Letters to the Editor

Biased view

February 21, 2009

To the editor:

The article “Lower women’s standards” is not just offensive; it is irresponsible. Tom Keegan and the Journal-World have proven what an incredibly small-minded and prejudiced society we live in. In a political year where race and agism won over sexism, it is just one more feather in the cap for the typical obese Caucasian male.

The undertone of this article is how women compete against men. Just feel sorry for them and change the rules so that they can feel good about themselves. Well, let me give you a little insight: Value does not come from money or games. Our little girls only have a chance if we shine the light on the darkness that plagues our society. If we call out times like these where a man thinks he has the right to publish such a biased opinion under the disguise of “helping.”

Ask Lew Perkins about how popular women’s basketball can be when he was at the University of Connecticut. I don’t think that the height of the basketball rim would dictate the quality of play on the court. I also know how incredibly supportive he is of women’s athletics.

As for physical standards, I am close to 40 years old and I challenge Tom Keegan to a game of basketball, running or any other athletic competition. Women and girls deserve so much more.

Marissa Clark,
Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

The recession beaters: Three women small-business owners succeeding in today's economy

1wetwilly 6 years, 2 months ago

all together now, "I am woman, hear me roar..."

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

just one more feather in the cap for the typical obese Caucasian male

That confirms it... I did have a peeping Jane looking at me last night.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"In a political year where race and agism won over sexism, it is just one more feather in the cap for the typical obese Caucasian male."

Whoops, I guess you lose this argument, then.

grammaddy 6 years, 2 months ago

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 2 months ago

Marissa- The facts are these: Nobody watches female sports. Keegan was simply offering an opinion to make womens basketball more appealing to the average sports watcher. I believe he offered this up in a non-chauvinistic way. Let's face it, he could of suggested women play topless to get more viewers. He didn't, instead he put out a thought out plan down.
You give the worst kind of rebuttal: Damning Keegan's idea while not offering one of your own. You decided to insult him and call him fat, which instantly paints you as a child.

Harpo 6 years, 2 months ago

I was prepared to criticize this LTE as an overly-sensitive, mean-spirited attack on someone who is simply promoting ideas to improve the popularity of women's basketball. I even had a wiity reference to "Women's Studies" group-think all ready to go. Then I went back and re-read the column in question and came across the following sentence:

"Yet, in real-world professions that require discipline and physically taxing duties, different standards are required from women than from men."

Really, Tom? I agree there are obviously biological differences..........but discipline? Discipline??

Column discredited..........LTE justified.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

Grammaddy wrote: "Good LTE Marissa. Our male counterparts don't have a clue. And you're right, it wasn't just offensive, it was irresponsible."

Of course, we're just a bunch of knuckle-draggers. I believe it is you, and your sexism, that don't truly have a clue. I'm not defending Keegan but you lumping all men (by saying, our male counterparts) into his basket is downright offensive and irresponsible.

Left_handed 6 years, 2 months ago

This was a biased view whining about a divergent biased view. Ain't America grand?

Poon 6 years, 2 months ago

23 February 2009 at 10:06 a.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink Sven Erik Alstrom (parrotuya) says…

Gender inequality? No problem. There is cure-all: more tax cuts!

More tax cuts for women!

More tax cuts for wealthy women!

More tax cuts for misogynists!

More and bigger tax cuts!