Archive for Thursday, August 20, 2009

More families in Lawrence being forced into homelessness

Shelter seeing more and more kids - if there’s room

In this 2009 file photo, Marcus Johnson, 2, from left, his mother and father, Tausha and Mark Johnson, and sister Jozlyn, 3, sit outside the Lawrence Community Shelter.

August 20, 2009

Sheva Blakely, standing left, and Cody Schnegelsiepen, standing right, visit with a day care provider about getting assistance for Blakely’s 2-year-old twins, Cailey Thursh, left, and Caitlyn Thursh, foreground. Blakely and Schnegelsiepen are homeless and have been in Lawrence about three months.

Number of homeless on the rise

As the economy tries to bounce back, local homeless shelters are seeing an influx of children and families come through their doors. Enlarge video

Three-year old Jozlyn Johnson stands on the front porch, preparing to pet a baby python.

“No honey, not on its head,” says the large man with the python wrapping around his arm. He nods approvingly when the toddler begins to stroke the snake’s lower half.

Welcome to perhaps the oddest daycare in Lawrence.

It’s the Lawrence Community Shelter, the city’s lone homeless shelter. And, as the national economic slump persists, it is increasingly becoming a makeshift home for families with young children.

“This is kind of new for us,” said Loring Henderson, the director of the shelter. “I didn’t know there was going to be so many families, and so many children in particular.”

On Monday evening, for example, 19 of the shelter’s 53 beds were filled by parents and their children. Henderson said there were 10 children sleeping in the cramped quarters on that night.

Jeanette Collier, coordinator for Douglas County’s ECKAN operations, said there could be many more.

“If I sent him all the families I’m dealing with, they would take up all the bed space,” Collier said.

Collier — whose organization provides rental and utility assistance and operates a food bank — said there has been an increase in the number of families falling into homelessness.

“There are a lot of new faces these days,” Collier said.

She said statistics kept by the Ballard Center in Lawrence indicated that the number of families applying for assistance through that nonprofit has increased by 45 percent since last year. The number of two-parent families has increased by about 20 percent.

“The biggest difference I’m seeing is that there are just so many new households experiencing this,” Collier said. “We’re seeing more and more people who have never had to access a social service agency before, and they are clueless about what is out there.

“I’ve seen some people who have lost their job after 30 years.”

Job losses

In many cases, families are losing not one, but two jobs. That’s what happened to Tausha Johnson. She, her husband Mark, and their two daughters have been staying at the Community Shelter for about three months. Both she and Mark worked at an Olathe-based screen printing company, earning $12 an hour. Both got laid off, fell behind on bills, and now have a whole new set of worries — like getting 3-year-old Jozlyn and 2-year-old Marcus to bed in a crowded room that doesn’t go lights out until 10 p.m.

“I think the biggest worry is you just never know who walks in those doors,” said Johnson. “It could be a child molester, it could be an alcoholic, it could be a lot of things. You just never know completely who your children are around.”

Henderson said the shelter is making changes to accommodate the influx of families. A meeting room in the basement has been converted into a toy room. An early childhood educator has begun coming to the shelter, and the staff is working with an area daycare in hopes that the children will be able to stay there some during the day.

“This is an adult environment,” Henderson said. “At the same time, the adults have been really good to them, but we still don’t want them in this environment.”

The shelter — since The Salvation Army closed its 42-bed shelter earlier this summer — has been splitting its facility into two rooms. In one room are people who have been drinking. In the other are families and people who have not been drinking.

Families with children also are exempt from the shelter’s “lottery system” that determines who gets one of the 53 beds and who is turned away for the night.

But the increase in families has meant more people have been subjected to the lottery system. A group of single women who are homeless came to City Hall earlier this week to express concerns about single women being turned away for the night.

On some nights, the shelter has had as many as 89 people sign up for a bed, meaning that more than 35 people are turned away.

The new demand comes at a time when the shelter is dealing with new regulations about the facility’s capacity. The shelter for several weeks had been allowing people it turned away to sleep on the shelter’s back porch area. But city code inspectors recently told the shelter to stop that practice.

Henderson said he’s fine with the new ruling because he understands that having 20 people or more sleeping around the building could be dangerous in a fire situation. But now numerous homeless individuals are sleeping in a city parking lot directly across the alley from the shelter.

The shelter is working to install a fire sprinkler system and emergency exit in the basement of its facility. That will allow for another 23 people to sleep at the shelter each night. But the city has directed the shelter to only use that space as a cold weather shelter, meaning it will be open only from Oct. 1 to April 1.

The shelter is working to move from its site at 10th and Kentucky streets to a new building at the site of the former Don’s Steakhouse on East 23rd Street. But that location must still win City Commission approval, and the shelter must still launch a multi-million-dollar fundraising campaign.

Comments

bb837988 5 years, 4 months ago

Even the clients of the shelter has concerns about the people who receive services at the Community Shelter.

I know that the services are needed. There are people who are in a horrible situation who are doing the best that they can. But the location of a wet shelter needs to be mindful of the surrounding area, not just in the immediate area but the area that is in between the shelter and any services needed by the clients. How many of the clients will need to go from the new shelter to the downtown location of LINK? Or will the new shelter be a 24 hour shelter?

Perhaps the new shelter could be used for families only. Then the neighborhoods around the shelter would not have to deal with the clients who have been turned away because of the lottery system for beds or if they have alcohol or drugs in their possession. Where will they go? There is nothing in the area but a few businesses and residential areas. Except the fairgrounds. I guess they can camp out in the livestock barns.

