Archive for Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It will take time

January 13, 2009

To the editor:

Thank God, we shall soon have a new president and new leadership. President-elect Obama brings with him new hope for a brighter tomorrow. I hope we shall all give him and his administration a chance to improve the worst economic and international chaos that I can remember since Franklin D. Roosevelt’s time when I was but a child.

Yes, there will certainly be criticism, no matter what he does or does not do. I hope his critics will remember that it took eight years to get us into the mess we’re now in and it may take a few days, months or even years to get us out of it.

Perhaps Obama can take Lincoln’s words to heart when he said, “If I do the very best I know how — the very best I can … If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won’t amount to anything.”

Harold Piehler,
Lawrence

Comments

KS 6 years, 2 months ago

Harold is already making excuses for BO's failure to come.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

"Thank God, we shall soon have a new president and new leadership."Actually, a compliant press and hundred of millions of dollars of illegal campaign contributions had more to do with the O'dude's victory than any deity.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Harold, we know...everything is always Bush's fault. If Bush ran this country into the ground, then every member of Congress should be impeached today for their heinous lack of oversight and checks & balances of the President's abuses of power. If what you say is true, then Bush did this via incompetence or on purpose and so the congress should have started impeachment proceedings long ago to prevent the catastrophe that has enveloped the nation.The blame should be placed equitably where it belongs: on the executive and legislative branches. Since most of the players in the Congress over the past 8 years are still there, I expect little to change at all.This mess is bigger than one man could ever achieve single-handedly, Harold, and one man is not going to lead us to salvation. The kool-aid must be good.

staff04 6 years, 2 months ago

"hundred of millions of dollars of illegal campaign contributions"Any facts to back that up there snap, or just more paranoid innuendo?

Trobs 6 years, 2 months ago

FDR took over the worst economic crisis the country has seen. Yet despite billions of dollars spent to invigorate jobs and help us recover it did not work. Only after the start of World War II did the economy recover when the European powers suddenly needed large quantities of manufactured goods, weapons and military vehicles. Soon to be President Obama stands in the same situation. The economy is in the tank and the country is close to the brink. Frequently Obama refers to FDR and the situation. Despite the jobs created by the New Deal in the 1930s the economy could not recover. This was during the time in which America was still a manufacturing economy. To attempt to try the same failed techniques when our economy is no longer a creative but rather a consumption economy is a flawed idea. I pray. I do not pray to thank for Obama's leadership. I pray that our country makes it through the next four to eight years. Pushing bigger government and creating ghost jobs will not make people spend money, it will only push our country further into debt and closer to collapse. Government - If you don't like the problems we've created, wait until you see our solutions.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

If all else fails, Obama can quote Bush: "... Why did this have to happen on my watch"

grammaddy 6 years, 2 months ago

Give me a break with the Obama bashing, He hasn't even been sworn in yet. There's plenty of blame to go around for the state of the economy. Can we all get behind the new President and all of us do our part to help him, instead of expecting him to fix it all himself. Things will probably get worse before they get any better and we all need to do our share.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"staff, ODS means never having to cite facts, just like BDS has operated for the past 8 years."Does that mean that OLS responders get to be equally as factless and disingenuous in their responses as their BLS preceders, snap?But seriously, you're not a dumb guy. What is it about party politics that makes you such a spiteful maroon? I really don't get it at all. You don't Actually think that either conservatives or Republicans are any better, do you?Seriously, you don't, do you?

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

grammaddy (Anonymous) says.."Things will probably get worse before they get any better and we all need to do our share."---------------------------------------------------Can we quit buying stuff???? With my hard earned PHD, I feel qualified to propose that spending may have contributed to the mess we are in. By the way my PHD came from Westlakes (post hole digger)

SMe 6 years, 2 months ago

"that it took eight years to get us into the mess we’re now in"Oh, I'm sorry, but it took more than eight years and some of those years included Democratic presidents.

Left_handed 6 years, 2 months ago

xbusguy,Being a fellow leftist, no doubt Obama will quote Bush out of context just as you did. Leftist losers all of you.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"Is it too soon to talk about the failed Obama presidency?"If your answer is "no," then you may believe the Weekly Standard is good journalism.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

You know, though, this is all been pretty interesting, for the most part. I didn't start on these boards until shortly after Bush was elected president, so the only real unhinged crazies were the steal-the-election, Bush is totally evil crowd. It's only really been in the last two years, as the conservatives have started to see their power hegemony collapse, that the conservative-side wackos have really started to go crazy. It's got a slightly different touch to it, though in the end, as in most things, they are the exact same as their liberal-wacko counterparts, as being liberal or conservative is really a small detail, but wacko is a quite important one.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

You people must be getting your news in other places than myself. I don't see Obama as a threat, let alone the American Antichrist that some of you seem to think he is.

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

hahahaha! Suck it conservative losers! Whine all you want, loser neo-cons, it won't put you any closer to positions of power! Any doofus who would still be defending Bush at this point isn't just a fool, but is an absolute fool. He destroyed your party, and now you have no where to play (or country to further destroy)! hahahahaha! Obama won by a landslide and Democrats have been handed control of Congress, and you simply can't handle it. So keep bringing your lying accusations and whining crocodile loser tears -- boo hoo boo hoo -- while us Real Americans go about repairing the damage done to our country these past eight years! But hey, at least you still have your guns to cling to ... for now! hahahahahahaha

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

If I don't have my unicorn by noon on Jan 21, I shall be very cross.

devobrun 6 years, 2 months ago

I saw Harold last night walking past the cemetery.He was whistling.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey bea...typically speaking if a posted message contains more exclaimation points than it does valid points it's probably filled with bullsh*t. Don't try so hard.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Poor Barry will be sitting up late at night calling people at random to see if they want a cabinet position. It appears several of his first-round picks are looking iffy.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"has zero emissions"I don't buy it. Most horse type creatures emit a great deal of a methane-like gas.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

jonas_opines-What you said earler goes with my theory about extreme conservatives and liberals. They have the exact same brain hard-wiring...just the beliefs are different. Both try to control your life (conservatives through religion and liberals through government/social programs/environmental wackniess) and both are very close-minded with their beliefs (no grey areas at all).

Mike Blur 6 years, 2 months ago

Most neoconservatives emit a great deal of methane-like gas.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"Then how do you explain all the wailing and gnashing of looney left teeth that's already been going on over Barry Joe's actions and deeds so far versus his campaign promises?"The hard core of leftist yahoos that took things he said, added three layers of interpretation, and then deluded themselves into thinking that this meant press the magic button for change. And then the rightist yahoos, who seem to be in charge of conservative media, that claimed that those leftist yahoos were in any way representative, and not just yahoos.