Archive for Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Drums probed as cause of anthrax case

December 30, 2009

Advertisement

— A New Hampshire woman diagnosed with a rare gastrointestinal anthrax case may have swallowed spores propelled into the air by vigorous drumming, a state health expert said.

Officials haven’t confirmed how she contracted the disease but are focusing on a drum circle gathering she attended Dec. 4 at the United Campus Ministry center in Durham shortly before becoming ill. Anthrax spores were found on two drums.

Dr. Elizabeth Talbot, an adviser to the state’s public health division, said one theory is that the woman ingested airborne spores from a drum’s animal-hide covering.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.