someone? A psychological maladjustment of some sort?And why do you excuse ariadne's abusive behavior on this board but condemn others for calling him on it? And then why do you turn around and engage in behavior that you condemn? I'm honestly interested in your answer.As to sticking to topic, ariadne as a non-property owner in Lawrence, KS has absolutely no right to act as spokesperson for his farce of a lawsuit that wasted not only taxpayer money (of which he does not pay here) but school district time that can be much better utilized.He has solicited donations for his lawsuit without disclosing that there was a settlement in the works (and continues to solicit financial support for another lawsuit which takes more taxpayer money away from things such as more microscopes, better textbooks, etc). I don't know if this is illegal but it sure as hell is unethical. Do you really want to pair up with someone who cannot be honest and upfront about what he is trying to do?Do you understand that ariadne has no motivation whatsoever to improve our schools? Lawrence is not his official residence. He has no children attending the school district. He does not even own the property he lives in & therefore does not pay the property mill that helps fund our school district.He wants the school district to put in a drainage system that meets his standards. He wants a natural buffer of quite a proportion between his property & and the fields. He wants additional parking spaces. He wants. He wants. He wants.Cont'd

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

Cont'dBut he makes no contributions and is abusive to that disagree with him. There are many (including myself) have presented their opinion only to be called names, ridiculed by and generally mistreated by ariadne. He even goes to the point to email you verbally abusive rants. If you don't believe me, you can see the post by Hepburn. Hepburn has not only stick completely to the topic but asked very good questions. What did he/she get in return? Verbal abuse from ariadne.Have you even read his posting history? Are you even aware that he has been bounced off this forum numerous times because of his abusive behavior?I don't know who pissed in your cheerios today but generally I have read your posts and enjoyed them on many topics. You claim I've insulted you and I challenge you to prove it. Post any insult I have slung at you here.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… it's doubtful that fire trucks will be able to negotiate some of the small streets with crowded parking - so we all askourselves why did this recent City Commission 'rubber stamp' these school district plans which clearly had giantholes in them?~~~~~~~~~~~What was your position on all the roundabouts built? If I recall correctly (Sorry, I don't recall which username you were at the time), you were all in favor of traffic calming devices...most of which are very notorious for causing difficulties for fire engines' access to the residence(s) in need of their services.And now you are "concerned" about fire engine access on smaller streets due to parking issues?So it is okay if it does not directly affect you but if it could directly affect you, then you feel the need for outcry. How neighborly.You simply do not have any altruistic motives in this issue. Please do not present them as such. It is incredibly misleading and incredibly dishonest.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion:You say that there will be "No night games, for starters." I dare say that you're wrong on that issue.There will be LHS football, softball, baseball, soccer and potentially track meets under lights on campus. It sounds like games won't go beyond 10:00 PM, unless there was a weather delay or for extended play (overtime or extra innings). There won't be any City Parks & Recreation activities on site. However, it appears that 3rd party entities not associated with the City, can utilize the facilities without lights. I guess that means such activities as DCABA, traveling softball teams and premier soccer tournaments. Free State will be available for all of this plus City Parks & Rec functions.How does that mean "no night games"?And how does this mean "the fact that a group of ordinary citizens brought government to its knees and forced a settlement." That reminds me of a suggested strategy for the Vietnam War was to simply declare victory and come home. If the citizens brought government to its knees, then why are some still complaining about a " 310 ft. long 25 ft. high…” structure being built, parking spaces and traffic congestion? That doesn't really sound like government took a pounding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

budwhysir 5 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like a possible budget cut to me. Legal battles are expensive and we have just lost several funding options. Soon as the school district buys the T we will have additional funding in our city budget to give back to schools. Or we could give more to the schools and let our city budget suffer. HMMM the double sided coin trick again. How ever it got us thinking

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion:I've read the agreement several times and the only references to lights are in Section II. A. paragraphs 6, 8, 9 and Section II. B. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. There are no references to "no night games". Specifically, there are prohibitions for usage after 10:00 PM, except for weather or injury delays or things like extra innings. With games starting at 7:00 PM, they're going to be over before that becomes a factor.Let's take, for instance, the first soccer game at LHS on April 7 versus Free State which will be played in the football stadium. Using the coordinates of 38'56" North and 95'14" which is roughly Lawrence, sunrise is at 6:56 AM (CDT) and 7:51 (CDT). With a game start time of 7:00 PM, the lights will be on in the first half and remain on until the end of the 2nd half which will occur at approximately 8:45 PM. Giving time for the crowd to depart, the lights could be off by 9:15 PM, but clearly, without a doubt in the dark. Seems like that is defined as a "night game."

