Archive for Monday, August 31, 2009

KU swine flu update

August 31, 2009

Swine flu decreases at KU

The number of swine flu cases at KU declined over the weekend for the first time since mid-August. Enlarge video

Swine Flu Pandemic

An outbreak of H1N1 Swine Flu was reported in Mexico in April 2009. By the end of May, it had spread across the U.S., with all 50 states reporting cases.

The latest count of Kansas University students with flu-like symptoms is down to 291 students. On Saturday, that number was 313.

KU spokesman Todd Cohen said in an e-mail on Sunday that it is the first decline in the number since the start of classes.

CNN is scheduled to air a report tonight by medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen on university responses to H1N1. The report will air during “Anderson Cooper 360” starting at 9 p.m. today.

Cohen and a CNN crew were on campus Friday to interview students and administrators about KU’s approach to the disease, especially the emphasis on isolation of students who are ill.

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

being on CNN, wonder if they'll throw in some sexual vulgarities to put down average americans expressing their opinions.

or, wonder if Cohen will turn it into a love/fluff piece on Mr. Obama.

I am concerned at the rush to declare that the numbers are going down at KU. it is possible this number just fluctuated due to sampling/stat effects. in other words, the number change doesn't look that significant.

furthermore, there's an incubation period between exposure and symptoms. fri/sat you had over 300 students with possible flu. each of them could spread it. I wonder if in a week the number will be at 400.

Boston, that's quite a list from our resident swine flu expert who faithfully watches the 'trade routes!'

In June, I was very sick for three or four weeks with respiratory being most of the symptoms. now, I wonder if I had the flu. yes, I have chronic health issues.

blindrabbit 4 years, 7 months ago

If the swine flu breakout at KU is real why do I hear about it on CNN-Anderson Cooper and not in the LJW. Elizabeth Cohen (CNN medical correspondent) was at KU on Friday, August 28th to report the issue and obviously knew about the issue much earlier; but little or no info. locally.

booklover 4 years, 7 months ago

Hmmm. Whitedog was that you? Is that why you are no longer teaching?

;) (sorry, I just couldn't resist. back to lurking now)

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

When I worked at the U, one professor would have any sick kid bring in a note from the doc. The idiot would tell them to bring it to the office that day and give it to staff. We saw green snot and feverish kids. He didn't see them untill they were well and then didn't believe the doc's note anyway because he knew everything. The staff finally refused the immediate note idea when we all came down at once with the flu. We suggested he take the notes himself. He said we were state employees and were supposed to do what he said. We said he was a state employee and should do his own work. Since running around when you are sick and visiting offices spreads it. get over your fear that one of them might not be sick. Have them do the work. if they are slackers and liars they probably won't be in school next year. You pouting and trying to decide if someone is sick because of your past is plain stupid. No reason to intimadate kids into showing up when they are sick because of your emotional hysteria that someone might call in without being sick enough.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 7 months ago

WhiteDog,

If you are or were a professor then that makes your statements all the more ridiculous. Did you not expect those students who missed your class to still complete assignments? Did you not require them to make special arrangements ahead of time if they were unable to make a test? Every professor I had during my undergraduate as well as my graduate degree had these or similar requirements. Bottom line is, if someone skips class they can do that regardless if they have the flu or want to play video games in their dorm room. The same "repercussions" apply to both situations. Being sick is and never has been a get out of jail free card. I hope every puking, viral, infected student shows up to your class and you get sick too.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 7 months ago

White Dog just wants to increase the cost of health care by increased testing.

benfongturez 4 years, 7 months ago

As a current KU student, who just got out of class twenty minutes ago, and having received the messages from my professors....

If I want to skip class did you know I don't need a doctor's slip, an appointment, or even an excuse? There are hundreds of kids in the majority of my classes so if you are not there, it really doesn't make any difference to anyone but you. This is not high school where you are on lock down. I skip class from time to time, and I don't use the swine flu excuse to do it. A lot of us also pay for the education we are receiving here, thus we care about the future payoff of such a large financial investment.

I as well have many friends here who are at home miserably sick, trust me they would rather be in class this early in the semester, as it truly is crucial to your grade. Starting a tough class a week behind is academic suicide.

ksdivakat 4 years, 7 months ago

Ok so heres what I was told, maybe it will shed some light on the mystery. My 16 y/o has it, or I should say had it last week, I took her to the DR on Friday as she missed 3 days of school, and day 3 means trip to the DR, and the DR told me that the health Dept was recommending that they dont test for it anymore, and the reason is, that if the person comes up positive, then they HAVE to give them the H1N1 shot and its just not ready yet, there are none out there to be had yet. I asked my daughters DR how the WHO or CDC was supposed to "track" this if they werent testing and she just shrugged her shoulders. She said its viral, 3-5 days, needs to run its course ,and they arent giving medication unless the person is hospitalized. Luckily, my daughter is a healthy girl, but had she had a compromised immune system, she might not have weathered it so well. So that was the scoop I got from the DR. Take what you will from it.

WhiteDog 4 years, 7 months ago

Let's see if I can hit some of the highlights of excuses I was given by college students (and yes, they were all KU students) over the years.

"I couldn't come to work last week because I was so upset that I had smelled someone smoking marijuana in a room down the hall from my in Hashinger Hall. I got scared, and moved back home for awhile."

