Archive for Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sunflower Broadband subscribers report phishing attack

August 22, 2009

Several Sunflower Broadband subscribers reported Saturday afternoon that they'd received e-mails asking them to confirm their account and provide their account usernames and password.

According to Sunflower officials, the e-mail is part of a phishing attack -- or an effort to obtain users' private financial data -- and should be ignored.

This particular e-mail is a variation on a common e-mail that users of numerous e-mail services have received over the years. This particular e-mail usually includes the follow passage:

We regret to announce to you that we will be making some vital maintenance on our webmail.sunflower.com database. During this process you might have login problems in signing into your Online account, but to prevent this you have to confirm your account immediately after you receive this notification.

Sunflower Broadband said it would not ask for users' information via e-mail. More information about phishing attacks is available from Sunflower Broadband's Web site.

Sunflower Broadband is owned by The World Company, which also owns LJWorld.com.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

That sounds so peculiar to me the way that is is worded, I can't imagine anyone falling for it. Maybe when new users sign up the people at Sunflower should make sure they know how and when Sunflower would contact them for information.

shorttrees 5 years, 6 months ago

But they can't do that, Irish, 'cuz it would make sense.

headdoctor 5 years, 6 months ago

tanaumaga 5 years, 6 months ago

phishing scam or not , sunflower sucks compared to what other cities can get....help me obi at&t, your our only hope.....

overthemoon 5 years, 6 months ago

Are you kidding? I get these ALL the time!

I forward them to the fraud dept of what ever inst they are impersonating.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 6 months ago

I've got a special going on today, $50 instead of the standard $100.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

I was one Sunflower user who received these, two of them, one in the mid day, one just a couple hours ago.

I called, the CSR said they had a notice on the Sunflower website.

wow man, that's real effective notification.

these techy dudes, they have my e-mail address, couldn't they send a two-line note saying "users are receiving ... . please forward to us and do not respond to them!

blast e-mails...hmmm, they've been around for, uh, two decades or more!

Okay, Irish, if you send me $29.85, I have a Billy Mays special. you can get a bucket of Orangeglow, plus I'll explain the phishing to you!
please just send: your date of birth, bank account number, mother's maden name, your birthplace, your social security number so I can protect you from fraud, your address and phone number, and your shoe size.
you will receive prompt and secure service. signed, the Sunflower service team /gnome

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

P.S. I did already know it was phishing when I called the CSR.

One of my favorite Gene Autry songs, updated: It's my lazy day

Well, I might-a-gone phishin', I been thinkin' it over The road to the interweb is a mighty long way It must be the season, no rhyme or no reason Just takin' it easy, it's my lazy day.

Well, never mind callin' 'cause I ain't a-comin' Just pass on by me - stay out of my way 'Cause a little deep thinkin' might drive me to drinkin' Just takin' it easy, it's my lazy day.

I'm findin' it easy to mind my own business I'm keepin' my nose out of ev'ryone's way I'm takin' no orders, ain't hirin' no people Just takin' it easy, it's my lazy day.

Just takin' it easy, it's my lazy day.

Note: From old movie, " Riders of the Whistling Pines

redmoonrising 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't imagine anyone is dumb enough to fall for one of these and give out information. Get them all the time and report them to the service they reportedly came from as spam or spoof.

verity 5 years, 6 months ago

Everybody should know by now that:

1) You never, ever, ever, put ANY confidential information in an email. Email is not secure.

2) No organization will ever ask for your account information in an email or over the phone. They have your account information and don't need your password to get it.

Sunflower shouldn't have to tell people this, although it probably is in the contract somewhere.

verity 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh, Mach, if only it were that simple. But don't get me started.

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

And don't forget, we who are over 40 are losing up to 10,000 brain cells daily, therefore..... we ... have ....... trubble.. retaneing...... ......uh..... impottent... I mean ....important... ..uh

What was the question?

verity 5 years, 6 months ago

Roe, I don't know about the loss of brain cells; I do know that the so-called scientific fact that we heard for so many years that we don't make new brain cells has been proven to be false and I have known people over 100 years of age who still had pretty sharp minds.

I attribute the problem to the fact that people just aren't taught to think.

But I'm getting off-topic.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

Maniac, remember: its shiney side out!

I haven't heard of any black helicopter involvement in the effort to corrupt our precious bodily fluids via the interweb, ... yet.

not fluoride, schools are not teaching what they ought to be teaching any more.

I agree, the phishing should be obvious to people. but it doesn't require passing an IQ test to do e-mail or get on the interweb.

Peaty Romano 5 years, 6 months ago

I get them all the time too but yesterday at one point I was getting about one every three minutes. It's filling up my junk box...

compmd 5 years, 6 months ago

Machiavelli_mania (Anonymous) says…

"I think this is related to the internet server problems a week or so ago. At that time, an default email program I never use (!) was opened up. Also the camera on my computer came on without my commands. There is more here than meets the eyes and ears."

This has nothing to do with the routing problems experienced by Level3. The description of your problems indicates your computer is suffering from pebkac errors, of type ID-10T.

Stop clicking punch the monkey, wipe your machine, and get an antivirus program. I hate AT&T as well, for technical and business reasons, but whatever happened at the Level3 NOC wasn't due to any malfeasance, just someone screwing up. Much like how Sunflower didn't do capacity planning in case one of their uplinks failed.

I think Sunflower made a mistake by notifying users of the scam using a website. If a Windows user clicks a scam email attachment that modifies their hosts file, then going to, for example, notify.sunflower.com could be redirected using local rules on the affected computer, allowing the attacker to show the user a site that says "everything is fine, do what the email says" while the user sees a site that appears to belong to Sunflower.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

Okay, Gnome here it is: your date of birth, 3-21-1997 bank account number, 66666666666666 mother's maden name, Doe your birthplace, Isla Nubla, Costa Rica your social security number so I can protect you from fraud, 666 666 6666 your address and phone number, Number 4, Privet Drive, Little Whinging in Surrey, England +44 20 7379 4737 and your shoe size. 3 The check is in the mail.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

Compmd: I think Sunflower made a mistake by notifying users of the scam using a website. If a Windows user clicks a scam email attachment that modifies their hosts file, then going to, for example, notify.sunflower.com could be redirected using local rules on the affected computer, allowing the attacker to show the user a site that says “everything is fine, do what the email says” while the user sees a site that appears to belong to Sunflower.

---absolutely right. notice on a website is a really lame way to respond to this!

you wanna contribute to Mania's foilhat fund? I think the one she's got now is malfunctioning.

hey Irish: that's a mighty small shoe size...your parents bind your feet when you were a littlin'?
according to the social security's security database, you are an illegal alien, with that social security number, and Juan an agent from ICE will be delivering the tub of Kaboom to you.

but because of your prompt response, you will also get a free picture book of Billy Mays' life! in that book is a DVD containing all of his ads ever recorded. enjoy, Juan.

jjt 5 years, 6 months ago

Actually its Little Whinging in the Marsh, Surrey, England.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

Beo: beobachter (Anonymous) says…

Assuming I was stupid enough to fall for this, what good would my account info and login do someone? Are they going to pay my bill for me?

---thought you work in IT.

sort of obvious the answer: gain access to e-mail accounts. lots of personal information in e-mails. plus, access to account info, more personal information.

people do make criminal money phishing, why do you think they try it? as a hobby???

plus some hackers can bot the e-mail accounts for the use in attacks, though more often its viruses that allow for the botting of computers.