Letters to the Editor

Vick not welcome

February 28, 2009

To the editor:

I read today that several NFL teams are considering adding Michael Vick to their rosters. As an animal lover, many of the recent stories published about his animal cruelty have caused me great distress. I feel for the innocent victims in his violent crimes, and that why is I am taken aback at how easily Vick is being welcomed back into society.

I acknowledge that Vick has served his time; I do not think, however, that he should be allowed to return to professional athletics. As a football star, Vick has powerful influence over the public. Young children look up to the quarterbacks that throw the winning passes, and often emulate them. Dog fighting is already a serious problem, and if the NFL condones this, which they will if Vick returns, it is tantamount to them telling millions of American youths to start their own dog-fighting rings.

Vick’s suspension should become permanent not only for the victims of his crimes but for the victims that could be created by his return. If the NFL reinstates Vick, they will lose me as a fan because I will boycott until Vick is no longer playing. I urge anyone else who cares about animals to do the same.

Tana Wolf,
Lawrence

Comments

barrypenders 5 years, 1 month ago

I bet he would make a good repo man.

flamingdragon 5 years, 1 month ago

you americans never learn animal control....just let dogs run around and make more doggies. Michael Vick was trying to do a favor for you and you take little brown ball away from him, stick him inside building where he get free meals all day long and then no pay any rent. Your dogs wouldn't last ten minutes over here in China, it like so many cheeseburgers running around city-everybody have free lunch!

thanksforcoming 5 years, 1 month ago

I think Tana is under the illusion that all the players in the NFL are great people. Most people realize this isn't true. I don't even think he will be a QB again. In my opinion, not playing QB for so long his skills have diminished but I bet he can still run!!

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

We don't have to forgive him or forget him for what he did. But is it our right or Tara's right to keep Vick out of the NFL for a crime that he was already punished for? A team may not choose to hire him because of his dog fighting conviction, but another team may. It's not our choice or the NFL's choice really, but the team's choice.
I just don't understand why she thinks that Vick should be kept out of the NFL and punished indefinitely, and not be allowed to pursue his livelihood. What the guy did was definitely wrong, but it's not like he was a veterinarian or something, and would be going back to that career. His crime has nothing to do with football. He didn't murder anyone, wasn't convicted of drugs, etc.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

Unforgiving? Stealing candy, forgive. Stealing bread to feed your kids, forgive. Graffiti, forgive, but take away their spray paint.

Dog fighting, etc? Nah...that one needs to be remembered.

shotgun 5 years, 1 month ago

Can you imaging the unemployment rate if the rest of the world were as unforgiving as Tana?

Confrontation 5 years, 1 month ago

Child abusers are allowed back into society. That's a much bigger issue for me. Vick is incredibly disgusting, though.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 1 month ago

"Tana apparantly has no problem with all the wife-beaters in the NFL though…"

Or murderers.

justfornow 5 years, 1 month ago

Tana, Go back to your knitting and let the men handle this and do us all a favor....stay off the roads today.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Would the letter writer say this about any job that Michael Vick gets after released from prison? What if he was hired as an analyst or as a coach? He has served his time, has to make a living, and probably pay off a lot of debts. If he is good enough to play, and someone wants to hire him, then let them. The teams will have to pay the consequences if fans don't agree.
It's not like a murderer or child molester is moving in next door. Would we not give other ex-cons a chance for a job and a life, (as long as our own didn't feel threatened)?

cowboy 5 years, 1 month ago

The man lost his fortune , his career , spent a couple years in jail , what more would you want for punishment ? I's say he got hammered pretty hard. I'm not minimizing his crimes but he has paid IMO.

At some point you must forgive. Get over it .

Steve Jacob 5 years, 1 month ago

I always bring up Leonard Little of the Rams. He killed and old lady driving drunk, got four months prison and no suspension. He did his time, let the teams decide what to do.

madmike 5 years, 1 month ago

Tana is simply letting her one button issue take over her common sense. Still, he is a scumbag, but if they force sex offenders to be freed, then he has to do something for a living, and football is probably the only skill he has

Liberty_One 5 years, 1 month ago

Tana apparantly has no problem with all the wife-beaters in the NFL though...

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

"Young children look up to the quarterbacks that throw the winning passes, and often emulate them. Dog fighting is already a serious problem, and if the NFL condones this, which they will if Vick returns, it is tantamount to them telling millions of American youths to start their own dog-fighting rings."

HUUUUGE jump in logic there.

I would still hate to see the NFL reinstate Vick though. That guy doesn't deserve the millions the Raiders or Redskins will pay him.