Archive for Friday, December 18, 2009

LMH ranks No.1 in treating patients suffering heart attacks

LMH rated tops in cardiac care

Lawrence Memorial Hospital cardiologist Roger Dreiling looks to the catheterization lab for a status update after completing a coronary angiography and left ventricular cineangiography on an elderly man Friday, Dec. 18, 2009, at LMH. According to the American College of Cardiology, LMH ranks first among 932 hospitals of similar size when it comes "door-to-balloon" time. That's from the time a patient suffering a heart attack enters the hospital to when the artery is opened.

December 18, 2009

LMH ranks No.1 in treating patients suffering heart attacks

Lawrence Memorial Hospital has placed first among 932 hospitals of similar size in treating patients suffering heart attacks. The hospital’s average “door-to-balloon” time is 57 minutes. That’s the time from when the patient enters the hospital to when the artery is opened. Enlarge video

The Kansas University men’s basketball team isn’t the only one in town that’s ranked No. 1 in the nation.

“The faster you can get the artery opened, the less likely for heart damage,” said Dr. Roger Dreiling, LMH medical director of cardiology.

The American College of Cardiology began a campaign in 2006 to help hospitals reduce their times to 90 minutes.

“It reduces the chances of repeat events and it also preserves the heart muscle, so anything above 90 minutes puts patients at a much greater risk down the road,” said Amy Murphy, spokeswoman for ACC.

The campaign has made a difference. In 2005, the national average time was 121 minutes and now it is 80 minutes.

At LMH, Dreiling was the only doctor trained to perform the procedure called percutaneous coronary intervention until Dr. T. Ghose, a cardiologist, joined LMH this month. The hospital has met the 90-minute standard for the past six quarters.

Between Jan. 1 and Dec. 10, LMH has taken care of 165 patients with ST segment elevation myocardial infarction, commonly called STEMI. In the past week, Dreiling said LMH cared for two patients with STEMI — one in 31 minutes and the other in 40 minutes. The fastest time was 17 minutes when they provided treatment for a janitor who was cleaning in the emergency room.

Dreiling said achieving the ranking is a 24-hour-a-day team effort.

“I feel like Bill Self,” LMH CEO and President Gene Meyer said with laughter. “When you have great people that you work hard to recruit and a great team put together, you achieve some lofty rankings.

“Our folks take this very seriously, and the results at least to this point have been fantastic and we expect them to only get better.”

Comments

kidscount 5 years ago

LMH has sooooo improved over the last several years!

Confrontation 5 years ago

They are also #1 in causing heart attacks when patients open their LMH bills.

equalaccessprivacy 5 years ago

Not even thinking about it, LMH seems pretty self-congratulatory! Ha! Given the dismal level of expertise, competence and basic human respect I've run into in Lawrence glad I went to an urgent care center(First Med?) after breaking my shoulder shortly after arriving here last year.They showed a level of competence I've rarely met again in this backward town.

redmoonrising 5 years ago

Well, KU Med was ranked very high in patient satisfaction and rightfully so. But then again, after receiving a bill for only five days in their facility, one in the OR, getting a bill for just short of $182,000 for the hospital only almost sent me to the Lawrence ER. Nice to know they most likely could have saved me. This didn't include the surgeon and the dozens of other doctors who "saw" me for one reason or another at KU.

nbnozzy 5 years ago

I've been using LMH for the past year for my cancer treatments and have only good things to say about the quality of care I receive.. All the "Debbie Downers" who trash talk it are probably unsatisfied about life in general. They'll not sway my opinion of LMH and I hope people give our local hospital a fair chance to show how well they can perform.

akt2 5 years ago

Try walking into First Med with chest pain and see what happens. They are Urgent Care. Not Emergent Care. I'm sure they are nice people, but they don't perform heart caths. For those of you that balk at LMH, you have the option to drive to Johnson Co or KC while having a heart attack.

kujayhawk 5 years ago

equalaccessprivacy - nobody is making you stay here.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

I have used the Kreider rehab at the hospital and they are very nice people. I got some pointers as how to take care of myself and not to be gross, but they solved by "going" problem so I don't have to take drugs and I don't have to buy products. I am very grateful for that. Also they taught me some exercises to use for my degenerative joint disease and achilles heel tendonitis. I also have had a couple of operations which went very well and my daughter had a very good experience when she gave birth. Thank you LMH.

myopinion 5 years ago

Is funny. My girlfriend went there 2 times for BACK problems. 1st time...took about 4 hours to get seen, after I reminded them. 2nd time they x-rayed her SHOULDER. I Immediately LEFT with my girlfriend, and would NEVER return there! TOTAL incompetence!

pissedinlawrence 5 years ago

well myopinion, I work at LMH and back problems are not an emergency. Pts are seen on a need basis, not first come basis. We treat heart attacks and strokes first, sorry.

Shelbyrules 5 years ago

Our community is very lucky to have Dr. Dreiling.

Sigmund 4 years, 12 months ago

Shelbyrules (Anonymous) says… "Our community is very lucky to have Dr. Dreiling."

He is a great guy and great doctor. You might be surprised how many times he and his team have been paged out at 3AM and performed surgery flawlessly.

grammaddy 4 years, 12 months ago

1 among hospitals of the same size. I wish they'd spend as much $ on getting some real medicine going instead of just making the place pretty.

backyardwino 4 years, 12 months ago

Has Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson issued a statement on this yet? Moreover, has he apologized, publicly, for his last remarks regarding LMH?

egress 4 years, 12 months ago

And yet their center had no staff on President's Day so my mother-in-law had to be flown to St. Lukes.

Janice Early-Weas 4 years, 12 months ago

LMH has offered elective interventional cardiology services since 2005, but emergency procedures were dependent on the availability of cardiologists from Cardiovascular Consultants. As this story illustrates, time is of the essence in taking care of STEMI patients, so in the past patients were transferred if an interventional cardiologist was not in Lawrence. Even with transfers, LMH has exceeded the "door-to-balloon" time standard of 90 minutes for the past 18 months.

Effective Nov. 1, 2009, LMH has employed four cardiologists and on Dec. 1 added a second interventional cardiologist. There are now two full-time Lawrence-based interventional cardiologists who are able to perform Cath Lab procedures around the clock. The goal is to take care of more patients in our community in a timely manner, ultimately saving more lives and improving heart patients' quality of life. -- Janice Early-Weas, LMH Director of Community Relations

notanoobhere 4 years, 12 months ago

Thank you LMH for opening my artery and having your nurses take such good care of me while recovering, and thanks for the $95,000 bill for 3 days and the doctors from KC who actually performed the procedures that could have been done with some nitro, you will never see a dime from me.