What is the cut-off time for the lottery system? If a person is turned away due to numbers, along with where do they go, how about how will they get somewhere? The two bus routes leave 23rd and Harper at 7:27 pm.

rousseau108 5 years, 4 months ago

So, do staff members screen the "guests," especially those in the "wet" room, for registered sex offenders who should be prohibited from staying in the same building as children? That is no place for a three-year-old.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 4 months ago

rousseau, if this is "no place for children" just where do you propose they go? The only real difference between now and the 1930's is that in the '30's they at least had deflation and the dollar bought more. Now, we basically have a depression with inflation. A one-two whammy. Stocks are going back up but the joblessness rate is not going down and continues to climb affecting more and more families. More people now are one paycheck from homelessness than ever before.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 4 months ago

"Yes we can". Change we can live with. Let's all have a beer in the rose garden. Happy days will be here soon!

Tammy Copp-Barta 5 years, 4 months ago

I still do NOT understand why we are even letting people who are drinking INTO these shelters. If people are in line who have not been drinking .. they should be sleeping indoors .. if you're drunk .. figure something out like quit drinking - THEN you can sleep indoors. NO EXCEPTIONS!

givingisfun 5 years, 4 months ago

I think they should always do background checks on any adult entering in the facilities. Especially with children living there.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 4 months ago

"Jozlyn should have made better choices!" - the GOP

KansaGirl 5 years, 4 months ago

I am sure if shelters had a choice they would seperate they families since it would be the best way to handle the situation. Guantanamotony and others need to understand the military does not take anyone. I feel for all of the homeless including drunks. I know people badmouth drunks but do you know they they usually have underlying mental issues and are using drinking to relieve the voices and other problems.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 5 years, 4 months ago

Drunks should be banned from the shelter. The drunkards and the content-to-be-homeless types are stealing resources and bed space from people who truly want to better themselves. These families need help but I'm concerned that any money donated to the shelter will be used to facilitate peoples' drinking habits by providing them a place to get drunk and sleep off their hangover.

On a side note, is anyone else getting tired of seeing the weight loss ad to the right that shows Rachel Ray's head photoshopped on a dude's body?

Shane Garrett 5 years, 4 months ago

Chin-HO: I also thought Rachel was more endowed. But then does't TV make everthing look bigger? KansasGirl: The voices tell me to drink, what should I do about them? I am saddend by those folks whom have been hit the hardest by the ecomony. However, reverting back to a hunting and gathering society is most left wing eco-wacks want for America. Except for those eco-waks that don't believe in hunting. Then they just want to eat berries and nuts. I think that is why they voted for Barry.

rubyslipper 5 years, 4 months ago

I wonder why the families haven't looked at the assistance the local churches are offering? Our church sponsors it every few weeks and the congregation cooks food for the families and they sleep at the church. It's on a rotation basis and so after we host them they go to another church the next week. This would be a much safter environment for the children in my opinion.

1029 5 years, 4 months ago

I know that getting married and having kids is "the thing that people are supposed to do", but so many of society's problems can ultimately be traced back to people having children when they really couldn't afford to provide them with a decent life. And I've be seeing plenty of "now hiring" signs at restaurants and a few at department stores, and there are plenty of funds available for foreclosure prevention and emergency rental assistance as long as one doesn't procrastinate, so how do you let yourself get to this point? Sure, you might not get that $12/hour that you've grown accustomed to, but when you decide that you are going to have kids, you need to also realize that you are going to need to give up something in return (i.e. dignity and pride of possibly having to go from $12/hr to minimum wage, or of having to seek assistance from a housing counselor). And maybe we need to stop this mentality that everybody should be watching cable on flat screen tvs, eat at restaurants, and be able to use credit for other entertainment, etc. People don't need these things--they want these things because popular culture leads them to believe that they are things that all people should have.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 4 months ago

"The voices tell me to drink, what should I do about them?"

If you do really hear voices, then you should undergo immediate evaluation for possible schizophrenia or other mental illness. If you don't hear voices, then you should pat yourself on the back for being oh-so-clever enough to crack a joke that mocks people who do.

beawolf 5 years, 4 months ago

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 4 months ago

1029 - yeah, Jozlyn needs to get a job at a department store!

das 5 years, 4 months ago

There are very few jobs being created in Lawrence outside of the Services industries and supporting others that use this as the bedroom community it is (KU jobs aside, that usually require advanced degrees). You are also now fighting College students for some of those jobs. The average student does not have a family to support and will (mostly) work for lower wages. Honestly, I would be heading out of town ASAP in a car or on a bus. It is all about supply and demand. The demand for workers is lower and the supply is greater.

afraid_to_comment 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree with lots of the previous comments. I feel for people in dire situations. But let's be real - too many are using the shelter as their home and feel the city/govt is obligated to feed and house them. Why can't they get a job like most of the people in Lawrence? There are Help Wanted signs all over the city - maybe not the preferred position - but they are jobs. Where is the work ethic within that says we should provide for ourselves and our families? Why is there a constant push to put a shelter within the neighborhoods? Why not use the old Tanger Mall - it is almost empty. There could be separate "buildings" for families and those that want to drink. It is large enough to house a kitchen/dining facility and a place to help them look for jobs. It should be for a short term - not permanent - assistance.

beawolf 5 years, 4 months ago

"There are Help Wanted signs all over the city - maybe not the preferred position - but they are jobs."

Do you honestly believe a family of 4 can live on the minimum wage these jobs pay? Much less afford to buy a home?

Those help wanted signs are for students (or others looking for a second job). Not as a permanent, viable income.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 4 months ago

Quitting time..... so now I will have a beer. And actually I have "helped" and lived with two people with schizophrenia. One got the help they needed the other passed away at the age of 47. He hooked up with the "others" and together they drank and took pain killers until death did them part. I do happen to agree mostly with 1029. I would go on and on but..... ttyl like 2marrow.

