Archive for Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mom, baby OK after bizarre accident

Jessica King had a very close call with her car in January after slipping under the wheel with the car still running. King was eight months pregnant at the time. Today, she and her daughter Aiydasia are doing well.

August 16, 2009

Lawrence woman survives bizarre car accident

Years from now, Jessica King will tell her daughter about a very unlucky -- and lucky -- day. Enlarge video

A map of Skyridge Court, where Jessica King was involved in a bizarre car accident in January.

Years from now, Jessica King will tell her daughter about the Tuesday in January that was perhaps the unluckiest, and luckiest, day of their lives.

A series of unfortunate circumstances on that day led to King’s Buick Rendezvous running her over — not once, but twice — in the span of less than a minute in front of her home on Skyview Court in Lawrence.

The first time, the SUV backed over her legs. The second time, it ran over her abdomen, missing her unborn baby by inches.

‘I can still feel it’

It all started when King, on her way to a weekly Mary Kay meeting, started her car in her driveway. It was icy, so King, eight months pregnant and wearing stiletto heels, got out of her car to scrape off the windows. She left the driver’s side door open.

Then she slipped.

As she attempted to grab the top of the car for balance, she accidentally knocked the gear shifter into reverse. The car door then knocked King to the ground, and the car slowly rolled over her legs as it exited the driveway.

“If I close my eyes, I can still feel it,” said King, describing the heavy pressure of the front wheel of the SUV on her trapped body.

King was not seriously injured, and she got up and watched the car slowly circling the neighborhood, hopping curbs and running over small trees. As the car made a full circle back to King’s driveway, she thought she might be able to get in the car and put it in park.

But she slipped again as she grabbed the car door. The door knocked her down once more, and the car again slowly rolled over King.

She said she had tire tracks on her maternity dress.

“That’s when I gave up. If it hits something, it hits something,” King said of ending the chase of her runaway car.

The car continued to make a second circle of the cul-de-sac, and eventually butted up against a neighbor’s car.

It was then that King says she realized how lucky she was that the car missed her stomach both times.

“I just got ran over, and I’m eight months pregnant,” King said of her thoughts as she was able to get up a second time.

King approached the car that had just moments before run her over, and drove herself to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. She was examined and later transferred to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka, where she spent a week recovering from the severe bruising that covered her legs and abdomen.

King used a walker for weeks after the incident, but she escaped serious injury.

In April, she gave birth to Aiydasia, who is now a healthy 3-month-old nicknamed “Daisy.”

‘I’m a big klutz’

King said that those who know her are familiar with her trademark clumsiness, but the incident was even an extreme for her.

“I’m a big klutz,” said King. “(But) it’s not a habit of mine to run over myself.”

The story was so bizarre that when she told her husband what happened, he didn’t believe her.

“Nobody believed me,” said King.

They believe her now.

“We tease her about it all the time,” said Toni Albright, King’s mother-in-law. “You’ve got to be able to laugh at this.”

Comments

Jeanette Kekahbah 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi, that's one truly fine post, well done!!

vegetablegirl 5 years, 4 months ago

Rule number #1-No stilettos in winter or when you are pregnant... be smart that your fashion sense. Rule number #2-Never admit to such idiocy! Be smarter than your behavior.

anneht 5 years, 4 months ago

Coincidentally, I have just finished a book called "God Said Yes" by Heather Hornback-Bland which is a true story of a 4 year old little girl falling out of the family car and being run over, on her stomach, by her mother, who couldn't decide whether to go forward or reverse. The child had 187 sybsequent surgeries, grew up to have a fairly normal (?) life, married and had a child. She has held very responsible jobs and is now a motivational speaker!

redmoonrising 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad this had such a good outcome for both mother and baby. Still, I'm scratchng my head on this one. If she was eight months pregnant in January and didn't deliver until April, even if it was late January and early April, isn't this an extremely long pregnancy?

Some advice here. Don't wear stillettos outside in the winter, especially if you're pregnant. Wear the sneakers and change once you're safely inside again. I'm still trying to figure out how from reaching for the top of the car one hits the gear shift. Either steering wheel or floor mounted, it would be hard to reach either gear shift without falling inside the car instead of out. I have to be inside my car to even reach it. I'm sorry, Jessica, but I guess you do win the clutz of the year award. Again though, I'm so happy that it worked out so well for you and your child. Be careful!

GardenMomma 5 years, 4 months ago

Ok, first, I very glad that mother and baby are all right and no permanent injuries.

But why in the world are you wearing stiletto heels in icy winter weather when you are eight months pregnant?!?!?

rbwaa 5 years, 4 months ago

what was she thinking? ...oh, that's right, she wasn't.

BigPrune 5 years, 4 months ago

stilleto heels, 8 months pregnant, and good looking - an almost deadly combination.

handlon 5 years, 4 months ago

She must have dyed her blond hair brunette in the above photo.....

