Archive for Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It will take time

January 13, 2009

To the editor:

Thank God, we shall soon have a new president and new leadership. President-elect Obama brings with him new hope for a brighter tomorrow. I hope we shall all give him and his administration a chance to improve the worst economic and international chaos that I can remember since Franklin D. Roosevelt’s time when I was but a child.

Yes, there will certainly be criticism, no matter what he does or does not do. I hope his critics will remember that it took eight years to get us into the mess we’re now in and it may take a few days, months or even years to get us out of it.

Perhaps Obama can take Lincoln’s words to heart when he said, “If I do the very best I know how — the very best I can … If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won’t amount to anything.”

Harold Piehler,
Lawrence

Comments

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"Then how do you explain all the wailing and gnashing of looney left teeth that's already been going on over Barry Joe's actions and deeds so far versus his campaign promises?"The hard core of leftist yahoos that took things he said, added three layers of interpretation, and then deluded themselves into thinking that this meant press the magic button for change. And then the rightist yahoos, who seem to be in charge of conservative media, that claimed that those leftist yahoos were in any way representative, and not just yahoos.

Pilgrim2 5 years, 3 months ago

logicsound04 (Anonymous) says…At least with Obama, we are likely to have a consistent philosophy and action.*****Oh really? Then how do you explain all the wailing and gnashing of looney left teeth that's already been going on over Barry Joe's actions and deeds so far versus his campaign promises? I believe the biggest complaints, beyond the fact that he just hasn't been socialist enough, have been his inconsistencies.

logicsound04 5 years, 3 months ago

"What's funny is that liberals have bought into his preaching."-------------Equally funny are the conservatives who have bought into their own preaching about his preaching.Of course Obama is not some sort of savior--he is one man in a federal government of thousands and he is human. He is also not the substanceless void that so many on the far right are desparately trying to make him out to be.

ese 5 years, 3 months ago

Obama knows his audience. They are people that have sensitive feelings that need to be stroked constantly. As long as there is the notion that help is on the way, they will be warmed by the message. Obama's message is the same as a cleric, Imam, or your local reverand would deliver. What's funny is that liberals have bought into his preaching.

Mike Blur 5 years, 3 months ago

Most neoconservatives emit a great deal of methane-like gas.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

jonas_opines-What you said earler goes with my theory about extreme conservatives and liberals. They have the exact same brain hard-wiring...just the beliefs are different. Both try to control your life (conservatives through religion and liberals through government/social programs/environmental wackniess) and both are very close-minded with their beliefs (no grey areas at all).

tumbilweed 5 years, 3 months ago

I am lost in a comment jungle. Kaw kaw kaw!!!!

logicsound04 5 years, 3 months ago

Thank you? For what?You didn't contribute anything.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"has zero emissions"I don't buy it. Most horse type creatures emit a great deal of a methane-like gas.

invictus 5 years, 3 months ago

I just got my unicorn yesterday it’s a beauty!! Gets 12,000 miles per pinch of fairy dust and has zero emissions.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Poor Barry will be sitting up late at night calling people at random to see if they want a cabinet position. It appears several of his first-round picks are looking iffy.

logicsound04 5 years, 3 months ago

The unicorns are only for people that voted for him.As you have pointed out, snap, he has to pay back his political "debt".Sorry, guess that's one more reason for you to dislike him.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey bea...typically speaking if a posted message contains more exclaimation points than it does valid points it's probably filled with bullsh*t. Don't try so hard.

devobrun 5 years, 3 months ago

I saw Harold last night walking past the cemetery.He was whistling.

bndairdundat 5 years, 3 months ago

If "God" had anything to do with it I doubt if Bush or Obama would have been elected. If you give thanks for one then you should place blame for the other.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

If I don't have my unicorn by noon on Jan 21, I shall be very cross.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

hahahaha! Suck it conservative losers! Whine all you want, loser neo-cons, it won't put you any closer to positions of power! Any doofus who would still be defending Bush at this point isn't just a fool, but is an absolute fool. He destroyed your party, and now you have no where to play (or country to further destroy)! hahahahaha! Obama won by a landslide and Democrats have been handed control of Congress, and you simply can't handle it. So keep bringing your lying accusations and whining crocodile loser tears -- boo hoo boo hoo -- while us Real Americans go about repairing the damage done to our country these past eight years! But hey, at least you still have your guns to cling to ... for now! hahahahahahaha

logicsound04 5 years, 3 months ago

"To attempt to try the same failed techniques when our economy is no longer a creative but rather a consumption economy is a flawed idea."--------------A consumption economy? I realize we consume more than we produce, but the idea of a consumption-based economy is fundamentally flawed and doomed to fail.We are actually a service-based economy, which is why our we are a net importer--it's hard to sell services outside the confines of your own border.Job creation through government programs didn't work during FDR's time, but as you noted--the world and our country are different than they were 50 years ago. It's a bit premature to declare job creation a failed strategy.Our best "export" is higher education, as people the world over still come to the U.S. to get a college degree. So in other words, knowledge and innvoation are our best assests, so it seems feasible that job creation programs centered around creating/harnessing new energy technology are a reasonable approach.I'm certainly more optimistic about such an approach than I am about the variation on a lasseiz-faire approach that is often the stated philosophy of conservativism. I agree there is a time and place to let the market work, unimpeded, but we need to stick to one philosophy. The Bush administration has preached free-marketism and limited government while expanding the size to record heights and giving unbalanced tax relief to the corporations and people with the most resources. At least with Obama, we are likely to have a consistent philosophy and action.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 3 months ago

You people must be getting your news in other places than myself. I don't see Obama as a threat, let alone the American Antichrist that some of you seem to think he is.

logicsound04 5 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps snap_crackle_no_pop should change his moniker to 'snap_snap_snap_snapped', as he has been skipping like a record, and he has definitely snapped since Obama was elected.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

You know, though, this is all been pretty interesting, for the most part. I didn't start on these boards until shortly after Bush was elected president, so the only real unhinged crazies were the steal-the-election, Bush is totally evil crowd. It's only really been in the last two years, as the conservatives have started to see their power hegemony collapse, that the conservative-side wackos have really started to go crazy. It's got a slightly different touch to it, though in the end, as in most things, they are the exact same as their liberal-wacko counterparts, as being liberal or conservative is really a small detail, but wacko is a quite important one.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"Is it too soon to talk about the failed Obama presidency?"If your answer is "no," then you may believe the Weekly Standard is good journalism.