Violet 5 years, 4 months ago

I live in the downtown area and spend a considerable amount of time downtown and I have seen some of these families with very small children on the street in recent months. It is shameful of these parents to keep their children in that environment. Just yesterday I saw two toddlers and a baby sitting around with all the drunks and bums at the bus stop on 9th street, just about the same time I was taking my young daughter to the library for a FREE music program. After that, we went to the FREE park to play. Funny, while I see these families panhandling and hanging about with their children in tow, I never see them taking the kids to the many free activities for children that are available almost every day in downtown Lawrence (I know, because I am usually there!) - it is one thing to be on hard times and quite another to just simply make bad choices for your children, just as it is one thing to use the shelter for a roof at night, and another to let your children be in that environment 24/7.

budwhysir 5 years, 4 months ago

I love how the discusion went to letting people in that have been drinking. Now here is how I think society has gone wrong. So you have a homeless shelter that turns away single homeless women while it allows some guy that has taken his entire day to look for a way to get drunk only to come to a shelter for a hot meal, cold shower, and a warm place to sleep. How bout given that bed to a guy that took a shower and went out to spend 8 hours looking for a job. I know everyone will say, there is no jobs that is why people are loosing thier homes. not a completly true answer. If our society is going to help, let them help those who are willing to help themselves. Like people with small children who have just fallen on hard times and need a HAND UP not a HAND OUT

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

wow, the quote in the article about the open shelter's clients, and not where kids should be, is very powerful.

it is a good thing the 'open' shelter has seperate rooms...however, I repeat my earlier complaint: it is an insult to people trying to make good choices, people with local ties, people who *aren't drunk/drugged up/aren't committing crimes, that they have to compete against the bad ones for bed space.

whipe out the drunk/druggy room. that would make room for the single women.

I agree with the poster above, sadly some very bad parents use their kids/babies as begging ploys. not good at all for the kids.

Ruby-slipper, I think you're talking about Family Promise. I can't say for sure but from what I have read I think the number of people that can be accomodated is now far outstripped by the number of families needing it.

some families really do need help and Family Promise is a very good start. and you're right, the kids get clear of that horrible environment at Club 2-1-4 [the drunk/druggy shelter].

Identify the 'habitually homeless' AKA bums, only provide services to those who have not made homelessness a lifestyle choice.

BigPrune 5 years, 4 months ago

A little public relations article as to why they need to move the shelter into a defunct barbecue joint on a busy (why don't they do it in the road?) highway? Why not buy an old hotel instead?

rbwaa 5 years, 4 months ago

20 August 2009 at 10:08 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink Violet (Anonymous) says…

How do you KNOW there aren't homeless families with children attending the "free activities"? Just because people are homeless doesn't mean they fit your stereotypical notions. With 19 families using the homeless shelter, you couldn't have seen all of them "hanging about."

Violet 5 years, 4 months ago

rbwaa - In the interest of discretion, I was trying to be general (read it again. I said "SOME of these families). However, since you brought me to it - I don't know if there aren't some homeless families attending programs for children (not sure about the use of quotations in your post - the activities I am referring to are indeed FREE, no library conspiracy that I am aware of!), in fact, I hope that they are. The families I was referring to include the one pictured and profiled for this article. These are the children I see at the bus stop, and sitting in their stroller alongside their panhandling parents, etc. Not to mention the ones I see inhaling their parents second hand smoke from the cigarettes they can apparently still afford. No stereotyping needed on my part - these people speak for themselves.

Prana 5 years, 4 months ago

Did I read this right? The Johnson's lost their jobs in Olathe and came to Lawence's Community Shelter. The other homeless family has been in Lawrence about 3 months. Why is Lawrence the destination for homeless people? Don't we have enough issues of our own? What are we doing to make homeless people want to come here? What are the other cities doing to make homeless people move to places such as Lawrence? At what point do we say "stop"? Should the homeless people not have to do ANYTHING in exchange for a bed & meal? I know it is not the kid's fault, absolutely not. But come on folks...let's stop enabling this type of lifestyle and make some conditions for our handouts!

Shane Garrett 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, edjayhawk: You won! Now deal with it! It sort of grinds my gears to read about that sort of propagandizing. The good book says there will always be poor people. It is how you treat them that defines a society. Thanks goes out to Bill Clinton.

b_asinbeer 5 years, 4 months ago

guantanamotony...

You're really fishing for it, aren't you?

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

OH MY, OH MY, OH MY. That is all I can say after reading most of these posts.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

probably because its so effing expensive to live in lawrence-- compare it to other KS towns that are similar in size. that's why i no longer live there.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I hope these families find a way out, but I fear that things are going to get worse before they get better. It is taking on a toll on them mentally to be forced to put their young ones in such a situation. Right now they are feeling pretty helpless and at the mercy of others. I hope there are people around them showing them compassion and love. There should be a day care center for children that is safe and free to homeless families. Also, an aggressive program to help the parents find jobs and housing.

Tammy Copp-Barta 5 years, 4 months ago

Sure are giving lots of handouts and having lots of people hanging out here for us being the 2nd meanest city in the country in 2006.

Kim Murphree 5 years, 4 months ago

Just a quick note for all those who claim Christianity but might need a reminder....this is just ONE of the many verses on the subject from the Good Book: Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

mitchell09 5 years, 4 months ago

beatrice 5 years, 4 months ago

"whipe out the drunk/druggy room. that would make room for the single women."

Sadly, the drunks and the druggies are the people you probably don't want out on the streets at night. They are the ones who, because of their drugs and booze addictions, won't think rationally and won't hesitate to break into someone's home or attempt to use your front yard for their personal restroom. It might just be best to provide them a large space where they and others like them can sleep. However, it is best to keep them separated from families and those who are down on their luck but want to improve their situation.

violet, do you really expect homeless families desperate enough to have to beg others for change in order to buy food to feed their children (we hope) to take the afternoon off to enjoy some FREE entertainment? That is what you are suggesting, that they stop trying to earn (beg) money and enjoy some music. Do you truly believe that people who likely feel a large degree of worthlessness and are defensive about themselves while at the same time angry, confused and not sure where to turn are seeking a pleasant afternoon of relaxation and FREE music?

Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. You claim that the children are there next to their panhandling parents, as if they shouldn't be -- are you suggesting that the parents just drop the children off to enjoy the FREE tunes while they try to beg for money? And who would then be watching the kids? Sure the hell isn't going to be me, or you. Further, when they do go to the FREE parks, they are scorned by others there who often times will not be quiet about their disdain regarding their plight. How freely do most allow their children to play with the children of obviously homeless people?

There is a lot more going on then just a simple "Why don't those people just ...?"

It is a sad situation for many families, and the old saying of judge not comes to mind.

notwhatyourthink 5 years, 4 months ago

Went to the classified section of this newspaper and found 17 jobs in the General class and a few others that did not require any special skills or education.

Moral of the story. Stay in schooll and study hard. It opens up a lot of doors.

Violet 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh, give me a break. What I am suggesting is that these parents take some responsibility for the well being of their small children - that includes their emotional and psychosocial well being, NOT just begging a few dollars for "food" (I have been a volunteer at the community open shelter and know that there is more than enough free food there to feed these children, and with LINK they should be set in that regard). I think that they should be maintaining some normalcy for the children and keeping them attending child focused enriching activities (like music education/story time / community open gym/ playing in the park etc.) during the day instead of sitting around with a bunch of bums smoking and drinking at the bus stop. There is no reason that these parents cannot take turns attending to their children while the other looks for a job. Certainly that would be more effective than sitting there begging a few dollars while their children look on.

b_asinbeer 5 years, 4 months ago

Guantanamo...

I'm happy for you. However, have you asked the homeless families if they've looked for jobs? It's not easy finding a job these days. I don't think not being able to find a job is treason. That's what you're getting at in your post.

btw, just because you want to help out the homeless doesn't mean you're a democrat. I've known plenty of republicans who've helped out homeless when the going got tough. Maybe it's just you...

picky 5 years, 4 months ago

I am homeless but live with my daughter in Lawrence. I just dont understand why shelters are letting people stay there so long. I had tried to get help with some organizations to help pay my rent and bills, but every time I did they did not have the money and try later on after the 15th of the month. Used to work in Olathe until I got fired from something I didnt do. And I cannot even get unemployment. My landlord let me stay at the place I was living in rent free for 2 months or until I could get a job, but by August 1st, I had to leave. I hate being homeless and I feel like the residents in Douglas County are not getting their fair share of things when other people come from other countries into Douglas County. If people need a shelter than the county should shelter people in areas that are shut down and then line up a job for them so to work instead of sitting around not doing anything. If drunks can get shelter which they should not be allowed to, they should have the cops pick them up and take them to jail. Children are not safe to be around drunks and wierdo`s that stay at the shelter.

texburgh 5 years, 4 months ago

Hillbilly Jim: While I agree with the sentiment that a parent provides for his/her children before feeding their cigarette (or drug or alcohol) addiction...am I missing something? I don't see any of the parents in the photos with cigarettes.

I would however suggest that everyone - especially the "up by your bootstraps" types or the GOP theocrats who routinely ignore the poor - pay close attention to their Bibles. Read the verse posted here by Vocal. In terms of governing as Christians, this is perhaps the most important passage in the Bible.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

nowhatyourthinking Did you put as much thought into your comments. As you would pissing into the wind?

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

textburgh I would guess if most of these people who write mindless crap about things they don't understand. If they do count themselves as christians. Its more likely they're pseudo christians. Go to church on sunday, and fallow none of the teachings.

MaryKatesPillStash 5 years, 4 months ago

There are definitely some "general" jobs that some homeless might qualify for. However, have you ever had a successful job interview when you didn't go in with a resume, because you had no access to a computer or printer? Have you ever had a successful job interview when you haven't had the luxury of a good night's sleep and a shower for a few days? Have you ever had a successfull job interview when you didn't have a permanent address or phone number to put on whatever sort of resume you could scrounge up? Have you ever had a successful job interview when you weren't able to mentally prepare yourself for the grinding questions because you spent the past week trying to figure out how to feed yourself and keep you (and your kids) out of the elements?

We all know it is difficult to go out and get a job, even a "trivial" one. Heck, I have a masters degree and tried to get a job at a few retail places to pay off some of my student loans. Most major retail stores expect you to have some knowledge about the company, even if it means you take 10 minutes to Google it. It is not as simple as you are cutting it out to be.

missmagoo 5 years, 4 months ago

"She, her husband Mark, and their two daughters have been staying at the Community Shelter for about three months. Both she and Mark worked at an Olathe-based screen printing company, earning $12 an hour. Both got laid off, fell behind on bills, and now have a whole new set of worries — like getting 3-year-old Jozlyn and 2-year-old Marcus to bed in a crowded room that doesn’t go lights out until 10 p.m."

--my guess is that Marcus is a BOY, so that wouldn't be "two daughters"

and this is a sad story but seriously, quit letting the drunks in the shelter. and make a room or area for families, where others won't bother them. a homeless shelter is no place for children, and these people either need a clue or support. :)

Sw33tKatt 5 years, 4 months ago

wow... sounds like a lot of rich people that had no experience in having hard times. why are you guys typing your opnions instead of doing something about it? fork some of that vacation cash over to help this city or put on some jeans and a t shirt and go volunteer like most people at the shelter... and find out for yourself how difficult the situation is before you judge and rant online.

Drunks are human beings too, i do agree they have a choice and should practice it ans stip driking... but who wants another human to be put in that situation? Not me...

sad sad sad...

