Archive for Saturday, December 5, 2009

When reporters go, so do the facts

December 5, 2009

— If you ever wondered why God invented the delete button, let me pass along the e-mail that arrived on the wings of various listservs directed at the Mainstream Media.

“How much do we love you?” the author asked the MSM. “Let me count the ways: You lie, omit, distort and skew what otherwise should be unbiased accounts of ALL news, not just what furthers the interests of the ‘fringe left.’”

As my finger hovered over “block sender,” I scanned the list of wrongs. No. 1 was the charge that we, the MSM, had hidden the fact that Bill Ayers was the real author of “Dreams from My Father.”

This myth had been careening around the Internet for some time, but came back to life after a conservative blogger confronted Ayers at an airport. In a fit of snark, Ayers “confessed.” “Michelle asked me to ... I wrote it,” he said, adding, “And if you can prove it we can split the royalties.” GOTCHA!

Let it not be said that right-wing bloggers are encumbered by a sense of humor. Or a fact-checker. Ayers’ authorship was about as true as the drive-a-stake-in-that-rumor that Obama had been born in Kenya. That fantasy was ranked in The New Yorker magazine as somewhere between “a belief in Santa Claus and ‘The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.’”

The birth myth was, in turn, matched by Glenn Beck’s assertion that under Obamacare you could either buy coverage or go to jail. And neck and neck with the fanciful claim by Sarah Palin that health care reform would mean “death panels” for the elderly.

Well, I hold the lack of these truths to be self-evident. Which doesn’t mean they aren’t believed.

My amazement at this grows from a strange, lingering attachment to facts. This is probably a result of having begun as a fact-checker for Newsweek. Facts — along with their enforcers, editors — have long been the guides and saviors of my career that’s more than 46 years long.

Now I’m planning the next phase of my life. This may be why I’m struck by how much hard facts have softened in this time, how much less they seem to matter.

“Truthiness” has exploded alongside a new media that is decidedly not mainstream, that flows into as many rivulets as there are cable channels, points on the radio dial, and unvetted bloggers.

It’s now possible to find a group somewhere in Googleland that will agree with anything. Any outlier can find a tribe and a “fact” — Global warming is a hoax! Evolution is a fraud! — that reinforces his own belief.

There is a sense that we don’t need science or editing or fact-checking as long as we have crowd-sourcing. We don’t have to build opinions on facts; we can build facts on opinions.

This is not just common on blogs but on right-wing talk shows where hosts have gone rogue. What price exactly has Glenn Beck paid for playing loose with facts? Did only Jon Stewart catch Sean Hannity using video from one (large) teabag rally to illustrate another (small) rally?

This fact-free standard is held up (or down) by politicians who follow their lead. Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, for example, isn’t about to challenge those “death panel” believers who rally to his FreedomWorks flag: “If people want to believe that ... it’s O.K. with me.” Whatever.

I’m not suggesting that newspapers — once defined as the first rough draft of history — are without errors. But there are prices to pay and corrections to be made and standards to be met. When was the last time an Internet birther ran a correction or lost his job?

Those of us who have spent our lives in journalism wake up to daily reports of troubles: newsrooms cut, papers bankrupt. My first employer, Newsweek, no longer covers news. My second, the Detroit Free Press, has cut back home delivery. I have watched my third employer, The Boston Globe, grow and shrink.

Hardest of all is to witness the evaporation of a profession that’s been the vetting agent for the “reality-based community.” A craft that has struggled to be right as often and rigorously as possible.

In a 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll last month, readers were asked what professions are likely to disappear. Of the likely candidates, 28 percent chose tobacco farmers, but 26 percent picked newspaper reporters. Only 3 percent thought fact-checkers would become extinct.

Well, I have “news” for you. When the reporters go, so do the facts. And their checkers.

Comments

Defender 4 years, 4 months ago

canyon_wren, I have absolutely every reason to call your honesty into question. You were repeating known lies about the current president just the other day on the 'Has America Lost its Ability to Reason' article.

If you repeat known lies, you are as guilty as the original liar. What part of taking responsibility for your own actions do you not understand?

