Archive for Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Long high speed chase ends near Kansas Highway 7

A police dash cam captured video of a high-speed chase that led officers through three counties last week.

April 22, 2009, 5:57 p.m. Updated April 23, 2009, 12:24 a.m.

Car chase spans 2 counties; 2 arrested

There were no major injuries in incident that began at 19th and Alabama. Enlarge video

Lawrence police arrested two people from Kansas City, Kan., in connection with an automobile accident in Lawrence and a chase that spanned Douglas and Leavenworth counties and ended with no major injuries.

Lawrence police Sgt. Damon Thomas said the chase started at 5:51 p.m. after a Lawrence police officer witnessed a noninjury, chain-reaction accident at 19th and Alabama streets.

Jenny Murtaugh, a victim in the accident, said she memorized the license plate of the car as it fled the scene.

“I stepped out of my car, and I could see that she was freaking out and getting ready to take off,” Murtaugh said.

Brandon Hermrick, another victim in chain-reaction accident, said he thought he was also bumped from behind as the light at 19th Street and Naismith Drive turned green.

“The person who had hit her (Murtaugh) had turned away and started speeding away. I honked at the cop who happened to be in front of me, luckily.”

That officer pursued the suspect vehicle, a black Toyota Celica, which reportedly ran red lights at 23rd and Massachusetts streets as well as 19th and Naismith during the chase.

The chase proceeded east out of town, headed north through Eudora then back west on Kansas Highway 32, which intersects Kansas Highway 24-40, and continued west, dodging spike strips along the way. At one point, the car’s two occupants switched positions, with the male ending the chase in the driver’s seat. With both the Lawrence Police Department and Kansas Highway Patrol cruisers in pursuit, the vehicle then headed south at Teepee Junction and it made its way eastbound onto the Kansas Turnpike via the center tollbooth traveling the wrong way and into oncoming traffic, according to a witness.

After about a half-hour, the chase finally ended near the off-ramp of the Kansas Turnpike and Kansas Highway 7, close to the Leavenworth County-Wyandotte County border.

Speeds in excess of 100 mph were reported. Thomas, the Lawrence police officer, couldn’t confirm that the vehicle had struck the spike strips that had been deployed, but by the time the car stopped, both of its passenger-side tires were worn down to the rims. He added that Douglas County officers were prepared to assist but were not needed.

The female suspect was booked in the Douglas County Jail Wednesday evening on a bond of $950. She was charged with fleeing and eluding officers, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a noninjury accident, failing to report an accident and no proof of insurance.

The second suspect, a 25-year-old man, was also booked Wednesday evening on a bond of $3,500. He was charged with driving without a license, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a noninjury accident, failing to report an accident, fleeing and eluding officers, driving while intoxicated, and driving while suspended.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

That explains the cop car that rounded the corner around my house at a high rate of speed.

Catalano 6 years, 2 months ago

Yep, he passed me on my way home along "the arterial to the south of us" and he was definitely on his way to the incident.

laika 6 years, 2 months ago

Yea, I´ve seen them up and down Connecticut in the span of 10 minutes. Cop was really going the second time.

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

Yet another reason why we need a bypass.

somebodynew 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, OK, we have plenty of information on the pursuit. How about the accident that started it???? You would think they could have put just the basics about it in the story?? Where was it, was anyone hurt, ...you know just basic reporting.

Lori Kampfer 6 years, 2 months ago

I was at the teepee junction when everything flew by....appeared to be a black or navy blue older sports car like an old celica. Hope no one was hurt. Pretty scary watching it all blow by.

Boeing 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes, clearly the police started the chase. They drove away from the suspect car at a high rate of speed, driving recklessly, and the suspect car chased them.

iLikelawrence 6 years, 2 months ago

I was at the initial scene going east on 19th just crossed Naismith; here's what I saw:

Traffic was clogged near the street next to the Naismith Towers. I didn't have a clear view but as there were three cars before me. What was interesting is the cars involved in the accident had a cop car right in front of them. He noticed something happened and I noticed that the car who ran for it turned his wheels and the reflection caught my eye. He was able to pull a U on 19th and the cop noticed. He gunned it and the cop was following him on 19th. I lost sight of them as they went through 19th/Haskell.

Quite an event for what was a trivial fender bender. As I drove by the cars looked fine. I'm guessing no license and/or insurance.

mommyoffour 6 years, 2 months ago

Would www.dgso.org show the arrest or would it be out of town?

cj123 6 years, 2 months ago

it is funny how it is always the cops fault, not the person leaving the scene of the accident!

mommyoffour 6 years, 2 months ago

He will probably get to go home and not have to pay for what he did.

janedough 6 years, 2 months ago

p>dgso.org does show the booking report. Suspect booked was female.

cds 6 years, 2 months ago

iLikelawrence (Anonymous) says…

Saw the guy being chased west bound on 32 where 24/40 and 32 come together on my way out to Bonner. I'd guess meth may have been involved by the way he looked as well as license and insurance. Damn stupid no matter what the reason was.

cds 6 years, 2 months ago

janedough (Anonymous) says…

p>dgso.org does show the booking report. Suspect booked was female.

Looked like 2 people in car to me, could have sworn it looked like a male driving, but these days you never can tell.

cds 6 years, 2 months ago

janedough (Anonymous) says…

p>dgso.org does show the booking report. Suspect booked was female.

Looked like 2 people in car to me, could have sworn it looked like a male driving.