Sw33tKatt 5 years, 4 months ago

oh yeah..i forgot to mention the job situation... this is a college town with a lot of SINGLE and CUTE people. It's hard for people with families to get jobs here. Hell it suck raising a family here... unless your in college there is nothing in this town. No kids places, they always go out of business, or places for adults that AREN'T bars! I've been turned down for jobs many times for having a family, empoyers don't like to compete with kids all of asudden getting sick when they can have a college student come in a jiffy. This town is VERY prejudice and stuck up. oh and forget to mention jugdemental...

cowboy 5 years, 4 months ago

Three months and you can't find a job , I would venture to guess you're not working at it very hard. Hate to sound so hard hearted but if youre a dad you have to work even if it's something you don't want to do. It's your responsibility. My kids are raised now but there were to many years to count that I worked 80-100 hours per week to support the family.

Sw33tKatt 5 years, 4 months ago

did fannylou read the article??? or even read the little caption onder the picture??? does this person know that joslynn is a little girl. wow...stupid to comment on something you know little about...even stupider to comment on an article you didn't read! get informed please! maybe You aught to make better choices???

Sw33tKatt 5 years, 4 months ago

oops i meant 1029 not fannylou... dammit now i'm stupid. it's rubbing off!

lounger 5 years, 4 months ago

This is a rough, tough situation. I worked at the salvation army shelter as a night monitor and these places are nowhere for kids to be. I know there is family (mom, dad so on) who can put a lot of these younger family's up for a while so put aside the grudges and help them! If you dont believe me just visit one of these dumps yourself!! ITs not the fault of the homeless shelters that they are dumps its the lack of funding.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 4 months ago

Vocal! You have not been paying attention! Here is that passage as it now appears in the new, revised, Republican New Testament gospel of Saint Ron:

"For I was hungry and you said 'get a job!' I was thirsty and you said 'you'd probably just spend it on alcohol' I was a stranger and you said 'ew get away from me' I was naked and you had me arrested, I was in prison and you said 'You should have made better choices.'

I'm going to keep posting this until you've all learned it!

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 4 months ago

SweetKat - that's alright - I knew who you meant!

das 5 years, 4 months ago

Boulder CO.....SAME demographics as Lawrence, but doing something better..... http://www.bouldershelter.org/about.mission.html

Gee...and Boulder lists adjacent areas as "community resources"....that's a novel concept..... http://www.bouldershelter.org/programs.resources.html

You can't tell me that there aren't potential wealthy donors here just as in Boulder. There are quite a few $500,000 and over homes here as well...and they are not all vacant by any means. To these people this is a Central and East Lawrence "issue".

What if we (the community) had even as much disclosure as this... http://www.bouldershelter.org/pdf/BSHreport08_v3.pdf

Like I said...Lawrence....epic FAIL!

mrdarcybennet 5 years, 4 months ago

There are a lot of families in Lawrence who are struggling financially. It's such a shame, on all of us, when the conditions of our community's emergency shelter are insufficiently suited to provide help all people who need it. The Lawrence Community Shelter needs all of our support to provide sufficiently segregated quarters for sober and intoxicated people (all of whom deserve a safe place to sleep especially in winter), men and women, families and singles.

At the same time, even under the most difficult circumstances, all families without income or savings are eligible for 60 months of Temporary Assistance for Families also called cash assistance. They receive this money in addition to food stamps to cover basic needs like diapers and bus passes. The Women with Infant Children program provides vouchers for baby formula, milk, juice, cheese, eggs, carrots, cereal and other basic food necessities for children.

LCS, LINK, Jubiliee Cafe, and Salvation Army, in addition to the Trinity Episcopal, Ballard Center, and Eckan food pantries, provide free access to healthy food. Free clothing is available at PennHouse. Leo Center and Birthright both offer diapers.

The only time a family with children will be seen panhandling is if they are not participating fully in the services available to them. They are not going to the Workforce Center where computers, internet, job coaching, resume workshops, and employment support specialists are available for free, and so may have become ineligible for the Temporary Assistance for Families. They may have spent the TAF on cigarettes and other luxuries instead of necessities like diapers or they may want to supplement their TAF with money for those luxuries.

Please, if you see a homeless family with children panhandling do offer them kindness and a supportive word but do not offer money. Instead ask when was the last time they went to the Workforce Center.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 4 months ago

Free daycare? WHY? Our tax dollars pay for enough free stuff. Free food/ Free healthcare/ Free houseing! I am sick of it! All of these people need to go back to where they came from!

I work my A** off to take care of me, I cannot afford to take care of someone else and THEIR kids! Stop having kids if you can't raise them properly!

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Darcy,

I know where Salvation Army, Trinity Episcopal, and LINK are, but where are the food pantries and Workforce Center?

Sunny Parker 5 years, 4 months ago

Trust me, there is a reason these peoples mothers, sisters, brothers won't take them into their homes! Their own families won't take them in, yet my tax dollars are supporting them. That sucks!

formerLtowny 5 years, 4 months ago

Also, Lawrence is a college town. If your not in college, it might be time to move to a REAL city....

Shane Garrett 5 years, 4 months ago

Does the libraries not have computers and printers? Does the clinton lake shelters not have showers? Does the bus not run? Does the LJW not publish classifieds? Does the thrift shops not have dress clothes? I don't want to sound like Scrooge but even I got some bread at the Catholic charities house.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

formalltowny I have said this before. Who are you to tell anyone else to leave this town. If any one should leave it is all of you bigoted idiots out there. This is still unpaid land your on. The U.S. government never funded the land sessions funds. Which allowed this area the Nebraska Territory to become The State of Kansas. (named for a tribe called the Kanza) Only after treaties were agreed to by the tribes in this area."and in good faith" by the United States Government. So the United State defaulted with a contract they signed. So if you really believe you have a right to tell people to leave. Than you have no rights to be here as well. So start walking east. When you get to the ocean start swimming.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

mitchell09 (Anonymous) says…

"Man, some of you guys suck. What do you keep in that empty place where your heart used to be?"

