Archive for Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cruel irony

February 11, 2009

To the editor:

I hope I’m not the only one to note the cruel irony of your paper’s coverage of a Kansas University student’s felony charge for animal cruelty while featuring Tonganoxie’s third annual Squirrel Scramble on the front page. One man faces serious penalties for “intentionally and maliciously killing, injuring, maiming, torturing, burning or mutilating any animal” while organizers of the squirrel hunt see it as “a good way to get the children outdoors” and relish the idea of cutting off squirrel tails to use as fishing lures.

Excuse me, but squirrels are animals too. Kids don’t always kill them with the first shot, as they often discover when collecting what they’ve bagged. What about the suffering of the permanently maimed and injured animals that escape? If reducing the squirrel population is a goal, there are more humane ways to accomplish that.

If animal cruelty is to be deplored and punished, promoting the Squirrel Scramble sends kids exactly the wrong message. I’m sure this irony (and contradictory community standards) won’t be ignored by the accused’s defense attorney.

John Hoopes,
Lawrence

Comments

TheResignation00 5 years, 2 months ago

Lynn, if you're going to try and insult someone's vocabulary, you might want to do some research.

TheResignation00 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm gunna go real "pot-loving liberal" on you, and say that population control is a bad excuse for killing something. Honestly, who is to say that we deserve this world and land more than animals? Animals were here first (let's not move on to the evolution argument).

But then again, I'm just a far-left pot smoking hippie.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Well goll dang,I guess we'll just have to use them as throw rugs in front of the fireplace. Sounds like a cozy place to snuggle for Valentine's with the little woman.

Bullwinkle 5 years, 2 months ago

according to scripture, both sex with animals and eating squirrels are prohibited."Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith" (Leviticus 18:23)."Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel, and the hare, and the squirrel: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore they are unclean unto you" (Deuteronomy 14:7).

Bullwinkle 5 years, 2 months ago

there was a time not so long ago when it was legal to hunt bison and indians. plenty of people did it until both were almost extinct. i don't think squirrels are endangered yet, but plenty of other critters that once lived here are. just because something has been done for years doesn't mean it's right. the point of the letter is not about what's legal, but about what's animal cruelty. there are a few major world religions that have prohibited hunting and eating squirrels for hundreds or thousands of years. they're just not yet the main religions of kansas. what's right and what's not is all a matter of perspective. bottom line is that the squirrel scramble sadly makes the animal abuser seem less bad than he really is.

watchingamazed 5 years, 2 months ago

I am shocked with the large volume of tree hugging, vegetarian, pot lovin' hippies who read this paper!!! In the state of Kansas it IS LEGAL to hunt squirrels! It IS LEGAL to allow kids to hunt. Many fishing lures have been made from squirrel tails for years! This is nothing new. I have participated in the hunt every year & will continue to for every year coming. The squirrels I shoot are kept just like every turkey, deer, & coyote I hunt. If you want to rant about dog sex or abortions that's your right, but it has nothing to do with squirrel hunting!

Lynn731 5 years, 2 months ago

Maroon, hmmmmmm isn't that a color? Thank you, Lynn

Lynn731 5 years, 2 months ago

Squirrels make good stew, dogs and cats don't. Thank you, Lynn

Jaylee 5 years, 2 months ago

i think the squirrel scramble is kinda senseless mayhem all itself, but dont think these people are f*cking the squirrels.sodomy? upon a dog?i say, and believe no opposition, that this guy is more messed up.

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

“If anyone ever deliberately hurt my animals though, I will smile as I kill them then will happily go to jail.”Kmat sounds like a loon.

Stu Clark 5 years, 2 months ago

Thanks, Badger. I was amazed at how long it took before someone noticed the "26 month old fetus". Actually, very few abortions are done at 26 weeks. Of course, the real stretch was jumping from squirrel hunting to human abortion judgements.

bad_dog 5 years, 2 months ago

madmike: Thanks for the heads up. Are you telling me XD40 is really a nom de plume for Bugs Bunny?Ah maroon-a marvelously magnificent malapropism.

badger 5 years, 2 months ago

Tom Shewmon says:“…have a 26 month old fetus ripped out of her womb.”I would certainly hope that any woman would have a fetus removed long before completing 26 months of gestation. Heck, at 26 months a fetus should be able to talk well enough to ask to be let out.Proofreading, sparky. Learn it, love it, live it.If you're going to commit the near-Godwin offense of draggng abortion into every single conversation, at least learn the difference between weeks and months. Cause it seems like everything makes you think of "George Tiller ripping a viable late-term fetus out of a woman." That sort of obsession isn't healthy, there, and in addition to being annoyed at your failure to comprehend differences in timescale, I'm a little worried about the rather macabre turn your fantasy life seems to be taking.