BigPrune 5 years, 4 months ago

She had a rendezvous with her Rendezvous because of a rendezvous.

I_Bejewel 5 years, 4 months ago

There's so many things that can be said about this story, but wha't confusing me right now is: If she was 8-month-pregnant in January, how in the world did she not give birth until April? Probably some way that's possible, but it just seems that baby said, "hey mom, I'm not coming out until you smarten up, lest you accidently roll the SUV over me."

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

This happened in January? Must have been the fault of Barrack Hussein Obama! He took office in January.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I too would like to know why and how she gave birth at 11 months. She was in a walker for several weeks, yet immediately after the accident she got up and chased the car around the cul-de-sac. She was concerned about what the car might hit, but never once thought about her unborn baby.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 4 months ago

"...it ran over her abdomen, missing her unborn baby by inches."

Remember, it's not a "baby" if it's still in the womb. It's a "fetus" or a "pregnancy" or a "mass of cells." C'mon, LJWorld. Get your politically correct terminology right nex time.

Note: I'm being sarcastic here. We all know it's a baby, whether born or not yet born.

introversion 5 years, 4 months ago

"At the time, King said she wasn’t thinking about her injuries, or her unborn child. Several of her neighbors had new cars, and she didn’t want her car to hit them, or worse, run into a neighbor’s house."

This, folks, is a fantastic example of the difference in suburban mentality between east and west Lawrence. We have a pregnant woman who's more worried about her neighbors' new cars than her baby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad everything turned out ok, it's just a great example.

coolmom 5 years, 4 months ago

it was an accident. being hugly pregnant can cause all kinds of things. i was once captured by a large chair and couldnt escape at the end of a pregnancy. stuff happens.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh good lord! I can't stop scratching my head on this one. Stilletto heels are for after the delivery, sweetie. They don't have the best traction on ice. I was stupid enough to wear a pair in winter, and slipped and fell on ice. But, I was 15, in high school, and not responsible for an unborn baby. I am grateful that neither King or her baby were harmed. But wake up, woman! Screw the new vehicles in your neighbors' driveways. I'll bet those vehicles were insured; full coverage. I can't believe this lady allowed herself to be quoted as saying she wasn't thinking about her injuries or her unborn child. Multi, very good point. The baby girl could one day use this in her emancipation hearing. I'm going to sound very 1950'ish, but husband and father, take the keys away, or buy her cab rides to all future Mary Kay meetings.

openyourmindandshutyourmouth 5 years, 4 months ago

Don't you guys think you're being a little harsh? Sorry not everyone can be as perfect as those who are judging! Jessica is a close personal friend of mine and mistakes happen. While it's true that maybe stilleto's weren't the best choice that day, there was a patch of ice on her driveway that was missed, not a big ice slick and she was only going a few blocks and then would be inside. Yes, she was wearing a coat, and the stabs to Mary Kay are uncalled for. The paper contacted her about this story because they had seen the info in the accident reports and wanted to follow up, but now she only feels bad. Why does everyone have to be haters? I know it sounds bad that she wasn't thinking of her baby at that second, but in such a moment of crisis, it is possible to forget you are even pregnant as you are watching your car roll over everything in your neighbors yards, and while it's true she was able to get up right when it happened, once she was at the hospital in Topeka, and her legs started bruising and swelling, she couldn't move them for a couple of days and it was thought by the doctors that they may be broken. She still has a big deep bruise. And she was barely 8 months pregnant in Feb. when this happened, then gave birth in early April. That's 40 weeks folks, or 9 complete months. Let's all get a life and stop attacking people for their mistakes.

GardenMomma 5 years, 4 months ago

Just about any pregnancy book you read (and any doctor) will tell you that heels are not a good idea to wear when you are pregnant. Your center of balance is shifted and a fall is more dangerous.

She's really lucky that a) her baby is all right, b) she can walk, and c) they both lived to tell the tale.

Agreed, the Mary Kay bashings are a little uncalled for, but the heels are a no brainer. It wouldn't matter if she never walked outside or if it was dry as a desert, wearing heels when you are pregnant it not a smart move. Period. You could fall and seriously hurt yourself and/or the baby.

Jessica admits that she's a "klutz" and if you've ever been pregnant youself, you know that you are even more prone to "klutziness."

Once again, glad everything worked out and hopefully next time she'll know not to wear high heels.

gccs14r 5 years, 4 months ago

I want to know how she managed to knock it into reverse when there is an interlock that requires the brake pedal to be depressed before the shifter will move.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

"Don't you guys think you're being a little harsh?"

I thought that when I looked at your profile it would show you just joined up today, but it seems you've been here for quite some time. I would think you would have been desensitized to this sort of thing by now. ;)

Nothing good ever comes from reading comments on stories that you have a personal connection to.

