Letters to the Editor

Adoption choice

February 28, 2009

To the editor:

Have you ever met anyone that has had an abortion instead of an adoption? If so, then you know someone who has taken away a life.

I know a lot of people incorrectly think a fetus is nothing more than a developing form of cells. A fetus is so much more; it is a life that will be able to love and be loved if it is given the chance. Adoption is a way for the child that you can’t provide a good life for to have a chance to experience what you are getting to experience. It doesn’t seem fair that you got the chance to live, but the child won’t. What if your parents had decided to get an abortion? Aren’t you glad to be alive? You should thank them for choosing life and not abortion.

Would you think it was OK if you heard that someone had thrown away their baby? I would be shocked, and I would think, “Why did they waste a life instead of letting a loving family adopt the child?” Two percent of the children in the United States are adopted.

I hope you now understand why the choice of adoption over abortion is the better of the two. Adoption is a life saved, abortion is a life undone. Adoption saved my life, and I hope it will save many more.

Frank Depenbusch,
Lawrence

Comments

storm 5 years, 1 month ago

"So, Storm, do you disagree that all human life has the capacity to love and be loved?" The answer yes. Some people are born into evil worlds and remain that way.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 1 month ago

You want to know who will never do anything to outlaw abortion? The Republican Party. I've seen interviews with republican operatives, always anonymous, where they talk about how valuable the issue is to stir up the wingnuts. You notice that the Bush administration had six years of White House/Congressional/Supreme Court control by the Republicans and what did they do to really cut back abortion? Effectively nothing. Because they know a cash/vote cow when they have one and they will bring it up to get anti-choicers to the polls, but they will never do anything real to outlaw it.

shockchalk 5 years, 1 month ago

agno - You have some good points but your statement about about adoptions and the subsequent cost are wrong. There have been several valid studies that indicate many families have the desire to adopt but the reason they don't is cost. Adoption is very expensive and many folks simply can't afford it.

rtwngr 5 years, 1 month ago

agnostik - My point is this: At the point of conception a human being has come into existence. The only difference between a human being immediately after conception and a five year old child is they occupy a different point on the life timeline. One is older than the other the same way a 10 year old is older than a five year old. Once the human exists it becomes immoral to end its existence for "convenience".

You wail about contraception and education to prevent pregnancies. Still, abortions increase every year and now after 35 years of Roe v. Wade 50 million children have had their lives ended.

Agnostick 5 years, 1 month ago

rtwngr:

Every state in the union has laws against murder on the books. Have these laws completely eliminated murder? No, they have not--but, I think it could be argued that those laws have reduced the incidence of murder. Would you agree with that statement?

Laws, CCW statutes, all sorts of strategies have joined forces to reduce the number of murders. Yes?

So why is it, then, that so many anti-abortionists hang their hat on one simple law... while seeming to ignore other strategies? When was the last time ORW, for example, handed out condoms, or helped to educate teens about effective birth control, or even hosted abstinence classes/workshops?

Standing in front of a clinic with garish signs and screaming at people is easier, gets you in the papers more... but is it really effective?

You say you want to stop murder. The only effective way is to take the so-called "victim" out of the equation. Remove the unwanted pregnancy, and it's impossible to abort it.

Or have you cooked up some miraculous way of aborting an empty womb? ;)

--Ag

rtwngr 5 years, 1 month ago

Agnostik - I would first like to stop unwanted pregnancies. But more than that, I want to stop murder. A child in the womb is a human being with the potential for being loved and loving like the author of this letter states very well.

Grammaddy - I don't have to be Jewish to be appalled and sickened by the number of Jews exterminated by the Nazis. Additionally, I don't have to be black to affirm that slavery is wrong. Therefore I don't have to have a uterus to call abortion murder!

