Archive for Sunday, December 27, 2009

Journal-World carriers still delivering

December 27, 2009

Journal-World carriers are still delivering newspapers to customers today.

Journal-World circulation manager Chris Bell said drivers were still getting stuck on side roads around the city. He said while carriers normally place newspapers on customers' porches, the driving conditions had been forcing some to instead place them on driveways.

Bell said carriers were delivering papers this morning and were also planning to attempt deliveries this afternoon.

Customers who have not received papers the past few days can call 785-843-1000 until noon Sunday to speak to a Journal-World customer service representative.

Bell said the plan was to delivers all papers missed to customers.

Comments

5 years, 5 months ago

N1G, Please read again:

"...drivers were still getting stuck on side roads around the city"

That's how it can be. My paper was delivered today. The delivery person had to slog through a fair amount of snow to bring it. I think they are doing a great job under the circumstances.

Phil Minkin 5 years, 5 months ago

I understood the delivery problems on Fri and Sat and didn't call about not getting a paper. Today I got my Sunday paper along with Friday and Sat. I had already bought Sat. I wonder if I will be charged for those. Isn't there a song lyric "Who wants yesterday's paper?".

JayCat_67 5 years, 5 months ago

We got most of Friday's out before getting stuck twice and barely getting home. (in a 4WD) Saturday we couldn't get out of our own driveway because the neighbors had too many cars parked on the street and the plows couldn't get through safely. We finally got everything out this morning. Some of the side streets were still pretty lousy. The biggest problem this morning was that sheet of ice left where sidewalks had been shoveled and even on the streets in many places. Only fell once with no injury but pulled a few muscles in the legs trying to keep from falling. Think I'll invest in a set of spikes or Yak Trax.

pooter 5 years, 5 months ago

I finally got today's paper but still haven't seen friday's or saturday's paper and now after all this time I would rather just see a credit on next months bill.

Funny thing is how you can get a pizza delivered but not a paper.

audball 5 years, 5 months ago

It's nice to read the understanding comments posted here regarding the almost impossible task of delivering papers after the massive storm that the paper carriers were faced with. Reading a similar blog in the Topeka Capital paper, the Topekans, with 2 or 3 exceptions, are singularly intolerant and whiny. It's not like the paper carriers are paid so well that they all can drive heavy duty vehicles that can make it thru any road conditions. They do the best they can, and as a former (child) carrier, I empathize with them, and appreciate their efforts.

Randall Barnes 5 years, 5 months ago

CITY CREWS ARE DOING A GOOD JOB. SIDE STREETS ARE ALLWAYS LAST. AND WILL YOU SEE A CREDIT ? WHO ONLY KNOWS.DID'T GET YOUR PAPER FOR A COUPLE DAYS DON'T WORRY YOU DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING SINCE LJW DOES NOT PRINT THE REAL NEWS ANYWAY.

pooter 5 years, 5 months ago

I delivered newspapers for a couple of years and in many a snow storm years ago when I was a kid and lived in Maine and never missed a day so I know exactly what it takes to get them out.

And this storm was no comparison, not even in the ballpark, to several of the good Nor'easter's I had to deal with.

As for flipping burgers, beo, sorry, but I wouldn't work doing your job even if they did hire me.

btw... yes, I want fries with that.