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion:Please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation of the agreement. It would be great if you would direct all of us to the agreement section which prohibits night high school games. I can't find where the "King's Good English" says that or any interpretation which supports your claims.Having read the agreement, there isn't anything that makes me weap.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Ariadne,you are so obviously a fool. you raised the firetruck issue and narrow streets. then, when Katara raises the narrow streets issue and your support of roundabouts/traffic circles, you just dismiss it; evidence that you were caught in a huge hypocrisy. ariadne(Anonymous) says…well - notnowdear - for starters NSG is simply a nutcase.he has been kicked off of the forum as IGW 'it's getting warmer' and as 'svengalli' and perhaps other screen names as well.this from Ariadne/cool/spiderman/coaltrain, and perhaps two or more other names...hypocrisy, again?
today is the first I've seen Sven bring up University Place, and his agitating for them to file now. if Sven signed as one of the plaintiffs, then he didn't sign in good faith if he is now trying to push University Place to file! I object because this is not good for kids at LHS, this is a waste of time. I have also recieved Ariadne's harrassing e-mails on other previous topics. it speaks volumes for Notnowdear's lack of character that he/she would team up with Sven/Ariadne/Cool/Coaltrain ...so, Ariadne, you and your low life friends think that kind of destructive vandalism that hurt people and threatened the safety of workers at the site and residents of the area is a funny joking matter, by your own admission. thanks. that's very informative. I'm glad you finally denied that you had a hand in the actual vandalism, but it has taken three or four prompts to get you there, making your statement suspect, especially given your other forum behavior.
and finally, Ariadne/Sven, you're certainly not acting as if you'd won. not at all. reading the sense of your posts suggests that you think you lost in this settlement. I just hope the University Place NA is smarter than to follow you into the abyss.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

though I have disagreed with Katara on some topics, I have always found her to be a quite reasonable and respectful poster. ***Sven/spiderman/cool/coaltrain/ariadne has sometimes criticized others' spelling errors, as though it indicated some weakness in their arguments. in reading his comments today I found several of his own. perhaps a dozen. including: "communtiy" and "traffice" and an extra "r" in "hydrant." sure doesn't seem to have signed in good faith, and doesn't seem to feel he's won in this settlement.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says…Katara,ding ding, ding ding, roundabouts are not the topic.~~~~~~~~~~~~~They are relevant to your justifications about parking & traffic.You supported roundabouts even though they have known difficulties allowing emergency vehicle access to residences in need and now emergency vehicle access because of parking on the streets is an issue? Where would you when the roundabouts were being approved?Or is that just a case trying to justify NIMBY on your part?

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says…though I have disagreed with Katara on some topics, I have always found her to be a quite reasonable and respectful poster.~~~~~~~~Thank you, bearded_gnome. I have to return the compliment because you have been nothing but respectful to me when we have disagreed (and I think it has been a lot!) ;)I do get so tired of those who always want to play the victim. It is the same old thing - the person cries foul and then turns around and actively participates in the same behavior themselves. As if it lends some credibility or legitimacy to their points...

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says…Katara you left out University Place opposition and the ACLU.~~~~~~~~~~~Care to provide any proof whatsoever that the ACLU would even remotely show interest in your lawsuit?Are you attempting to imply that the ACLU is involved in a lawsuit? Because I think I'm not the only who would have to see some proof for that too.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Thank you, bearded_gnome. I have to return the compliment because you have been nothing but respectful to me when we have disagreed (and I think it hasbeen a lot!) ;)---thank you, you're welcome, and yes...in that order. I do get so tired of those who always want to play the victim. It is the same old thing - the person cries foul and then turns around and actively participatesin the same behavior themselves.---oh oh, watch it [smile] you're starting to sound a lot like Ann Coulter in her latest book! agreed. and more generally, Ariadne's behavior under five or more screen names has been atrocious! that's the main reason I'm here, besides I'm a lawrence resident and don't want to see our LHS kids and schoolboard dragged around by the nose.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

I really would like Marion to show us where he specifically read that there would be no "night games". We all know that there won't be a starting time of 2 AM anytime soon. But, there's nothing n the agreement that says a 7:00 PM football, baseball, soccer or softball won't be played. Last time I checked, most rationale people consider a 7:00 PM game start time as being a "night game".I would hope that Marion realizes that his credibility will suffer if he fails to either correct our intepretation or acknowledge an error that's been magnified by arrogance and hubris.I would really, really like to know how I'm wrong about the agreement since I've had conversations with counsel for both sides this week that confirm my interpretation.Could it be that Marion got the pdf with invisible ink that tells him what really is the understand of the parties?