1234 6 years, 2 months ago

I had just turned right off the one way headed west on 19th when they came down 19th headed east......Crazy speeds through town what are the cops thinking? We carry insurance to replace "property". No one can replace lives. I understand she needed to be caught but dang, lets not kill someone in the process. Glad to see no one was hurt! Them poor cops cars haha that motor was really singin when they came by my door at WHO KNOWS HOW FAST. Although it was cool to see...someone could have been seriously hurt or killed quickly.

janedough 6 years, 2 months ago

I am surprised, also, that they persued a chase through town during that time. The streets were busy and that was a dangerous decision.

iLikelawrence 6 years, 2 months ago

I was naive... it really didn't look like it was a bad accident but when heavy drugs involved I'm sure it looked like a 12 car pileup.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

I love how the experts already outthink the police and decide there shouldn't have been a chase! riiiiiiiiight.

no relatives of the fleeing wench posted on here yet? darn.

fleeing like that, I'm glad pd stayed on her!

good job ladies and gentlemen and thank you for your hard work today. I heard the sirens and inferred it was a pursuit. now, she's not loose driving on our streets.

topflight 6 years, 2 months ago

"He added that Douglas County officers were prepared to assist but were not needed." He Sheriff, when are your deputies going to help in a chase. I cannot remember the last time I read when they assisted. Worthless.

BalkansHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

"I was at the initial scene going east on 19th just crossed Naismith..........I lost sight of them as they went through 19th/Haskell."

iLikelawrence,

Were you chasing the chase?

iLikelawrence 6 years, 2 months ago

Balkins, Nope. There was few cars on 19th after Louisiana so it was a clear view all the way down. I was on a moped too so it would have hardly been a chase.

infidel 6 years, 2 months ago

A $950.00 Bail is crazy, that means she is out on the street driving again after posting $95 bail bond. I remember some article a some time back about Douglass county having the lowest bonds of all county's around us.

I wonder if the low bonds lead to a higher recidivism of local criminals while they are out on bond?

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 2 months ago

autie - haha

multi - i didn't follow it much either, but mommyof4 is probably right. just ship him home, why should we deal with him.

gnome - my thoughts exactly. i read some of the posts before i went to bed last night and figured there would be some relative posting on here this morning. maybe people have learned....or am i giving to much credit?

topfilight - i'm pretty sure they helped in the chase a few weeks ago b/c i remember seeing at least one.

we must of just missed it b/c my mom had come to pick us up to go to dinner. we went by way of haskell to 11th....you get the idea. i looked at our dinner receipt and it said we paid at 6:04. so we couldn't of missed it by much. i did notice on our way to dillions on 23rd that there were an awful lot of cop cars out and about.

redfred 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you Topflight - When is McGovern going to grow a backbone or other things and do away with the "no chase" policy?

baceman 6 years, 2 months ago

OMG, the lady travels 100MPH going the wrong way on I-70 (basically ready to kill people) and gets a $950 bond?????

There is something missing here! What do you have to do in Lawrence to get in real trouble?

Tony Holladay 6 years, 2 months ago

Baceman ... I think she just went threw the toll both the wrong way to get past the stopped cars. Then she got in the proper lane.

My cousin would never drive the wrong way down I-70. She used to be an honor roll student. :D

bangaranggerg 6 years, 2 months ago

I hope Lawrence gets these new E7 cruisers from Carbon Motors, I believe they would be a pretty good deterrent to dangerous high speed chases. Check it out: http://jalopnik.com/5223836/carbon-motors-e7-nypd-cool

Danielle Brunin 6 years, 2 months ago

lawrenceguy40, ha!

Centurion,

Not only was she an honor student, she used to donate puppies to the homeless! No way she ever would disobey traffic laws...

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 2 months ago

what use would puppies be to the homeless?

Danielle Brunin 6 years, 2 months ago

You're right, I forgot. She used to donate puppies,bunnies, AND rainbows to the homeless so there is no possible way she could have done this.

Melissa Lynch 6 years, 2 months ago

Whoa, the woman who started it only got $950, but the man in the car who finished it got $1250. WTF? Why would the man be charged more, because he failed at the end and caused the chase to be over? Because he has a penis? Makes no sense. They pretty much had the same charges.

Melissa Lynch 6 years, 2 months ago

Okay, he had one more charge - DWS 1st $250

I like looking at booking reports when I'm not on them.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

yer awl stuped, an you don reely know her! sheddup abotu her, shes a gug gurl and dont neede anyo dis crasy talkin!

besids, it was the copps fault there waz a chase, they scarred the bejesus outa her and she din kno what to do!

now, if we only had cousin.

you know, if only there were a roundabout at the east turnpike interchange, this all could've been prevented! geez!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

by the way, if any of you were aware sven tried to out me the other day, don't worry. he's completely out to lunch.

Danielle Brunin 6 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Multi!

bearded_gnome, You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to do the disarticulate trashy defense, but it was too much work. I particularly enjoyed "scarred the bejesus outa her and she din kno what to do!" Perfect written!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

Rodentgirl16, bearded_gnome, You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to do the disarticulate trashy defense, but it was too much work. I particularly enjoyed “scarred the bejesus outa her and she din kno what to do!” Perfect written!

you're welcome, that was fun, I felt better after typing that!

the only problem multi is who plays sven in the movie to get bumped off? Rodney Dangerfield? or, okay, the fish from the MCD ad? oh, it could be played by bill richardson! there ya' go.