Nikki May 5 years, 4 months ago

Most of the things I wonder have been asked, but there's one I wanted to know. Don't most newer vehicles have a safety mechanism where you have to be pushing the brake down (on an automatic transmission) to switch it into gear? And by newer, 2002 or more recent is newer. I have heard that they don't all have this feature when it's NOT running, but I thought they did when it WAS running. And, I believe the rendezvous has it's shifter on the steering wheel.

Sounds like a freak accident.

jaywalker 5 years, 4 months ago

Beautiful baby. Lovely woman. Glad they're both ok.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

If both her legs had been broken I doubt she would have got up and ran after her car. She must have a really, really high threshold for pain. At no point did she think of calling 911? She drove herself to the hospital which is something I don't believe that most women could have done. Why is it that no one in the neighborhood saw or heard what was going on and came out to investigate?

openyourmindandshutyourmouth 5 years, 4 months ago

Irish, her neighbor came out and called 911, but in her frantic state at the time she decided that getting herself to the hospital would be faster than waiting on an ambulance. I don't know about the brake, shifter thing either. I don't know if she never did get it into park all the way before she slipped or what, but freak accidents just happen sometimes.

Jonas_opines - you're right, nothing good ever comes from reading stories you have a personal connection to. I usually stay away from stuff like this, but Jessica was so upset that people were thinking she was a bad person/Mom, and that she was reflecting negatively on Mary Kay. I told her to just not worry about it but I told her I would come do some damage control.

chizzygirl - You're right, she is soooo fabulous!

kansas_o_kansas 5 years, 4 months ago

I wouldn't say this if anybody had been seriously hurt. But since every one's ok, this has to be just about the funniest story I've read in a long time. An "I Love Lucy" moment for the new millenium. And the Mary Kay factor is just the perfect capper. Night of the Mary Kay Commandos, anyone? Wow, those Mary Kay ladies are tough..very tough...

rgh 5 years, 4 months ago

So she wasn't all that bright in wearing heels in icy weather. How many could be run over and still try to get the car stopped a second time let alone being 8 months pregnant.

This gal has guts and I'm sure glad her baby was unharmed and is doing fine.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry but I find no humor in how she did this. Heels while that pregnant; in the winter; no concern for the baby, just the neighbor's cars.

Bad choices all around and nothing that I would find to ever laugh about....

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

I wondered that too Seamus...why in heck not just name her 'daisy' in the first place instead of giving her an unpronounceable/unspellable name!

already said but worth repeating: stilettos on ice? right, says volumes.

and nix the Palin ref MD, in that weather Sarah would be wearing very sexy high boots...yum.

---can we put her back into high school anglish, too?

oh, hubby, your name's 'king' or 'allbright' or something else...call your doc and get a perminent script for valium as I think this is only the beginning for you. you've got a very long road ahead of you boy! very long indeed.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I still say the woman is a total airhead. It sounds to me like she is more worried about Mary Kay than her daughter. She can always have more children, but there is only on Mary Kay, right? I take it she missed that meeting. Was she penalized?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Why doesn't the story name her husband? It named her mother-in-law. According to Google there is no such name. Frankly I like the name bearded_gnome, it makes me think of Tolkien and Frodo.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

chizzygirl Your remark says more about you than it does about me.

zzgoeb 5 years, 4 months ago

Well, I'm glad everyone is ok...now let's talk about the REAL issues.

This woman should have lost her driver's license for oh, 3 to 5 years! Has she never heard of the parking brake, or never leave the vehicle door open with the engine running? And the car lapping the block could have killed or maimed how many people? And yeah, the stilettos are mandatory in the ice and while giant pregnant! I keep thinking about how this just missed being a Darwin Awards report? We hate to stereotype women that sell MK, are a klutz...PLEASE!!! Oh, and what "Name the Baby" book did she find the wee one's name?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

--||A L E R T ||----||A L E R T ||-- Five Bell Teletype Alert! --||A L E R T ||----||A L E R T ||--

Irish just referred to another woman as an "airhead!"

--|| Alert ends here. ||-- --|| Alert ends here. ||--

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Cheesie-girl, apparently you need the same language classes your pal does! look at your writing, take a 'minuet' and look bcuz yer all ovr the place.

did it occur to you that I might have spelled it "anglish" to poke fun at your dangerously clutsie pal who can't speak american english???

now, other questions: what the heck is 'pulling a hot chick-a-dee?"
is that a secret, inside Mary Kay, slang term you get with the decoder ring, secret underwear, and the handshake?

and if you have trouble conceiving of what a bearded_gnome is...well you really are a sad case Cheesie-girl.

train wreck, indeed. and why is this even in the august 16th newspaper, when all the events happened months ago? why now?

honestly, some of this story sounds rather suspicious to me.

and while I enjoy poking fun, I agree 100% with Gootsie, a noble member of our fraternity Cheesie-girl. while the car was on autopilot, its not out of the question it could've hit a gas meter on the side of a house, crashed in the front of a house, killed somebody, etc.

oh, Irish, yes bearded_gnome does come from mythology, only much older than Froto but you're in the ballpark.

note, we do know all SUV's are evil...especially when operated by stiletto-wearing future soccer moms.