But that is fine by me, you're only making yourself look bad. Dishonesty doesn't pay, maybe someday you will be old enough to understand.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to LJW on-line, an award-winning forum, canyon and opposeobama........some things never change and Defender is but a small part of what makes this provocative, educational, informative and entertaining (and free) website so alluring. Defender and I understand one another I think at least. wink

Obama is a joke---we all know he is. The methodology used in the defending of him by the left is possibly the pinnacle of the entertainment quality of this award-winning on-line edition of Lawrence Journal World. I'm not saying Defender is a leftist or anything either. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Remember, your opinions and thoughts expressed openly and freely are not lies. And even if they were, the lies that were splattered all over our screens by the far-left and/or Bush haters the past several years can never be trumped. Where is Bush? Not in prison. Not in hearings. He's back at home in Texas. He was a two-term Republican president and the left is still stinging over him.

opposeobama 4 years, 4 months ago

canyon:

"Defender, you are either absolutely NUTS or extremely immature."

From what I have observed thus far with Defender, I don't believe nuts and immature are mutually exclusive.

opposeobama 4 years, 4 months ago

scott:

"Factual contradiction: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09… "

If you believe that poll, I have a trafficway in Lawrence to sell you. I know a lot of Republicans and have yet to meet one who believes Obama was born in Kenya. In fact, the main birther is a liberal Democrats who supported Hillary Clinton. Check the record.

I note that you couldn't counter the Zogby poll that found that 42% of Democrats are truthers.

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

Defender, you are either absolutely NUTS or extremely immature. You can say a lot of other things about me, but you have no reason to even suggest that I am dishonest, so why do you harp on that?--you're like a broken record about it. I can't believe you say the things you do. Pretty weird, is all I can say! I rest my case!

Defender 4 years, 4 months ago

"Defender—if you have read any of MY previous posts over a long period, you will find that I have expressed appreciation for some enlightenment—when it was based on fact—from posters I have disagreed with."

Really? Then why did you bust out the birther bullcrap just a couple of days ago? That has been solved for a very long time, yet you're still holding on to it, really! You do not want to accept facts, just what fits your view, truth or lie.

" If you want to consider my response as opting to “take the high road,” I will accept that as a compliment.

Are you really that dishonest? I said 'pretended' to take the high road, and you completely misquoted me. Lie much, liar? How does your mother feel about your dishonesty? How do you feel about having it exposed? Do you not know that you're making yourself look insane?

"I am and have always been willing to consider an alternate view and sometimes take a Devil's Advocate position just because “folks like you” seem to be so narrow in your focus."

Stating the absolute reverse of what is true does not make it true. Anyone with an IQ of 70 or above can see how completely dishonest that you are. Grow up, and please, learn to debate with facts.

"Other people—like Tom—have better track of facts to back up their position than I do, but that doesn't mean I am wrong—or that my lack of response can be interpreted as my being “bested.”

Actually, it does. If you make claims that you cannot support, then you are a liar. Look it up in the dictionary.

You really shouldn't post here, you'll get torn apart for your dishonesty and hatred for this country.

pace 4 years, 4 months ago

" we have crowd-sourcing" great line. The leaders as well as the led have let popularity polls replace judgment and analysis. So many have let I really feel this way, replace I think .

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

I appreciate your thoughts, Tom--you have a much better grasp of what is going on than I do and I am glad you feel fairly positive about the ultimate outcome.

I'm through for today--have to go rake some leaves before the sun goes down behind the cliffs and the temperature drops.

Enjoy Defender!

Canyon, this is a tough one---Obama that is, too follow and try and sort through what is real and what is not. I'm convinced (not naming names) that we're not getting the straight story from the media. I have faith that America will sort it out though and feel our current direction will lead to a reckoning. Regardless, Obama and his bunch are facing a largely defiant America, and the fight is on. This is by far the most liberal executive and legislative combo we've had in the history of America.

bisky1 4 years, 4 months ago

per ellen "The birth myth was, in turn, matched by Glenn Beck’s assertion that under Obamacare you could either buy coverage or go to jail."

