Archive for Friday, February 20, 2009

What was that music?

The Kansas student section looks to disrupt a free throw by Iowa State forward Craig Brackins in the first half, Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

February 20, 2009

Fans weigh in on new game tunes

From hip-hop to heavy metal, fans at Wednesday night's KU game were treated with sounds different from the traditional pep band hits. Enlarge video

Reader poll
Would you rather hear live music or recorded music when attending a sporting event?

or See the results without voting

Jared Anderson noticed the change during Wednesday’s Kansas-Iowa State game right away.

“We’re sitting there, with a couple of buddies of mine, during a TV time-out,” the 2008 KU graduate began.

And instead of, say, the KU band’s rendition of “Carry on, Wayward Son,” they heard something else over the public address system …

“They’re playing some techno music,” Anderson said. “It was ridiculous.”

Other music came over the loudspeakers, too, including Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train” and “Jump Around” by House of Pain.

The band was there, too, and it played some, but it was interspersed with other music over the loudspeakers.

Though some recorded music had always been used during games, more of it was used Wednesday than in the past, said Jim Marchiony of the KU Athletics Department.

“You’ve got a situation where we have around 40 home contests — counting men and women — in a year,” he said. “It was something to try to change things up a little bit.”

That’s not to discount the role of the KU band, he said.

“The band is a large part of what we do,” he said. “They’ll continue to be a large part of the ambiance of Allen Fieldhouse and the presentation of the game.”

He said the athletics department heard a mixture of positive and negative comment from fans on Wednesday.

“It sounded all right at first,” said Mike Lavieri, a Naperville, Ill., freshman.

But as the game entered the second half, and more and more music was played, and the band played less and less, Lavieri said he and others in his ticket campout group got annoyed.

“It takes away from the tradition at Allen Fieldhouse,” he said.

The decision to pipe in more music and have the band play less sparked a number of angry rants on Internet message boards, but the reaction Thursday among Allen Fieldhouse campers wasn’t all negative.

“I really liked it,” said Kathleen Moore, a freshman from Omaha, Neb., adding that members of her campout group seemed to respond to the new music.

“All my friends usually sit down during the time-outs,” but got pumped up after the new music began playing.

It didn’t sway Anderson, who said that part of the reason Allen Fieldhouse is known as one of the best places in the country to watch basketball is because of the band.

“It doesn’t require a lot of frills like that,” he said.

Marchiony said that the department is always rethinking ways to try new things and evaluate what it’s doing, to prevent the presentation from becoming stale.

What will the music sound like for the upcoming home contest against Nebraska?

“You’ll have to wait until Saturday to find out,” he said.

Comments

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't want/like the NBA Experience in Allen Fieldhouse....

KS 5 years, 10 months ago

Omegatron - I agree. I don't want the PA announcer sing/songing the names of the players when they score. That is so childish.

Dani Davey 5 years, 10 months ago

(1) We don't camp for tickets, we camp for seats. We already have tickets.

(2) I thought the music on Wednesday was awful. If they are looking for ways to liven up the crowd, that is definetly not it. Bring back the band!!

HalsteadHawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Whoever had this dumb idea needs to be excommunicated, asap.

Graczyk 5 years, 10 months ago

What a horrible idea. That not change we can believe in.

davidsmom 5 years, 10 months ago

I would've been very disappointed it I'd been there and heard recorded music instead of the band playing. I say KU BAND ONLY!

compmd 5 years, 10 months ago

I bet this is so the university can whore itself out to the record companies to make up for student filesharing. Its probably more expensive to play a prerecorded song than to have the band play.

Let the band play!

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 10 months ago

this needs to be nipped in the bud

they need to stop with the "big-show" crap immediately

cease and desist

JayhawkAlum03 5 years, 10 months ago

I didn't make it to the game the other night, but was confused at the women's game last week. What made it stranger was that they were playing a song that the band typically plays! Way too NBA-ish for me, too.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 10 months ago

Given the general MO of this athletic department, this is about control and/or money. It's much easier to control one person playing DJ who is on the AD's payroll than it is a whole band who's part of the school of music. I would also suspect that the band members aren't buying tickets, either.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

"Whoever had this dumb idea needs to be excommunicated"

Marchiony's name seems to always be associated with stuff like this.

think_about_it 5 years, 10 months ago

I thought the music was very annoying and way overdone. It was kind of cool when they played Iron Man before the boys came out of the locker room before the game. I thought the "Flex Cam" was good too.

Dear Mr. "the department is always rethinking ways to try new things" Marchiony,

What is the last word on the pre-game video? I know you have forgotten, but the word is TRADITION.

ToriFreak13 5 years, 10 months ago

One question..... Is the KU Athletics Dept. getting clearances to play these recording artists' songs? Just like they seem to believe they deserve to be paid for anything related to KU (something they did not create)...Musicians have a right to be paid for what they did create.