Left_handed 5 years, 3 months ago

xbusguy,Being a fellow leftist, no doubt Obama will quote Bush out of context just as you did. Leftist losers all of you.

SMe 5 years, 3 months ago

"that it took eight years to get us into the mess we’re now in"Oh, I'm sorry, but it took more than eight years and some of those years included Democratic presidents.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 3 months ago

grammaddy (Anonymous) says.."Things will probably get worse before they get any better and we all need to do our share."---------------------------------------------------Can we quit buying stuff???? With my hard earned PHD, I feel qualified to propose that spending may have contributed to the mess we are in. By the way my PHD came from Westlakes (post hole digger)

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"staff, ODS means never having to cite facts, just like BDS has operated for the past 8 years."Does that mean that OLS responders get to be equally as factless and disingenuous in their responses as their BLS preceders, snap?But seriously, you're not a dumb guy. What is it about party politics that makes you such a spiteful maroon? I really don't get it at all. You don't Actually think that either conservatives or Republicans are any better, do you?Seriously, you don't, do you?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Axelrod's puppet gets no honeymoon.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Give me a break with the Obama bashing, He hasn't even been sworn in yet. There's plenty of blame to go around for the state of the economy. Can we all get behind the new President and all of us do our part to help him, instead of expecting him to fix it all himself. Things will probably get worse before they get any better and we all need to do our share.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

Complete the sentence:I read that first line, and thought this was going to be from...(lol)

Exposer 5 years, 3 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle:"staff, ODS means never having to cite facts, just like BDS has operated for the past 8 years."Of course Obama Derangement Syndrome and Bush Derangement Syndrome are very similar maladies. Both entail the display of irrational rantings by their sufferers. However, while BDS is the irrational hatred for Bush, ODS is the irrational love for Obama. Most sufferers of BDS also suffer from ODS.Many BDS sufferers could alleviate their systems momentarily through "Two minutes of hate" at this and other forums such as the Daily Kos. I'm not sure what treatment will be used for ODS. I'm fairly certain that ODS sufferers, like drug addicts, will resist treatment until they hit rock bottom.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 3 months ago

If all else fails, Obama can quote Bush: "... Why did this have to happen on my watch"

Bowhunter99 5 years, 3 months ago

Democrats have control of the Senate, the House, and the President... There is no way out... They're responsible for what's happening now (lack of meaningful legislation sent to the White House), and they will be even more responsible come January 20th...I can't wait for the 'deer in the headlights look'.... 'oh wait... you mean we can't blame the president anymore for our incompetency? Why not? we've been doing it for years'...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Trobs 5 years, 3 months ago

FDR took over the worst economic crisis the country has seen. Yet despite billions of dollars spent to invigorate jobs and help us recover it did not work. Only after the start of World War II did the economy recover when the European powers suddenly needed large quantities of manufactured goods, weapons and military vehicles. Soon to be President Obama stands in the same situation. The economy is in the tank and the country is close to the brink. Frequently Obama refers to FDR and the situation. Despite the jobs created by the New Deal in the 1930s the economy could not recover. This was during the time in which America was still a manufacturing economy. To attempt to try the same failed techniques when our economy is no longer a creative but rather a consumption economy is a flawed idea. I pray. I do not pray to thank for Obama's leadership. I pray that our country makes it through the next four to eight years. Pushing bigger government and creating ghost jobs will not make people spend money, it will only push our country further into debt and closer to collapse. Government - If you don't like the problems we've created, wait until you see our solutions.

staff04 5 years, 3 months ago

"hundred of millions of dollars of illegal campaign contributions"Any facts to back that up there snap, or just more paranoid innuendo?

Exposer 5 years, 3 months ago

" I hope we shall all give him and his administration a chance to improve the worst economic and international chaos that I can remember since Franklin D. Roosevelt’s time when I was but a child."Was Harold asleep during the Carter years, when the misery index (unemployment rate combined with infation rate) reached 21.98% (it's currently 7.77%)?

Jason Bailey 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Harold, we know...everything is always Bush's fault. If Bush ran this country into the ground, then every member of Congress should be impeached today for their heinous lack of oversight and checks & balances of the President's abuses of power. If what you say is true, then Bush did this via incompetence or on purpose and so the congress should have started impeachment proceedings long ago to prevent the catastrophe that has enveloped the nation.The blame should be placed equitably where it belongs: on the executive and legislative branches. Since most of the players in the Congress over the past 8 years are still there, I expect little to change at all.This mess is bigger than one man could ever achieve single-handedly, Harold, and one man is not going to lead us to salvation. The kool-aid must be good.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

"Thank God, we shall soon have a new president and new leadership."Actually, a compliant press and hundred of millions of dollars of illegal campaign contributions had more to do with the O'dude's victory than any deity.

KS 5 years, 3 months ago

Harold is already making excuses for BO's failure to come.