Agnostick 5 years, 1 month ago

Even if you make perfectly healthy newborns available for adoption at the all-inclusive, bargain-basement price of $5... there will still be waiting lists at fertility clinics, where couples will gleefully take out 2nd, 3rd, and 4th mortgages on their homes to invest in IVF procedures at @ $10K each (in Kansas, IVF is 100% out-of-pocket, no insurance assistance whatsoever).

Adoption is not the solution to abortion. Neither is prohibition, restrictions, or legislation of any kind.

The #1 cause of abortion is the unwanted pregnancy. The only permanent, logical way to reduce--not eliminate, reduce--the number of abortions, is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.

I defy anyone reading this to prove that last statement wrong. In more than three years on LJW.com, no one has even bothered to attempt to prove me wrong. The methodology I propose is, quite simply, ironclad.

How do you reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies? Lots of options here, but as I've posted on these forums numerous times before, I believe a three-pronged approach of abstinence promotion, greater access to birth control, and greater access to so-called "morning-after" drugs. There is no one-size-fits-all tactic here; employing a wide variety of strategies will enable us to prevent a greater number of unwanted pregnancies.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

KU_cynic 5 years, 1 month ago

Uh, I think Frank is a teenager, folks. An adopted teenager, at that. I think he has a perspective that some of the more vitriolic commentators do not.

Storm writes: There is absolutely, positively no proof, anywhere, anyhow of this sentence: ” A fetus is so much more; it is a life that will be able to love and be loved if it is given the chance.”

If one believe that unborn life is human, and all human life has the capacity to love and be loved, then the statement makes plenty of sense to me. So, Storm, do you disagree that all human life has the capacity to love and be loved?

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

How many children has the Pope adopted?

dpowers 5 years, 1 month ago

I have always said the the right wings' concern for human rights begins at conception and ends at birth.

How many unwanted children have you adopted, Frank?

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

All of you can just get over it.Abortion is not going anywhere. How many females besides me are posting on this? If you don't have a uterus, you have no business worrying how I use mine.

rtwngr 5 years, 1 month ago

Momofthree - You're correct! As far as all of those foster children go, why don't we go ahead and exterminate them. I can recommend two methods that are very effective. Poison their systems with a saline solution or dismember them to the point of death.

storm 5 years, 1 month ago

There is absolutely, positively no proof, anywhere, anyhow of this sentence: " A fetus is so much more; it is a life that will be able to love and be loved if it is given the chance."

frank777 5 years, 1 month ago

my birth parents or my adoptive parents?

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

beo-

Did your parents have any children that survived?

All of you talking about the children in foster care....ask these children if they would have preferred if their birth mother aborted them. I wonder what answers they would get.

lawthing 5 years, 1 month ago

The bible clearly states life begins with the breath of life. It doesn't say that life begins at conception. The fetus is not considered a living person with a soul until it takes its first breath.

Confrontation 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey Everyone! Send your fetuses to Frank, so he can love them. He also enjoys long walks on the beach with frozen embryos.

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

number3of5-- I'm glad to see someone inject the idea that it is still a matter of CHOICE. There are too many children waiting to be adopted. You don't think these kids suffer? Abortion should always be a matter of choice, just like adoption. Each woman must make the choice herself, no one else has that right. No one else will ever walk in her shoes. This is a private matter between the parents and their God. Everyone else should just BUTT-OUT!!!

beobachter 5 years, 1 month ago

Because the anti-abortionists don't care about children, only fetuses.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

And what about the thousands of kids in foster care, wards of the state, up for adoption, because the parents who gave birth to them can't care for them or want them? Why doesn't anyone want to adopt them or write a letter to the editor on their behalf? Why aren't we worried about those kids?

number3of5 5 years, 1 month ago

Abortion has to be left to the person who is carrying the child that they either can't afford to have medically or financially, or that they just don't want. They will live with the consequences of their actions the rest of their lives. I know, just how this can eat away at them.

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

"It doesn’t seem fair that you got the chance to live, but the child won’t."

Something everyone considering an abortion should think of.