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

"I would hope that Marion realizes that his credibility will suffer if he fails. . ." * * Hepburn doesn't understand that ship sailed out of the harbor years ago.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

At least girlfriend hasn't started raving about dogs on this thread, yet.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… again, the forum 'doesn't want to know your opinion' on this trust me.~~~~~~I don't think you have the right to speak for the forum. Who appointed you the spokesperson for it? Your assumption that you are a person of authority on this forum is much like your assumption that you are a person of authority regarding this lawsuit/now settlement.Neither assumption has much merit.

headdoctor 5 years, 11 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) says… Well, drugs were pretty accessible out there even when I went to HS. But put the kid on a farm and they are a lot less likely to use them.-------------------------------------------------------The area I grew up in, the farm kids were the ones with the drugs and booze because they had more money from working to buy it than the town kids had.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) says…Again, I will be taking my children to W. Kansas for their high school education, where they don't have to pay $500 to play high school sports and where the competition is a bit slimmer, and where gangs are not as prominent and drugs to easily accessible.Well, drugs were pretty accessible out there even when I went to HS. But put the kid on a farm and they are a lot less likely to use them.Farm living is far superior to city living these days.~~~~~~~~~~~~I hate to burst your bubble but there are several problems with your comments here.1. School may seem to be less expensive in rural communities but it is because the cost of living is lower and the opportunities for earning income in said rural communities are fewer.2. You may find that competition is slimmer but you can be guaranteed that it will be more intense due to the lower number of available opponents. 3. It is a myth that rural youth engage in less destructive behaviors than their city counterparts."Past year illicit drug use is generally similar among adolescents in rural, urbanized nonmetropolitan, and metropolitan counties, except that Ecstasy use is higher among youth in metropolitan and urbanized nonmetropolitan counties than rural counties, while rural youth have a higher prevalence of stimulant and methamphetamine use than metropolitan youth."and "This study dispels the notion that substance abuse is only an urban problem and provides information useful in developing and implementing interventions that consider the unique characteristics of rural residents."http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118541345/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… University Place could file a separate lawsuit and homeowners north of 19th could join in since thiscurrent settlement did not include them.University Place will experience the parking & traffice problems that the City Commission waived by not enforcing the amount of required parking by the development code. UP shoud file a suit against the city and USD 497, since both parties did not adhere to the intent of the Special Use Permit approval process.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~So you are going to continue to encourage a select small group of people to waste our tax dollars and school resources, none of which are yours as you do not pay property taxes here in Lawrence nor do you have any children that attend this district.Your willingness to take away resources from the children that attend USD497 in order to force your way and will upon those in authority is incredibly distasteful and dishonorable.

headdoctor 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… Centennial is for the most part happy with the settlement.That the current City Commission endorsed completely sidestepping the code requirements for stadium parking & traffic studies remains and issue. vote accordingly.---------------------------------------------------It seems you do not understand that variances from city code is a tool since all rules can not be inclusive. That is why people or companies apply for variances when they need to do something that the code doesn't allow for. In this case it was more practical to work with school plans.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

It is asked..."why do you think USD 497 settled? because Centennial had a good chance at winning the lawsuit."I think that's an assumption that's open for dispute. I would agree with "not so greek" of declaring "Mission Accomplished". It is like the solution to Vietnam; declare victory and return home.After re-reading and re-reading the agreement, the School Board gave up nothing more than any reasonable person or neighbor would want. To the fault of all the parties, this was something that should have been negotiated in advance instead of doing it post initiation of litigation.Time limitations on normal events seem reasonable. Prohibition of City sports on the property eliminates programing and use problems LHS doesn't now have to worry about. And, 3rd parties can use the property, but not the PA or lights. OK, is that a problem for anyone? No. Put the stadium 87 feet away from the property line. That seems reasonable. Are there any restictions on the number of high school games? No. Landscaping? Shouldn't be a problem. No one wants to go to a high school game that starts at 8:00 PM, so playing past 10:00 PM isn't a liklihood except in adverse weather conditions, injury delays or extended time - extra innings or overtime.And contrary to Marion's interpretation, there appears to be absolutely no prohibition to "night games" as presently anticipated by the school.But, if Ariadne and the neighborhood are satisfied with the settlement, so be it. The lawsuit is done. Shake hands, everyone go home and contiue with the contruction...football field for girls soccer versus Free State on April 7 and football on September 4, 2009, at 7:00 PM versus SM North.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