Suppose, ...

just suppose ... Cheesie-girl is actually a cousin of Jessica King?

...

just think of the possibilities.

'Yall don knw her, shes a gud mom and luvs her baby. yall shud stop hackin on this woman my frnd [actual cousin] and lay off off her, shes bin thru enuff and all this is reeely gettin to her. if yall keeep this up, Ill complayn!'

ursulabirtha 5 years, 4 months ago

I do not understand why this even made the paper. Why would she tell this story to the newspaper, it just makes this women look like an idiot. Just stupid!!!

maffupps 5 years, 4 months ago

And to think I actually gave this woman's intelligence the benefit of the doubt until "chizzygirl" and "openyourmind" put in their two cents. How wrong I must have been!

Lacy Mohler 5 years, 4 months ago

"I usually stay away from stuff like this, but Jessica was so upset that people were thinking she was a bad person/Mom, and that she was reflecting negatively on Mary Kay."

Jessica pretty much lived up to people's impression of Mary Kay.

Someone gave me a Mary Kay scent for a gift once. It should have been on a toxic chemical list. I raised three boys and used up the perfume deodorizing their toilet.

BigPrune 5 years, 4 months ago

I watched the video of this girl. At the very end of it, in reference to her family making fun of her she says, "Every Christmas, everytime, uhhh they make fun of me." Didn't the accident happen in January?

Jaylee 5 years, 4 months ago

this is the singularly most aggravating story i have read in recent memory.

reminds me of my baby's mother with the stillettos on ice b.s. and it makes me want to yell "WHAT IN THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!?!" at her.

glad she's ok, but dang, what a dangerous way to be braindead... "wasn't thinking of my unborn child" about sums it up.

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

PG, not a bad inference.

however, I think regarding the name you're probably still giving her far more credit for introspection and circumspection than she deserves. my guess: she took seven Scrabble tiles, tossed them up in the air, then checked what they spelled when they landed.

"britney spears of Douglas county" now, we don't put up with insulting people on this forum, even if they're international music stars.

maffupps (Anonymous) says…

And to think I actually gave this woman's intelligence the benefit of the doubt until “chizzygirl” and “openyourmind” put in their two cents. How wrong I must have been!

---yep, Cheesie-girl does such a great job of representing the vacuous lack of thought. wonder what those two girls do when they get together!

StephanieD123 5 years, 4 months ago

I am so glad you and baby are ok after this freak accident! You really need to switch to Arbonne International! Only good things happen to you when you go to an Arbonne spa! Comp plan more lucrative too!

StephanieD123 5 years, 4 months ago

An old wise man told me once: People do stupid things everyday, just don't try and break your record the next! Good advice for all!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Jonathan, I can't remember what I posted that was removed. Can you please e-mail me the post and why so I won't do it again? Thanks.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Just remembered, that was the one with the information about Ms. Albright. If it is on a public SRS website that anyone can read, what is the problem with putting it on here?

Linda Aikins 5 years, 4 months ago

I am curious if she used the word "stiletto" or if the writer took liberty and used it. Who uses the word "stiletto" unless there is a pole involved???

BigPrune 5 years, 4 months ago

Aiydasia....Deion.....can't drive.....obviously this girl is some sort of mixed race. Give the poor girl a break.

from the urban dictionary: chizzy 1 up, 4 down love it hate it

money, cheddar, cheese i got me some chizzy get this def on a mug Mug chizzie cheese money cash dough

by fashionfoe Apr 29, 2008 share this 5. chizzy 9 up, 12 down love it hate it

annoyed, angry, irritated, frustrated Steve continually poked Pete until he became very chizzy

kallip04 5 years, 4 months ago

Who cares what the babies name is? People all over America have unique names...hmm let's name a few...Oprah, Cher, Alannis, Aaliyah, Irving, Selma, Yul, Elvis, Barrack, etc! I mean who really cares enough to pick on the babies name? I think at this point you are just nit-picking the topic to laugh at someone else's expense. How unfortunate for you that you have nothing better to do than poke at a child's name!

Whether or not any of us agree with Mrs. King's decisions or judgments really has nothing to do with it. My hope is that you all realize the things that you are doing that we teach our children at small ages to NOT do. I sincerely hope that you who have been so quick to judge do not ever come into the spotlight. Nor do I hope that you've taught your children this same endless immaturity you all are portraying.

