Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at lawrenceks.org
Confirmation sought for air quality
City commissioners will be asked to submit a letter to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment asking the organization to find that Douglas County complies with stricter ozone air quality standards.
Currently, there is not enough data to determine whether the county complies with the standards. But city leaders don’t want the county to be found out of compliance because it could lead to costly remediation efforts — including the use of higher-priced, specially formulated gasoline in the summer months.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Jan. 20 meeting.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Adopt the following ordinance(s) on first reading:
a.) Ordinance No. 8364, for Text Amendment TA-10-17-08, amendments to Section 20-804, 20-805, 20-807 and 20-815 of the joint Subdivision Regulations revising standards for Build Out Plans.
b.) Ordinance No. 8368, an ordinance providing for the amendments to the 2006 International Building Code (IBC), International Residential Code (IRC) and International Plumbing Code (IPC) specifically recommending that drinking fountains not be required in occupancies with an occupant load less than 30 and initiating a recommendation to reduce the amount of insulation for basement walls in one- and two-family dwellings.
• Adopt on second and final reading Ordinance No. 8213, rescinding All-Way Stop Signs at the Kasold Drive and Peterson Road intersection and prohibiting parking on the south side of Hillcrest Road and on the west side of Spencer Drive 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday to Friday; and prohibiting parking on the west side of Stone Meadows Drive between Bob Billings Parkway and the south leg of Brighton Circle and on the west side of Louisiana Street between 18th Street and 19th Street.
• Authorize the city to use eminent domain for acquisition of a sanitary sewer easement on property at 2509 Allison Drive for the Prairie Wind Addition sanitary sewer public improvements.
• Approve as a sign of community interest a request from Pilot Club of Lawrence to place a directional sign advertising the Antique Show and Sale at the northwest corner of 23rd and Harper Streets on US Bank property. The sign would be placed Feb. 27 and removed March 1.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider adopting on second and final reading Revised Joint City Ordinance No. 8283/County Resolution No. ____, for Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPA-2004-02) to Horizon 2020, Chapter 7.
• Receive briefing from the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department on the Kansas Department of Health & Environment 2009 proposed 8-Hour Ozone Nonattainment Boundary Designation. Consider authorizing the mayor to sign a letter to KDHE regarding the city’s position on KDHE recommended ozone designations.
• Discuss potential impact of general economic conditions and the governor’s proposed 2010 budget on 2009 and 2010 city budgets.
• Discussion of possible federal enactment of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.
• Consider approving updated Airport Advisory Board Airport Improvement Program, direct staff to proceed with Runway Protection Zone property acquisition, and authorize city manager to execute an agreement with ADG for engineering services for the extension of parallel Taxiway D.
• Receive memo from Legal Services regarding Baggett v. BOCC.