Ariadne, please stop copying & pasting the same letters over and over. It clogs the forum. Just post the link if you feel it is necessary to have the letters in your post.It is amazing that someone who has complained about the lack of forum courtesy is so willing to violate basic forum etiquette about repetitive copy & pastes.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't understand why Ariadne is continuing his attack on the proposal when according to his statement, he and the Centennial community prevailed. If he objected to the financing, the traffic and other issues, why weren't these motivation to maintain the lawsuit? I'm beginning to get the feeling that some commentators will never, ever be satisfied. They will continue to deny reality.I, too, am tired of seeing retread letters to the editor. If original thought is too difficult, then maybe it isn't necessary to say.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess it is time to be quiet and await the results of construction.But, i would still like to hear from Marion about why there are no night games, in his opinion.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Ariadne/cool/spiderman/coaltrain again fails to respond to valid points raised. his statement implies that I am right and he knows it, wishes to brush it under the carpet:he signed with the other plaintiffs but not in good faith. my suspicion is that I have a better grasp on this concept than he does. he acts as if I am ignorant on this topic, but he doesn't know who I am...for all he knows, I might be the real Roger Pine! also, he completely sidesteps his hypocrisy on narrow streets and firetruck access. thanks Katara,I think the general reaction to Ariadne setting himself up as if he were an authority is laughter. he's claimed to be an expert on:turf; ravens; posting; screen names (he's had so many); posting etiquette (which he violates); streets; lights; sound; drainage; natural buffers (first, they wouldn't work, but nowadays he says they do work); "winguts" whatever that is; and an expert on the law. I will repeat, Ariadne wasn't talking about University Place filing or bringing in the ACLU (LMAO) until he and the plaintiffs "settled" this suit. he's trying to claim that the school district folded; doesn't look like it. and he's obviously not signed in good faith. signing without good faith has certain consequences, serious ones. can abrogate the agreement. judge can order penalties, etc.
Ariadne/spiderman/cool/coaltrain/environ-mental-architect/sven (other names too):how do you think all your plaintiffs and contributors would react if you caused this agreement to be abrogated? **Katara, your research is correct about rural kids. some rural communities have much higher rates of suicide/homicide than the general american populus.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

NSG & BG, blather continued. time to kneel and apologize to the forum buds.funny, just hilarious. this guy ignores my valid points, elsewhere calls me a "wingut." if Mr. Spellcheck means "wingnut," I have challenged him numerous times before: if I am a "wingnut" then what have I posted, ever in my posting history, that was crazy or loony? Ariadne has been unable to name one thing. apparently, Ariadne/cool/sven/coaltrain likes it when people are on their knees. he's trying to do that to the school board. what does he imagine in his mind? he has cast casual slander on a retiring city commissioner on this topic too. yet, her community service covers many years and many settings. what community service does Sven/environ-mental-architect have? why should he be dragging our kids and the board and the city commission around by the nose? looking for UPNA to file sure smells like desperation. but most of all, why is he even allowed to continue to post on here?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

BGrant rant rantanything 'constructive' to say-?that's why you are now a certifed 'wingnut'.oh, this from mr. spellcheck! I've already pointed out that this behavior clearly shows I'm right on and he doesn't wish to address my points. furthermore, he fails to give one bit of evidence as to why I am a "wingut" or "wingnut." what would happen if little Sven's tantrums on here got his neighborhood's agreement with the schoolboard abrogated with penalties? I'll guess some of his neighbors might file suit against him for recovery of legal fees. also worth noting:above, sven/ariadne/cool/coaltrain/spiderman/spammerman/environ-mental-architect posted a completely irrelevant set of stats regarding the subprime default crisis. is this, and his desperation for UPN file suit, signs of his coming unhinged? in answer to Hepburn's perfectly reasonable question about the current aggreement, Ariadne posts irrelevant letters to the editor apparently from other plaintiffs who settled and signed the current agreement. doesn't sound like Sven cares much for the current agreement. signed without good faith, intends to keep beating this dead horse. what are his suit and behavior costing USD497? again I ask, what are the kids of LHS learning from this process in which he drags the board around through litigious extortion?will Ariadne/sven/coaltrain/cool/spiderman again try to sweep these and other questions under the rug by calling me and others "winguts" or "wingnuts?" if his measure is number posts (see above) please refer to my profile, my number of posts, and how long I've kept* this screen name. doesn't fit with "wingut" or "wingnut," does it?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

