Letters to the Editor

Bizarre Cal

August 13, 2009

To the editor:

Once again, Wednesday morning, the editors treated us to Cal Thomas’ bizarre and anachronistic Calvinism on the opinion pages of the Journal-World. I would like to suggest that the editors relocate Mr. Thomas’ columns to the Faith Section and find a conservative commentator who is capable of making arguments without resorting to an amplified booming voice and fire and brimstone explosions like the Wizard of Oz.

Mr. Thomas, and the editors, succeed only in making themselves look silly and besmirch conservative ideas that I might otherwise agree with. Moreover, God feels the same way. He told me so just now.

Comments

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

I fail to see the point in writing an LTE about Cal Thomas.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

The problem with calling this an ad hominem attack is that it presumes that the writer chose to attack Cal Thomas as a person to avoid attacking the substance of his column. The problem is Cal's columns do not, generally, have any substance.

fuel_for_the_fire 5 years, 8 months ago

Every once in a while, you make a comment that makes me smile, jonas.

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

leave cal alone! His ridiculous and outdated thinking is EXACTLY what is needed. He is the perfect representative for the right wing. Fear, Fear, "wasn't that way in the 1950's" Fear, More Fear.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

fuel: Thanks, but I can hardly take credit for that. I'm only as good as the wonderful material on this site that I have to work with.

windex 5 years, 8 months ago

Puddleglum - That's exactly it. Perfect.

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

I guess this must've ticked off KC and the Sunshine Band and all you "intellectuals."

Left_handed 5 years, 8 months ago

The bizarre and obfuscatory Shanklandisms seemed mostly to be faith bashing ad hominem attacks. Pity that the LJW would print such a poorly thought out screed. I suppose it makes sense, given that it fits with the LJW's left-leaning ideology.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 8 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says… "It all about the end of life care and leaving it up to a group a bureaucrats under Obama's plan who then get to decide who gets to live and who gets to die."

Cappy says: Come on. Even you are smart enough to know that this isn't true...Aren't you?

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

Are you serious? They just changed the bill today and have removed that provision from the bill. I guess it's a great thing that these so-called anti-American, astro turf people spoke up at the townhall meetings so the democrats couldn't pull a fast one on that matter. Now on to other changes that need to be made.....

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

The lesson here, BigPrune, is not that calm and rational discussions will lead to better legislation, but that hysterical demagoguery and ignorance have prevailed, yet again.

sinverguenza 5 years, 8 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says…

I guess this must've ticked off KC and the Sunshine Band and all you “intellectuals.”

Well lies don't get more blatant than that, now do they? Big Prune, I leave you to your insane drivel.

Did anyone else catch NPR yesterday morning or the CBS news last night? Both had excellent examples of what "end of life" care could do to help those at the end of their lives, their families, and the system.

One featured a man whose father's doctors/nurses tried to take another blood test (costing hundreds of dollars) in his last few hours of life. An unnecessary, costly practice which could be prevented if patients were provided with end-of-life counseling, which would be voluntary and paid for under that provision in the bill.

Another story featured a terminally ill man, who through end-of-life counseling, was allowed to make the decision to spend his final days in palliative care at home with his family rather than being hooked up to tubes and placing even greater financial burden on his family.

The stat said 27% of Medicare's $327 billion budget is spent in the last year of life. Running how many unnecessary tests, I wonder? Another blood test - $400. Yep, you're still gonna die.

I'm 25 and have already discussed my wishes with my family and friends. Don't leave me hooked up to machines, don't fight to keep me alive when all I'll have to look forward to is pain and doctors, and when I die, see if you can drag my body to the swamp and let the alligators and mother nature take care of me instead of spending thousands on a funeral. Problem is, they might not be around when my time comes. That's why it's important to have a living will and the likes, and why providing this planning option through health care reform is an excellent idea for everyone involved.

Cal Thomas is a poor excuse for a journalist, but he sure does have spouting radical, biased, misleading and nonsensical opinions down. Good for him.

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

bozo, when Congress tries to fast track something without even reading the bill speaks volumes.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm not defending Congress or the way they are pushing these bills through, and I probably dislike as many of the prospective provisions just as much as you do, BigPrune, but for different reasons.

The "grassroots" uprising that we see from the right is based on almost totally on irrational fears and mis/disinformation. It does nothing to help establish the rational discourse we need to find workable solutions to a healthcare system that is both ineffective and obscenely expensive.

sinverguenza 5 years, 8 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says…

"Are you sure you're only 25 years old? You sound like a naive teenager to me. Are you gainfully employed yet?"

Oooooo ouch. Somebody get me a tissue - BigPrune has hurt my feelings! Good refute of the need for end-of-life care, big boy.