JCT Confirms Failure to Comply with Democrats’ Mandate Can Lead to 5 Years in Jail Friday, November 06, 2009 "Today, Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee Dave Camp (R-MI) released a letter from the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) confirming that the failure to comply with the individual mandate to buy health insurance contained in the Pelosi health care bill (H.R. 3962, as amended) could land people in jail." howbout them facts ellen?

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

Defender--if you have read any of MY previous posts over a long period, you will find that I have expressed appreciation for some enlightenment--when it was based on fact--from posters I have disagreed with. You needn't lump me with "folks like"...whatever. I suspect I am less a "swallower" of propaganda than you are, from the things you have written. If you want to consider my response as opting to "take the high road," I will accept that as a compliment. I am and have always been willing to consider an alternate view and sometimes take a Devil's Advocate position just because "folks like you" seem to be so narrow in your focus.

Other people--like Tom--have better track of facts to back up their position than I do, but that doesn't mean I am wrong--or that my lack of response can be interpreted as my being "bested." Sometimes other posts which criticize those of us who oppose Obama are simply not valuable enough to be worth responding to.

As far as "honesty" goes, I doubt that you know many people who are more concerned with being honest than I am. I may be mistaken many times but I do not act/speak dishonestly.

Defender 4 years, 4 months ago

"Defender's one of my favorite LJW neighbors! "

Tom, sometimes you are one of mine as well. Sometimes you're not. Sure you feel the same way. Have a nice scotch, or whatever you prefer, in my name.

I'll knock one back for you soon!

Defender 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice job deflecting, canyon_wren. When you cannot possibly back up what you say, pretend to take the high road.

What you're really saying is 'defender—I just looked over some of your previous arguments from some time ago and feel pretty uncomfortable about attemting to discredit your criticisms of me, so don't waste any more rhetoric on me, because I am dishonest.'

You have been completely unable to support any of your claims. This not only makes you a liar, but also a bad American. You do not care about this country one iota, just your own warped and mislead political agenda. Your kind wants this country to fail under leadership that you have a partisan bone to pick with. You're incapable of thinking outside that which you have absorbed because it makes you feel good.

I am so sick of folks like yourself. I dislike much of Obama's policies and his performance, but I do not attack him or his predcecessor based on political prejudice of any type.

You, however, do. And do so dishonestly.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

Defender's one of my favorite LJW neighbors!

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

defender--I just looked over some of your previous arguments from some time ago and feel pretty comfortable about disregarding your criticisms of me, so don't waste any more rhetoric on me, okay? You sound like a really antagonistic person, in general, and I seem to be in good company among your victims.

scott3460 4 years, 4 months ago

Sigh

Belief: "I doubt that 1% of Republicans believe Obama was born in Kenya."

Factual contradiction: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/24/birther-poll-42-percent-o_n_298456.html?page=3

opposeobama 4 years, 4 months ago

scott3460:

"And, Tom, what were the looney left claims circa 2000-2008? "

Good Lord, where have you been. Zogby found in 2007 that 42% of Democrats are "truthers." http://hotair.com/archives/2007/09/06/zogby-poll-42-of-democrats-think-bush-caused-911-or-let-it-happen/comment-page-1/

I doubt that 1% of Republicans believe Obama was born in Kenya.

Defender 4 years, 4 months ago

"You can google some of this and find it for yourself."

Yes, canyon_wren, like you I believe everything I read on the internet. A few days ago you spouted out several 'facts' on another story that were immediatly disproven, so yes I will accuse you of spreading conspiracy theories, because you are.

"It's amazing to me that people like you can be so blind and trusting—which is far riskier than imagining a conspiracy."

Says the person that spouted off several disproven conspiracy theories just recently. Do you know how you sound?

"I at least try to follow up on some of the rumors."

No, you try to come up with conspiracy theories to support your agenda. Everyone here can see that, canyon_wren. Seriously.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

Tom, are you going to regurgitate every wingnut email you've gotten over the last nine years?

prolifersforwar 4 years, 4 months ago

I didn't even read this I went straight to the comments. I think the LJWorld should just run headlines followed by comments, which is what is real. Everyone named Ellen is probably a lesbian. And the last name Good Man is a lie because she is a Bad Feminist and liar and I don't read lesbians, liars, or feminists.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." - Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them." - Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country." - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power." - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..." - Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

(cont.)