i vote with Dave Strano & Solidarity, down with Hack.---uh, that would be Dave Strano, well known local anarchist and bizaro protestor. you and he are part of the perminent protestor class in lawrence. you can't accept that Commissioner Sue Hack made a small insignifigant error on a reporting form, yet you ask us to accept some permutated stilted story of why you qualify as a CNA plaintiff when your name doesn't appear on the deed, or the county tax records. hmmm. the people you say who wondered about the Deciphera and Hack's disclosure, these are the little flock of scruffies you belong to, the perminent protestor class in lawrence. some of the same low lifes who think vandalism (see above) is funny, though it was highly destructive and quite potentially injurious. this same little cloud of scruffies ran off the Deciphera deal with the high-paying jobs you claim to be seeking for Lawrence; the deal was initiated when your vest-pocket PLC3 were ruling the commission, too. but now you're proud of running off that potentially very beneficial employer! this is your cohort Ariadne/sven/cool/spiderman/coaltrain/environ-mental-architect; and don't see much of them coming up here to support their bud. even Merrill-cut-and-paste-king-Heckler quit supporting you a long time ago. now, if you want to discuss personal mistakes of the financial nature, Sven what about that tennant of yours, you know you illegally rented out your garage. your neighbors wouldn't approve of that.***now, watch, again Sven erik alstrom won't address one valid point in this post.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… i vote with Dave Strano & Solidarity, down with Hack.~~~~~~~~~~I have it on good authority that Dave Strano would not be happy with your sheningans.Dave and the Solidarity folks actually contribute to the community and do many good things for the community.You don't.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… good night all 'wingnuts' —~~~~~~~~~~You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says…NSGlet's not even bring up wasting taxpayer money when you are talking about duplicate stadiums each with artificial turf.~~~~~~~~So trying to make sure that both schools have equal facilities is a waste of taxpayer money?Interesting.So you are cool with the schools being unequal - the "rich" school gets all the good stuff and forget about LHS?That isn't very supportive of your community.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says… what would happen if little Sven's tantrums on here got his neighborhood's agreement with the schoolboard abrogated with penalties? I'll guess some of his neighbors might file suit against him for recovery of legal fees.~~~~~~~~~That is an excellent point, bearded_gnome. There are penalties for abrogation of an agreement.Ariadne is risking those penalties by his continued agitation of what is a settled matter.His not so subtle encouragement of other groups to sue the district would fall under that. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money! Money that our children need to obtain a decent education and educational facilities.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… as for night games, perhaps we were all just glad to eliminate parks & recreation night games.~~~~~~~~~You care to list any of the Parks and Rec sports programs that play games past 10pm?As someone whose family participates quite a bit in Parks and Rec activities, I have yet to see that happen.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

oh yes Katara, Ariadne is already in some legal jeopardy. and how much you wanna bet the school district's legal counsel is watching this comment thread? ***Katara, this from Wiki. and indeed though I am a conservative in politics, I've only written of conservative conspiracy theories with tongue firmly in cheek. thanks, you're correct and poor Sven has more crow to eat.Wingnut (politics)Wingnut, a term derived from the phrase "right-wing nut," is used inUnited Statespolitics as a political epithet referring to people who hold extremeconservativeorfar rightviews -- especially those who espouse right-wingconspiracy theories.According toNew York TimeslanguagemavenWilliam Safire, "The prevailing put-down of right-wing bloggers is wingnuts; this has recently been countered by the vilification of left-wing partisans who use the Webasmoonbats..."[1]Some right-wing conservatives have adopted the term as a badge of honor, with a group inSouth Dakotacalling itself the SD Wingnuts.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Katara: As someone whose family participates quite a bit in Parks and Rec activities, I have yet to see that happen.you better watch it Katara, he'll call you a "wingut" or "wingnut," too for that! yeah, I wondered about the park and rec "night games too! you know, there's a local blind organization, perhaps they can play touch football in the new stadium at night, without the lights, eh?

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

Yup, bearded_gnome, that is the definition I'm familiar with for "wingnut". It is also why I get such a giggle out of it when he slings it at me because I get accused of being one of the most liberally lefty liberals on this forum all the time. That, too, is incorrect but not really that big of an issue to me.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

yeah, a giggle, about right Katara. indeed, that's why you and I have disagreed, you're out on the left, kinda opposite of "wingnut" and near the "far left fringe" but I don't fit the "wingnut" term because though am conservative, I laugh at conspiracy theories, whether from the dailykos-far-left or from the extreme right wing. ariadne is apparently a very shallow stream without much capacity for reflection or thought.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says…yeah, a giggle, about right Katara. indeed, that's why you and I have disagreed, you're out on the left, kinda opposite of “wingnut” and near the “far left fringe” but I don't fit the “wingnut” term because though am conservative, I laugh at conspiracy theories, whether from the dailykos-far-left or from the extreme right wing.ariadne is apparently a very shallow stream without much capacity for reflection or thought.~~~~~~~~~I do love a good conspiracy theory. They provide so much entertainment! What is funny is that I might be considered liberal on social issues but I'm fairly conservative on fiscal issues. Sometimes those come into conflict though but what can you do? I'm a "shades of gray" kind of person.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says…or maybe it is just a forum of dunces?more from Susan Jacobysomething Solidarity members actually read:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/…~~~~~~~~~~For someone who continually lectures others to stay on topic, you sure have an odd way of following your own advice.I do get a hearty chuckle that you linked to an article that discusses such things as ... "Dumbness, to paraphrase the late senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, has been steadily defined downward for several decades, by a combination of heretofore irresistible forces. These include the triumph of video culture over print culture (and by video, I mean every form of digital media, as well as older electronic ones); a disjunction between Americans' rising level of formal education and their shaky grasp of basic geography, science and history; and the fusion of anti-rationalism with anti-intellectualism. "and that you do so on a form of digital media.Would you care to explain how anti-intellectualism has anything to do with your lawsuit (excepting the fact that you are wasting our taxpayer dollars, of which you pay none to the school district, and thus are depriving our children of the means of participating in intellectual activities)?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Relax and have a popsicle, ariadne. It's a cool and fruity treat on a winter day.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

