Letters to the Editor

Poor service

December 1, 2009

To the editor:

Earlier this year I sought to obtain a copy of my KU transcripts for another school. I had assumed that in this very digital age, such a transaction would proceed efficiently. Secure information transfers are routinely done by banks and other businesses. How surprising, then, to encounter the 19th century quaintness of the requirement to present myself in Strong Hall, provide identification and a cash payment there. It was as if I were commissioning a mule team to transfer the documents.

It would have seemed logical for the institution claiming a pre-eminent role in the intellectual affairs of this state to manage such requests at the cutting edge of technology and efficiency. What sort of example does this provide for students seeking degrees in related areas of business and technology? And how does this reflect on faculty and administration purported to guide Kansas to the summit in these arenas?

It is sadly appropriate that the transcript request was for a community college offering the state’s only credible continuing education in wind energy technology. It is well documented that community colleges have matured into a role providing timely and appropriate course work that the university system either cannot or will not provide.

I used to laugh about the “Snob Hill” designation for KU so often heard as I grew up. It seemed the product of jealousy. How sad for my former pride in my KU degrees to transform into sheepish embarrassment at this failure in such a basic area.

Comments

Cait McKnelly 5 years ago

Sorry Mr. Hamill, upgrading KU to the 20th century takes money the legislature doesn't want to give. Now if it had been an application for a sports scholarship....

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

ilovetocook, I got onto the KU web page and found the link you posted. Go figure!

mom_of_three 5 years ago

Way to complain about something that you didn't check on first.

temperance 5 years ago

"How surprising, then, to encounter the 19th century quaintness of the requirement to present myself in Strong Hall,"

Well, he certainly didn't learn effective writing at KU.

Seriously, with all that's going on in the world, this guy decides to write a 250 word lament about the inconvenience of retrieving his college transcripts? Weak. Very weak.

temperance 5 years ago

"and start holding KU accountable???" Yes, it's a travesty that someone named Chris Hammill didn't read the KU website carefully enough to know that he could order transcripts online. What on earth was KU thinking?

"They can build new buildings, sports complex's. . ." What's next? Are you going to blame KU for your atrocious apostrophe usage?

avoice 5 years ago

He's from Baldwin City. They don't worry too much about syntax and grammatical usage there.

9070811 5 years ago

Yikes, avoice, way to pick on Baldwin City and generalize the whole population. Did you know that Baker University resides there?

Boeing 5 years ago

Epic fail. I have requested transcripts both for the Master's in Engineering I am about to finish, and for the next Master's I start up next fall...never set foot inside Strong Hall. The Internet is your friend, friend!

KawHawk 5 years ago

KU has always been last in the country when it comes to online enrollment, online transcripts, automating the research sector, automating anything.

Did you know it takes WEEKS for a local vendor to get paid by KU ? Yes, I have personal experience with this. Multiple times. Sometimes taking up to 8 weeks or more, while we squirm like worms on a hook with regards to our cashflow.....

Bladerunner 5 years ago

He, uses, apostrophes, like, Captain, Kirk!

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

LOL @ temperance. dude, you're effing hilarious. :)

1029 5 years ago

Well, boo hoo, Chris. Sorry you apparently had such a rough day. Was it the traffic? Was it a hassle to find a parking space close enough so that your legs wouldn't get tired? Was the line too long? Did you get hassled by your employer for taking time off? Oh, what a tragedy...

classclown 5 years ago

Bladerunner (Anonymous) says…

He, uses, apostrophes, like, Captain, Kirk!

===============================

Those are commas dude.

Kirk Larson 5 years ago

FAIL. I went over the registrar's instructions and I don't see where he was required to go pick it up. It seems more like the letter writer can't follow directions or has trouble with reading and comprehension. Or maybe he doesn't have a computer and had to deal over the phone?

devochka 5 years ago

The ability to order transcripts electronically from Strong Hall is a new service. Previously, one would have to print out a form or obtain one from the registrar's office. The letter writer notes that he obtained a transcript "earlier this year". It could well have been before it was possible to order transcripts electronically.

parrothead8 5 years ago

If he did it "earlier this year" before the electronic transcript ordering system was effective, I guess he felt really strongly about it to wait until December to write a letter.

Matthew Herbert 5 years ago

Can we just universally agree that this entire letter to the editor was incorrect? Nice work Chris.