Bottom line: City commissioners will consider a plat for a single-family home at 427 Country Club Court.
Background: Several neighbors of the property have objected to development plans. They contend that adding another driveway to the area will create a safety problem on the street. They also are concerned about the loss of trees. The city’s engineer has said sight distance study shows the driveway can be safely added.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Waive bidding requirements and approve the sole source purchase of five Motorola MW 810 Mobile Data Computers for the Police Department from Topeka FM for $26,469.
b.) Award bid for one sign truck with options for the Public Works Department to Laird Noller Automotive for $52,989.
c.) Award bid for the Union Pacific train depot roof replacement for the Parks and Recreation Department to Davidson Roofing Inc. for $29,849.
d.) Approve sale of surplus vehicles on GovDeals.com.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a.) Ordinance No. 8436, amending Section 4-117 of the City Code to allow sales at retail of alcoholic liquor at the farmers market as authorized by Kansas law.
b.) Ordinance No. 8450, incorporating by reference the Standard Traffic Ordinance for Kansas Cities.
c.) Ordinance No. 8451, replacing Ordinance No. 8426, for the rezoning (Z-4-6-09) of 135 and 137 Pawnee Ave. from RS5 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RSO (Single-Dwelling Residential-Office). This ordinance is being readopted with a new ordinance number because the conditions of approval were not included in the ordinance previously adopted on first and second reading and a subsequent ordinance approved on first reading on Aug. 11 has been revised to more accurately reflect the Planning Commission-recommended conditions of approval.
d.) Ordinance No. 8446, for the rezoning (Z-5-10-09) of approximately .981 acres at 1223 E. 23rd St., from CS (Commercial Strip) & RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to CS (Commercial Strip) for Orscheln Farm & Home.
e.) Ordinance No. 8447, for the rezoning (Z-5-7-09) of approximately .735 acres at 1547 E. 23rd St., from RS10 (Residential/Commercial) to CS (Commercial Strip).
f.) Ordinance No. 8448, for Special Use Permit (SUP-5-7-09) for the addition of a drive-through window for an eating and drinking establishment in the CN-2 Zoning District Wakarusa Market Place, at 1520 Wakarusa Drive, Suite A-B.
g.) Joint City Ordinance No. 8415/County Resolution 09-21, for Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPA-3-2-09) for revisions to Horizon 2020 Chapter 4-Growth Management and Chapter 6-Commercial Land Use to expand the possible locations of conference, recreation, or tourism facility uses in the rural area of Douglas County.
• Approve request from the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission to reallocate approximately $12,000 of budgeted 2009 funds designated for the Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit to an effort to improve community awareness of arts activities in the community.
• Authorize the city manager to execute an extension of lease agreement for Health Care Access to extend the current lease agreement until Oct. 31, 2014.
• Authorize city manager to sign memorandum of agreement with the Federal Aviation Administration concerning navigation aid facilities supporting the Municipal Airport.
• Receive report from Sister Cities Advisory Board outlining activities to date regarding exploration of third sister city relationship.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider authorizing the city manager to enter into an agreement with L.G. Barcus & Sons Inc. for $2.2 million for repairs to Bowersock Dam. Consider authorizing contingency expenditures for $170,000 and consider authorizing a total project maximum expenditure not to exceed $2.45 million.
• Consider an appeal of the Planning Commission’s approval of a preliminary plat for Fifth Street Bluff Subdivision, including variances related to dedication of rights-of-way and frontage, a 0.29 acre subdivision consisting of one lot, located at 427 Country Club Court and accept dedication of easements for PP-04-01-08. Submitted by JMC Construction Inc., property owner of record.
• Review staff report concerning city policies for the selection of professional service contracts for the city.