WHO CARES IF SOMEONE SPELLS SOMETHING WRONG? Accidents happen! Sometimes accidents happen on larger scales than others but the point is not about minute, unimportant things like names and spelling, the point is that this mother and this child are safe and that the child is well loved. Or do we in America no longer care about safety and love and life? We care more about picking each other apart to find each others imperfections? We care more about sitting on a computer all day thinking of "funny" things to laugh at instead of doing things like FINDING A JOB or actually working at it! No wonder we are in the mess we are in.

This child-like game of making fun of Mrs.King is embarrassing to us as Americans. No wonder we are so easily separated! How about this, let's try lifting up Mrs.King as I'm sure she already feels silly enough for her clumsy actions and public ridicule. Maybe what she did was ridiculous, it's not for me to judge, but at least I'm mature enough to realize that people make mistakes. As far as the SRS thing goes, I think people like you who bring this stuff up should be put under a microscope and analyzed. What have YOU done that could have looked stupid to others? What have YOU done that people would have questioned your judgment? Yes, Mrs. King put herself out there but that's because she's obviously too good for people like you who rip each other apart. And she's obviously used to the support she gets in her Mary Kay world. I know, I've seen the support they give each other. There's nothing like a group of positive, uplifting women who make good money!

Enough is enough. This is one little story is one little newspaper, there are far bigger stories you should educate yourselves on!

Mrs. King- I think you are a beautiful woman who looks like a kind and loving mother! If only more people had the sincerity you portray. I'm very happy that you and your adorable daughter are in good health. And good luck with Mary Kay, I'm sure you have the world waiting for you!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Cheesiegirl, btw, that's far from your only typo or bad grammar on this thread! yes, I spelled it 'clutz' and you noticed it better that way, didn't you?

chizzygirl (Anonymous) says…

bearded_gnome - why in heck (insert good anglish right here) not just name yourself “small statured fuzzy-faced man” in the first place instead of expressing yourself the way that you chose too? idk…maybe 'bearded gnome' has some special meaning only known to you :P let our imaginations run wild….

---you wanna come by wearing only stiletto heels babe? its you who seems to have some kinda wacko imagination! does the thought of wearing only stiletto heels turn you on? well does it, Cheesiegirl?

besides, how many pairs of the dangerous stilettos do you own that are over three inches in height?

oh and keep researching, gnomes have more roles in mythology, but you got a good start babe.

you keep getting your posts removed and you'll get yourself TOSsed off...and the collective IQ of posters on here will increase.

mickeyrat 5 years, 4 months ago

Apparently, BigTwink has a sister. Love it!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 4 months ago

Jonathan, thank you for removing chizzygirl's comments toward me. I really appreciate it. She is a very mean-spirited person and I would vote to have her permanently removed.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

I think I have to add another general rule.

The first, nothing good ever comes from reading comments on stories that you have a personal connection to.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

and Multi, you were a bad-bad child for mentioning SRS...now go wash out your mouth with soap.

Yes, problem had much more to do with Cheesiegirl in the latter 2/3 of this blog.
I vote with Gootsie. and again I add, Gootsie has been a noble member of us posters for several years. Cheesiegirl on the other hand ...

pinkgirljlk 5 years, 4 months ago

To all: It saddens me that there are so many bigoted, racist people that have nothing better to do than poke fun at others misfortunes. Let us slay a mother who had an accident when making a mistake, but it ultimately turned out well; but when a 26 year old man sneaks into a 12 year old little girl's room down the street in Lawrence and molests her, turn the other way. Seriously??? Get a life people

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 4 months ago

More proof that American cars hate babies!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

BigPrune, your comment does not make a lot of sense. I think you got two people mixed up. I can't drive and see no reason why I should. I named my cat Deion after Deion Sanders who played for the Cowboys. Got a problem with that. How about people posting their pets names?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Pinkgirl, I assume you are Jessica. I repeat, I'm glad you and baby are fine. also, I repeat the accident as described sounds a little "fishy" to quote Mr. Obama. and I sincerely hope you never wear stiletto heels in ice conditions again. pay more thought to your baby than your looks.

bigoted? racist? a bit of a leap for nearly all of the posts on hear.
now, if the parents of the 12-year-old little girl had given that sex offender the key to their house, we'd have been on that story like white on rice.

Who cares what the babies name is? People all over America have unique names…hmm let's name a few…Oprah, Cher,[short for Cheryl, an old name in our history] Alannis,[could be wrong but believe there was a linguistic root for this one] Aaliyah,[yes, another of the made-up names these days-parents trying to give their kids unique names either for their own image or as a 'short cut' to the kid's self-esteem] Irving,[you're kidding, right? Irving as a last name and first name goes way way back in american history] Selma,[named for an important place in american history? or, the name predated naming that place.] Yul,[?] Elvis,[Elvis "the king" was apparently not the first named "elvis."]

Barrack,[very old and noble Kenyan name, you translate it-it means something...Mr. Obama does not have the blood of american slaves flowing in his veins, because he is Kenyan] etc!

I hope that clears this up for you.

BMI 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad to see this woman and her baby came out okay.