AjiDeGallina 5 years, 2 months ago

I am against cruelty to animals, but I also understand it is cruel to let their population get out of control until it gets to the point where they starve to death, fight each other, become weak and then more likely to carry disease or invade places where they would not normally be.I honestly would rather shoot a squirrel than watch him and his buddies turn to canibalism, die of starvation or create havok that will cost humans significant harm.

Elmer_Fudd 5 years, 2 months ago

Dang wascally wabbit.I loves wabbit stew.I am not a maroon ,and I'll shoots any wabbit that calls me that.Happy Hunting evwyone.- E. Fudd.

notajayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

So, boohoozo, when blue73harley said there was a difference and you answered "Not for the animals involved,;" you weren't saying they were the same? Do you have a dictionary, boohoozo? One with the small words that even you can read? Are you vaguely aware that 'different' and 'same' are pretty much opposites, and by denying difference you are claiming similarity? Are you vaguely aware of anything?As for being whiny and disagreeable - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haComing from herr klowne, nonetheless.Thanks, boohoozo, I can always use a laugh in the middle of the day.

mightyquin 5 years, 2 months ago

Invictus, I don't believe our laws are based on morality because not everyone has the same set of morals. Rather our laws are based on a persons(or animals) rights. You can't kill a person, not because it is immoral but because it deprives them of their right to life. Now in the case of abortion, the controversy stems from whether you consider a fetus a person with rights or just a collection of cells, and I will not get into that debate here. Animals rights vary depending on what kind of animal they are. Domestic pets seem to have the most rights as they get the most attention. Domesticated food animals have fewer rights because not only do we kill them, we milk them sheer them steal their eggs and keep them in cages for their entire unnaturally short lives. Game animals would seem to have the fewest rights. While they are free they can be hunted and killed. About the only protection they have is during the off season when some other critter is in the cross hairs.

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with kmat. Let's start with her!

kmat 5 years, 2 months ago

Thank you kerplunkr. You are correct.I am sickened that you say parents took kids out to kill cats. What great parents those were. I sure they raised kids that intentionally hurt domestic animals after being taught to kill cats. We need human population control instead animal control.If anyone ever deliberately hurt my animals though, I will smile as I kill them then will happily go to jail. Are you enraged by that invictus and little tommy or are you only concerned about harming a fetus?

kerplunkr 5 years, 2 months ago

I think you all aren't giving Mr. Hoopes enough credit for his observation. I agree that his comparing of the squirrel hunt to the KU sexual deviant's acts are not the same. However, I do find it ironic in a sense. I grew up in a small town where taking your son out to shoot squirrels, rabbits, cats, etc. was not uncommon. Some of those kids eventually went on to deliberately run over domestic animals while driving by in their trucks. How upset would some of you be if you knew one of the local boys ran over your cat or dog on purpose?My point being, I don't think the squirrel hunt was evil. Parents needs to make sure they teach their kids how to treat animals appropriately. This means that they cannot just kill whatever they want on a whim!

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

Bad_dog, have you never seen Buggs Bunny call another cartoon figure a "maroon"?

bad_dog 5 years, 2 months ago

XD-Not to be too picky, but the word maroon is used either as an adjective to describe a color or as a verb, i.e. “He was marooned on the island by pirates”.Could the word you intend to use be “moron” or is “maroon” some new slang term?

gogoplata 5 years, 2 months ago

This letter is silly. Man has been hunting animals for food for thousands of years.

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

I have 26 trees on my property, and they are full of squirrels. I don't shoot them and don't hunt squirrels because I don't like the taste. Other than that, I would hunt them.

musbhiorlo 5 years, 2 months ago

I knew a lady who had a squirrel that lived in her neighborhood that would visit her everyday. She loved that squirrel, enjoyed feeding it, talking to it. One day a neighbor shot and killed the squirrel. He put the dead squirrel in her mailbox for her to find when checking the mail.

