Letters to the Editor

Lights needed

April 18, 2009

To the editor: New tennis courts are being installed to replace the existing courts just southeast of Lawrence High School. However, no plans have been made to equip the new courts with lights. This is an extremely poor decision that does not consider how many Lawrence citizens use the existing courts at night.

Besides the casual players who come out to enjoy a healthy and aerobic activity after work, the lighted courts also host World Team Tennis matches, Lawrence Tennis Association matches and instructional sessions for children and other new and developing players. Without lights on the new courts, many of these activities will be severely restricted or will disappear.

For those in Lawrence who love tennis on either a casual or regular basis, I ask you to contact Lawrence City Commission members and the Parks and Recreation Department to urge that lights be installed on the new courts.

Buecker is from Lawrence

Comments

commuter 5 years, 8 months ago

Stupid decision. Maybe the next time they build a baseball field or softball field, they should put any lights for the fields until light are placed at the new tennis courts. The bad thing is before the LPRD & USD497 decided to to create the Lawrence High Football stadiumm having to tear down the tennis courts, there were lights at the tennis courts.

commuter 5 years, 8 months ago

Stupid decision. Maybe the next time they build a baseball field or softball field, they should not put any lights for the fields until light are placed at the new tennis courts. The bad thing is before the LPRD & USD497 decided to to create the Lawrence High Football stadiumm having to tear down the tennis courts, there were lights at the tennis courts.

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm not going to touch this one with all the flack I got for criticizing Parks and Rec for wanting to charge admission at the wading pool. I'm sure there are probably a few city commissioners who play tennis, though.

bonzo 5 years, 8 months ago

Why should Parks & Rec be responsible for the lights at a school district facility? If you want lights, complain to the district. They apparently have a ton of money for sports facility improvements.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe we should vote on a sales tax to pay for lighting.... after paying all the various taxes and fees... I can't afford a tennis ball.... but I do pay taxes so others can play...swim, ride, and of course take care of our downtown parking, lighting etc. ... oh almost forgot brick streets, round abouts, and consultants. Enjoy my money folks. I can't expect you to be satisfied, but try to enjoy something.

.. By the way, can we do something about the bugs that bother me at night. .. also I expect traffic signals to always be green when I need to go pay my taxes, fees and licenses..

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

Mr. Buecker is right (sarcasm). In this tough economic climate, what government needs to spend more taxpayer money on is lights for tennis lessons.

commuter 5 years, 8 months ago

Bonzo- the courts are owned LPRD, not USD497.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 8 months ago

I think this calls for fluorescent rackets and balls!!!