I'm glad to see every sees this was problematic and most are having some fun.

I'm glad to see her friends come on here to defend her.

I'm glad to see from what they say she's fabulous.

I'm glad to know she must hate publicity because they want no one to notice that she was in the newspaper.

I'm glad to know she must hate publicity because she agreed to talk to the paper, get her photo taken, and then do a video for the same paper. What a cute baby.

I'm glad that paper is in the same town that she lives in, because no one she knows would ever see it, especially any potential Mary Kay customers, and I know she would hate it if anyone knew what she did that day and talked about it.

I know she must hate anyone looking at her or getting attention because she has a job that doesn't work with the public at all, she works for Mary Kay. And Mary Kay people hate it when people talk about them, they text each other and get really really....pink! You can tell when they been cut off in traffic, the cars become fuchsia.

I think she must just put the pamphlets in the folders, because my wife held a party once at that over glitzed, over perfumed broad stood up in front of a room full of people and claimed to do lots of parties. You have to crave getting attention to have that job.

They get to dress up all pretty and even earn a pink car that makes people look at you everywhere you go. Maybe the people who just put the pamphlets in the folders can't earn the cars that are attention-getting-pink, how prophylactic for Jessica.

Maybe Jessica did the news story so that if anyone had any questions about a job putting pamphlets in the folders for Mary Kay, they would know how to contact her since there is the map of how to get to her house, and now she is worried that this will make her look bad. That would be pretty smart for a pamphlet wrangler.

Or maybe the other posters are Mary Kay sales people that think this is making them look bad. pinkgirljlk couldn't possibly be a Mary Kay salesperson could it?

I also very glad Jessica wasn't on her way to an MADD, ABATE,or a Le Leche meeting. Just imagine.

I'm glad the red boxes are back.

I almost forgot the obligatory- eg

Eileen Jones 5 years, 4 months ago

Eight months pregnant, going out on the ice in stiletto heels...

and not embarrassed to talk about it!!!!!

I hope her child is smarter than she is.

acg 5 years, 4 months ago

Glad they're both okay. The baby is too cute for words. Not as cute as my baby, but... :) Neway, what I don't get is how she could even wear the heels that pregnant. Both of my pregnancies I hit 5 months and then my feet wouldn't fit into anything but foam flip flops or house shoes. My hat is off to her for being able to rock the look that preggo. I do think everyone should stop bashing her, Mary Kay and the whole unfortunate series of events. We've all made bad errors in judgment. Points in time we wish we could take back. Remember, all of you people that voted for Bush???

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

I think I have to add another general rule.

The second, nothing good ever comes from one of your more zealous friends coming on to defend and/or justify your actions. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This!

hooligan01 5 years, 4 months ago

All I can say is no matter how much of a "klutz" she is, shes freakin' hott in that picture.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

"jonas_opines - and what good comes from random people posting negative comments about someone they never met? This girl obviously lives in your community and will read the ridiculous mean-spirited comments you made."

Please reference the first rule. And I did not say anything mean-spirited about her. I don't think I've commented about her at all, past the two rules -- that you should review.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

chizzygirl,

I really don't care one way or another what you have to say even if it is just to be insulting. Your words have no power over me.

If you are that sensitive about what is posted on an anonymous forum about yourself or others, then you don't belong on one and shouldn't be reading one.

Pretty simple.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

With friends like chizzygirl, who needs enemies (or negative advertising by association for your home business, for that matter)?

Chizzygirl's choice of defense (insulting, belittling, etc.) of her friend's "honor" reflects poorly on her friend.

Multidisciplinary,

I can't for the life of me understand why this woman thought it was a good idea to wear heels while pregnant and during a time when it can be dangerous to walk on sidewalks and driveways. Most baby books advise against it because it throws off your already off kilter center of gravity. Most OBGYNs also advise against it.

Why would you ignore such advice? You would choose fashion over safely carrying your baby to term?

I don't get it.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

cheesygirl: I don't think you want me to answer that question, but I will.

You see, as you ask, nothing good ever come from the mean-spirited ones, aside from maybe humor value for the people writing them, but their existence on these sort of stories is inevitable.

You ask, then, why you shouldn't do the same. That's very simple. As you see, the makers of the comments are forum members, largely anonymous, and what they are saying will not come back to them. When you, who have already publicly said that you are a friend of the subject of this article, come out and say negative things, it reflects negatively on you, though again you don't suffer because of the same anonymity.

It does, however, reflect negatively on your friend, and helps to confirm the negative opinions of her, already fostered by the embarrassing nature of the article in question. And, of course, she is not sheltered by anonymity.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

chizzygirl (Anonymous) says… Believe it or not…there are actually good-hearted people who don't bother themselves with the comment sections of news articles and therefore, may have been quite shocked by the cruelness of some of the comments posted. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It is not your job to police those comments.

