Archive for Friday, December 18, 2009

Bars, restaurants not stepping up to help fund Tipsy Taxi this year

Program may not be able to continue

A lack of community support could put the brakes on the longtime Tipsy Tax program, which provides free taxi rides home to New Year's Eve revelers, organizers said.

December 18, 2009, 1:33 p.m. Updated December 18, 2009, 3:11 p.m.

"If there continues to be the lack of donations, we won't be able to continue the program," said Brandi Munoz, a DCCCA Inc. prevention specialist, who has planned the program the last several years.

Last year, 766 Lawrence residents took advantage of the program, which has been operating for 25 years and is designed to keep drunken drivers off Lawrence streets. Organizers said the program has been providing a larger number of rides each year, with only 425 passengers using the service four years ago.

DCCCA has typically reached out to area bars and restaurants to help pick up the tab, which is generally around $2,000, but this year not many businesses are contributing, Munoz said.

The education, prevention and treatment organization usually picks up the slack in donations, forking over $1,469 last year.

But Jen Brinkerhoff, director of DCCCA's Regional Prevention Center of East Central Kansas, said "major" state budget cuts haven't left as much wiggle room this year.

"We can't keep supporting it at such high amounts," said Brinkerhoff.

Rick Younger, of Rick’s Place, 846 Ill., said his bar has contributed for many years to the cause.

"I felt a little badly when I read the letter and the request," Younger said, adding that there used to be between 50 and 70 donors each year. The letter said there were only 11 business donors last year.

"Everyone's broke and no one has money, but I figure if you keep one kid from getting run over (it's a) better holiday," said Younger.

Organizers said donations can be mailed to Tipsy Taxi 2010, c/o DCCCA Inc., 3312 Clinton Parkway, 66047.

Comments

flux 5 years, 5 months ago

Run the city buses free for all......next

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

They never should have offered this service is the first place. Anyone who is old enough to drink and has the money to buy a lot of liquor should also be responsible for having a designated driver or a way home after being out to the bars.

Raider 5 years, 5 months ago

Send em to the wet shelter with the bums!

tanaumaga 5 years, 5 months ago

I know a certain owner that paid out of his own pocket for sober drivers

Randall Barnes 5 years, 5 months ago

ADD $20 TO EACH DUI,DWI AND OUI IN THE COUNTY (SAME THING JUST DEPENDS ON THE ARRESTING AGENCY) AND SET IT ASIDE FOR NEW YEARS EVE MAKE THE DRUNKS PAY FOR IT THROUGH OUT THE YEAR.

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

Leslie/Irish - People don't always intend to drink "a lot of liquor." Point is they do and shouldn't be driving. Sometimes they don't have a designated driver.

If they don't have an alternate way to get home I guarantee you they will get behind the wheel.

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

tomatogrower 5 years, 5 months ago

rando1965 (Anonymous) says… add $20 to each dui,dwi and oui in the county (same thing just depends on the arresting agency) and set it aside for new years eve make the drunks pay for it through out the year.

Excellent idea! You should send this idea to all state and local reps.

BMI 5 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of responsible owners, this bar in OP went one further with year round free shuttle. http://www.saintspub.com/free-shuttle.html

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

After many many evenings and into the many many early morning hours one day about 30 years ago it became clear that I was wasting a lot of time drinking a little too much.

Some nights were simply erased from my mind and the hangovers were never any fun. Yes I never had a hangover that I enjoyed. In essence that became stupid after learning all these negatives about not stopping at a smart point.

One of the very real wastes of time was the hangover. Just could not get up to speed = not a productive or necessarily enjoyable day. Soooo about 30 years ago I declared a moratorium on alcohol for short period of time comparatively speaking. Gave me time to reflect.

I set new rules of engagement. 1,2 or 3 and it's over. 3 is rare, 1 has been the undeclared rule of thumb and not everyday any more. The absolute best aspect is no more hangovers and yes it is possible to enjoy oneself on way fewer drinks.

Another thing that came from those moments of reflection is that my choices of what I consume is different. Drinking a whole lot more water daily is but one of the responses. I acquired a taste for local brewed beer and only certain wines. If those choices are not available then I do not drink.

And my wallet is much happier also. And probably my liver is much happier as well.

Then again some bodies can deal with more alcohol than other bodies.

In the meantime enjoy the holidays everyone.

Tom Hilger 5 years, 5 months ago

Even though everyone's broke and no one has money will have no effect on the number of drinkers.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

merrill, excellent post. Thank you for sharing this with us, and give yourself some credit for wanting to do this and carrying though with your decision.

StrangerCreek 5 years, 5 months ago

autie has it right. We're in a depression dummy. Not some setback recession. Look around at all the business doors that are closing. The worst is yet to come.

How do banks make $25 Billion dollars in 10 or 11 months and payback their bailouts? $25 Billion? And just before year end bonus time? The majority of the toxic mortgages are still out there. The worst is yet to come.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 5 months ago

"Leslie/Irish - People don't always intend to drink “a lot of liquor.”"

George: At what point do we expect people to take responsibility for themselves? If you "did't intend" to get plowed, who then is to blame? If I'm smashed, it is MY fault!

Monica Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

So. . .let me make sure I understand this correctly. . .."Gridiron Club raises 4 million" but Tipsy Taxi can't raise even $2000???? Seriously?!?!