It's fun to watch Ariadne refer to May 2008 documents to justify what little his law suit achieved, before the plans had been modified by consideration and natural evolution over time by the planning commission, the city commission, and the school board.He should be charged with the school boards litigation expenses.

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

ariadne (Anonymous) says… yes i signed the settlement with a power of attorney for a trust ownership. is that clear?~~~~~~~~~~Wow. That sounds pretty shady. POA for a family member's trust that just happens to pay for the house you live in but do not pay property taxes on.Interesting that the trust benefits not at all from your actions Property taxes are not decreased by your actions. Studies show that home valuations (and thus the selling price) increase for properties near a improving school (both facility and education-wise).So how does the trust benefit from this settlement or even from the lawsuit you tried to ramrod down everyone's throat?Being a POA has certain responsibilities and that means not working against the best interest of the trust. Someone is not fulfilling his fiduciary responsibilities to this trust.Is your mother aware of this or is the reason you hold any kind of POA for this trust is that she is unable to fulfill those responsibilities herself?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Katara,you have identified yet another legal risk for Ariadne:he could be sued in civil court for abuse of the POA/failure to fulfill his responsibilities; but he could also be charged criminally for Abuse of a Dependent Adult. I wonder, has anybody called Adult Protective Services regarding his mother? this is potentially a very serious issue. ***worth noting: since we discussed his risk RE signing without good faith, abrogating the agreement, countersuits by disgruntled neighbors...no more mention of University Place NA...and he hasn't even mentioned me by name or referred to me as a "wingut" or "wingnut" since then! honestly, I know legal authorities will be interested in material in this blog. you know Katara, it makes me genuinely worried about the care and condition of his mother. when Sven/ariadne/cool/spiderman/coaltrain leaves for Aspen, to do whatever it is he does there, what is there for his mother? is she neglected then?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

so, at 5;46p.m. Ariadne posts a repost of himself. something about "smudge stick too. strange bird, not a raven that. a Gooney?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

another day. and, Ariadne still ducks critical questions. now, hoping this thread will melt away, too. poor Ariadne/cool/spiderman/coaltrain/sven. what your neighbors think if you did get this agreement abrogated? what if 'Bub told more about you, they wouldn't like that either.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

I think that this thread and topic have run their course. Here are some final observations from me:1. In retrospect, I wish the school district would have done a much better job of selling their plan to the community. I think it was not as artfully done as it could have been. 2. I think that in response to the proposal, the neighborhood went into "combat" mode with negative attacks. A more reasoned response might have won quicker concessions and friendlier behavior.3. I'm tired of the personal attacks that I've seen here. I am 180 degrees opposite of Ariadne, but you can't dispute that he is personally invested in this matter and has been intense in his response. I suppose that had it been my property, I would have gone ballistic. My major complaint is that responding to him is impossible. Once a problem was satisfactorily answered, there would be another issue.On the hand, I have no respect for Marion. He jumps in and says "no night games". It's in the agreement, black and white, you morons! If you can't read, have someone read it to you. BUT, when called on the fact that there's nothing in the agreement on that issue, he disappears. When he's wrong, he runs off to somewhere else in order to dump on others. Guess that's how he does things.I respect Ariadne for his viewpoint and his persistence. I don't agree with him.I have no respect for Marion. He's worthless.4. I find the exclusion of City Parks & Rec without reason. I actually had a laugh when that provision was hailed as victory, but 3rd party events could occur. For the most part, usage of these fields by the city would be for grade schooler type players. There wouldn't be any late night evening games for 3rd graders. But, 3rd parties can use the fields. So, why not the Lawrence Adult Soccer League for their games. Or all those baseball teams, or softball teams? How about adult and youth independent baseball, softball and soccer tournaments? Third party usage during the summer will really increase congestion far more than the City use would. 5. If the fields are ready, the first baseball game and softball games at LHS on March 31. Soccer, baseball and softball will be played on campus on April 7. See you there, well, maybe.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Hepburn,I felt the same way: who elected the neighborhood assn to decide that parks and rec can't use these facilities? this certainly seems unreasonable! I actually started with a slight bit of sympathy for the neighbors, especially on the parking issue. however, Ariadne's incredibly bad behavior on and off the threads has hardened me firmly against their position. interesting, once the issue of bad faith came up, Ariadne/cool/spiderman/coaltrain/sven stopped mentioning the university place NA and the ACLU. very informative. ***Ariadne, I've told you several times, never to PM me. you've sent two tonight. apparently you really are either mentally ill, or determined to be a problem. try a beef jerky, its a manly meaty snack on a busy day. then stop typing.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