I don't know about anyone else but I use that spot to store my Pokemon in.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I would hope that those working at the Open Shelter tell people about all the resources open to them. It is getting very scary to be homeless in Lawrence there is so much hate out there. There is a parable about the owner of a vineyard who took in day laborers at dawn, and again at noon, and then again in the afternoon. They were all paid the same amount. The ones who started in the morning were angry because they had worked all day and got as much as those who only worked for an hour. I paid you what I said I would, said the owner, do you begrudge these others for getting something?

formerLtowny 5 years, 4 months ago

OK fallingwhilereading but were talking about taking care of the homeless. Not the plight of Native Americans.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Think about when they opened the Oklahoma Territory to settlers and the people back east with financial problems lost no time in grabbing the opportunity. For a long time those in trouble headed west to better their lives. Now there is no where left to go.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

My point was when does anyone have the right to tell the homeless to leave town. If people truly believe the can tell another person that. I believe my argument would have more merit. So if anyone believes the homeless have no rights to be in Lawrence, and you truly believe that. Those individuals need to pick up, and go until they are at least out of this countries territorial waters. Its an argument that I bring up because it does have precedent. Unlike most of the other people arguing the other way telling the homeless this, and that. When they have no clue about what there talking about. Sorry for the grammar. Got to go to Royals came. I have 2 extra tickets. For the Royals club. Maybe I will stop, and pick 2 homeless to go with.

honestone 5 years, 4 months ago

"The Johnson's lost their jobs in Olathe and came to Lawence's Community Shelter. The other homeless family has been in Lawrence about 3 months. Why is Lawrence the destination for homeless people?" I could not have asked a better question! WHY do families come here when homeless?? WHY does the shelter let the people that don't want the help continue to suck up resources that would be better directed to those that want to make their life better? WHY does the homeless advocates act like we owe anyone a bed and if we don't give them one they may come pee or sleep in my yard? and... Why is falling while reading still talking about the plight of the indians when we are discussing homelessness?

Sunlover 5 years, 4 months ago

ok, so can we all stop moaning and groaning, giving opinions, etc and find out how we can help??

As a wife and mother of two small children, I think it's safe to say my life is comparable to many other families living in Lawrence…or in America for that matter. We’re all living paycheck to paycheck and could just as easily be in the position of these homeless families.

What can the average person in Lawrence do to assist these families TODAY? I don’t have extra money to give each person, but I can donate blankets, towels, food, toiletries, etc. I can offer advice and or mentoring to young mothers, assist adults with their resumes, etc, etc, etc.

I hate to sound ignorant, but tell me what to do, where to call, where to donate and what is needed and I'll help in any way that I can.

I see the problem – so help me (us) help the shelters and people.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

honestone I was making a point that you have no right at all to tell anyone who can come to Lawrence, or who should go. Your making my point for me you bigoted fool. If you truly believe you have some moral right to say these things. Than I use a true and morally, just reason why a bigoted nut like you needs to leave Indian territory. Unless you would like to pay for the unfunded treaties. I really believe if you choose to believe homeless have no right to be here. Wouldn't you think the tribes should stay, and who should go. My vote would be to cast bigoted, rednecks, and just plain hateful people into the sea. Send you back to where your family is from originally from.

formerLtowny 5 years, 4 months ago

The homeless problem will never go away in Larryville. It is a part of our culture. Our hippie/hobos love this lifestyle. Where else in the world can you find someone begging for $ while wearing a North Face jacket and playing with their i-pod.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

sunflower I did help even today. I took someone to get a script filled. I also got up, and fished someone's private land. Lake Bismark to be exact. I then took the fish ready to cook down to the shelter. I have been fishing all the private lakes in the area. Then I give the fish to the shelter. When hunting season opens I will do the exact same thing. Oh, and if you think I'm wrong for fishing private property look up U.S.v. Winans. I will continue to give them the harvest I take. I enjoy fishing, and hunting. I also like to know it offers someone a dinner that needs one. So all of you who are against a shelter, or hate the homeless. Think about them when you sit down to eat tonight.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

formerltowny There were homeless before the 60's. Pick up a book. Also Northface has a program that gives some of their lines to the homeless. The I-pod I don't know. Maybe they had that before they were homeless.

honestone 5 years, 4 months ago

Fallingwhile reading says: you have no right at all to tell anyone who can come to Lawrence, or who should go. ACTUALLY...I never told anyone to go anywhere. I am simply suggesting that in a time of limited resources we need to put our money where it will do the most good. A cronic drunk or a family that is trying to get out of their situation...hummmm...where would you say the money/space is best used Falling?? Fallingwhilereading says: If you truly believe you have some moral right to say these things. Than I use a true and morally, just reason why a bigoted nut like you needs to leave Indian territory. OK...I can barely decipher what you are saying but...I signed no treaties and I authorized no one to sign such documents. If you want to rant at our great, great grandparents about what occured then you have a point but...I paid for my house and the land it sits on. I also have worked two jobs supporting my family and I have pay my taxes. Does this give me a right to dictate who can sleep in my yard, piss in my bushes or dig through my trash??? Yes...it does. Fallingwhilereading says: Wouldn't you think the tribes should stay, and who should go. My vote would be to cast bigoted, rednecks, and just plain hateful people into the sea. Again...I think I know what you are saying and I am assuming that "who" should be "you" so I would like to point out that according to Webster's On-line Dictionary. big·ot (bĭg'ət)
n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ. This definition kinda sounds like you fallingwhilereading. We can't all be full-blooded members of a tribe like you but you seem to think that anyone whos opinion differs from yours should leave YOUR land...you are full-blooded...right? I am only 1/8. NOW back to the real issue... 1. create a dry shelter for people that demonstrate that they want to move up and on. Finding a site will be a lot easier but who would blame someone for not wanting even the dry shelter in their neighborhood. 2. Make every effort to help those people and move the others along to a city that has the resources to pay for the cronic helpless. 3. The city supporting wide-spread panhandling should stop.

rbwaa 5 years, 4 months ago

Why is it presumed that the couple who worked in Olathe lived in Olathe? It is just as likely they lived in Lawrence and commuted to work just like many others in Lawrence. While on the subject, I'm tired of the NIMBY [not in my backyard] attitude of so many here. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule?

tnt1985 5 years, 4 months ago

Some numbers to ponder, the cost of some popular Lawrence projects compared to cost of a basic 3 bedroom home for a deserving family: a nice roundabout with view blocking landscaping = 2 houses, pressboxes for both high schools to get a better view of home games = 7 or 8 houses, proposed renovations to a new homeless shelter on the east side of town = 35 to 40 houses. No worries though, it' just tax dollars. Who knows what foolishness the lowly taxpayers would waste this money on if we let them keep it.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 4 months ago

While I sat down at my table this evening and enjoyed the mexican feast and the beer.... I didn't give the homeless a second thought. What I was thinking was the high cost of the avacados I purchased at Dillons.

