Letters to the Editor

Animal control

April 21, 2009

To the editor:

As I was jogging on the sidewalk after work recently in broad daylight, I came upon a blonde woman with three small dogs. They were stopped in the grass doing what dogs do. As I passed on the sidewalk one of the dogs charged at me and bit me! Luckily it only got my shoe.

This woman then had the audacity to yell at me about how I should approach dogs when I am jogging. They could see me coming or at least hear me gasping for air for a whole block! I am an animal lover, and have two of my own, but control of your dog is your responsibility. I would guess she would be liable for any damage done to someone by her animal.

Griffith is from Lawrence

Comments

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 2 months ago

I think Cris wanted the blonde woman to be aware of whom he or she was speaking.

think_about_it 6 years, 2 months ago

Three blondes were walking through the forest when they came upon a set of tracks.

The first blonde said, "Those are deer tracks." The second blonde said, "No, those are elk tracks." The third blonde said, "You're both wrong, those are moose tracks." The blondes were still arguing when the train hit them.

think_about_it 6 years, 2 months ago

How do you keep a blonde busy for hours?

Scroll Down. --->

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 2 months ago

R_I - I have no idea what what the female knows. Perhaps Cris felt (I don't know what Cris felt either, this purely conjecture) that since the woman didn't seem to know that controlling her dogs was her responsibility, she wouldn't know the letter was about her.

Practicality 6 years, 2 months ago

One time, after reading stupid comment after stupid comment about people who were defending stupid people or stupid ideas, I pepper sprayed my stupid self so I would quit reading them.

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

The best blonde jokes I've heard were told by a blonde friend..........

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

The lawyers know the best lawyer jokes.............

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

And overweight people know the best fat jokes..............

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

a fat blonde attorney walked into a bar................

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

All joking aside, this is a problem.

Too many people don't have their dogs on a leash and/or let their cats roam the streets.

It is irresponsible and inconsiderate, as well as being against the law.

RoeDapple 6 years, 2 months ago

jafs, stop me if you've heard this. How did you know the punch line?

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

Although I am in no way defending this woman, the story is incomplete. We have no idea if the dogs were off the leash, and we don't know how he approached the dog. He could have come at running and it thought it was being attacked. Hopefully, they were on the leash.
But this is one way to get back at her - complain about her in the paper.

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

Whether on the leash or not, I believe it is the responsibility of the animal's owner to make sure it doesn't bite someone.

My wife and I have a small dog that tends to be a little aggressive with strangers, so we are very careful while out and about to give people plenty of room - in fact, I'll often cross a street if people are coming to avoid problems.

think_about_it 6 years, 2 months ago

Q: What do UFO's and smart blondes have in common? A: You keep hearing about them, but never see any.

kerplunkr 6 years, 2 months ago

smitty,

That's what I thought this letter was going to be about at first! I figured she was writing to complain that the woman didn't pick up the poop.

Speaking of poop, anybody agree that the city should put doggie bag dispensers on Mass? I'm getting sick of walking on poop everyday!

Going back to the point of the LTE, I agree that owners need to have control over their dogs. Just the other day some guy's mutt tried to attack my dog just outside of Free State while he was having a beer with his buddies. Thankfully my dog wasn't hurt.

somebodynew 6 years, 2 months ago

kerplunkr - just what kind of beer does you dog like?? Just curious, they have several good brands there. And who paid, your dog or his buddies??

make_a_difference 6 years, 2 months ago

One of my rules to live by is: My right to own a dog/pet does not supercede someone elses right not to be bothered/harmed by that dog/pet.

But sometimes things do happen even though a person makes every effort to be responsible & considerate...then it's a matter of making amends if possible.

I think that a person's true character shows in these kinds of situations.

kerplunkr 6 years, 2 months ago

somebodynew,

You know I'm just not responsible when using the passive voice!

At any rate, the owner of the mutt was having the beer. =D

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

And here I thought I was going to read an article about the Republicans in Congress.

But hey, I have no problem smacking an aggressive dog that is trying to bite me. I've found that if you charge back at a charging dog, they more often than not will tuck their tail and run.

somebodynew 6 years, 2 months ago

kerplunkr - I hope you know I was just having fun. I enjoy "misreading" the meaning of things sometimes.

AND please, please, please, don't think I want to start a grammar fight (or grammer - whichever). I just was funnin'

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

Just a typical Lawrence idiot with stupid dogs. I would've kicked the dog if it came towards me. Plus, that stupid pet owner would've seen me in court.

been_there 6 years, 2 months ago

Had a neighbor that was coming home one night and it was pitch black out. Girl was walking her black dog off of it's leash. She was on one side of the street and the dog was running around in a yard on the other side of the street. The dog, who the driver could not see because it was black, ran out in front of the car and he hit it. The dog ran off whelping his head off and the girl stood there screaming obscenities at the driver for hitting her dog like she was not at fault at all.

altarego 6 years, 2 months ago

been_there: If the dog hadn't been black you would have described it differently.

been_there 6 years, 2 months ago

The mention of the color was to show that it was harder to see than a white dog. And yes if it was white, I would have said the dog was white. The girl could not expect a driver at night to see a black dog running from the side and in front of his car. The dog should have been on a leash and on the same side of the road as she was. But then maybe you where joking given the discussion on a previous story, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. How about "a dog that was not blonde in color"?

Angela Heili 6 years, 2 months ago

As a dog trainer, I can assure Griffith that she was not in the wrong with the situation. The dog owner was. The reason for a leash law is to control the dog. The dog owner should have read the signals her dog was showing and corrected the dog long before it took off after Griffith.

If she, the dog owner, knew the dog had a propensity for attacking passing people, she should have done what several people have posted on here, yielded the sidewalk to the jogger, and had the dog sit or down while the person passed. Then afterward resume walking with her dogs.

As the leader of my "pack" of dogs, it is my responsibility, as it was the dog owner's in this situation, to pay attention to people approaching her. Any dog owner should always be scanning the area for individuals approaching, especially those with other dogs. This allows for preparation should another dog or a person approach in a manner that sets your dog off. Quite simply it's common sense and it's being a good dog person!