Stat_Guys 5 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of chattermouths, since chizzy seems to think it needs to be noted.

We just ran some stats on some top people and when we worked chizzy in with them she is running at 4th for most comments per day of those users at 8.666 in the 3 days she's been signed up and she just got here.

Stat_Guys 5 years, 4 months ago

Chizz, you need to note we only worked your numbers. We didn't say you were on that list.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

a prize to BMI on his 5;05pm post! very well done indeed.

I haven't mentioned this before, but here goes.

I think that schemes like Mary Kay and others where your "friends" are turned into sales contacts are very seriously flawed.

I think that many, not all, people who do this habitually have some moral weakness because of that.

my friends mean far more to me than potential sales. and I don't want my relationships punctuated with dollar signs and deliveries.

BMI's characterization is absolutely dead on.

also, note Katara is 100% correct. good that Jessica refers to the living thing inside her as her "baby" and not her fetus. but she obviously chose looks over baby.
now we learn this 'daisy' isn't her first. if she were Jessica's first, one could excuse some lapse.

and Cheesiegirl, truly you are just digging the hole deeper and you don't realize RI's train wreck ref meaning apparently.

no, Cheesie, I'm far deeper than you in your shallow mary kay life can comprehend. what's motivating me: I really hope other pregnant women learn from and avoid Jessica's choices [you and she call them mistakes] here; I'm criticizing lifestyle choices far too common in current day america (excessive focus on looks, baby naming more for ego of parents, egocentrism, etc.). I often use humor to make serious points.

Seamus, "vapid bimbos" LMAO! classic line. can we colaborate on writing a new reality series?

"The real vapid bimbos of douglas county." ...

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

BMI: I'm glad to see the other Mary Kay sales people come on here to post. I think all of the local Mary Kay sale persons, female, male or transgender should come on and tell us how they feel about it.

---do the male and transgendered Mary Kay reps have to wear stilettos too?

Kat is right, just as easily, because of Jessica's bad choice, followed by two or three other bad choices, we very well could have been reading the obit for her and her unborn child. She is right, there's leeway when you're pregnant, and she certainly didn't need to go out on such a day wearing shoes that threw off her already rearranged center of gravity.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

chizzygirl (Anonymous) says… Katara - I don't think you will ever get it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ You are absolutely right. I will never get how a pregnant woman would put fashion over the safety & well being of not only herself but of her unborn child. I will not also get the idea that some people, who are such delicate flowers, insist on reading things that hurt their poor e-feelings.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

chizzygirl (Anonymous) says… (I would posit that those good-hearted people who don't bother themselves with the comment sections (If that is true, then why would they be reading them? It is pretty clear when the article ends & the comment section begins.) probably are just as shocked at your comments, chizzygirl.) I think this was a little harder for her to ignore after the story hit and she had friends and family calling her to tell her what people were posting. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ So? Why would family and so called friends call a person up to tell them about things posted on an anonymous forum that the person might get hurt feelings about? Seems awfully sadistic to do that do a friend. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (One can look professional and fashionable in flats, BTW. And I'm sure her female clients and fellow Mary Kay sellers would be more than understanding as to the reason why. People tend to give pregnant women a bit more leeway on that type of stuff.) - I'm sure people would understand but it was a boot with a heel, I'm sure this was accident was not pre-meditated attempt to harm herself or her daughter. I actually remember her saying that those boots were the only pair of shoes that fit her swollen feet at the time other than flip flops. Maybe she didn't want to wear flip flops in the winter - maybe she would've slipped on the ice even if she had worn flip flops. I've slipped on ice wearing tennis shoes. So what DO you really know about anything? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I know that wearing heels while pregnant regardless of reason or season is not a smart thing to do. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (She showed poor judgment in choosing fashion over her safety. I'm sorry that you don't like it. I am glad that we didn't end up reading her and her unborn child's obits due to her poor judgment.) - and I'm glad the she and the baby are okay as well. A more accurate statement would've been 'she showed poor judgment in choosing boots to keep her feet warm vs. her toes freezing off' Ice is always dangerous in any situation. Hope your karma doesn't cause to slip, fall, and break your neck during the next ice storm. If so, I hope the LJW posts your story so we all have something to entertain ourselves with for at LEAST 3 days! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I doubt it would. I would not consent to an interview that highlights my poor judgment. If an article was written without my consent, I would also have the good judgment not to bother reading the comments about it. My family and my good choice of friends know this and would not be so cruel as to call me up to tell me about horrible things people said on an internet website.

BTW, your continued responses to the comments keep this article toward the top of the most discussed so if your friend would just prefer for all of this publicity to go away like a bad dream, you are not doing her any favors. But if your friend enjoys all the negative attention, by all means, carry on.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Kat, if I made such choices [not that I'll become pregnant...but equally bad choices] then I declare right now:

I would deserve the embarrassing article complete with picture. I would have earned the negative comments posted below that article by strangers. *and, I'd have the character to take my lumps and not go all whiney about it, because I'd made very stupid choices and really choices do have consequences.

luckily, thus far her baby hasn't seemed to suffer any consequences.