That is why I go to work everyday. To feed myself and make darned sure I have a roof over my head. Almost half of the money I earn goes to the State of Kansas and the Federal Govt! I am forced to give!

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

honestone You say you sign no treaties. True you did not. Your government did. You paid for your home. Also probably true. So when it comes to paying taxes to cover the national debt our nation is running up. Are you going to accept 80, 90% taxes to pay the national debt off? More than likely your kids, and Grand kids will be paying for the debt our government has incurred. So for you to say your not responsible for what previous generations did, and didn't pay for is your responsibility as a nation. It is also a civilized nations moral obligation to help those in need. Even those individuals that need help for drug,and alcohol abuse. Then the mentally ill what do you do with them? Which most of the homeless are one, or the other, or both. The symptoms of a person with dug, and alcohol abuse mirror mental health. Also a large portion of this countries homeless are our military veterans. Do you really think these people deserve to go hungry? To sleep out on the streets? Is that the kind of respect you give someone who puts their life on the line. To protect your freedoms. So you can have that house, and have nice dinner. Your say screw them if they become alcoholics, or drug addicts after doing, and seeing things they will never forget, and never forgive themselves for. Your reasoning in your last post. Makes me believe you are incapable of understanding homestone. You are truly obtuse.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

tnt1985 (Anonymous) says…

"Some numbers to ponder, the cost of some popular Lawrence projects compared to cost of a basic 3 bedroom home for a deserving family"

It seems, since you posted this on this thread, that you are suggesting that people are homeless because of a lack of homes?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Sunny, that's the definition of a liberal: generous with other people's money.

BEAt, you are advocating making people comfortable in their self-destruction.

many times I and many others have discussed the need to "hit bottom" in order to change.

further, if the space/resources are limited, I'd much rather have them going to care for families with children, especially if the adults in those families are making choices and taking actions to get a home, stable life, again.

if you make someone comfortable in his/her self-destruction, you just help with the self-destruction.

Vocal, you forgot the verse in Paul's letter that commands: he that will not work will not eat.

if I give a handout to a panhandler in lawrence, because of all the free services/food, more than likely that money is going to buy what was found when the bum encampment was bulldozed by the Santa Fe station: booze, stogies, adult magazines.

ah, Failingwhilereading is back.
apparently his/her posts have more to do with antiwhite racism than a discussion of homelessness in lawrence.

our tax dollars, plus government approvals and zoning, go to maintain the drunken/druggy shelter. it is appropriate to ask that the shelter not serve out-of-towners.
require people to have a local history or local connections.

but then, the entire concept of the "open shelter" is flawed.

make it a dry, clean, shelter. you'll have a better population and much greater ease in finding a new location.

oh yeah, Failingwhilereading, the inventor of Baseball was a white guy. how can you even support that?

budwhysir 5 years, 4 months ago

sw33tkat:

I read your post and the same thing crossed my mind.You say "rich" people should fork over some of that vacation money to help out. You want me to give you a hand out or a hand up? I aint given a dime to someone to go drink all day while im bustin my a** to support my family. I would say that drunks ARE people too, I have to agree cause I tend to get drunk every once and a while and I feel like a human every day. How bout them rich people given up some of that vacation money for a hard days work? you want some of the "rich" peoples money better plan on workin like the "rich". I know everybody will attack me sayin that some people do not work for thier money or it was inherited. I say so what, workin hard includes making sure your family is safe and well taken care of no matter what. By the way, I am putting up this post and I promise you I would never be classified as "rich", I am cheated every day by given a hard days work for way too little money. But I dont complain because having money is only a small part of getting by.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

bearded_gnome I was making a point that who has a right to tell anyone they should leave Lawrence because they are homeless. I bring up the point of anyone who is not native truly doesn't belong in Lawrence. I do not expect people to actually leave. As i wouldn't expect the homeless to have to leave. You talk about people using handouts. We live in a college town. Almost everyone here is getting a handout. I see a lot of students out parting, pissing in the alley's ect.. Do you want the students to leave because they are just a drain on are tax dollars. No one decided to bring up the veterans issue. Unwilling to out right dump on them. If you just call them drunks, druggies,'' people who want to be homeless". Instead of veterans with issues, and need help. So when I bring up the homeless have you ever seen me write don't help the white ones? No of course you haven't. You would like to think I just hated white people. That would diminish my point. Who has the right to tell anyone to leave an area. Certainly no one does.
I also enjoyed the Royals game. I will also enjoy the fishing I do this weekend. Of course on someone's private land. I will also enjoy giving the harvest from fishing to the homeless. Just one small part I can do for my community.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 4 months ago