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

So basically it’s not the act of killing it is that the person derived pleasure from the act. If I took my 20 year old sick dog into a field and shot it, would that be against the law?

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

Connacht my point is there is plenty of outrage about his case but every day human beings are mutilated and killed and thrown in the dumpster. I find it interesting there are laws to protect dogs but not baby humans.And fyi all of our laws are based on some kind of moral judgement.

jafs 5 years, 2 months ago

What about simply killing a dog? Is that ok?If you care about animals, then killing them is simply not necessary and generally wrong.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

Good ol Lawrence..... This one ranks high on my "gotta be nuts" list.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

Hunting is and always will be legal. Having sex with a dog and killing it will never be legal. Comparisons are moronic. Move on please. That is all.

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

Because it tastes good, missmia!

XD40 5 years, 2 months ago

Good lord! I spewed coffee all over the key board when I read the first couple of sentences! LMAO!!What a maroon!

missmia 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand how people think that just because an animal is not "domesticated" that it's ok to kill it.

Connacht 5 years, 2 months ago

"Of abortion, hunting, and animal abuse, abortion is the most disgusting and it is sanctioned by the government. We have lost any moral high ground as a society. How can prosecute people on what we consider immoral?"Your opinion, which is not shared by the majority of Americans. And for the record, all those things you mentioned are clearly sanctioned by the government in one form or another. So I fail to grasp your point. We don't prosecute people for what we as individuals consider to be "immoral", we prosecute people for breaking the law.

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

How did a letter from a loon comparing hunting with what this guy did to a pet turn into an abortion debate?

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

Connacht 5 years, 2 months ago

"Far-left PETA-like kooks are almost always pro-abortion"I swear I've seen you use this exact same line elsewhere. Can't we have ONE discussion that doesn't devolve into a pointless debate on abortion? The OP is right on point. How can you seriously prosecute someone for animal cruelty, but encourage children to go out and mutilate squirrels for fun? There's a contradiction there and I'm sure it will be noticed by the defense lawyer in the afore mentioned animal cruelty case.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 2 months ago

eric, I'm against the death penalty.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

"Compared to, say, your own contention that having sex with and mutilating a domesticated pet is the same thing as shooting an overpopultaed rodent? Yeah, those are exactly the same."Who said they were exactly the same? Just because they aren't exactly the same doesn't mean there aren't some similarities. But I understand your well-demonstrated need to be whiny and disagreeable, because, well, you're just whiny and disagreeable.

eric1889 5 years, 2 months ago

I find it ironic that most pro-life supporters are also pro death penalty. Do they not both take a human life?

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

Nancy Tom, when will the right-wingers get it through their heads that NOBODY is pro-abortion, we are Pro choice. And unless you have a uterus, keep your hands off mine!And why was this guy let out on bond when he was arrested on the same charges earlier this year?

notajayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says… "Even if you disapprove of abortion, Tom, comparing a woman making a decision about her body, and your killing a squirrel, is just silly."Compared to, say, your own contention that having sex with and mutilating a domesticated pet is the same thing as shooting an overpopultaed rodent? Yeah, those are exactly the same.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

We've come to accept your logical non-sequiturs, Tom. That's what makes you, you.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 2 months ago

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"Far-left PETA-like kooks are almost always pro-abortion."Q: How do you know this?A: You don't.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 2 months ago

s/b: "...have a 26 month old fetus ripped out of her womb."

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 2 months ago

These kinds of LTE's only make me think of George Tiller ripping a viable late-term human fetus out of a woman. Far-left PETA-like kooks are almost always pro-abortion. I guess I will just never "get it". Now someone like bozo will come back and disparage me saying they're surprised that I don't "get it" due to my ignorance etc etc. I'll try to be a bit pre-emptive here: I choose to shoot a squirrel, a woman may choose to have a 26 month old fetus out of her womb.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

Not for the animals involved. Which demonstrates that animal cruelty laws are there to protect human sensibilities, not animals.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"There is a big difference between harming a domesticated pet for fun/perversion and shooting wild animals for food or population control."Probably only in our heads. But then, that's all we have to go by, and where all of this notion of morality comes from in the first place, so maybe that's it.

blue73harley 5 years, 2 months ago