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

In ref to #6 ---Dem statements. And Bush lied, huh?

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line." - President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." - President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction." - Madeline Albright, Feb 1, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983." - Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." Letter to President Clinton. - (D) Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies." - Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

(cont.)

1. Twin Towers/Bush
  2. Halliburton/Cheney
  3. Nat'l. Guard/Bush
  4. Katrina/Bush/blown-up levies
  5. OBL/Bush (let him go to invade Iraq)
  6. WMD's were a fabrication in order to invade (see Dem statements on record circa 1996-2002)
  7. Bush stole election
  8. Bush/pretzel/booze
  9. Bush drunk at Olympics
  10. Bush stomping on Constitution and turning USA in a dictatorship (very laughable one, especially since Obama is in office) 11.Bush planned Iraq war before he even was sworn in (daddy's revenge)
  11. Bush conspired with UK to invade Iraq
  12. Bush knew 9-11 was going to happen (see 1)
  13. Even though it may be true, very ridiculous: that he continued to read "My Pet Goat" for a whole seven minutes gasp .......7 MINUTES!!!!!?????? (see 1 and 13)

And for your pleasure, scott, make up one of your own!

Oh and yoo-hoo, porchie, get busy "debunking"...........

(laughter)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

Unfortunately, the "paranoid delusions" of the left between 2000-2008 have turned out to be neither paranoid nor delusional. Everything BushCo touched turned to sh*t, and they had their grubby little hands on everything.

scott3460 4 years, 4 months ago

And, Tom, what were the looney left claims circa 2000-2008?

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

"And why would the grownups here care about the opinions and temper tantrums of those who believe such claims without factual basis?"

Again, that 110% applies to the looney left 2000-2008........times 10, to the Nth degree, on steroids. This is the looney right's time, please to not crash our party!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

For Christmas I want Barack Obama and Larry Sinclair to take polygraphs......three simple questions each.

scott3460 4 years, 4 months ago

"I think the title of this column should be reversed. It should read “When the facts go, so do the reporters”!"

This is dangerous territory for you right wing kooks. What are the facts in the propaganda examples cited in Ms. Goodman's opinion piece?

What are the facts that support the claim that Bill Ayers authored Obama's book? Is it limited to the exchange she outlines?

What are the facts in support of Obama's birth in Kenya?

What facts support Beck's claim that citizen's will be jailed for failing to get health insurance?

What facts substantiate Palin's claim that the government will create "death panel?"

If facts don't support those claims, doesn't that only prove Ms. Goodman's assertion. And why would the grownups here care about the opinions and temper tantrums of those who believe such claims without factual basis?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

"Mr. Obama could have whiped out the “birther” controversy very easily. either he wants it to continue so his opposition looks crazy,"

That's ridiculous. The "birthers" ARE crazy, and it's not Obama's responsibility to refute every absurd notion that reverberates around the wing-nut echo chamber.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 4 months ago

A) God didn't invent a delete button. B) or anything else.

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

Tom says

"The lamestream media needs to figure out Americans between Manhattan and Malibu if they want to save their jobs."

That is exactly right!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

"Is anyone going to refute what she is saying or are you all going to just sit there and say “well they did it” without dealing with the fact that without real facts an informed democracy will not work?" GAhawk

To which canyon wren replies:

"I think what we are all saying is that we have ceased to receive the real facts."

Exactly. Very good retort.

And what was 'fact-checked' ad nauseum before by the Elite Corrupt Liberal Obama-Fawning Media now is not.

Take for example, "Going Rogue", which was fact-checked a dozen different ways to Sunday........but The Mack Daddy's books? No, not a single fact check by the Elite Corrupt Liberal Obama-Fawning Media----not one.

And I can not drive this point home enough: Then, ('00-'08) whatever steaming piles of crap poured out of the far-left blogosphere was circulated throughout the lamestream media and cemented into their daily talking points. Now, the same lamestream media is on this mission to debunk any and all info about Mack Daddy and Co. and thereby justify each other's words and actions.

