Archive for Wednesday, December 9, 2009

State to use stimulus dollars to help low-income families buy appliances

December 9, 2009

— Kansas plans to use $2.6 million in federal stimulus funds to help low-income families buy new, energy-efficient appliances.

The Kansas Housing Resources Corp. says it hopes to issue 4,800 rebate vouchers early next year. Rebates will be from $200 to $800.

The rebates will be toward washers, driers, refrigerators, dishwashers, freezers and window air conditioners. It will not cover furnaces or central air systems, however.

Spokeswoman Catherine Couch says the agency will start by considering rebates for some 1,500 Kansans who were unable to get them under an earlier, non-stimulus program. Then, if funds are left over, it will take applications from others, starting Jan. 19.

Comments

Mike Wagner 5 years ago

I'm all for helping save energy, and I don't mind government money going to help the needy but dishwashers, are you kidding me! Get off you butt and wash your dishes by hand, that will save 100x's more energy!!

ylime3499 5 years ago

bigmike- washing your dishes by hand USES 100x's MORE energy... not saving it... look it up

the money is already gone if they're taking the left over applicants from the last time...

Bobo Fleming 5 years ago

I could use a new dishwasher. Can I apply? No wait, I work and pay my taxes so not eligible.

ralphralph 5 years ago

Will these be appliances "Made in America"? Doubt it. Quit killing our jobs and we can buy our own dishwashers.

Hint: Real Issue = Chinese Goods, produced by quasi-slave labor, with no environmental or worker safety, power by dirty coal plants, bolstered by currency manipulation. ... but that's kind of complicated, so let's give away dishwashers.

Godot 5 years ago

Woo-hoo, another stimulus for China.

energy03 5 years ago

Our state has a deficit. Is anyone surprised? $2.6 million for appliance replacement for low income households. Let me remind you some of these households are the same households that need utility bill assistance whether the appliance is new or not, rent assistance, food assistance. Gosh...I have to agree with senegal66025. My first mistake was believing the myth if you work hard... fact is if you DO... government does nothing for you. I could have set on my behind and been given everything! I have an idea - why not help the elderly FIRST! They already have paid their dues! And to these agencies- what a joke you are. Spend, spend & spend. Under the pretense of caring for those that are less fortunate. It's all about use it (spend it) or lose it.

somedude20 5 years ago

senegal66025 (Anonymous) says… "I could use a new dishwasher. Can I apply? No wait, I work and pay my taxes so not eligible"

Well said!!!

fancy80 5 years ago

just another way to redistribute wealth. these kinds of programs are going on every week. last week was "get up to $900 to get paid up on your rent program". next week, it will probably be "buy your kids PS3 because it's not fair that the rich kids get PS3's and the poor kids don't program".

mom_of_three 5 years ago

although it appears this is just another handout to some of you, there are poor working folks who have old appliances and do not have the money to replace them. We didn't qualify for any of the programs, but so what.....

bendover61 5 years ago

I'm glad to see that my tax dollars are not being wasted.

energy03 5 years ago

Yes , there are poor working folks and working folks and no working folks. Bet you didn't know if you are a landlord renting to poor working folks, your poor working renters can apply for some of this here stimulus money to replace you, the landlord's old appliances. And no...you the poor working folk don't get to keep them there new appliances. Maybe the landlord can charge more rent now that you, the poor working folk helped him get them. Isn't this a great way to "stimulate" the economy? But guess what? You, the poor working folk won't have to pay such high utility bills. Isn't that thoughtful?

Sunny Parker 5 years ago

Ridiculous! I am outraged over this!

If you can't afford a dishwasher, by god wash your dishes by hand! Take your filthy laundry to the laundry mat!

It is not my responsibility to buy anyone anything but myself!

This is socialism people!

Sunny Parker 5 years ago

Do you know how many years it took me to buy a new fridge, stove and dishwasher?

I WORKED FOR THEM ALL!

commuter 5 years ago

Even though in concept this program sounds some what honorable, it is a waste of money. Give the poor more and more what do you get, the poor start getting the attitude that they are "ENTITLED" to get stuff for free that most people have to buy.

Hey Obama- I want a free house, a free Harvard Law education. If you give this to me I will gladly go and be a community organizer for five years.