Archive for Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Demeaning act

January 14, 2009

To the editor:

The front page of the Jan. 11 Journal-World reports that President-elect Obama’s inaugural celebration will allow a group, PETA, to promote its cause by taking advantage of other human beings. The article states, “PETA plans to give away fur coats to the homeless while offering hot soy milk cocoa in cups that read: ‘Thank You for Not Wearing Fur!’ ‘We expect that the only fur on the streets on Jan. 20 will be on homeless people,’ said Bruce Friedrich, PETA vice president. The furs, collected from people who don’t want them anymore, will be marked with black paint before they are given away so that they cannot be sold.”

To plan, allow, or even commit such a demeaning act toward the homeless population is heinously unethical and immoral. How can any fellow human being stand silent and allow PETA to follow through with its well-considered upper management plan and commit this atrocious act against humanity?

Dean Penny,
Lawrence

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess I'm missing the point. Is providing coats for the homeless demeaning? If the alternative is that the coats be destroyed, isn't it better to use them to provide a disadvantaged person with warmth?

pistachio 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm with you. I fail to see how providing extremely warm coats to the homeless in January is an atrocious act against humanity.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

I think the point is that Peta is using the homeless as a group to further their own cause, not because they are worried about their being cold. Surely, a homeless person who is against wearing fur, and there must be some, would not accept the coat. This is a question of Peta's freedom of speech. I do think that Dean got a little overheated there. I think Peta is so stupid and so wrong in the way they go about things they are more apt to provoke people to the opposite side.Ruining the coats with paint so the homeless can't sell this is just wrong.Adolf bought Eva a fur coat.

fu7il3 5 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the demeaning part of it is that the hot cocoa is made with soy milk?

AjiDeGallina 5 years, 11 months ago

I really despise PETA, but I think it is more heartless to oppose giving coats to the homeless in a city that gets very cold.There are plenty of legitimate reasons to blast PETA, please, try and be more focused and reasonable when doing so.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey Dean, when I am cold, I know a coat will help. Trust me..... when you get cold enough, a coat is a coat.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

fu7il3 (Anonymous) says… "Maybe the demeaning part of it is that the hot cocoa is made with soy milk?"Thanks for the laugh!

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

Here's my concern: Perhaps some of the PETA followers won't get the "we're going to give fur to the homeless" memo. Then, they'll attack all the fur-wearing homeless people with flour, knives, harsh "save the dog" words, and whatever else is available.

Godot 5 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the demeaning part of it is that they are going to make the coats ugly and a permanent billboard for their cause before they give them to the homeless, as if their thought process is, "homeless people don't care what they look like, anyway, so lets make them look even more ridiculous. And, in addition, lets make sure they cannot convert the 'gift' to cash."

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Okay, boys get ready to laugh at my expense. I'm actually getting used to it. I like Silk Chocolate Soy Milk, it has a very rich chocolate taste and It is good heated up for a bedtime snack.I only go off my no milk rule for fermented mare's milk, for a good time around the campfire.

rtwngr 5 years, 11 months ago

Give 'em heck, Dean! You're right but you won't get any support in this town. How about we get together, shoot our guns at some varmints out at your place and then cook up some big steaks to celebrate our mutual dislike of PETA!

Kirk Larson 5 years, 11 months ago

To quote Dr. Hibbert from the Simpsons:"Fur is murder...to clean."