They're all in a fury over Beck, Palin, Hannity, O'Reilly, Rush etc etc.

But funny thing is------have ya' checked the ratings lately. I forced myself to stomach some Olbermann/Maddow for awhile last night (had to stiffen up my highballs first) and I find it hard to see how someone like Goodman can go on a rant like this with a straight face.

Stunning. The lamestream media needs to figure out Americans between Manhattan and Malibu of they want to save their jobs.

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

I think the title of this column should be reversed. It should read "When the facts go, so do the reporters"!

temperance 4 years, 4 months ago

I was too quick handing out stupidity awards. To wit: “does the phrase ‘hide the decline,’ or the phrase ‘we can't account for the lack of warming …’ disprove her assertion about 'global warming' immediately? yes.”

Two phrases (10 words) taken out of context from 1,000 emails “disproves” global warming? That’s toddlers' logic. No wonder no one takes you global warming deniers seriously.

Godot 4 years, 4 months ago

Fortunately, there are still real scientists and journalists in Holland:

Professor Sinninghe Damste’s research, as discussed on the site of the Dutch Organization of Scientific Research (DOSR) — a governmental body — shows that the icecap of Kilimanjaro was not the result of cold air but of large amounts of precipitation which fell at the beginning of the Holocene period, about 11,000 years ago.

The melting and freezing of moisture on top of Kilimanjaro appears to be part of “a natural process of dry and wet periods.” The present melting is not the result of “environmental damage caused by man.” (snip)

DOSR calls Al Gore’s iconic use of the melting cap of Kilimanjaro “unfortunate” — since it now seems to be mainly the result of “natural climate variations.”

The journal Nature published the highly technical article by Professor Sinninghe Damste’s team.

The website of Elsevier magazine — the Netherlands’ most circulated political weekly — broke the news as follows: “Dutchman discredits Al Gore’s climate evidence.”

barrypenders 4 years, 4 months ago

Believers like temperance will say and do anything for other peoples money. Where do I send my money? In past generations of humans it has always been important to payoff the noisy people. Progressive Articulates want money for the Earth's temperature and the PA's demand it.

The Poser's quote: "Money is not the only answer, but it makes a difference."

Stimulus, C.L.a P. and Posercare lives unprecedented

Darwin bless you

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

defender--don't accuse me of "conspiracy" theories! You can google some of this and find it for yourself. Check out the University of East Anglia site. You won't find any refutation of the "rumors" about the hacked manipulation of the climate data. It's amazing to me that people like you can be so blind and trusting--which is far riskier than imagining a conspiracy. I at least try to follow up on some of the rumors.

Good comments, gnome. I always appreciate your insights.

My dad was a veteran newsman and would certain be appalled at what passes for "impartial reporting" now.

temperance 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe global warming deniers would have more success if they didn’t call the stolen emails “Climategate.” Since Watergate, any controversy with “-gate” attached to it signals a manufactured hissy fit. Remember “Travel Gate?” “Troopergate?”

Using a dozen stolen emails to prove a global warming conspiracy is like taking an incorrectly dated fossil as proof of creationism. It’s actually worse because the stolen emails didn’t really show anything. In the words of conservative Charles Johnson, “There’s no there there.” If I stole a thousand of your work emails, do you think I’d be able to take a dozen sentences out of context to make it look like you’re not doing your job? In the words of conservative Sarah Palin, “you betcha!”

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

so, because EG says it is not a hoax, it is not a hoax?
does the phrase "hide the decline," or the phrase "we can't account for the lack of warming ..." disprove her assertion about 'global warming' immediately? yes. Global warming is a hoax.

as I have posted elsewhere, Mr. Obama could have whiped out the "birther" controversy very easily. either he wants it to continue so his opposition looks crazy, or else there's really something because his birth is recorded by a witness statement instead of observation of live birth and he has never told us which hospital he was born in. oh, his grandmother and half-bro say he was born in Kenya, too. because EG says so, we should just ignore these three stubborn facts?

death panels, well there was the little matter of the government panel that recommended drastic reductions in mamogram screning for breast cancer, and Mr. Obama's health insurance scandal (which will actually increase premiums according to CBO) will give such panels the force of law. yes, the dems were caught in that and passed a specific, hypocritical, stopgap fix, but the overall laws as proposed empower such panels that would decide who gets care and what the rate of death will be.