Rex Russell 5 years, 10 months ago

I think HalsteadHawk said it best.

Good to hear from someone from Harvey Co. too.

nytemayr 5 years, 10 months ago

no band = more seats more seats = more money

Darrell Lea 5 years, 10 months ago

I think that the pre-recorded music should be dropped altogether from games at the fieldhouse.

It's also tragic that they are choosing the same tired cliched crap that gets played at every other sporting event everywhere, such as "Crazy Train", etc..

I suppose it's the ultimate goal of the monied forces that sell corporate sports to turn every major event into something as homogenized as a trip to Wal-Mart.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

hate the piped in music. this is Allen Field House, The Phog, for cryin' out loud!!!! knock that stuff off! the KU band is awesome! and the announcers-oy. yuk. hate the "showy" announcing!

color me a Crimson&Blue alum. tradition needs to live on!

Terry Jacobsen 5 years, 10 months ago

I was in Allen Fieldhouse at the Iowa State game. The canned music sucked. The band is much better at judging the atmosphere and enhancing it than whoever was running the cd player. The opening video is good, but once the game starts, the band should be what we hear!!

MIke Mallory 5 years, 10 months ago

to steal a phrase from the great bill walton, " it was horrrrrrrrible "

calvin 5 years, 10 months ago

The crowd was not into the game at all. Yes, ISU is a bottomfeader, but maybe the crappy music they played added to that as well.

thanksforcoming 5 years, 10 months ago

If the administration reads these comments I think it might be the last time they do it. I would rather hear the students sing along with the band. Jon Bon can't sing his song as good as the students can along with the band.

cowboy 5 years, 10 months ago

Another in the growing list of Big Lew's F ups.

Trekkie 5 years, 10 months ago

..and I'm sure it costs KU absolutely nothing to play pre-rocorded music because we know that the RIAA doesn't ever ask for payment for something as silly as a public performance of pre-recorded music.

derekleeinkc 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm pretty sure KU has a contract for public performance of music from BMI/SESAC. You would be insane not to have one to cover your rear end. I know the college I work at has one that covers any public performance of music anywhere on campus at any time.

But, I think the Band needs to play on in Allen, it just isn't the same otherwise.

Uhjh 5 years, 10 months ago

STUPID!! We don't need that at KU. I just glad the AD didn't prance around too.

fabian_zimbabwe 5 years, 10 months ago

This is about as intelligent a move as removing the steam whistle. Of course, the administration ultimately pulled their heads out of their collective keesters and brought that back. Perhaps "Corporate Lew" and "Brown-Nose Jim" will do the same with the band.

Graczyk 5 years, 10 months ago

Edjayhawk,

Something new was tried and people want the "traditional" crap.

JHawker 5 years, 10 months ago

The only music we should hear is from the KU pep Band! They work so hard and are at every game - this whole idea of 'changing it up' is beyond ridiculous and it ruins the atmosphere and tradition of KU.

Citizen_X 5 years, 10 months ago

SAVE THE BAND & KU TRADITION!!!!! Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of the KU band. It costs money and takes valuable seats away from the profiteers at KU's athletic department. If the band can be replaced by recorded music, then there is even more profit to be made at Allen Field House. However, the further downsizing of the band will lead to more loss of tradition. Eventually, Allen Field House will become just another basketball stadium, the team will lose it's sizeable home court advantage, and the school will wonder why the revenue has dropped off.
TRADITION IS EVERYTHING for a storied program like KU.

july241983 5 years, 10 months ago

I was at the game, and noticed that they did not sing the Crimson and Blue song (Far above the golden valley...). Did I miss it or is this another thing of the past?

Clickker 5 years, 10 months ago

"actually enjoy glitzy pregame entertainment. One of the biggest reasons I like KU Football is because of the pregame. And get tired of this “traditional” crap. Open your eyes and ears and try something new."

I have no problem with it. It maybe was a little loud, but it is also being done for the players ( who like it) and the recruits ( who like it). Playing 100% Lawrence Welk music just keeps us in the dark ages.

samrockchalkiam 5 years, 10 months ago

"Oh, and so you conducted a scientific poll did you?"

edjayhawk, there are approximately 40 posts here and only a couple of people like the canned music and glitz. What is that, about 5%?

I suppose you will want them to do away with the "dream on" montage at late night as that "traditional" crap gets old!!! Get rid of the newspapers & confetti? No more waving wheat, no more rock chalk chant? The traditions are what make KU basketball so great!!!

