Archive for Friday, December 4, 2009

Self comments on Mangino resignation

Kansas head coach Bill Self watches the action from the bench during the second half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

December 4, 2009

Here’s Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self’s take on Jayhawk football coach Mark Mangino’s resignation:

“I haven’t spoken with him yet. I’m sure I will at some point in time — soon I hope,” Self said Friday in Allen Fieldhouse. “That’s obviously a unique situation. I don’t know if there are any winners in the situation. I certainly feel bad for Mark and his staff from a personal standpoint. There’s no question about it.

“I think all coaches always feel bad when a situation like that occurs. I think that’s the natural reaction. On the flip side, I have total faith in our administration as well. I hope somehow it can be a win/win for everybody certainly. I don’t know if that’s the case or will be the case. I think only time will tell. I certainly respect the job Mark and his staff have done. There’s no question about that.”

Comments

gsxr600 5 years ago

Sounds good to me. I agree there are no winners in this situation.

newmedia 5 years ago

Lighten up Larry. Life is too short... Try and have a good day !!

ObiWan 5 years ago

Larry, I think you mean that Coach Self should have taught Mangino how to behave with class. Since Coach Self arrived, he has treated everyone in town with respect, from his players and assistants to the people that serve him food and fix his car. I've never heard of him harrassing parking attendants that earn minimum wage or phyically abusing his players. Your post must refer to a dream you had.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

I'm sure Larry Native has years of personal experience working for major universities both in coaching and as an administrator. Certainly this bit of insight is from first hand experience.

kujayhawk 5 years ago

No need for Self to do that, Lew is below Self. Self could get Lew fired quicker than Lew could get Self fired.

fuel_for_the_fire 5 years ago

"Lew is below Self. Self could get Lew fired quicker than Lew could get Self fired."

This is absolutely false.

hikenbike 5 years ago

We don't ever want another Al Bohl-Roy Williams situation. Ever.

Robert Rauktis 5 years ago

Self could have Lewser gone yesterday if he wished...faster than the chancellor. But he has some talent and a personality beyond card shuffling and bean counting.

RockyInn 5 years ago

Bill is bigger than Lew is every aspect. Bill has a very even temperament and will take time to speak to anyone. Lew is a narcissistic clown. I've seen his family members turn away quickly after he barks at people. They were obviously embarrassed by his behavior. He should not be representing KU. Lew is a classless small man. I think we know why he's bitter.

Fire Lew Perkins NOW!!!

walkingonwater 5 years ago

I have to admit - I am ready to see Lew gone. For whatever may be said of his accomplishments as an AD, he has changed KU, from the re-shuffling of seating at Allen Fieldhouse to the general tone of the athletic department. And, sure I would welcome new leadership in football, someone with Self's sense of community and, yeah, I would like to see a winning season that did not rely on lesser teams to beat.

Linda Aikins 5 years ago

raw 5 years ago

Wish Lew would have resigned.

jumpin_catfish 5 years ago

Coaches come and go including Self someday. Bill sounds like the typically company man with total faith in the administration stuff. Enough drama already. Move on!

HogJiver 5 years ago

With the loss of Coach Mangino, the school sure has some big pants to fill. Bring back Fambrough.

roggy 5 years ago

Rocky - not sure what you have seen but I think Lew is a class act. I have been around him a lot and he is a very kind, caring man that wants the best for KU athletics. I'm not saying that mistakes haven't been made along the way but overall this AD has done a great job. We wouldn't have the facilities that we have today and we probably wouldn't have played in the Orange Bowl without Lew. A bowl, yes, but it was Lew with his connections and working the phones that got us into the Orange Bowl.

StrangerCreek 5 years ago

Fambrough? He supported Mangino's style. Sort of like out of the pan and into the fire I'd say. Plus he didn't have much of a winning record either. How do people think coaches with barley 50%+ winning records are so great? A 65%+ win/loss ratio is my idea of a winner. Weather forecasters do better actually. "Might rain tomorrow, might not..."

greenworld 5 years ago

Anybody know anything about KU's baseball team. Didnt they do good this last yr. Seems like everybody forgets about all the other sports other then Ku basketball and football. What a joke against any other athletes at Ku.