Archive for Thursday, April 23, 2009

Xavier Henry announces he’s coming to KU

KU recruit Xavier Henry, right, and brother C.J. take in the Late Night festivities in this 2005 file photo. C.J. was admitted to KU on Tuesday.

April 23, 2009, 11:32 a.m. Updated April 23, 2009, 12:34 p.m.

Xavier Henry: I'm going to Kansas

In front of about 50 people at his high school gym, Xavier Henry announced he would play basketball at Kansas. Enlarge video

— Xavier Henry is headed to Kansas University.

Henry, a 6-foot-6 guard from Putnam City (Okla.) High School, announced his intentions to play for the Jayhawks at a Thursday morning news conference in front of about 50 media members at the high school.

Henry's brother C.J., a 6-3 freshman guard from the University of Memphis, also announced he'll be headed to KU in a speaker-phone interview from Memphis.

"Next year, I'll be taking my game to Kansas," Xavier Henry said in his opening statement at the news conference. "That's all I'm going to say."

He had a lot more to say during interviews for the next 20 minutes.

"I grew up always wanting to go to Kansas," Xavier said. "I switched to Memphis because my brother was going there. Now, with coach (John Calipari) leaving (for Kentucky), we've decided to go to KU. I'm really excited. That's where my whole family played," added Xavier, whose dad Carl, mother Barbara and aunt Vickie all played for KU.

Xavier said he called KU coach Bill Self with his decision after working out in the high school gym two days ago.

"Coach Self was really excited, especially having the both of us. He is ready to get next season started," Xavier said. "He asked me, 'Are you sure?' He wanted me to be serious. I said I'm coming."

Xavier, the No. 8-rated high school basketball senior on and a McDonald's All-American, said the Jayhawks will have a great team next season.

"They said they will be close to preseason No. 1 without us," Xavier said. "Now I think we'll be one of the best teams. I think the sky is the limit."

C.J. Henry said he was equally excited about joining his brother at KU. Barbara Henry indicated that her son will be able to play next season without filing an appeal with the NCAA.

"We're very close. It's going to be fun to play with my brother," C.J. said. "It wasn't going to happen at Memphis. I think Kansas is a good place for us. It's where (Xavier) wanted to go in the first place. It will be a great experience. It will be fun."

Barbara Henry said she will be moving to Lawrence as well.

riverdrifter 6 years, 7 months ago

Should've been Kansas all along. Anyway, it's good that this saga is over with.

Brian Conrad 6 years, 7 months ago

YESSSSS!!!!! Trolls on our KU site, attempted to sway decision. HA. was sad how many UK fans were commenting last few days ... on KU articles. Thanks to the Henry family... now for the fun....
by the way still room Wall or Lance come get your ring also! First to sign gets a ring!!!! National Championship ring looks great in the NBA lockeroom. ask the Many KU players in the NBA how much fun!

StirrrThePot 6 years, 7 months ago

Soooooooooo the drama.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's coming to KU, but really--a press conference?? Further proof that this recruiting game and putting 18yo kids in the spotlight is going too far.

Satirical 6 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation. You won't regret it!

missmagoo 6 years, 7 months ago

BIGBEAR 6 years, 7 months ago

cant wait to see what 2 sets of brothers can do!

Rickyonealku 6 years, 7 months ago

OMG....what a year 2009-2010 will be.... Rock Chalk Jayhawks....lets start making those T-shirts.... Best year ever Chapter 2.

stephenj 6 years, 7 months ago

Does he really pronounce his name "zav-ee-yay"? I don't want to sound dumb when discussing this with my drinking buddies.

DRsmith 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes, that is how it is pronounced and I wouldn't expect his CJ to see much burn at his time at KU.

KU_PU 6 years, 7 months ago

jhawk_pirate 6 years, 7 months ago

I cannot even imagine the endless combinations we can have on the floor at any given moment ... we can even go 5-6 deep off the bench!

STARTERS: Collins, Taylor, X. Henry, Mc.Morris, Aldrich ROTATION: Johnson, Robinson, Withey, Morningstar, Little, Mk Morris

And we still have Reed and Releford plus the walk-ons (Teahan, Buford, Juenemann and CJ Henry).

Good grief!!! Can i graduate next year instead?? LOL ... Rock Chalk JHawk!

Mary Darst 6 years, 7 months ago

zay-vee-yay ????? Seriously. My clan will make up his name after we see him play..We usually have nick names for everyone.

nobody1793 6 years, 7 months ago

In the words of Phog Allen upon hearing that Wilt was coming to KU, "That's great. I hope he decides to go out for the basketball team."