evaluate Ariadne on his own standards:Generally these are the rules. Can you all follow them?Keep it clean.Stay on topic.--Ariadne has violated many times on this very thread! Bush, Robertson, Ravens, family members' birding ...Be honest and accurate.--Ariadne violated many times, stating falsehoods about the state of negotiations and plans, referring to earlier incarnations to make up a "problem," and called people names without substantiation, i.e. "wingut," "wingnut."No personal attacks. Don't bash anyone based on their race, creed, heritage, or orientation.--many many times on this thread Ariadne has used name-calling/personal attacks to dodge answering serious questions.Don't say anything here you wouldn't say in front of your mother at the dinner table.--can't imagine Ariadne's mother would be proud of him from this threadUse the 'Report Abuse' button when you spot a rule violation. (Don't report comments just because you disagree.)Let's find out.--we did, and listed many failings of Ariadne. Ariadne, who has violated the site's terms of service and gotten kicked off several times.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Admin,this is the third PM in six hours from him:From: no-reply@www2.ljworld.comHello,The user ariadne sent the following message to you via LJWorld.com:==============================when you stop acting like a jerk on the forum.IM will stopTOS enforcement?==============================Please do not reply to this e-mail message. To send ariadne a response, visit this Web page:http://www2.ljworld.com/users/ariadne/contact/

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Ariadne again raises the false issue of turf. he cares nothing for it, or the LHS kids. if he were really troubled, he'd be fighting both fields' turf! this is a clear example of just a rhetorical ploy against the lhs field going in at all. if it had ranging lasars, he'd be against that, or RADAR gun to time the pitches, he'd be posting some drivel about RADAR.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

well,Ariadne got hisself disappeareded. thanks admin. this guy was allowed a lot of leeway.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

The football field at Free State is in the ground and lines are painted. It will be used by soccer until the soccer field is readied. Baseball will be ready this Spring. Softball will get a new surface over the summer. No lights will be added until the summer.I noted that on Friday, January 23, that the LHS field has the subsurface in place, apparently ready for the surface and turf to be laid when there's warmer weather. Soccer will be played on the football field this Spring until soccer is ready. I have heard that baseball will be ready for the Spring, but probably not for the first game.There are 37 days until Spring sports begin practice, March 2.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

hepburn,so what will LHS do for its first game, and maybe second if weather/cold delays get in there? *multi,you're welcome. I have no idea why NSG was pulled. I found ample reason to pull ariadne. when this thread cropped up again, I wondered if he'd already come up with another screen name.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

but even with Ariadne/Sven pulled, there's lots of evidence in this blog of how he signed that agreement without good faith, with the intent to stir up the University Place Neighborhood Association, even referring to bringing in the ACLU! if the school district's legal counsel hasn't yet, he/she needs to examine this. just 'cuz it is yanked here doesn't mean you can't find it, use a google search, hit "cached" for this page of comments, voila, there's Sven Erik Alstrom's comments as Ariadne. signing without good faith. serious potential consequences. if University Place NA does as Sven asks, does it embroil them in the abrogation of this agreement? UPNA, don't listen to Sven!

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

The first home LHS baseball game is scheduled for March 20. Softball thereafter. All are scheduled to play on campus on the evening of April 7.I suppose that if the fields aren't ready, each team would revert to their prior location...baseball at Ice field, softball (I believe) played at Sport-2-Sport and soccer to YSI #14 or #15.My impression is that once the asphalt companies produce material again after their winter hiatus, the installation of the fields goes rather quickly. From what I've seen, the Free State football field is ready to go. However, I don't know if there is "curing" time for the material to set. And, there aren't any bleachers yet set up.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

okay Hepburn,so if they have to play baseball/softball one or two games on the old locations, I assume the leagues will let that slide since the replacement process is moving along. I know that the league concern really drove the need for a fast response.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

yes Ravens, I'd say "Crowked!" LOLhe is very easy to identify, and you're right, he is without shame, or remorse.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Ravens,his claim, now whiped off here, was that he had standing to go to the neighborhood Assn, and join the suit, having Power of Attorney representing his mother. though he didn't pay taxes and was not listed on the county records. pretty shadey. ***the greatest concern I have from this whole silliness is for the LHS kids. what have they learned? how do they view the neighbors of their high school now, LHS? how do they feel about their school officials who have just been drug around by the nose in litigious extortion. how many now think what Sven/Ariadne/Cool/Coaltrain/Spiderman/ et al did is a good thing, something to emmulate? Sven Erik Alstrom has had zero concern for the kids, and zero concern for his neighbors. his only concern is self, Mommie's backyard. I bet when his mother bought there, the high school was there, or certainly was planned.