Oh, there's the problem EG overlooks: her newspapers are shrinking and losing readers/ad revenue...because we're generally going elsewhere for information. suppose she agrees with the Obamanoids that want the government to support newspapers with a bailout?

opposeobama 4 years, 4 months ago

"Why there are even some right-wing kooks out there that would dare to question global warming and evolution. We all know these are both backed up by solid, irrefutable, reproducable, scientific facts. It's just funny that she is the worst example of exactly what she is railing against."

That's not true. All there is thus far is a "consensus" regarding global warming. There is no proof. A consensus a "collective opinion." Science does not ental opinions.

Also, there are thousands of scientists who dispute that there is global warming and/or that global warming is caused by man. Here is a Senate report that mentions several hundred of those scientists:

barrypenders 4 years, 4 months ago

It's not amazing that Progressive Articulate C.L.a P. supporters like the reporter of this article, Ellen, and the likes of Eldrick Woods or Max Baucus, still attack Bush constantly. It's always about Bush with these supporters. Bush excites them.

Stimulus, C.L.a P. and Posercare lives unprecedented

Darwin bless you all

Defender 4 years, 4 months ago

Then post the real ones, canyon_wren. You are one of the worst about holding on to conspiracy theories around here.

farfle 4 years, 4 months ago

Where are we getting real facts georgiahawk? Not from the mainstream media. Not from snopes not from FactCheck (Annenburg foundation, former employer of Obama.)

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

georgiahawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Is anyone going to refute what she is saying or are you all going to just sit there and say "well they did it" without dealing with the fact that without real facts an informed democracy will not work? You guys need to just grow up!

farfle 4 years, 4 months ago

What a joke. The mainstream media criticising "Googleland?" The internet is now the legitimate news source. I don't believe anything the MSM puts out.

ChrisNyberg 4 years, 4 months ago

Its hard to imagine the newspaper biz going down the drain with articles like this. Great work Ellen. You must have stayed up late with this one.

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 4 months ago

The LJWorld carries many champions of the Left: Ellen Goodman, Leonard Pitts, Garrison Keillor, Scott Rothschild, the AP and McClatchey News Service.

At least we get George Will and Cal Thomas once in a while.

quik 4 years, 4 months ago

BigPrune 4 years, 4 months ago

I saw the headline then I read the author. I couldn't read the whole thing. Was it another reaffirming article from some pinko commie writer justifying their love for the Loser in office?

Speaking of Climategate, when are any of the big three (ABC, NBC, CBS) going to broadcast on television about the leaked emails? How many weeks has it been, now? I forgot, the left leaning media is a myth.

canyon_wren 4 years, 4 months ago

It sounds like the media are going to be forced to divulge the truth about the manipulation of the climate change data, in spite of themselves, --though I trust them to find SOME way to make that issue sound like a lie. Ultimately, there will be things they can't cover up, regardless of what pressure is put on them.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

And I should've mentioned the obvious: the internet was a source of gospel for the Elite Liberal Bush Loathing/Obama Worshiping Media----now, of course, it's all hogwash. Really? As more talk of an (R) congress not being out of the realm of possibility pretty soon, I hope to see some "truths" come out about Obama. Currently, any corruption, no matter how minor or severe, is overseen by the same corrupt bunch. What more could we uncover???

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

Ain't it wonderful that members of the Liberal Elite Obama Supporting Media now, post-Bush, stick up for and protect each other? This is trendy, kind of like how members on this forum as of since last November, constantly call for civility and respect for "the highest office" while discussing Obama. Did you see any civility from the left, namely the far-left fringe element 00-08? Notsamuch.

No, I'll not forget the Bush years----never. The rancorous atmosphere, myriad of conspiracy theories and assumptions, name-calling----all of it. We have a right to examine every bit of information about Obama and his past----his wife too. Get used to it and get over it Ellen Goodman.