LTownBaby 6 years, 7 months ago

We need some breaking news updates about Tony Gonzalez!

wysiwyg69 6 years, 7 months ago

what position was carl offered . assistant coach?

truman 6 years, 7 months ago

It is really annoying that these high school kids are holding press conferences. Yes, it is great he is coming to KU but the fanfare is too much. Just sign the paper !!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 6 years, 7 months ago

Earlier reports had his father stating he was ready for the pros. Seriously, How long do you think he will stay here in little ole Larryville???????????

All this enthusiasm is understandable, but today's reality speaks only one

Not found at the college level.

jaywalker 6 years, 7 months ago

High schoolers announcing at press conferences has been going on since the '80's, folks. Wake up!

lily 6 years, 7 months ago

Is it Carl who will be offered the job or mom Barbara since she's the one moving?

Kent Fisher 6 years, 7 months ago

I pray that Coach Self can control the Henry boys and keep compliant with NCAA rules...C.J. is a millionaire... I hope that he handles it well and doesn't get us in trouble at some point.

Xavier could have said something less self-centered instead of, "I'm taking my game to Kansas." How about, "I will be attending the University of Kansas." I don't like placing such emphasis on one player instead of the TEAM. This whole process was all about himself, and not enough appreciation for the team and university. Sometimes, you just wish for a solid 3-4 year kid instead of a prima-donna.

But alas, I am glad we have him. We needed a "go-to" guy to compliment Collins and Aldrich.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 7 months ago

All these kids think they are going pro after one year. It's amusing to watch them talk to themselves on tv and the print media. They get to college and find out life isn't near as easy as mommy/daddy made it for them at home.

ottmike 6 years, 7 months ago

Now BOY you's here for 4 ---ge it 4 years fors yos gos to da NBA BOY! heres

oldvet 6 years, 7 months ago

Gol dangit!!!

... comments heard from Lansing, MI, Louisville, KY, Memphis, TN, and Chapel Hill, NC...

georgiahawk 6 years, 7 months ago

You guys need to get over yourselves and your idea of what KU basketball is. It is time to trust Bill Self as a coach and what he thinks is good for the team. I read more of what was said at the news conference then what was shown in the article and I thought it was great that he said he always has been a Jayhawk fan and that he always wanted to go to KU! I think he will be a great addition to the team and I seriously doubt if Self will let him come in and be a ballhog or whatever you all are worried about! Let him come in without all of the preconceptions you negative nellies have to offer. He is the son of two KU players, welcome him as one of the family, one that will help us win a championship next year. I personally am excited about the possibilities, they haven't won a game yet but boy they will! Good job Bill!!!

blakus 6 years, 7 months ago

^^ agreed. And for all the posters saying 'why did he hold a press conference?'... ummmm, even no-name high school track 'stars' hold press conferences for signings.

labmonkey 6 years, 7 months ago

Bittersweet sports day. Henry comes to KU, but KC trades away Gonzalez.

optimist 6 years, 7 months ago

The kid put family first. Who can blame him for that. It was selfless on his part. I wish more kids were like that. It must have been tough for him to balance that loyalty with his dream of playing at Kansas. Once everthing seemed to fall in place for his brother it seems as though there was no hisitation from either of them.
They seem like good kids. I hope they have a good experience here at Kansas.

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

Anything to do with the Royals is bittersweet at best, isn't it? Or are things looking up?

unelectable 6 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the tradition of KU. Please stay for a couple of years and learn something while you help the team compete for championships.

penguin 6 years, 7 months ago

I never knew we had so many psychologists in this town before today. In addition, never have so few words evoked so much meaning for these would be psychologist...or Division I worthy basketball coaches.

Seriously on the press conference complaints. They have done this at every school that I have attended/taught at for kids attending D-I all the way down to CCs. It just happened that people showed up in force to this one. If he was a real show boat than the pc would have been more drawn out than it was.

How many conference titles and national championships does Self need to win before people in this town stop second guessing him? I am guessing he knows what he is doing more than any random person on here. Also I sure hope all you second guessers are ready to eat some crow again.

Oh well, I guess I should be used to it. Everyone complained about Mangino until 2007-2008...Orange Bowl=a little silence same with Self until 2008 and I thought we finally had silence until this came up. Although I am sure most of you complainers will be the first to rush Mass and proclaim you fandom if they are successful next year.