Letters to the Editor

Giving heart

December 13, 2009

To the editor:

I met an angel on Wednesday. He was eating a hamburger at Back Yard Burger. He was praying with a friend before he ate. I did the same with my husband. I don’t know if this is why he chose me to be his messenger or if I just looked like someone he could trust.

As I got up to leave, he called me over to his table and asked me if I knew of anyone that was having a hard time this Christmas. It didn’t take long for a young man I work with to come to my mind. He then proceeded to hand me a $100 bill and his friend gave me $40. He told me, “Give this to him.”

I was so overwhelmed by the giving heart of this stranger and his friend. I told him, “I will go right now and give it to him. Can I give a first name?” He only said, “Tell him it’s from the Lord.”

The young man was speechless when I handed him the money. He had tears in his eyes and kept hugging me and saying how much this was going to help for Christmas.

Even in these hard times, I know there are wonderful, giving people in Douglas County, and this man and his friend are proof of that. And to know that they gave from the heart, in the name of our Lord, Jesus.

I want this angel to know that not only did he bless this young man and his family, but he also blessed me and my husband by allowing us to deliver this blessing.

Let’s all keep Christ in Christmas, and we will all be truly blessed.

Comments

wordgenie8 5 years, 5 months ago

I love the biblically-supported idea Terri illustrates in her letter that true kindness and generosity don't seek plaudits or credit. Unfortunately, too many people around Lawrence seem way more interested in stroking their own egos and extorting gratitude and thanks from others than truly being selfless and caring and doing the right thing. They are quite obviously sounding trumpets for their own glory, not caring about the harm and destruction they wreak in the name of self-serving and intrusive "helping":

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before women and men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Mother/Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from women and men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father/Mother who sees in secret will Herself/ Himself reward you openly" (Matthew 6:1-4)

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Folks in the Lawrence area are not too bad. We received an email from a friend with a business expressing a need. The need is two very expensive hearing aids for a young woman who lost hearing over a bout with cancer. Of course insurance will not help her.... not too surprised.

So this email went out to a lot of friends requesting donations to help this hard working young woman who is over loaded with medical bills that which may take the rest of her life to pay back. Not being able to hear well makes it difficult to work.

Yes we will contributing but one person on the email list had such a great year that he is springing for one of the hearing aids @ $2,650 each..... just one more Santa happens to be on the planet. This young woman will have a good new year.

In reality there are a lot of fine people on the planet.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

In times of great need there has always been someone there for me.
There are a lot of good people but we don't hear about them. Thanks for this letter.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

wordgenie8 sums it up nicely. I know so many who make a point to brag when they do something nice for someone in need. I always have to roll my eye (since I only have one that works, not sure where the other one is staring) -.......anyway, great story about giving. Maybe the secret Santa was in town incognito.

wordgenie8 5 years, 5 months ago

It's good to remember that true giving involves respect, equality and a genuine partnership and two-way street between the helper and the helpee. Interactions between strangers obviously rarely meet such enlightened standards and will in fact often in our post 9/11 world evoke a reaction somewhere on the spectrum between mistrust and outright threat and terror. A long -time mentor of mine sent me a "Happy Grinchmas" card in which he wished me relief from all the "yahoos"-- that is the many people in this part of the country who've adopted a mindless code of ethics that allows them to make others the butt of their ignorance by avoiding the clear recognition that appreciation lies in the eye of the beholder and rarely involves intruding on complete strangers with insulting and paternalistic attitudes that only create a hostile, unequal public environment.

1029 5 years, 5 months ago

Bravo to that guy and his partner for being so generous.