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

When I heard 'Crazy Train' I went to another room in my house 'cuz I thought I'd left the radio on.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Allen is Allen for a reason. I don't see how the music could have had a positive effect since the crowd was as dead as I've ever (not) heard it.

tanaumaga 5 years, 10 months ago

i remember when all you would hear at football games was the band...sound familiar? now, for basketball, you want to start flippin' that up too?

Fred Sherman 5 years, 10 months ago

Changes are hard - and some folks need to let some things move on and let go of the tradition for the sake of tradition. However, the culmination of changes that KUAA has and is making to the flow of time outs, pre-game activities and such is making BB games at Allen more of an NBA-light type of game and less of a fan-based college BB game atmosphere.

I’m sure KU feels the need to do so to keep up with the other upper election division one BB programs. The signing of the Alma Mater and the Rock-Chalk chant is very cumbersome now being done at 12 min prior to tip-off vs. after the signing of the National Anthem. The opening video introduction of the KU players is played way too loud, and it is starting to get old and redundant. Flipping the way the Jayhalk faces on the court (now to the south) and positioning the TV cameras on the west side of the fieldhouse so the now mostly show the changing advertisement boards along press row on the east-side of the court vs. showing the west side of the court and teams benches - I'm sure was mostly motivated by charging more for advertising.

The one aspect that I have noticed that really kills the college fan atmosphere of Allen FH most of all are the canned advertisement that are read by the P.A. announcer mid-way through various time-outs. The KU BB team make a good defensive stop, fans are screaming, the opposing team calls a time-out. The fans are going crazy, AF is rocking and the KU pep-band plays a KU fight song – but then it stops after one chorus. The P.A. announcer then starts to read some lame advertisement - half of which only promote other KUAA events - "Fans - come out to support the KU woman's BB team as they take on Alvamar-Tech on Wednesday afternoon, at 3:30 p.m. - tickets are only $19, and for those who bring along a Mountain-Dew pop-top receive $2 off the admission ticket price.” The fans stop screaming during the announcement, most sit down – and the atmosphere at AF at the end of the time-out is no better than most NBA games.

Lance Cheney 5 years, 10 months ago

Jaywalker you took the words right out of my mouth: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I'm not sure if somebody's said this already or not, but if we start playing this crappy canned music, then it'll be just like being at a fricken k-state game, with their Space Jam soundtrack blasting throughout the building.

yellowlight 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't care for the new announcing style either. Why are we trying to emulate K-State?

grammaddy 5 years, 10 months ago

Let the band play! I doubt if Phog Allen would like the canned music, either. BEWARE THE PHOG!!!

kmat 5 years, 10 months ago

For the few on here that say keep the canned music and who cares about the old traditions - my boss, who lives in KY, went to UK and his family all teaches at UK - the first time he came to KC, his first request was to see Allen Fieldhouse. He hates the Jayhawks, but being a huge college BB fan, he had to come see the Fieldhouse. Even KU haters respect the KU traditions. Why would anyone want to ruin the one thing that has always held KU alumni together?

i'm starting to hate Perkins more and more. This is not the KU I attended and grew up with.

Clickker 5 years, 10 months ago

I know some blue hairs that are not happy with the opening video montage---they dont like the rock and roll ( "Dream on"), prefering we just play some traditional KU music. So, I guess it is a matter of perspective.

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 10 months ago

Why, oh why do sportys like such bad, BAD music. At least if you pipe in music...come on! Yeah, I'm going off the rail on a crazy train too! WOO HOO!!! ROCK ROCK ROCK!!! USA USA USA!!! ...nah, I'm just kiddin' I acutally like that song a little. Seriously though...

Of course, if the band is just gonna play "Eye of the Tiger"... (that's what we played in jr high band)

Maybe a New Orleans style brass band arrangement or something like that...well, and that one song they play..I don't know what its called...of course I also think it'd be a hoot to have a live band @ a nudie bar..."We're Cyanide, a loving tribute to Poison"...and so forth.

Graczyk 5 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps it's premature, but I started a FB group called Can the Canned Music at Allen Fieldhouse.

I've included Jim Marchiony's e-mail address in the group header if you would like to tell him about how you feel about these changes.

fuel_for_the_fire 5 years, 10 months ago

July241983 - Yes, you missed it. They played the Crimson and the Blue really early, about 20 minutes before the national anthem was sung. There were still a lot of empty seats.

Edjayhawk says "threads aren't necessarily correct public opinion". Correct opinion!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? What a [fill in favorite explitive here].

FatTony 5 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone remember the "Scream Machine"? AKA the rubbermaid garbage can which was supposed to direct the crowd to scream when its lid was lifted.

d_prowess 5 years, 10 months ago

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

"“I don't see anyone complaining about the football pregame, so whats the difference?”

“What's the difference”?

Do you know where you are?"

No ideal, never been to a football game....