Even in a community the size of Lawrence four months is way too long to be unemployed. Packer Plastics is constantly hiring through the temp agency. Most hired on will be offered a full time postion in three months. Any person who is unemplyed in Lawrence for that long is not looking for work.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

artichokeheart When an employer looks at a application, or resume does the employer need to be able to see an address? A telephone #? Do you really think many employers keep looking at an application that has the shelter's address on it. Most of the homeless end up without ID., birth certificate, social security card. You can't get an ID. without a birth certificate, or a social security card. You also have a real difficult time getting a birth certificate without an ID, or a social security card. You can not get a social security card without the other 2. I really can tell you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no clue of what the cycle of homelessness is truly about. Is an employer going to hire someone who is mentally incapable of deciding if they should even sign their name on something as simple as a letter. I am sure someone will say the mentally ill could get social security. If they do apply for social security. The wait time for social security is 700 plus days. A little over your 4 month time period. Thats if you can get them to even apply for social security. Then a lot of people bring up the drugs, and alcohol, At some point a drug addict, or alcoholic doesn't have a choice. It wouldn't be called a dependency if it was a choice for them. Have you ever tried to help a alcoholic who was trying to get sober? Having the alcoholic who is dting. They can't quit shaking, and throwing up constantly. You know if they do not get medical attention could die. Do you think that the body does that for fun? It is because the body has become dependent on the alcohol. What about the veterans who can not function in society because of the service they provided to our country. I know there are programs to help veterans. How do you help someone who is taught not to show any weakness, and all the other things driven into there head. You can train someone. It is a lot harder to undo that training. Do you think 4 months is long enough to undo how many years of service? So before you decide to write some sort of have thought idea. Sit there, and try to get an idea of the real scale of the problems of homelessness. What I have written hasn't even scratched the surface of the issues of the cycle of homelessness.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 4 months ago

Falling? Yes you have. Your drop in center can get a birth certificate, I.D. or any other documentation needed for anyone any time. I really doubt every homeless person is without some form of identification. Mug shots are accepted by the DMV as proof of I.D. too.

The address of the shelter is not a deterent from employment. That is just another in a long line of excuses used by the professional homeless to avoid working. Along the same lines many in the welfare to work program use the same tear jerker to avoid seeking work. This is not a valid argument. If anything using the drop in center addy is showing employers the applicant wants a job despite their situation. It is time for those who have found themselves homeless to take action to change the situation. It is time for the local shelter to start putting a boot in some rear ends if they aren't make changes and it is time for the shelter to stop nursing lazy drug addicts and drunks.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

artichokeheart You haven't spoken to the mental health nor the veterans issue. I would like to here your nonsense view on that part of homelessness. How long does it take to get your birth certificate? If the drop in center has the funds to get it? Why would you assume everyone at the drop in has a mug shot?or are you suggesting the homeless should get arrested to make it easier for them to get an ID.? If you truly believe what you say about being homeless, and employers. Give some example. At least 60 employers. Thats about how many homeless come down to the drop in. Also could you give the place of employments names, contacts names, and any other pertinent info? When you list them is that a guaranty of employment for the homeless? You still have no understanding of addition. You have no understanding of treating addiction. If you did you wouldn't call it nursing them. They have to find a bottom. If being homeless isn't a bottom. Than usually it will be their death. Also would you rather someone high, or drunk on the streets? To be running threw your neighborhood at night? I would bet you wouldn't. I would rather them sleeping it off in a monitored safe place. You are slow, and don't things threw. If you had ever been in the military. You would have been one of the idiots that have gotten their fellow solders killed. Put some thought into your argument.

Kontum1972 5 years, 4 months ago

if u cannot afford children...then "don't have them"...birth control and condoms is free at clinics ...think before u swim the pit.

jeez

Amy Heeter 5 years, 4 months ago

Mentally ill- Don't use Bert Nash it won't help you.

Veterans- contact your local veteran affairs office. Contact your congressman.

Addiction treatment- Another money maker created by the same kind of people who run the CDIC so they can suck the tax payers dry. If you doubt that see your case manager Brian at the CDIC he is a poster child.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 4 months ago

BTW work is good and it keeps people out of hiomelessness.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 4 months ago

You truly are as close to M.R. Why I bother to even converse with someone obtuse as you I have no idea. I must be slipping. I wouldn't normally waste my time writing back, and forth to one of your wit.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Failingwhile reading says: You truly are as close to M.R. Why I bother to even converse with someone obtuse as you I have no idea. I must be slipping. I wouldn't normally waste my

---and thus, Failingwhilereading, besides all the "red rage," now displays namecalling. "M.R. = "mentally retarded."

Apparently Failingwhilereading has no problem with such namecalling, calling people retarded. disrespected the real retarded.

FWR, people like you really don't care about the veterans, they're just rhetorical opportunities to you.
you are the nutbags like Scott5150 who call them "gun toters" and how Merrill another loon on the left calls the foreign terrorists who were blowing up our troops in Iraq in '06 "patriots."

VA is addressing this issue of homelessness, and has enough beds, but they can't compel vets to come in off of the streets. your president Mr. Obama though showed his real contempt for vets. during the Bush administration, the deathbook "your life, your choices" offered by VA to vets, actually encouraging suicide or end of life care, was stopped by GWB.

Your president has ordered the deathbook reinstated to encourage vets to off themselves.
you really do care about the vets, don't you guys.

your antiwhite racism doesn't help your cause FWR.

and you didn't refute my right, and the right of this community, to insist that its taxes and resources go to help local homeless only.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 4 months ago

My point is that the CDIC is wasting money. If the shelter really wanted these people off the streets many of them would have been by now. These articles do nothig but use those who have experience homlessnes as scapegpats for funding. This is the way it works. Documant the need and keep asking for funding.

There will always be homeless people but if the shelter were doing the job they claim to the faces would change, the numbers would not increase and we would be seeing progress.

Wet shelters do not promote progress they enable.

Jean1183 5 years, 4 months ago

So.....this couple got laid off and aren't getting unemployment???

My daughter makes less than $1000/month working two jobs (a full time and a part-time) and with public assistance is able to provide for herself and her child.

I have NO problem with my daughter getting assistance since she IS working (as I said---2 jobs). I do have a problem with people who DON'T EVEN TRY!!!