This is the second in a series of quizzes about Kansas University. Today’s focus is campus life. See the answers at the end of the quiz.
1. In which building was helium discovered by professor Hamilton Cady in 1905?
A. Green Hall
B. Malott Hall
C. Wescoe Hall
D. Bailey Hall
2. What is the oldest academic building on campus?
A. Spooner Hall
B. Dyche Hall
C. Fraser Hall
D. Marvin Hall
3. Which magazine ranked KU ninth among its top party schools in 2002?
A. U.S. News and World Report
4. Who said of the view from KU’s hill: “Stretching out on its own unbounded scale, unconfined. ... Combining the real and ideal, and beautiful as dreams.”
A. Walt Whitman
B. William Allen White
C. Robert Frost
D. Susan B. Anthony
5. What former Kansas governor donated 40 acres of land to help form the KU campus?
A. John P. Usher
B. James Lane
C. Charles Robinson
D. John Speer
6. Most people know about the Chi Omega Fountain. But fewer know about the fountain near Battenfeld and Watkins scholarship halls. What is it called?
A. Rock Chalk Fountain
B. Scholars Place Fountain
C. Alumni Place Fountain
D. The Outlook Fountain
7. What year was the Campanile dedicated?
8. A lack of what product forced the suspension of Allen Fieldhouse’s construction in 1952?
9. When the KU basketball teams practiced in Hoch Auditorium, there was a cage on the stage to protect a particular item from being hit by balls. What was the item?
A. Championship basketball trophy
B. Electrical system controls
C. Pipe organ
D. Official university seal
10. For what event was the panorama in the KU Natural History Museum constructed?
A. Opening of Chicago’s Field Museum
B. Opening of Smithsonian Institution
C. 40th anniversary celebration for KU
D. 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition
1-D; 2-A; 3-B; 4-A; 5-C; 6-C; 7-C; 8-B; 9-C; 10-D.