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

"I actually enjoy glitzy pregame entertainment. One of the biggest reasons I like KU Football is because of the pregame. And get tired of this “traditional” crap. Open your eyes and ears and try something new."

If it was something new, I'd agree with you.

But it's not something new, just go to an NBA Game.

hootman31 5 years, 10 months ago

All you have to do is call RIAA, as I am sure they don't have the required licensing.

Or better yet, have Joe College call RIAA, (what hypocrites!)

Beware of the Phog, I am sure he would disapprove.

CrimsonPhoenix 5 years, 10 months ago

Guys, edjayhawk is trollin', please move along.

kansasplains 5 years, 10 months ago

Get rid of Marchiony! Right now, the job market is full of people who would, and could, do a much better job! And also, fill the halftime with other KU groups who could do all kinds of things.

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

"From my understanding, the alma mater and Rock Chalk are done at the same time as they always have been done. The only thing that changed is that the National Anthem has been moved to immediately before the team introductions. This was done because the Big 12 requested that all schools play the national anthem at this time."

They should've moved the Alma Mater and the Rock chalk chant as well.

I don't like the huge pause between the chant and the anthem.

cmokeman 5 years, 10 months ago

I just wanted to also voice my displeasure with the recorded music. AND the cheezy announcer. Why, at a venue that sells out game after game and season after season, does the AD feel that things need to be changed to what everyone else is doing? The canned music has no class, no tradition, and no place in Allen Fieldhouse.

d_prowess 5 years, 10 months ago

Omegatron, I don't think they can move the chant to again be with the National Anthem. The Big 12 seems to have made the move to standardize the beginning of the game so to add in this tradition would nullify the whole idea behind standardizing effort the Big 12 wants. I understand the reasoning for teams wanting a set routine before the conference games no matter where they are played; but I liked it better the other way...

GardenMomma 5 years, 10 months ago

Now they can raise ticket prices again! Gotta pay for that ASCAP fee you know.

calyndra 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm a KU Basketball Band Alumna, as well as a music educator, and I am disappointed and offended to learn that such a wonderful student organization is now being belittled and threatened by the athletic department. Clearly we won a National Championship with a very active band. Why would they want to change something that hasn't been a problem? I am pleased, however, at such a public response in favor of the band. Thank you, band supporters!

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

People need to boo and boo loudly tomorrow whenever they play the recorded music.

Send the Athletics department a message: Not in our House!

independent_rebel 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey people, Omegatron has the right idea. When the lame recorded music is played cover your ears, boo and boo loudly, and then start a chant, shouting out over and over "Let the band play! Let the band play! Let the band play!"

independent_rebel 5 years, 10 months ago

One more thing: You wanna to rev up the crowd? Let the students have the seats all around the court. The student section has been seriously squeezed since I attended KU.

More and more universities have gone to giving the students the best seats to bolster the atmosphere in their arenas. Lou and crew have done the opposite at KU.

The best seats in the house used to be for students and die-hard long-time KU season ticket holders. Now the best seats are for the uber-rich like Doug Compton and those who use tickets as company perks and other "movers and shakers" in the stuffy business community.

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

I'd make Sections V,V-1,A,B,C,D,D-1,1, 2, 21 & 22 in the north, and Sections K,K-1,M,N,P-1,P,10,11,12 & 13 in the south student seating.

Then make Sections E,J,Q,U, and the lower sections of 4,8,15 and 19 Faculty and staff.

The rest general admission.

Kookamooka 5 years, 10 months ago

Strike. Don't go to a Basketball game. Just strike and make yourselves heard. That oughta get someones attention. Especially in this economy. Watch the game at home and drink a beer.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

When i go to the games, I love to hear the pep band. There are two songs I love to hear - "In the stone" and "brass roots." If I went to a game, which is once a year, and didn't hear those songs, I would be very disappointed.
And the pep band gives up their time to play at the games, not to sit around and listen to canned music.

Louisville_alum 5 years, 10 months ago

You are going down a slippery slope, KU. I watched the pep band I loved run into the ground by the athletic department. It broke my heart everytime 'canned music' was chosen over the band. Or even worse, when the DJ played the exact same song the band had just played. Don't let your band be replaced or down-sized because the athletic department! Just ask anyone from Louisville, you are treading on dangerous ground!

shockchalk 5 years, 10 months ago

The video/audio they play right before they announce the players is awesome and should be continued. However, they should go back to the original song they used when they first installed the new scoreboard/videoboard. I miss hearing the band play during the game and hope to hear more from them. I don't believe this is some plot to get rid of the band and gain some seats and I do think it's okay to have an occasional song played over the speakers as a way to try new things. They need some new talent for the national anthem. I have noticed over the last few years that the fans aren't cheering as loud or on their feet as they used to be when I started going. It's time for us to step up and cheer on our Hawks regardless of the music.