*sometimes to learn to make better choices, it does take suffering the consequences.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Cheesiegirl: have to check out your other posts which actually pertain to real child endangerment issues…crack babies, sexual abuse, shaken baby syndrome victims, etc…but

---yes, please read my other comments. you might, just possibly, learn something. and yes, recently I've commented quite a bit on domestic violence and sexual violence with the recent trial.

you haven't answered my question to you about your very obvious long stretch imagination. what about them stilettos, Cheesie?

I'm not buying the 'native heritage' rap, either.

and, yes, too often parents are naming their children without regard for the best interests of their own children. its more important to name their child as a personal accessory.

Cheesiegirl, you are continuing the train wreck. it isn't helping your 'friend.'

Christine Anderson 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, I just realized, I need to make it clear that Chizzygirl may be mistaken for me. Please, fellow posters, don't let this happen! Please let Chizzy rhyme with "dizzy", and don't call her Cheesegirl.

BigPrune 5 years, 4 months ago

Alright, I accidentally posted a preview comment above that did not make any sense. I tried to get it removed because it was in poor taste but oh well. I don't think the editor does me any favors ever since I had some blog drafts mysteriously posted during the presidential election.

Here's a trivia question: There was a baby girl in Texas who got stuck in a well. It was in the late 1980's.

What was this girl's first name?

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

chizzygirl: "Jonas - you're entitled to your opinion but you're wrong."

Sorry that you think so. Carry on, then.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 4 months ago

Ok Chizzy. I will type slowly so you will understand.

I did not attack your friend. I said she made a poor choice. There is a difference.

I also explained to you that the stilettos and stripper pole was a long-standing joke on here (ask Bob, Beatrice, MD, anyone who has been here longer than you have) about how we joke about it. If you felt it was about your friend, I apologize. I was just following our sillliness.

Now, you need to calm down. If you read my posts, I do not attack people and say mean spirited things. In fact, I try to make light of situations so it doesn't get mean. I believe you are the culprit there.

And i know this would NEVER happen, but I hope you are never my friend and come to my defense like this. I would be completely embarassed by your comments. I would take gnome with one arm tied behind his back before I would ever claim to know you.

but I will say, you are persistent.

sinverguenza 5 years, 4 months ago

I was always under the impression that two tons would crush a person.

Is this what we might refer to as "dumb luck"?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

wow! bizarre story!!

and multidisciplinary, i really got a chuckle out of your comments! :)

glad everything turned out okay for mama and baby. that's the bottom line and the most important aspect of the story.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 4 months ago

Its pretty obvious (to me anyway) she started to back out of the drive and then decided she needed to scrape her windows, when she did she forgot to put the vehicle in PARK. To error is human, just don't fabricate a half-arss'd story to cover it up. Some of you people really need to get a life!!! (stepping down from soap box now)

Linda Aikins 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi you are absolutely cracking me up! You are deserving of the Ms. Klondike 2009 designation.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree: Multi for Miss Klondike/lawrence, 2009! her post on possible distractors: priceless!

Gootsie, 'take gnome with one arm tied behind his back?' but then i couldn't type!

cheesehead we know you and care about you, and nobody will ever confuse "cheesehead" with "cheesiegirl." big difference between "chees" and "cheesie."

Pywacket (Anonymous) says…

OMG~ Such entertainment I've been missing while away. Stiletto-heeled bimbos and their loyal valley friends take on the discussion posse. Make that—vapid stiletto-heeled bimbos!

Keep the laughs coming, folks. Help cheesy reach her stated goal of being #1—while oozing #2 out of every pore. Whee!!!

---LMAO Gootsie. very well written indeed.

yes, Cheesiegirl, I've been called a "plant," an "LJWorld insider," "a supersecret hacker who can see everything [bwhahahahahahahahaha]," a secret agent.

Cheesiegirl you haven't done your friend any favors here. and is that you in Oklahoma, registered with starpulse? you're not even local to Lawrence?

oh, btw, for a good laugh, y'all go to urban dictionary, put in "stilettos" or "stilettos pumps." there's some amazing stuff there! but I ain't risking getting disappearededededed by posting the link(s)!
sheeeeeeeeeesh.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

[chees-ie as diminutive form] Main Entry: cheesy Listen to the pronunciation of cheesy Pronunciation: 'che-ze Function: adjective Inflected Form(s): chees·i·er; chees·i·est Date: 14th century

1 a : resembling or suggesting cheese especially in consistency or odor b : containing cheese 2 : shabby 3c, cheap [a cheesy girl]

and I do seriously feel that way about any of the multilevel marketing and other schemes that get you to turn friendships into sales contacts.