"My little brother was caught shoplifting, and my mother made me stay home to watch him to make sure he didn't do it again."

or my favorite,

"But you HAVE to let me make up the past two weeks of classwork -- I was on my HONEYMOON!!!"

Yeah, none of these kids could possibly pretend on the phone to have flu-like symptoms.

WhiteDog 4 years, 7 months ago

I've attended, worked for, and/or taught at KU for the past 27 years. When attending, I lived in on-campus housing with dozens of other students on my floor or in my hall. When working, I managed 15 to 18 students a semester, and in the years I taught, I had 50 to 75 students per semester in my classes.

Want to try again?

BigPrune 4 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if this flu has been around Lawrence for a couple of months already.

I remember that cryptosporidium illness a few years back. The KU swim team had it but it didn't make the papers for a few weeks.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 7 months ago

White Dog, I guess the college students you know must not go to KU or they are as misinformed as you are. As a recent student I can tell you that not going to class is a serious thing. Even if attendance is not required there are certainly repercussions of missing class. And whether you go or not, your homework must still be completed on time and turned in, and the tests are scheduled on the syllabus the first day of class, you still have to be there to take it or make other arrangements. I'm sure there are always people out there who will abuse the system but I am more inclined to give these kids the benefit of the doubt. If you were a student or professor you wouldn't want these kids in your class making you and other students sick.

WhiteDog 4 years, 7 months ago

I guess I just know different college students than you do, because I know several who are extremely capable of pretending on the phone to have flu-like symptoms in order to get out of classes for a time with little or no repercussions.

echarles 4 years, 7 months ago

WhiteDog.....

You are grossly misinformed, and so are the other posts that want everyone to be tested.

Two weeks ago I woke up with a 103 fever, dry cough, and body aches like I've never had. I went to the emergency room because my infectious asthma was flaring up and I couldn't breathe.

I was obviously very sick. SO, they tested me for influenza and my Type A came back positive. Guess what. That is as far as the CDC has told doctors to go. The likelihood that I had some other form of Type A flu other than Swine was nonexistent.

They aren't testing because they know these kids have the flu by there symptoms. No reason to shove a swab up the nose when you can diagnose clinically.

WhiteDog 4 years, 7 months ago

moderationman (Anonymous) says…

As a student/employee that had flu symptoms this past week, this is not something being used as an easy out of classes. These kids are sick.

Well, goodness, moderationman, if you actually know all 313 of the sick kids, it's no wonder you had flu symptoms this past week. I'm sure at least some of them actually have the flu -- swine or otherwise. Too bad, since they're not getting tested, that we'll never know for sure.

beastshawnee 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh come-on. You are in college. Going to class is your free choice, flu or no flu. And this time of year there are always lots of colds, flu's etc going around, probably more this year because it's been colder and we are indoors sneezing on each other. But yes, you are going to get the swine flu. No big deal most of the time. But some might die like me who has health issues. Good Luck.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 7 months ago

(p.s. That was Marion talking to us last Spring!)

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

I think you guys might be the same ones that claimed wmds to start a war, denied global warming, blamed the economic crisis on Obama, think not reforming health care will save money? Now you don't believe in the flu. lie to your self once, shame on you, lie to your self continually and be considered the generation of Americans that faced problems with cowardice and fear.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 7 months ago

Where is our public health expert this morning? Too much weekend Grey Goose?

I think we're in for it with this one. - Marion S. Lynn — I concur but also expect that one or the other of the flus or hemoragic fevers is going to take care of that matter for us and in the not too distant future. - Marion S. Lynn _ I would be out trying to find some masks and thinking about preparation as this situation is going downhill fast.- Marion S. Lynn _ If you get locked out, no one may let you in.- Marion S. Lynn _ Got YOUR masks yet?- Marion S. Lynn _ Why is the US/Mexican border not closed?- Marion S. Lynn _ Get your N95s while you still can.- Marion S. Lynn _ There are still N95s on a few store shelves.- Marion S. Lynn _ Essentially, you are on your own- Marion S. Lynn _ See, the thing is about flu and other diseases is that they can run and run hard. _ N95 masks are still available but will most likely be sold out in a few days - Marion S. Lynn

donald_gilchrist 4 years, 7 months ago

This is the biggest load of b.s.I've ever heard. If you're not going to test the students, or others, for that matter, then how is anyone going to know if there really is an epidemic? The staff at KU has been instructed to tell students to stay home (or away from class) if they have the slightest signs of a symptom. The students have taken this to be a free pass out of any class they don't want to go to. Get a clue.

Gootsie 4 years, 7 months ago

What a deal. They make it sound like we have a bovine epidemic here but haven't lab-tested most of them? Are they trying to ruin the reputation of our wonderful state?

spiff 4 years, 7 months ago

Yea, I had a hangover over the weekend also. Bump it up to 292.

Bruce Bertsch 4 years, 7 months ago

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Snap, but no, I haven't seen Marion this morning.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

If you see a sneezing pig, turn upwind and run as fast as you can.

twinetowngirl 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes Whitedog, they are not tested or confirmed. Easy out of classes? maybe.....

WhiteDog 4 years, 7 months ago

These are college students with self-reported "flu-like symptoms", right? Not actually tested and confirmed cases of H1N1?

bobberboy 4 years, 7 months ago

Obviously KU students need more frequent hand washing.