budwhysir 5 years, 11 months ago

So, here is my main concern. During this declining economy that is causing a cut in school budget, how much of the original 12 million is being used for fighting this legal battle that in the end was solved with an agreement that "involved no money"? My other concern is this, can anyone explain to me, how this sports area will benefit the academic needs of our children? Or what the major cost savings will be for the sports program?Could this be just another case of keeping up with the larger towns? All in all I think it is great to have these facilities, however I also believe that the way we are doing so will greatly impact the future learning programs we are able to provide in this town. For once, I would like to see a law suite over having to qualified of teachers or overpaid teachers. Or maybe too many books in the library. But I can see that the real problems arise when the small percentage of athletic students that might be eligable to play profesional sports do not have a "school" owned facility to play on.Here is where we are headed, In todays world we pay people millions of dollars to play football every other weekend. While these guys get paid millions to tackle each other and run around like kids, our teachers cant make a good wage. So, why not ensure the future of sports and invest ALL of our money in this area. I say turn the classrooms into locker rooms and the library into a weight room. Lets make sure Lawrence is known for not having enough seating available to watch our sports events. We can do this simply by raising taxes and giving all of our city money to the schools.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 11 months ago

It seems to me that realistically it was the district that "won" because the facility is being built with a minimal amount of changes. Once the facility is finished, it will be much easier to start pushing the boundaries of the settlement until the whole thing is negated over time. Either way, good for the district that this is getting done.

budwhysir 5 years, 11 months ago

today we build the football field, tomorrow we build the rules

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

yes Glock,it certainly seems the district won this one. and, ariadne/sven's behavior would say that too.***hi Bud! yes, the rules always have to have an exception that proves the rules. rules are only mental chalk marks, anyway.

Shelley Bock 5 years, 11 months ago

Budwhysir...I'll try to provide some answers, but they may not be satisfactory for you."My other concern is this, can anyone explain to me, how this sports area will benefit the academic needs of our children? Or what the major cost savings will be for the sports program?"I've not formally studied it, but believe that high school sports is positive in several ways. First, many teams have incredibly high GPA's. Students who participate focus on their activities and school work. Generally, they are more successful since they aren't hanging around with their friends.Second, for those who are less gifted academically, it provides an artificial value to meet. Passing grades, good comportment and attendance result in the ability to play.Finally, it is an activity by which a dissimilar community can focus their attention on to build community spirit. Yes, it's not all inclusive, but it provides a sense of belong for many. I believe that this is a value which we don't always recognize. You comment "that the real problems arise when the small percentage of athletic students that might be eligable to play profesional sports do not have a “school” owned facility to play on." I don't really know where you are going here, but you seem to imply that only a few participate in sports.I would venture to say that nearly 50% of local high school students participate in athletic type functions. Clearly, most are involved with football, either as players, band members, cheerleaders and others. I'm not a football fan, but see the value of getting that many students involved. With sports like tennis and soccer, there haven't been any cuts, except for varsity. Nearly all students are realistic enough to know that they won't be playing professionally. They like sports, but also want to get a better education.Finally, you talk about "keeping up with larger towns." Yes, many Johnson County high schools have turf and improved facilities. But, so do the schools like Junction City, Bonner Springs and even Baldwin (which uses Baker's facilities). This is how schools are improving their facilities. Isn't improving football structures and fields once in 80 years acceptable? Or providing structures for the first time like for baseball, softball and soccer?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

good points Hepburn. I think another benefit or well two actually can be added. these facilities help to encourage exercise and activity, even more necessary for youth today. and the atheletes you describe provide role models for academic and physical achievement. your average guy or gal in high school might never be on the basketball/football team, but he or she sees the effort and success shows him benefits to the effort. I've never bought that this sports facility improvement is for an elite. and, greater physical activity means better grades, lower obesity, less diabetes, better self-esteem. keeping kids active has so many benefits!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

on tonight's 6news, the fascilities director said LHS will be ready in time for baseball/softball. I hope that turns out. many kids at LHS are excited about the new fascility.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

hepburn, so how did the start dates you listed here work out for LHS and FSHS?

hope you'll see this old thread come back up.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

for anyone tuning in to this thread these May days: Ariadne got himself thrown off of this thread/the whole forum for violating terms of service, and is now operating under the screen name "bronze."

Not-so-greek also got himself kicked off of here, as did hawkpurchedattheriverfront.

this was a rather historic thread.

it is also worth noting that here Marion made some completely wrong predictions about the april election we just had.