Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at www.lawrenceks.org
Water, sewer project list compiled
City commissioners are expected to sign off on a list of water and sewer projects that the city hopes to receive federal stimulus dollars to complete. The state has asked the city to submit applications for projects that could be started by June.
Projects under consideration include: $1 million to place special liners in about 40,000 feet of sewer mains to extend their life; $3.4 million to upgrade a sewage pump station in the East Hills Business Park; $5 million to install a sludge drying unit at the city’s sewer plant, which will increase capacity of the plant; and $3.5 million to improve the wet weather storage capacity at the Four Seasons Pump Station near 31st Street and Kasold Drive.
• Proclaim Feb. 22 as the WBCA Pink Zone Initiative.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Feb. 3.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Award bid for Parks and Recreation Department for unit price of electrical work to Randall Electric, plumbing to First Management, and HVAC work to Chaney Inc., not to exceed $135,000.
b.) Award bid for unit price of concrete work for the Parks and Recreation Department to Hick’s Classic Concrete, not to exceed $100,000.
c.) Award bid for unit price of excavation work for the Parks and Recreation Department to RD Johnson, not to exceed $25,000.
d.) Award bid for unit price of carpentry work for the Parks and Recreation Department to BA Green, not to exceed $25,000.
e.) Waive bidding requirements and approve the sole source purchase of 23 Dell Optiplex 755 desktop computers from Dell, through the State Contract No. N39913562, for a total of $23,529.
f.) Set bid date of March 3 for City Bid No. B09014, Project No. PW0904, 2009 Crack Seal Program.
• Approve Special Use Permit, SUP-12-10-08, to allow Light Equipment Repair for Car Toys (stereo installation) at The Malls, located at 711 W. 23rd St.
• Approve rezoning, Z-11-18-08, of approximately 11,715 square feet located at 1245 Conn. from RS5 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RSO (Single-Dwelling Residential Office). Submitted by James Williams and Sara Hurd for Peaceful Rest Corp., Second Christian Church of Lawrence, property owner of record.
• Approve Rezoning, Z-11-20-08, of approximately 140,090 square feet located at 2141 Maple Lane from RS7 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RMO (Multi-Dwelling Residential Office). Submitted by Grob Engineering for Kansas Family & Children Foundation Inc., property owner of record.
• Approve Rezoning, Z-12-21-08, of approximately 37,500 square feet for 1740 Mass. from RM24 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to CS (Commercial Strip). Submitted by Wally Storey Associates Inc., for Woodoc LLC and Dillon Companies Inc., property owners of record.
• Approve a sidewalk dining and hospitality license for The Noodle Shop Co. Kansas LLC, doing business as Noodles & Company, 8 W. Eighth St.
• Authorize Administrative Service/Human Resources Division staff to distribute a Request for Proposals for Employee Benefits Broker/Consulting Services.
• Receive 2008 fourth quarter report for Lawrence Freenet.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive staff report on the Lawrence Freenet request to install wireless devices on city light poles in the downtown area and provide direction as appropriate.
• Consider authorizing the submittal of water and wastewater utilities projects to KDHE for consideration for possible federal economic stimulus funds.
• Consider the following items related to the Downtown Design Guidelines and Urban Conservation Overlay Districts:
a.) Consider approving revisions to Downtown Design Guidelines.
b.) Consider approving Text Amendment TA-10-18-08 to revise Article 3, Section 308(g) – Appeals to be consistent with the adopted Downtown Design Guidelines and to revise Section 308(h).
c.) Consider approving Text Amendment TA-10-19-08 for Article 3, Section 308(h) to add an ordinance number and reference for Eighth and Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District.
• Receive staff report on the Rental Registration Program.
• Review draft economic development policies and cost benefit model to be forwarded to Board of County Commissioners for their comments.
• Consider request for a study session regarding Bowersock Dam and Utility items.